What things you don't like about Japanese games?

• 106 results
Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

this is another gaf inspired thread. Since it was a fun read there I can only imagine how things will turn out here.

So let me start with:

I don't mind a few over-sexualized females here and there, everyone's different after all and that kind does exist, but in recent years it feels like there's not even a single well designed female in most if not all Japanese games.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

Over-sexualized, grown women are one thing. Over-sexualized children or child-like females can be very, very creepy and uncomfortable.

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3  Edited By hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts

@Gue1 said:

I don't mind a few over-sexualized females here and there, everyone's different after all and that kind does exist, but in recent years it feels like there's not even a single well designed female in most if not all Japanese games.

the reason they do that because they want to give people hope ... to get an over sexualize female ...

and for girl gamer ...... it's like giving the hope to imagine about being sexualized

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#4 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

The art style doesn't appeal to me typically. Anime is like a lazy overused method.

If we're talking JRPGs, I really hate the turn based gameplay that most of them have.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#5 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

Well with RPGs it was always the turn based combat. But it was also the look of some of the games. I am not the hugest anime fan. I have some favorites, but in some games I just roll my eyes. I agree on the over sexualized point. And often times I just don't like the atmosphere.

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

I probably would not like the games that don't get released outside Japan.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts
  • The big eyes
  • When they do release a game that looks promising it usually never gets ported to NA
mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

The HORRIBLE writing and voice acting are my biggest problems. Most JRPGs have shitty art styles too. Anime sucks.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

A lack of localization for many titles. Terrible voice acting and no Japanese voice track option.

And that's about it.

Ragnarok1051

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Ragnarok1051
Member since 2007 • 20238 Posts

I hate how Jrpgs are becoming time management games now.

starwolf474

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 starwolf474
Member since 2013 • 989 Posts

I don't like their anime art style, I don't like the turn based combat that they like to use in RPGs, and I don't like the atmosphere in most of their games.

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Shielder7
Member since 2006 • 5191 Posts

- Turn based combat

- Every protagonist is a skinny gender confused whatever

- half the time the story is so weird I have no idea what they're talking about

- Art style is all the same

- etc etc etc.

commonfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 commonfate
Member since 2010 • 13320 Posts
@parkurtommo said:

The art style doesn't appeal to me typically. Anime is like a lazy overused method.

This is quite surprising to read coming from you. Anime is quite a broad term.

commonfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 commonfate
Member since 2010 • 13320 Posts

Filler stuffed RPGS.

Give me more titles like Ys and less 30+ hour games that have only 10 hours of unique content.

RoboCopISJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 RoboCopISJesus
Member since 2004 • 2225 Posts

art-style is what i hate most in them. that anime crap makes me puke.

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#16 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

My personal problems with JPRGs:

• The 35 minutes of filler before we get to the actual game. I don't care that Nuiku is a college student, and knows his way around campus. I want to fight some damn monsters !!!
  • When we do finally get into the game I don't want to fight bosses every 15 minutes. Nothing messes up the immersion I feel searching the plains for more cute creatures to kill, than a giant mecha boss that I now have to go out and grind up 4 more levels to beat.
  • GRINDING...sucks. Bosses should be tough, buy not impossible until you are 4 more levels higher.
  • Why does every protagonist have to be a gender confused man boy with long flowing hair, or a squeeky talking 10 year old boy or girl. I've been to Japan...people are normal there..why can't the JPRGs ever get it right?
  • Why do JPRG man boys carry a giant sword that would kill everyone in one shot. Yet can't kill a tiny moving mushroom? It makes no sense.
wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts
  • Vague, underdeveloped story
  • cliche characters
  • dialogue
  • Obtuse control scheme
  • poor performance
equanox214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By equanox214
Member since 2005 • 167 Posts

@RoboCopISJesus: This thread is figuratively killing me lol, as if american animation is superior

Avatar image for deactivated-586249e1b64ba
deactivated-586249e1b64ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-586249e1b64ba
Member since 2004 • 7629 Posts

The fact that they won't work on my NA 3DS. Other than that? None.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20  Edited By ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

Over reliance on chest high walls.

Games that take place within a corridor more often than not.

Neck sizes that seem frankly ridiculous.

The western style RPG has come to resemble either a shooter with choose your own adventure elements or a terrible walking simulator like the elder scrolls series.

PyratRum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By PyratRum
Member since 2013 • 778 Posts

@yokofox33 said:

Over-sexualized, grown women are one thing. Over-sexualized children or child-like females can be very, very creepy and uncomfortable.

This. I can't stand that shit.

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 AcidTango
Member since 2013 • 3221 Posts

I don't like how so many heroes in many Japanese RPGS are kids and teenagers. What are the adults very lazy to fight?

