What's the best JRPG of the last decade?

• 108 results
Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

Poll What's the best JRPG of the last decade? (68 votes)

Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King 18%
Final Fantasy XII 16%
Persona 3 6%
Persona 4 24%
Tales of Vesperia 3%
Xenoblade Chronicles 26%
Fire Emblem Awakening 7%
Bravely Default 0%

So I just bought Xenoblade Chronicles 3D. Figured I might as well give the game another shot, and since I am likelier to finish it on a handheld, I bought the 3DS version. Context: I've played, and hated, Xenoblade before. But hey, this happened once before with Persona 4, where I didn't care for it on the PS2, then I played it on Vita some time later and I adored it, so I figured why not try it with this game too.

So there's that.

Anyway, back to the point- which JRPG of the last decade is the best? How would you rank them? Also, specifically pertaining to my purchase, how is Xenoblade? Why will I like it, if I am, in general, a JRPG nut?

Also, I may be a bit drunk

• 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#101 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@n64dd said:

@charizard1605 Can we deduce that Xenoblade won this round?

Xenoblade has generally won every face off against Persona 4 that it has had on this board, which was one of the reasons that I wanted to play Xenoblade so bad.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#102  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23917 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

No, they are not two dimensional, and there is a whole lot of growth in each of their characters. I have a feeling that either you did not see the game (and/or the social links) through to the end, or you have not played it through in a while, because each character sees a hell of a lot of growth over the course of the story. Using reductionist logic and reasoning does not somehow change that.

Your complaint about pacing with the Social Links is also nonsensical, because you decided the pace yourself. If the pace was terrible, you were to blame for it yourself. I do agree that the Social Links weren't integrated into the story well enough, but that never introduced dissonance with the main narrative outside of some random instances (your chosen romantic partner not responding to Rise's incessant flirting with you, for instance), because assuming you are playing through the game organically, your social links will progress in tandem with the progression of the main story itself.

And you remember wrong about Chie, and you remember a highly simplified resolution for Naoto.

Seriously, like I said- either you did not complete the game, or if you did, it's been years, and I mean years, since you did, and your memory is foggy.

The characters and character development in Persona 4 are literally among its greatest strengths- there are a lot of legitimate criticisms for the game that you could have chosen to make, you can criticize the simplified battle system, if you would want to, you could criticize the terrible dungeon designs, but you chose to attack the characters. That's rich. What's next, criticizing the game's soundtrack?

I beat Persona 4 right before I got into college... sooo, that would make it 3 years. I tried giving it another shot with golden. Which turned me off so hard, I would never even touch the game again.

What parts exactly did I miss about Chie's and Naoto's character development, you cant just say I am wrong without providing reasoning, just use spoiler tags to remind me of this oh so character development I so forgot. I even checked the wiki as a reminder and they more or less repeated what I just said. Characters in Persona 4 lack depth. Especially compared to Black Isle, Tr and Obsidian characters as well as characters from actual literature or visual novels (such an underrated genre). Persona 4 characters are literally (and figuratively speaking) high school anime characters, equally shallow, equally dependant on 3 traits or so.

Oh, I did criticize the terrible dungeon designs as well as the combat (see the SP).

Just because you can set the time when you hang out with people doesnt change the fact that in the first 4 social link events ammounts to very little. The interesting stuff usually doesnt have later on in the S. Link line. That is why I call the pacing bad. How many pointless clues for S. Link events that ultimately ammounted to nothing, did you have with Naoto before you got to anything actually interesting with her?

But go ahead, prove me wrong, just send me a link to the scenes either through a PM or a steam message to avoid spoilers :) If evidence you provides proves me wrong, I will admit my mistake.

Edit: And I did criticize the combat and level design. But in the previous post you only commented on the one concerning the characters, so that was the only thing I touched upon there.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Maroxad:

Chie's character growth goes to ultimately her accepting that she needs to dissociate her identity from her reliance on Yukiko solely, and then to her realizing that she does have a protective streak, which ultimately manifested itself as her being so overbearing for Yukiko. In the end, Chie decides to become a police officer, to try and protect the people and things that she loves. Incidentally, her character development also includes an assessment of her feminine side, her jealousy at Yukiko attracting all the boys' attention, and her poor academic performance.

Naoto's is a full on examination of gender identity and family inheritance issues (sexism in the police force, was Naoto destined to be a detective because of her family legacy, does Naoto feel more comfortable being a woman or a man?) and it resolves itself with Naoto accepting her feminine side. Hers is a little harder to quantify, because it's more abstract than Chie's, which is more relatable for the average person, and also because I have only finished her Social Link once.

