Where's Pc Gaming Standing?

• 137 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

pitty8982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 pitty8982
Member since 2008 • 1072 Posts

[QUOTE="Metroid_Other_M"]nope, cause half of his list are multiplat games. get over it._Pedro_

Get over what? This:

God of War 3 PS3 exclusive

Heavy Rain PS3 exclusive

GT5 PS3 exclusive

HaloReach 360 exclusive

Alan Wake360 exclusive

Fable 3 360 exclusive

Crackdown 2 360 exclusive

Metroid Other MNintendo Exclusive

Super Mario Galaxy 2 Nintendo Exclusive

New ZeldaNintendo Exclusive

Red Dead Redemption Multiplat

Bayonetta Multiplat

Darksiders Multiplat

Metroid_Other_M

hmm..but you won't get those games for Pc. as far as I know FFXIII is not coming to Pc either.

As much as I love gaming on Pc, I hate the fact that Pc doesn't get enough love from the devs.

Consoles should stay consoles, instead of interfering with the Pc world.

That's why I loved the Snes. that was a real console. just an example.

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102 IgGy621985
Member since 2004 • 5922 Posts

[QUOTE="aia89"][QUOTE="IgGy621985"] you're an honest pc gamermalikmmm
and this person isnt ? "down"

this generation alone it has more high scoring exclusives than the 3 consoles combined.

CaseyWegner

and AdrianWerner "gaming list"

Look, you people can always point to AdrianWerner's gaming list like it's a freaking messiah of the PC gaming, but the reality is, 90% of you so-called hardcore PC gamers wouldn't touch about 70% of those games from the list. I mean, I don't even remotely care about many of those games because many of them look just like crap. After some reviews (IF they receive any review, that is), it just gets confirmed they're crap.

So, PC gaming needs a big punch in the ass to get things moving, because currently situation with it is just sad.

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 NVIDIATI
Member since 2010 • 8463 Posts
[QUOTE="aia89"][QUOTE="IgGy621985"]

Well, I'm a PC gamer and I must say that PC gaming currently pretty much sucks.

you're an honest pc gamer

So because I think PC gaming is great right now it means I'm not being honest?
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#104 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

PC also has TONS of exclusives aswell. Napoleon Total War, Starcraft and Knights Of The Old Republic (the next Bioware masterpeice) just to name a few.

Been gamign for over 24 years on both PC and consoles and IMO PC gaming is still alive and well.

Not to mention PC gets the best version of Multiplat games aswell 95% of the time.

DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#105 DJ_Headshot
Member since 2010 • 6427 Posts

[QUOTE="malikmmm"][QUOTE="aia89"] and this person isnt ? "down" [QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]

this generation alone it has more high scoring exclusives than the 3 consoles combined.

IgGy621985

and AdrianWerner "gaming list"

Look, you people can always point to AdrianWerner's gaming list like it's a freaking messiah of the PC gaming, but the reality is, 90% of you so-called hardcore PC gamers wouldn't touch about 70% of those games from the list. I mean, I don't even remotely care about many of those games because many of them look just like crap. After some reviews (IF they receive any review, that is), it just gets confirmed they're crap.

So, PC gaming needs a big punch in the ass to get things moving, because currently situation with it is just sad.

who ever said you need to play and enjoy all of them :? bottom line theres alot of games coming out for pc each year and diffrent genres appeal to diffrent people. And with so many games theres bound to be crappy ones but this applies to pretty much everything. But i just weed out the bad games and play the good games that interest me. and 30% out of his 200+ games on the list that's 60+ games i will get to play in 2010 :D even if only half are decent still 30+ games to play plenty to keep me occupied.

bigblunt537

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#106 bigblunt537
Member since 2003 • 6907 Posts

[QUOTE="Arctic_Grillz"][QUOTE="longtonguecat"]

+2

vashxsk8erx12

+3

+4

Im sorry, but SC2 alone out beats any game releasing this year.

If you are an rts fan or if you loved the original. I hate rts's and I never liked SC that much so it defintiely wouldn't be that amazing for me. Point being is that all of this is based on opinions! Opions! Opinions!! Opinions!!!

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 NVIDIATI
[QUOTE="bigblunt537"]

[QUOTE="vashxsk8erx12"]

+3Arctic_Grillz

+4

Im sorry, but SC2 alone out beats any game releasing this year.

If you are an rts fan or if you loved the original. I hate rts's and I never liked SC that much so it defintiely wouldn't be that amazing for me. Point being is that all of this is based on opinions! Opions! Opinions!! Opinions!!!

