What things you don't like about Japanese games?

#1 Edited by Gue1 (11386 posts) -

this is another gaf inspired thread. Since it was a fun read there I can only imagine how things will turn out here.

So let me start with:

I don't mind a few over-sexualized females here and there, everyone's different after all and that kind does exist, but in recent years it feels like there's not even a single well designed female in most if not all Japanese games.

#2 Posted by yokofox33 (30340 posts) -

Over-sexualized, grown women are one thing. Over-sexualized children or child-like females can be very, very creepy and uncomfortable.

#3 Edited by hippiesanta (9991 posts) -

@Gue1 said:

I don't mind a few over-sexualized females here and there, everyone's different after all and that kind does exist, but in recent years it feels like there's not even a single well designed female in most if not all Japanese games.

the reason they do that because they want to give people hope ... to get an over sexualize female ...

and for girl gamer ...... it's like giving the hope to imagine about being sexualized

#4 Posted by parkurtommo (27709 posts) -

The art style doesn't appeal to me typically. Anime is like a lazy overused method.

If we're talking JRPGs, I really hate the turn based gameplay that most of them have.

#5 Posted by cainetao11 (19529 posts) -

Well with RPGs it was always the turn based combat. But it was also the look of some of the games. I am not the hugest anime fan. I have some favorites, but in some games I just roll my eyes. I agree on the over sexualized point. And often times I just don't like the atmosphere.

#6 Posted by gameofthering (10467 posts) -

I probably would not like the games that don't get released outside Japan.

#7 Posted by Ballroompirate (23741 posts) -
  • The big eyes
  • When they do release a game that looks promising it usually never gets ported to NA
#8 Posted by mems_1224 (48572 posts) -

The HORRIBLE writing and voice acting are my biggest problems. Most JRPGs have shitty art styles too. Anime sucks.

#9 Posted by foxhound_fox (90820 posts) -

A lack of localization for many titles. Terrible voice acting and no Japanese voice track option.

And that's about it.

#10 Posted by Ragnarok1051 (19970 posts) -

I hate how Jrpgs are becoming time management games now.

#11 Posted by starwolf474 (980 posts) -

I don't like their anime art style, I don't like the turn based combat that they like to use in RPGs, and I don't like the atmosphere in most of their games.

#12 Posted by Shielder7 (5191 posts) -

- Turn based combat

- Every protagonist is a skinny gender confused whatever

- half the time the story is so weird I have no idea what they're talking about

- Art style is all the same

- etc etc etc.

#13 Posted by commonfate (12830 posts) -
@parkurtommo said:

The art style doesn't appeal to me typically. Anime is like a lazy overused method.

This is quite surprising to read coming from you. Anime is quite a broad term.

#14 Posted by commonfate (12830 posts) -

Filler stuffed RPGS.

Give me more titles like Ys and less 30+ hour games that have only 10 hours of unique content.

#15 Posted by RoboCopISJesus (1629 posts) -

art-style is what i hate most in them. that anime crap makes me puke.

#16 Posted by coasterguy65 (6272 posts) -

My personal problems with JPRGs:

• The 35 minutes of filler before we get to the actual game. I don't care that Nuiku is a college student, and knows his way around campus. I want to fight some damn monsters !!!
  • When we do finally get into the game I don't want to fight bosses every 15 minutes. Nothing messes up the immersion I feel searching the plains for more cute creatures to kill, than a giant mecha boss that I now have to go out and grind up 4 more levels to beat.
  • GRINDING...sucks. Bosses should be tough, buy not impossible until you are 4 more levels higher.
  • Why does every protagonist have to be a gender confused man boy with long flowing hair, or a squeeky talking 10 year old boy or girl. I've been to Japan...people are normal there..why can't the JPRGs ever get it right?
  • Why do JPRG man boys carry a giant sword that would kill everyone in one shot. Yet can't kill a tiny moving mushroom? It makes no sense.
#17 Posted by wolverine4262 (20141 posts) -
  • Vague, underdeveloped story
  • cliche characters
  • dialogue
  • Obtuse control scheme
  • poor performance
#18 Edited by equanox214 (133 posts) -

@RoboCopISJesus: This thread is figuratively killing me lol, as if american animation is superior

#19 Posted by Technoweirdo (7332 posts) -

The fact that they won't work on my NA 3DS. Other than that? None.

#20 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (16202 posts) -

Over reliance on chest high walls.

Games that take place within a corridor more often than not.

Neck sizes that seem frankly ridiculous.

The western style RPG has come to resemble either a shooter with choose your own adventure elements or a terrible walking simulator like the elder scrolls series.

#21 Edited by PyratRum (558 posts) -

@yokofox33 said:

Over-sexualized, grown women are one thing. Over-sexualized children or child-like females can be very, very creepy and uncomfortable.

This. I can't stand that shit.

#22 Posted by AcidTango (765 posts) -

I don't like how so many heroes in many Japanese RPGS are kids and teenagers. What are the adults very lazy to fight?

#23 Posted by AcidTango (765 posts) -

@yokofox33 said:

Yeah I agree with that. That's really pushing it too far. Look at Bravely Default for example.