This is also, incidentally, a far more simplified view of how the social links work in the game and how the characters develop, than the real thing, but they are still less reductionist than your arguments, which reduced the characters to not just two dimensions, but basically one dimensional caricatures- you want that, play the Persona spin off games, they do what you claim the actual game itself does.

fueled-system

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 fueled-system
Member since 2008 • 6529 Posts

FF12 is definitely a game that has been looked back on more fondly than at the time of release. I enjoyed going back to it years later(didn't enjoy when it was released) and hope for an HD remaster of it soon.

Anyway.... for me it would be a 3 way tie between Persona 4 Golden/Xenoblade/World Ends with you though if I had to choose I would go Xenoblade for the sheer interest the story gave me even when I got spoiled on 7 .

If this question had been asked last year it would of been Star Ocean 3 the perfect difficulty with optional content significantly harder than the main story with decent overall characters(unlike 4)

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By Maroxad

@charizard1605 said:

@Maroxad:

Chie's character growth goes to ultimately her accepting that she needs to dissociate her identity from her reliance on Yukiko solely, and then to her realizing that she does have a protective streak, which ultimately manifested itself as her being so overbearing for Yukiko. In the end, Chie decides to become a police officer, to try and protect the people and things that she loves. Incidentally, her character development also includes an assessment of her feminine side, her jealousy at Yukiko attracting all the boys' attention, and her poor academic performance.

Naoto's is a full on examination of gender identity and family inheritance issues (sexism in the police force, was Naoto destined to be a detective because of her family legacy, does Naoto feel more comfortable being a woman or a man?) and it resolves itself with Naoto accepting her feminine side. Hers is a little harder to quantify, because it's more abstract than Chie's, which is more relatable for the average person, and also because I have only finished her Social Link once.

This is also, incidentally, a far more simplified view of how the social links work in the game and how the characters develop, than the real thing, but they are still less reductionist than your arguments, which reduced the characters to not just two dimensions, but basically one dimensional caricatures- you want that, play the Persona spin off games, they do what you claim the actual game itself does.

Glad you actually responded intelligently instead of replying with logical fallacies, unlike some fanboys I had to argue/debate with in the past...

It appears, I did not give the characters enough credit. It is a definite improvement from what I remembered. But yeah, I remember about the inheritance thing now, and Chie's jealousy. Would I say it is as good as New Vegas, based on what you said? Hell no. Most visual novels? Absolutely not. But it is not bad by any means.

By the way, where was it implied that Chie joined the police force? Was that in Golden?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Maroxad said:
@charizard1605 said:

@Maroxad:

Glad you actually responded intelligently instead of replying with logical fallacies, unlike some fanboys I had to argue/debate with in the past...

It appears, I did not give the characters enough credit. It is a definite improvement from what I remembered. But yeah, I remember about the inheritance thing now, and Chie's jealousy. Would I say it is as good as New Vegas, based on what you said? Hell no. Most visual novels? Absolutely not. But it is not bad by any means.

By the way, where was it implied that Chie joined the police force? Was that in Golden?

See, whether it is as good as something else or not is ultimately a subjective argument, it comes down to opinions instead of hard facts, and those I will not argue you on, yours are as valid as mine. But do I argue that the characters and character development were not two dimensional? Yes, and inasmuch as it is possible for something like this to be a fact, this is a fact.

As for your question, Chie tells Narukami that at the end of her social link. I'm pretty sure it was in the vanilla game as well, but I have not played that since, what, 2009? So I don't remember for sure.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 Maroxad

@charizard1605 said:
@Maroxad said:
@charizard1605 said:

@Maroxad:

See, whether it is as good as something else or not is ultimately a subjective argument, it comes down to opinions instead of hard facts, and those I will not argue you on, yours are as valid as mine. But do I argue that the characters and character development were not two dimensional? Yes, and inasmuch as it is possible for something like this to be a fact, this is a fact.

As for your question, Chie tells Narukami that at the end of her social link. I'm pretty sure it was in the vanilla game as well, but I have not played that since, what, 2009? So I don't remember for sure.

Ahh, ok thanks. I might check a social link video to remind myself.

But yes, it all comes down to opinion in the end.

BlbecekBobecek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#108 BlbecekBobecek
Member since 2006 • 2949 Posts

I didn't play too many of them, but from what I played the best was Ni No Kuni. If SRPGs count, then Valkyria Chronicles.