True opinions are important, but Starcraft 2 being the best in 2010 is fact :P.
pitty8982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 pitty8982
Member since 2008 • 1072 Posts

PC also has TONS of exclusives aswell. Napoleon Total War, Starcraft and Knights Of The Old Republic (the next Bioware masterpeice) just to name a few.

Been gamign for over 24 years on both PC and consoles and IMO PC gaming is still alive and well.

Not to mention PC gets the best version of Multiplat games aswell 95% of the time.

kozzy1234

you can't really do this comparison, because Pc is just too generic. if games perform well and look better, it's because of the more powerful hardware, not because they made it to look better on Pc. you generally just get a porting, which gets enhanced according to your computer specs. so, nothing to rejoice about, really

DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 DJ_Headshot
Member since 2010 • 6427 Posts

[QUOTE="kozzy1234"]

pitty8982

you can't really do this comparison, because Pc is just too generic. if games perform well and look better, it's because of the more powerful hardware, not because they made it to look better on Pc. you generally just get a porting, which gets enhanced according to your computer specs. so, nothing to rejoice about, really

better then not getting them at all *looks at wii*
_Pedro_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#110 _Pedro_
Member since 2004 • 6829 Posts

hmm..but you won't get those games for Pc. as far as I know FFXIII is not coming to Pc either.

As much as I love gaming on Pc, I hate the fact that Pc doesn't get enough love from the devs.

Consoles should stay consoles, instead of interfering with the Pc world.

That's why I loved the Snes. that was a real console. just an example.

pitty8982

Yeah those games aren't coming to the PC, but Halo isn't coming to the wii or PS3 either. Have to agree with you though, I feel consoles are becoming to much like the PCand losing their own image. (yeah I miss my snes aswell)

Hanass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#111 Hanass
Member since 2008 • 2204 Posts

Right, so the "console exclusives" count as games for the Xbox 360, but don't count for the PC because it's a multiplat?

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 NVIDIATI
[QUOTE="pitty8982"]

[QUOTE="kozzy1234"]

Generally, but basically everything from and after the Nvidia 8000s / ATI 3000s cards are better than console hardware. Most people who game on PC now have hardware from that time or they have newer hardware.
Chrome-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#113 Chrome-
Member since 2009 • 1744 Posts
Who cares? 90% of all PC gamers are pirates.
NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 NVIDIATI
Who cares? 90% of all PC gamers are pirates.Chrome-
:? How do you come up with these numbers?
Hanass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#115 Hanass
Member since 2008 • 2204 Posts

[QUOTE="AnnoyedDragon"]

[QUOTE="Metroid_Other_M"]

I'm afraid your attempt to invalidate this statistical "fact" isn't working because you have failed to elaborate.

[QUOTE="Metroid_Other_M"]

The truth is consoles get nice exclusives aaaaaaand multiplats as well, and they build these games with consoles in mind, not Pc. so they're optimized for consoles and then ported over the pc. "multiplats have lots of issues on consoles. 30 fps is bad, tearing is bad, frame drops are horrible" that's what we always hear from pc gamers, who claim their Pc to run games at 60 fps FTW with 680 x aa and such. yes, you can do it, all you need to do is upgrade your pc every 2-3 years and then you brag about being able to max all the games out. then the next gen comes out, the new consoles set new standards and your gaming Pc is already old. how about it?Metroid_Other_M

I get the impression you took offense, hence this little rant of yours that doesn't actually address anything. I'm surprised to see a console gamer take pride in the fact that they are the lowest common denominator, because that's what you are gloating about with your "they build these games with consoles in mind, not Pc" comment. You do know what being the lowest common denominator means right? Not a label to hold with pride.

Also for the record consoles don't get many exclusives, they buy them. PC exclusives are more meaningful because the developers chose of their own free will to develop their game for PC. Consoles however, they don't seem able to convince developers to remain exclusive. Hence why the majority of games you will likely bring up will either be developed or paid for by the 1st party, there is very little 3rd party development on consoles anymore.

So between being the lowest common denominator, being a cross platform dumping ground and being unable to convince many developers to remain exclusive without outright paying them; console aren't really in a position to criticise PC.

I'm not criticizing Pc, I'm rather criticizing those who see consoles like garbage.

:roll: The hypocrisy is unbelievable. In SW, everyone is bashing the PC and talking **** about it. Just look at this thread. But no, you won't end it here, right? Every time someone creates a thread saying that PC isn't a ****ing piece of dog crap, they are immediatedly flamed for being an elitist, because somehow, defending your own platform = seeing the other platform as garbage. But hey, you have the unbiased moderators on your side, so you can flame on without being touched.