#24 Edited by bbkkristian (14967 posts) -

In JRPGs? When they don't explore personal relationships with the playable characters. Modern JRPGs are starting to do this, and it's wonderful. Examples

Tales of series: Skits. Various optional conversations between party members that can be funny, serious, or add to lore.

Persona: Social Links. A more integrated and important part of the game which explores the specific character and who they are. Development included.

Bravely Default: Party Talk. (Basically Tales Of skits)

Xenoblade Chronicles: Heart to Hearts. Explores characters' observations on what is going on in the game. Also brings different lights to some characters.

I hope this trend continues.

#25 Edited by RoboCopISJesus (1629 posts) -

@equanox214 said:

@RoboCopISJesus: This thread is figuratively killing me lol, as if american animation is superior

I think American art style usually sucks too, but it doesn't make me sick to my stomach either.

#26 Posted by mario-galaxys (574 posts) -

Over-sexualization of young females especially in the Neptunia games. These games bring a bad taste of Japanese-developed games. Another is the tacky character designs in games like Castlevania Judgment and the recent Final Fantasy games. I prefer characters dressed as real-world people instead.

#27 Edited by High-Res (273 posts) -

There Japanese.

#28 Edited by finalfantasy94 (26885 posts) -

In game mechanics I hate random battles. This shouldint exist anymore. I dont mind the other stuff.

#29 Posted by br0kenrabbit (13479 posts) -

@High-Res said:

There Japanese.

Where?

#30 Posted by TrappedInABox91 (1020 posts) -

@yokofox33 said:

Fan service is what you're thinking of. Its creepy and almost soft CP tbh. Even some games that make it to the US like Rune factory 4 are a bit iffy sometimes. Bikini day, some strange dialogue,and having kids with some characters that look like 15 (Rated E)

#31 Posted by Basinboy (11407 posts) -

Incoherent plotlines and over-stylized garb. Bad translations also make the list, but that's not necessarily a part of the game's underlying structure, so spot 3.

#32 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (18478 posts) -

What makes Japanese games so different that you felt the need to make a thread about them ?

#33 Edited by kinectthedots (2669 posts) -

@mems_1224 said:

The HORRIBLE writing and voice acting are my biggest problems.

So you hate most western games and WRPGs then?

ON TOPIC:

Some devs get too caught up in old *cliche* characters and dialogue. That kills me and I can't stand it.

It's not that they all do it because some Japanese script is brilliant and engrossing, it's just that it seems like an easy defaut a lot of J-studios take to flush out their games.

Other than that, relying too much on small budget handheld development and not putting full effort into big all-in game projects for consoles (yes, I understand it's more costly)

#34 Posted by Krelian-co (13098 posts) -

over the top drama and emo characters

#35 Edited by PapaTrop (1710 posts) -

My problem with a lot of JRPGs is many use very simple, and VERY dated mechanics, and there is too much filler getting in the way of an enjoyable gaming experience. Then factor in the unrealistic scenarios merging with a very generic cast of characters, and it becomes very unappealing.

I'm also not one for playing menus, or managing a team of a few characters with cumbersome controls. Just give me a seamless experience.

#36 Posted by jsmoke03 (13165 posts) -

i hate that most jrpgs dont come out on consoles anymore...

#37 Edited by illmatic87 (15495 posts) -

5. Y u no PC version - Support has gotten better, but there is alot more room for improvement and a potential market to be tapped. And I think, in the near future Dojinshi games will find a successful place on the PC platform with localization support. There are some cool stuff like Crimzon Clover and Astebreed that have surfaced recently on Steam.

4. Grind Curve - I feel like the Japanese have a greater tolerance for grinding than Western game designers; particularly when it comes to the notion of dealing with min/max goal attainments. Granted, I can tolerate grinding more than most, it's just that sometimes, they can go too far.

3. Localization - Lots of games either dont come or get lost in translation. The lack of an optional Japanese track with English subtitles can bother me if the English dubs are awful; but I've played so many Japanese games in that the same English voice actors are starting to wear out on me.

2. Moe, Chibi culture or w/e you call it. There are some rare exceptions, but a game adopting this tone gives me warning signs to steer clear. Even if the game is good, it's gonna be a big uphill battle to convince me to even play/try it.

1. Fans of Japanese games. They are some of the most overly sensitive and defensive people you'll find on the internet. Sometimes elitist, other times ignorant about non-Japanese games and usually socially inept. After visiting Japan and seeing first hand of how joyful, enthusiastic and awesome they embrace their videogames - and how they share their passion towards visitors/foreigners. It's a travesty that Western gaming communities of people that play Japanese games behave in such a polarizing way. With that in mind, while I like Japanese games, I generally stopped going into discussions about them unless I know/like the person who I am discussing the game with.

#38 Posted by Ghost120x (4174 posts) -

Bad voice actor selection. And no localization of the good games but the trashy moe ones come over giving Japanese games bad reputation.