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 AcidTango
Member since 2013 • 3221 Posts

@yokofox33 said:

Yeah I agree with that. That's really pushing it too far. Look at Bravely Default for example.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#24  Edited By bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts

In JRPGs? When they don't explore personal relationships with the playable characters. Modern JRPGs are starting to do this, and it's wonderful. Examples

Tales of series: Skits. Various optional conversations between party members that can be funny, serious, or add to lore.

Persona: Social Links. A more integrated and important part of the game which explores the specific character and who they are. Development included.

Bravely Default: Party Talk. (Basically Tales Of skits)

Xenoblade Chronicles: Heart to Hearts. Explores characters' observations on what is going on in the game. Also brings different lights to some characters.

I hope this trend continues.

RoboCopISJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By RoboCopISJesus
Member since 2004 • 2225 Posts

@equanox214 said:

@RoboCopISJesus: This thread is figuratively killing me lol, as if american animation is superior

I think American art style usually sucks too, but it doesn't make me sick to my stomach either.

mario-galaxys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26 mario-galaxys
Member since 2011 • 574 Posts

Over-sexualization of young females especially in the Neptunia games. These games bring a bad taste of Japanese-developed games. Another is the tacky character designs in games like Castlevania Judgment and the recent Final Fantasy games. I prefer characters dressed as real-world people instead.

High-Res

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By High-Res
Member since 2005 • 273 Posts

There Japanese.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

In game mechanics I hate random battles. This shouldint exist anymore. I dont mind the other stuff.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

@High-Res said:

There Japanese.

Where?

Avatar image for TrappedInABox91
TrappedInABox91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30 TrappedInABox91
Member since 2013 • 1483 Posts

@yokofox33 said:

Fan service is what you're thinking of. Its creepy and almost soft CP tbh. Even some games that make it to the US like Rune factory 4 are a bit iffy sometimes. Bikini day, some strange dialogue,and having kids with some characters that look like 15 (Rated E)

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#31 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

Incoherent plotlines and over-stylized garb. Bad translations also make the list, but that's not necessarily a part of the game's underlying structure, so spot 3.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

What makes Japanese games so different that you felt the need to make a thread about them ?

kinectthedots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By kinectthedots
Member since 2013 • 3383 Posts

@mems_1224 said:

The HORRIBLE writing and voice acting are my biggest problems.

So you hate most western games and WRPGs then?

ON TOPIC:

Some devs get too caught up in old *cliche* characters and dialogue. That kills me and I can't stand it.

It's not that they all do it because some Japanese script is brilliant and engrossing, it's just that it seems like an easy defaut a lot of J-studios take to flush out their games.

Other than that, relying too much on small budget handheld development and not putting full effort into big all-in game projects for consoles (yes, I understand it's more costly)

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

over the top drama and emo characters

PapaTrop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By PapaTrop
Member since 2014 • 1792 Posts

My problem with a lot of JRPGs is many use very simple, and VERY dated mechanics, and there is too much filler getting in the way of an enjoyable gaming experience. Then factor in the unrealistic scenarios merging with a very generic cast of characters, and it becomes very unappealing.

I'm also not one for playing menus, or managing a team of a few characters with cumbersome controls. Just give me a seamless experience.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

i hate that most jrpgs dont come out on consoles anymore...

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#37  Edited By illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts

5. Y u no PC version - Support has gotten better, but there is alot more room for improvement and a potential market to be tapped. And I think, in the near future Dojinshi games will find a successful place on the PC platform with localization support. There are some cool stuff like Crimzon Clover and Astebreed that have surfaced recently on Steam.

4. Grind Curve - I feel like the Japanese have a greater tolerance for grinding than Western game designers; particularly when it comes to the notion of dealing with min/max goal attainments. Granted, I can tolerate grinding more than most, it's just that sometimes, they can go too far.

3. Localization - Lots of games either dont come or get lost in translation. The lack of an optional Japanese track with English subtitles can bother me if the English dubs are awful; but I've played so many Japanese games in that the same English voice actors are starting to wear out on me.

2. Moe, Chibi culture or w/e you call it. There are some rare exceptions, but a game adopting this tone gives me warning signs to steer clear. Even if the game is good, it's gonna be a big uphill battle to convince me to even play/try it.

1. Fans of Japanese games. They are some of the most overly sensitive and defensive people you'll find on the internet. Sometimes elitist, other times ignorant about non-Japanese games and usually socially inept. After visiting Japan and seeing first hand of how joyful, enthusiastic and awesome they embrace their videogames - and how they share their passion towards visitors/foreigners. It's a travesty that Western gaming communities of people that play Japanese games behave in such a polarizing way. With that in mind, while I like Japanese games, I generally stopped going into discussions about them unless I know/like the person who I am discussing the game with.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts

Bad voice actor selection. And no localization of the good games but the trashy moe ones come over giving Japanese games bad reputation.