For the grande finale, you actually have the balls to accuse PC gamers of insulting console gamers. And mind you, they never actually post threads, because those are made by console fanboys who try to make PC gamers look bad. Man, this feels like WWII all over again. Blame your misery on the Jews so you can kill them all without remorse.

AnnoyedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 AnnoyedDragon
Member since 2006 • 9948 Posts

Honestly people are so used to the idea that PC gaming is in trouble that they never question it, it's just a given, a default position. But the moment I suggest console gaming isn't too healthy these days; they freak out. What? Console gaming in trouble? Ha! The idea is ludicrous to them. They don't need any evidence to declare PC gaming dead, but they will completely disregard all the evidence you present the console market isn't doing too good; because they reject the idea outright.

This is reflected in all their arguments, they are completely uninterested in looking at anything that suggests something is wrong with console gaming, to the point that they make a fool of themselves with some of their arguments.

Take for instance this line we hear all too often "PC developers fleeing to consoles". Anyone with eyes would recognise the cross platform orientation of this generation, they will recognise a significant number of games are going cross platform on both console and PC. But some people are just so unable to look a little closer to home they actually only note the PC games going cross platform, its ridiculous and I don't know why this highly flawed argument is perpetuated on the console end to this day.

When I look at the console market today I see multi billion dollar companies unable to attract exclusive 3rd party development; were as a platform that offers them no financial incentives can. I see supposedly popular platforms having to pay game developers to remain exclusive while PC takes the lead in exclusives. I see consoles being treated like a cross platform dumping ground, as shown by the exclusive to cross platform ratio, an accusation that still gets used against PC despite it being truer about consoles. I see console companies having to pay for exclusive content in cross platform games; while some developers bring PC exclusive benefits in their games without being paid a penny.

People try their very best to drag the image of PC gaming through the muck; and yet time and time again I see this supposedly dying platform stands head and shoulders above the multi billion dollar investments consoles are getting. What are you going to say? What could any of you possibly say to me that is going to diminish how I view my platform when I see the console business model falling apart right in front of me? Every criticism out there doesn't change what is in fact going on. You can talk about piracy and sales and all the doom preaching all you want, you can even pull the preference card and try to pass it off as everyones opinion, PC is still here and it is out performing consoles in developer support.

What more is there to say?

lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 lowe0
Member since 2004 • 13692 Posts
[QUOTE="Mitjastiskovski"]

[QUOTE="lowe0"][QUOTE="Mitjastiskovski"]

The FAIL is strong in this tread. PC Gaming is above all three consoles. In terms of games and hardware it's miles ahead of the consoles. What console fanboys forget is that consoles are exacly the same as a PC. Everything that is used in todays console comes from PC, every new gen consoles just copy the latest PC hardware and then sticks it's own name on.

CPU's, GPU's, Hard-drives, Online gaming, HD Resolution gaming all came from the PC gaming. Just like DigitalDistribution will come to console next-gen. The fact is consoles are 5 steps behind all the time and each new gen, they catch up only to fall behind again. It's a never ending cycle. Console will always stay behind in development.

Console is a PC. Try and get that though your t*ick fanboy skull

The cult of hardware worship strikes again. The components of a console may be PC-derived, but the built-for-gaming frameworks and UI designed for use from 10' away make consoles something entirely different from a Windows PC. You can try to retrofit these things onto Windows, but reducing Windows to a level suitable for use on a console would mean giving up a lot of the flexibility that PC users value. Control or simplicity - you can't have both. Consoles are truly gaming appliances, regardless of the hardware in them.

Yeah consoles use PC-derived hardware but the frameworks and UI is designed to make a console a closed off platform. And for the record consoles are not a simple gaming appliances, in fact every new gen they seem to go more towards the PC route, so that you can do multiple things on them. Today consoles, you can watch movies, browse websites, listen to music, stream movies and videos etc. By the looks of things, console are not just simple gaming machines that only play games far from it. They smell to me more like cheap PC that is locked down by big corp like Micro$oft and $ony so that they can charge you extra for nothing.