#39 Posted by PapaTrop (1710 posts) -

@illmatic87 said:

5. Y u no PC version - Support has gotten better, but there is alot more room for improvement and a potential market to be tapped. And I think, in the near future Dojinshi games will find a successful place on the PC platform with localization support. There are some cool stuff like Crimzon Clover and Astebreed that have surfaced recently on Steam.

Yeah, Japanese devs are definitely coming around to it.

I wouldn't be surprised if more Japanese games released on PC this year than all/most the consoles combined. Nothing too major though. That's the problem.

If a single big Japanese publisher would start putting their games on PC then the other large Japanese publishers would see it as viable as well.

#40 Posted by Technoweirdo (7332 posts) -
@illmatic87 said:

1. Fans of Japanese games. They are some of the most overly sensitive and defensive people you'll find on the internet. Sometimes elitist, other times ignorant about non-Japanese games and usually socially inept. After visiting Japan and seeing first hand of how joyful, enthusiastic and awesome they embrace their videogames - and how they share their passion towards visitors/foreigners. It's a travesty that Western gaming communities of people that play Japanese games behave in such a polarizing way. With that in mind, while I like Japanese games, I generally stopped going into discussions about them unless I know/like the person who I am discussing the game with.

I don't visit many gaming communities, but here at least I always figured that's because people here love to share their hatred of more, ah, niche games and their fans with remarks such as "lol weaboo trash" which serve as nothing but flamebait. Suppose it doesn't help that a few of the more prominent fans here (You know who you are) aren't what I'd call shining stars of the community. It's like night and day when I visit GAF.

#41 Edited by Salt_The_Fries (10044 posts) -

Grinding, being stuck in romanticism and black-and-white morality, even menus are horrible, for the most part low graphical fidelity and lately even lack of distinguishing graphics style, overuse and misuse of cut scenes (and removing the player from game too often), refusal to explore certain genres or gameplay conventions, lack of multiplayer understanding are my main beefs.

#42 Edited by Pffrbt (6596 posts) -
Loading Video...

Everything in that video.

Also the lack of PC support and how not all of their games make it overhere. Otherwise Japanese games are generally better than most western games, and pretty much the last bastion for actually good action games and third person shooters.

#43 Posted by X_CAPCOM_X (6617 posts) -

Nothing.

Reminder: not all Japanese games are role playing games.

#44 Edited by DJ-Lafleur (34321 posts) -

@illmatic87 said:

3. Localization - Lots of games either dont come or get lost in translation. The lack of an optional Japanese track with English subtitles can bother me if the English dubs are awful; but I've played so many Japanese games in that the same English voice actors are starting to wear out on me.

2. Moe, Chibi culture or w/e you call it. There are some rare exceptions, but a game adopting this tone gives me warning signs to steer clear. Even if the game is good, it's gonna be a big uphill battle to convince me to even play/try it.

I can certainly mostly agree with these three issues.

#45 Posted by silversix_ (16159 posts) -

Cheese. Dialogue is cheesy, characters are cheesy (i mean a fucking bird lives inside that dude's hair in FF13 WTF?), every game feels turn based as we were in the 90's, every1 looks like a sheman with spiky hair, main story is ALWAYS saving the world against one creature/human, worst voice acting heard by humankind, most games rely on a 16y old saving the world. Im sure i missed some but these are the ones that annoy me. Funny how none of it is present in the Souls series. FROMSOFT don't like cheese i guess.

#46 Posted by silversix_ (16159 posts) -
@Pffrbt said:

Loading Video...

Everything in that video.

Also the lack of PC support and how not all of their games make it overhere. Otherwise Japanese games are generally better than most western games, and pretty much the last bastion for actually good action games and third person shooters.

Holy shit. This video is the answer to this thread. I felt bad watching this...

#47 Edited by Gue1 (11386 posts) -

this has been done so many times it has become in another cliche that annoys me to no end

#48 Posted by bunchanumbers (2699 posts) -

Excessive fan service is something that drives me nuts. There's already tons of other avenues for this. Manga, Anime, Movies, Love Pillows etc. After a while I end up just thinking. Yeah I get it another panty flash. Whee.

That and there are way too many games where there is a group of scantily clad teenage heroes that are supposed to be the ones to save the world. How in the world is that supposed to happen? Where are the adults? This is why I liked Lost Odyssey. While some of them were immortal there were still older characters. Hell one of them was a near elderly son of an immortal.

#49 Posted by freedomfreak (43498 posts) -

Pretty much everything finalstar likes about japanese games.

#50 Posted by jdc6305 (4022 posts) -

Theres a lot of things I don't like about Japanese games. I don't like turn based combat and I hate anime.

That said I hate western games more. I hate war games and how American games feel they have to be ultra realistic. I hate how western games try to be serious with immature stories.

Bayonetta and Metal Gear 4 were to of my favorite games this gen. I still have no clue what the stories were about. All I know is they were fun to play.

Japanese developers usually put a layer of polish on their games unlike western games. Western developers are lazy as hell. I really wanted to like The Last of Us but after shiving 100 clickers it got kinda boring. There was no variation in enemy types in TLOU. I found to to be lazy on naughty dogs part.