PapaTrop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 PapaTrop
Member since 2014 • 1792 Posts

@illmatic87 said:

5. Y u no PC version - Support has gotten better, but there is alot more room for improvement and a potential market to be tapped. And I think, in the near future Dojinshi games will find a successful place on the PC platform with localization support. There are some cool stuff like Crimzon Clover and Astebreed that have surfaced recently on Steam.

Yeah, Japanese devs are definitely coming around to it.

I wouldn't be surprised if more Japanese games released on PC this year than all/most the consoles combined. Nothing too major though. That's the problem.

If a single big Japanese publisher would start putting their games on PC then the other large Japanese publishers would see it as viable as well.

Avatar image for deactivated-586249e1b64ba
deactivated-586249e1b64ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-586249e1b64ba
Member since 2004 • 7629 Posts
@illmatic87 said:

1. Fans of Japanese games. They are some of the most overly sensitive and defensive people you'll find on the internet. Sometimes elitist, other times ignorant about non-Japanese games and usually socially inept. After visiting Japan and seeing first hand of how joyful, enthusiastic and awesome they embrace their videogames - and how they share their passion towards visitors/foreigners. It's a travesty that Western gaming communities of people that play Japanese games behave in such a polarizing way. With that in mind, while I like Japanese games, I generally stopped going into discussions about them unless I know/like the person who I am discussing the game with.

I don't visit many gaming communities, but here at least I always figured that's because people here love to share their hatred of more, ah, niche games and their fans with remarks such as "lol weaboo trash" which serve as nothing but flamebait. Suppose it doesn't help that a few of the more prominent fans here (You know who you are) aren't what I'd call shining stars of the community. It's like night and day when I visit GAF.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

Grinding, being stuck in romanticism and black-and-white morality, even menus are horrible, for the most part low graphical fidelity and lately even lack of distinguishing graphics style, overuse and misuse of cut scenes (and removing the player from game too often), refusal to explore certain genres or gameplay conventions, lack of multiplayer understanding are my main beefs.

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Pffrbt
Member since 2010 • 6612 Posts
Loading Video...

Everything in that video.

Also the lack of PC support and how not all of their games make it overhere. Otherwise Japanese games are generally better than most western games, and pretty much the last bastion for actually good action games and third person shooters.

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#43 X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9552 Posts

Nothing.

Reminder: not all Japanese games are role playing games.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#44  Edited By DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

@illmatic87 said:

3. Localization - Lots of games either dont come or get lost in translation. The lack of an optional Japanese track with English subtitles can bother me if the English dubs are awful; but I've played so many Japanese games in that the same English voice actors are starting to wear out on me.

2. Moe, Chibi culture or w/e you call it. There are some rare exceptions, but a game adopting this tone gives me warning signs to steer clear. Even if the game is good, it's gonna be a big uphill battle to convince me to even play/try it.

I can certainly mostly agree with these three issues.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

Cheese. Dialogue is cheesy, characters are cheesy (i mean a fucking bird lives inside that dude's hair in FF13 WTF?), every game feels turn based as we were in the 90's, every1 looks like a sheman with spiky hair, main story is ALWAYS saving the world against one creature/human, worst voice acting heard by humankind, most games rely on a 16y old saving the world. Im sure i missed some but these are the ones that annoy me. Funny how none of it is present in the Souls series. FROMSOFT don't like cheese i guess.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts
@Pffrbt said:

Loading Video...

Everything in that video.

Also the lack of PC support and how not all of their games make it overhere. Otherwise Japanese games are generally better than most western games, and pretty much the last bastion for actually good action games and third person shooters.

Holy shit. This video is the answer to this thread. I felt bad watching this...

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

this has been done so many times it has become in another cliche that annoys me to no end

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#48 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

Excessive fan service is something that drives me nuts. There's already tons of other avenues for this. Manga, Anime, Movies, Love Pillows etc. After a while I end up just thinking. Yeah I get it another panty flash. Whee.

That and there are way too many games where there is a group of scantily clad teenage heroes that are supposed to be the ones to save the world. How in the world is that supposed to happen? Where are the adults? This is why I liked Lost Odyssey. While some of them were immortal there were still older characters. Hell one of them was a near elderly son of an immortal.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

Pretty much everything finalstar likes about japanese games.

jdc6305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#50 jdc6305
Member since 2005 • 5058 Posts

Theres a lot of things I don't like about Japanese games. I don't like turn based combat and I hate anime.

That said I hate western games more. I hate war games and how American games feel they have to be ultra realistic. I hate how western games try to be serious with immature stories.

Bayonetta and Metal Gear 4 were to of my favorite games this gen. I still have no clue what the stories were about. All I know is they were fun to play.

Japanese developers usually put a layer of polish on their games unlike western games. Western developers are lazy as hell. I really wanted to like The Last of Us but after shiving 100 clickers it got kinda boring. There was no variation in enemy types in TLOU. I found to to be lazy on naughty dogs part.