A Console is basically a PC with a controller and less freedom to do what you want with a product you paid your hard earned cash for. A milkage machine basically

You completely miss my point. Designing software for a console means casting off what allows a PC to run things like Excel or 3ds max. For example, the XMB - it's a very simple design. You basically have 6 options: select category, select within category, and up to 4 items bound to the face buttons and explained on-screen. That's it. No mouse cursor. Text entry needs to be kept to a minimum. The entire interface needs to act as a stack, instead of an enumerable collection of windows. You simply can't design an interface like that unless you control the apps that are going to be run on top of it, and MS can't do that with Windows. Then there's the question of the underlying OS frameworks. Take identity management, for instance. On the PC, there's Xfire, Steam, Gamespy, etc.... on the PS3, there's PSN, or PSN, or perhaps PSN. With a single identity manager, you know that Lowe0 in MAG is the exact same person as Lowe0 in Borderlands, or Lowe0 in Killzone 2. You can friend them, find their game, block them, mute them, or send them a message, and be absolutely certain that you're dealing with the same identity in every case. Without control of the apps on the platform, you can't mandate that, and you end up with fragmentation. It's not just user-visible frameworks, either - consider the PS3's use of OpenGL ES. Sony is able to pick and choose the components they want to provide developers with a lean, efficient API, without carrying around functionality of OpenGL that's more useful for professional apps than games. MS can't do that with Windows (they tried to wrap OpenGL back in the Vista days, and were hounded into backing down), but when you're building a platform for a specific purpose, you can do that. On top of that, consoles are meant to act as an appliance (interesting that you got hung up on the word "gaming" and ignored the word "appliance", which was the point of my post), which means certain assumptions must be upheld as well. Configuration must be centralized - you should only have to configure your available resolutions once (if at all - with HDMI, there's no reason why I should ever have to set a resolution again), and the system should handle it from there. Same goes for sound. Again, unless you control the apps run on the system and can dictate the APIs used, you can't create a system this easy to use. My point is, all of that "locked down", "less freedom", closed off platform" stuff you dislike has an upside that I value a lot more than the control I have to give up to get it. And all of that happens regardless of the hardware inside - almost everything I discussed (excluding only a tangential reference to HDMI) is entirely software-based. I judge a platform by the gaming experience I get, and well-designed software makes a much bigger difference than the specs of the underlying hardware.
NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 NVIDIATI
[QUOTE="AnnoyedDragon"]

Honestly people are so used to the idea that PC gaming is in trouble that they never question it, it's just a given, a default position. But the moment I suggest console gaming isn't too healthy these days; they freak out. What? Console gaming in trouble? Ha! The idea is ludicrous to them. They don't need any evidence to declare PC gaming dead, but they will completely disregard all the evidence you present the console market isn't doing too good; because they reject the idea outright.

This is reflected in all their arguments, they are completely uninterested in looking at anything that suggests something is wrong with console gaming, to the point that they make a fool of themselves with some of their arguments.

Take for instance this line we hear all too often "PC developers fleeing to consoles". Anyone with eyes would recognise the cross platform orientation of this generation, they will recognise a significant number of games are going cross platform on both console and PC. But some people are just so unable to look a little closer to home they actually only note the PC games going cross platform, its ridiculous and I don't know why this highly flawed argument is perpetuated on the console end to this day.

When I look at the console market today I see multi billion dollar companies unable to attract exclusive 3rd party development; were as a platform that offers them no financial incentives can. I see supposedly popular platforms having to pay game developers to remain exclusive while PC takes the lead in exclusives. I see consoles being treated like a cross platform dumping ground, as shown by the exclusive to cross platform ratio, an accusation that still gets used against PC despite it being truer about consoles. I see console companies having to pay for exclusive content in cross platform games; while some developers bring PC exclusive benefits in their games without being paid a penny.

People try their very best to drag the image of PC gaming through the muck; and yet time and time again I see this supposedly dying platform stands head and shoulders above the multi billion dollar investments consoles are getting. What are you going to say? What could any of you possibly say to me that is going to diminish how I view my platform when I see the console business model falling apart right in front of me? Every criticism out there doesn't change what is in fact going on. You can talk about piracy and sales and all the doom preaching all you want, you can even pull the preference card and try to pass it off as everyones opinion, PC is still here and it is out performing consoles in developer support.

This is very true! Nice post.
_Pedro_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#119 _Pedro_
Member since 2004 • 6829 Posts
[QUOTE="NVIDIATI"][QUOTE="AnnoyedDragon"]

This is very true! Nice post.

and spot on.. Which is why it will most likely be completely ignored.
harjyotbanwait

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#120 harjyotbanwait
Member since 2008 • 398 Posts

Still the number one gaming platform in the world. I'm switching from console-based gaming to PC gaming primarily, so I am tired of some people proclaiming the downfall of PC gaming. Why do you think some multi-platform publishers bother with a PC version? Because it is profitable still. If they thought the PC wasn't worth publishing for, many would abandon the platform completely.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
Member since 2009 • 4928 Posts

I have owned every console since the nes, but have had a Gaming pc for 8months, and so far can say the pc is far superior in everyway. I still have my consoles for exclusives but pc blows them away otherwise. Dont know why SW likes beating the dead horse on this issue.

adv_tr00per

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 adv_tr00per
Member since 2006 • 2605 Posts

This thread makes me feel all warm inside for being a PC gamer :)

Thanks TC!

Avatar image for Metroid_Other_M
Metroid_Other_M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 Metroid_Other_M
Member since 2009 • 438 Posts

I have owned every console since the nes, but have had a Gaming pc for 8months, and so far can say the pc is far superior in everyway. I still have my consoles for exclusives but pc blows them away otherwise. Dont know why SW likes beating the dead horse on this issue.

Advid-Gamer
because you are new at it. hence you missed out on its greatest days
shakmaster13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 shakmaster13
Member since 2007 • 7138 Posts

AnnoyedDragon

This is the best post I have come across in recent times. Post of the week?

Penguinchow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 Penguinchow
Member since 2006 • 1629 Posts
pc games in retail stores are shrinking because digital distribution is the dominant market on pc now.ferret-gamer
Exactly, I buy 95% of my games via Steam
clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

[QUOTE="aia89"]

Halo Reach, Crackdown 2, Fable 3, Alan Wake (?)

those are the big exclusives coming out for the xbox 360.

AnnoyedDragon

Let's get this straight, you're using Microsoft funded games not coming to PC as evidence PC is in trouble? You're using games whose development was funded by the owner of the Xbox 360?

Hey while you're at it let's use PS3 exclusives like Heavy Rain and MAG not coming to 360 to argue its irrelevance. Let's ignore the fact these are Sony funded titles, Sony doesn't want to sell their own games on 360; so 360 is in trouble right?

And thats that folks.
hooeyberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 hooeyberg
Member since 2010 • 127 Posts
^ This
naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 naval
Member since 2003 • 11108 Posts

[QUOTE="AnnoyedDragon"]

shakmaster13

This is the best post I have come across in recent times. Post of the week?

true. funny thing is all the PC haters will ignore everything said here.

aia89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#129 aia89
Member since 2009 • 2828 Posts

AnnoyedDragon
I like your point. bravo! but as another user wrote, consoles have been interfering with pc gaming and that is a bad thing. once there used to be a clear distinction between consoles and Pc, now it feels like the two worlds are getting closer and closer. so where are we going from here?
devious742

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 devious742
Member since 2003 • 3924 Posts

AnnoyedDragon

QFT :D

Avatar image for Mitjastiskovski
Mitjastiskovski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 Mitjastiskovski
Member since 2004 • 327 Posts

[QUOTE="Mitjastiskovski"]

[QUOTE="lowe0"] The cult of hardware worship strikes again. The components of a console may be PC-derived, but the built-for-gaming frameworks and UI designed for use from 10' away make consoles something entirely different from a Windows PC. You can try to retrofit these things onto Windows, but reducing Windows to a level suitable for use on a console would mean giving up a lot of the flexibility that PC users value. Control or simplicity - you can't have both. Consoles are truly gaming appliances, regardless of the hardware in them.lowe0

Yeah consoles use PC-derived hardware but the frameworks and UI is designed to make a console a closed off platform. And for the record consoles are not a simple gaming appliances, in fact every new gen they seem to go more towards the PC route, so that you can do multiple things on them. Today consoles, you can watch movies, browse websites, listen to music, stream movies and videos etc. By the looks of things, console are not just simple gaming machines that only play games far from it. They smell to me more like cheap PC that is locked down by big corp like Micro$oft and $ony so that they can charge you extra for nothing.

A Console is basically a PC with a controller and less freedom to do what you want with a product you paid your hard earned cash for. A milkage machine basically

You completely miss my point. Designing software for a console means casting off what allows a PC to run things like Excel or 3ds max. For example, the XMB - it's a very simple design. You basically have 6 options: select category, select within category, and up to 4 items bound to the face buttons and explained on-screen. That's it. No mouse cursor. Text entry needs to be kept to a minimum. The entire interface needs to act as a stack, instead of an enumerable collection of windows. You simply can't design an interface like that unless you control the apps that are going to be run on top of it, and MS can't do that with Windows. Then there's the question of the underlying OS frameworks. Take identity management, for instance. On the PC, there's Xfire, Steam, Gamespy, etc.... on the PS3, there's PSN, or PSN, or perhaps PSN. With a single identity manager, you know that Lowe0 in MAG is the exact same person as Lowe0 in Borderlands, or Lowe0 in Killzone 2. You can friend them, find their game, block them, mute them, or send them a message, and be absolutely certain that you're dealing with the same identity in every case. Without control of the apps on the platform, you can't mandate that, and you end up with fragmentation. It's not just user-visible frameworks, either - consider the PS3's use of OpenGL ES. Sony is able to pick and choose the components they want to provide developers with a lean, efficient API, without carrying around functionality of OpenGL that's more useful for professional apps than games. MS can't do that with Windows (they tried to wrap OpenGL back in the Vista days, and were hounded into backing down), but when you're building a platform for a specific purpose, you can do that. On top of that, consoles are meant to act as an appliance (interesting that you got hung up on the word "gaming" and ignored the word "appliance", which was the point of my post), which means certain assumptions must be upheld as well. Configuration must be centralized - you should only have to configure your available resolutions once (if at all - with HDMI, there's no reason why I should ever have to set a resolution again), and the system should handle it from there. Same goes for sound. Again, unless you control the apps run on the system and can dictate the APIs used, you can't create a system this easy to use. My point is, all of that "locked down", "less freedom", closed off platform" stuff you dislike has an upside that I value a lot more than the control I have to give up to get it. And all of that happens regardless of the hardware inside - almost everything I discussed (excluding only a tangential reference to HDMI) is entirely software-based. I judge a platform by the gaming experience I get, and well-designed software makes a much bigger difference than the specs of the underlying hardware.

Well if you like having no choice to do what you want, maybe you should move to north korea, the government there also decides when you are going for a p*ss or a s*it. You might like it there, since you have no choice which you prefer.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

PC gaming would be a lot better if the 360 didnt exist.

InfinityMugen
The games would be targeting low end IGPs instead of ATI Xenos or NV RSX(~G70) baseline.
ArisShadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 ArisShadows
Member since 2004 • 22784 Posts
Wait, wait. You people include games like Bayonetta and Final Fantasy because they aren't on the PC, but they some how don't appear on the multiplat radar. I guess games like Left 4 Dead 2 and World of Goo aren't special enough to be in this so called 2 out of 3 or 2 out of 4 bussiness you people speak about.
lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 lowe0
Member since 2004 • 13692 Posts

[QUOTE="lowe0"][QUOTE="Mitjastiskovski"]

Mitjastiskovski

Well if you like having no choice to do what you want, maybe you should move to north korea, the government there also decides when you are going for a p*ss or a s*it. You might like it there, since you have no choice which you prefer.

It's a bit fallacious to assume that, because I prefer an entertainment device that doesn't require me to make choices, that I would prefer less choice in far more meaningful pursuits? Anyway, this is a great example of what too many people around here really think, but won't ever admit: that their choice of gaming platform indicates their superiority. Choosing a game platform that requires additional effort on your part doesn't make you a defender of freedom. It just makes you another gamer - not anything special.
aia89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 aia89
Member since 2009 • 2828 Posts
Wait, wait. You people include games like Bayonetta and Final Fantasy because they aren't on the PC, but they some how don't appear on the multiplat radar. I guess games like Left 4 Dead 2 and World of Goo aren't special enough to be in this so called 2 out of 3 or 2 out of 4 bussiness you people speak about.ArisShadows
they could also include fighting games,,
AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

[QUOTE="InfinityMugen"]

PC gaming would be a lot better if the 360 didnt exist.

aia89

this.

I'm not sure. If it wasn't for Xbox 360 we wouldn't see the current ressurgence of all niche genres. Sure...we would have plenty of exclusive FPSes, but genres like 4X, sim, adventure or wargames would be pretty much dead

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

. I mean, I don't even remotely care about many of those games because many of them look just like crap. After some reviews (IF they receive any review, that is), it just gets confirmed they're crap.

IgGy621985

just because you don't like particular genre or type of game doesn't make it crap. I don't include even 30% of all upcoming PCgames on my list. The only games on the list are those that have good chance of being worthwhile purchase. And after some reviews most of the time it's confirmed I was right and they do get good scores.

Don't act like the only good games around are those you personaly like. That's childish

I personaly don't like hip hop music. But this doesn't mean all hip hop is crap