What's the excuse for 3rd parties skipping Wii U again?

• 125 results
DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#101 DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

@SolidTy: Cool. I just wanted to point out that if ownership is important to you, there are options on PC. I don't like DRM either, and wish we could stop it so i could rent games too. So i pirate games i buy to have a backup copy in case something happens to my Steam account.

Still, it doesn't cover all scenarios like traditional collecting like you meantion. btw, i'm not one but it's pretty cool that you're a collector yourself. Anyway have fun and a good one to you too. :)

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#102 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@deadline-zero0: Right on! I'm with you on ownership, for real...

Good convo. :P

Avatar image for notorious1234na
Notorious1234NA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 Notorious1234NA
Member since 2014 • 1917 Posts

@IMAHAPYHIPPO said:

@pikachudude860: I wish somebody would post a definitive report on this. It doesn't matter what the install base is, third party games simply do not sell on Nintendo hardware. The biggest third party games of the year (COD, Assassin's Creed, etc) can't crack a million copies sold. It's not the install base, it's the dollars. Companies are barely breaking even, if even that. Most stand to lose money. Bam, end of story.

Can we stop talking about this now? There's other cool things to discuss.

he wont + remember this fanboy.

Since I've joined last year, literally dude been a broken record. Same song different tune...why Nitendo "insert paraphrase" He knows and only asked or discussed this topic sooooooooooo many times.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#104 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@pikachudude860:

the devs don't want to. Tell your beloved Nintendo to be in the same ballpark power wise and the devs may follow. I like Ninty also, but them playing the "we don't compete" game is hurting only themselves, 3rd party wise

thedude-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#105 thedude-
Member since 2009 • 2369 Posts

Nintendo does not get Western developers and Western developers do not understand Nintendo. Cycle repeats and worsens every generation.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#106 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61526 Posts

Same as before. At this point, who the **** buys the console for multiplats? I bought it for exclusives, which makes it a damn good 2nd console.

jhcho2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#107 jhcho2
Member since 2004 • 5103 Posts

Reasons why Nintendo doesn't get 3rd party games:

1. Their support for 3rd party devs suck. The engineers at Nintendo Japan don't speak english and need to get official translations for all queries sent by western devs. They take north of 1 week to reply simple stuff.
2. They don't think 3rd party games are what makes their console successful. As such, they don't brush up their relations with external devs.

3. The owners of Nintendo consoles don't buy a majority of 3rd party games. They like to complain about not getting games, but when the game does release on their console, they don't buy em'.

4. Underpowered console. Have been a generation behind (hardware wise) for the last 2 gens. Devs who want to make a quantum leap to next-gen will dismiss the console by default

5. The core gaming audience isn't at Nintendo's court. It's Nintendo's fault for going after the casual audience (grannies and parents) at the expense of the core gamer. If the core audience was ever at their court, they no longer are now.

And I'm not gonna provide evidence for each of these points. Take it as you will

PikachuDude860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#108  Edited By PikachuDude860
Member since 2014 • 1810 Posts

@MirkoS77 said:

@pikachudude860 said:

With that being said, 3rd parties have themselves to blame for their games selling like crap on Wii U. But of course, they don't see it that way. As long as they keep thinking like that, 3rd party support may never return to Nintendo home consoles...Powerful hardware or not.

Bullshit. Bullshit, bullshit, bullshit.

Nintendo is to blame. Pika, you come out with this question every so often, people give you the same responses, yet you don't seem to get it or just don't wish to acknowledge it. Even Nintendo has come out numerous times and expressed their feelings on third parties. Yamauchi once referred to them as "garbage companies" (his past monopolistic behavior is indicative of his contempt) and said he did not believe in creating a product that offers the same software. Iwata said not too far back, nigh verbatim, "Nintendo does not believe in strong third party support".Developers like Bethesda have come out and expressed dissatisfaction on how Nintendo designs its hardware with other developers in mind. There was an article on Eurogamer about a third party testifying what a hassle it was trying to get even the simplest of technical support developing one title.

There is abundant evidence, both from within the developmental community and Nintendo themselves, that demonstrate perfectly clearly as to why third parties struggle. Do you honestly believe that every third party holds some type of grudge? That they don't wish to make a profit if possible? That it's a grand conspiracy? This is a business, these companies ultimately want to make money above all else, and it's obvious Nintendo is not doing anything right to make selling wares on their systems a viable one, of which I believe has been borne and bred out of longstanding culturally ingrained philosophical dogmatism and extreme arrogance.

Add to all of that the fact that the U is performing worse than any system they've ever released (sans one), the user-base is small and audience strictly Nintendo focused, they suffer an image problem, the online lacks, the hardware is underpowered and architecture unique which is not conducive to cost effective ports, and consumer momentum dead (all of these are on the shoulders of NINTENDO's decisions, no one else's). I don't blame third parties. At all. They don't owe Nintendo a damn thing when it comes to the dollar. In fact, I consider any third party game on the Wii U to be a move of extreme good faith. Apparently working with Nintendo (at least from past history and everything out there still evidencing as much) is a nightmare, and once that's done these publishers still have to look at sales numbers which show little, if any payoff for the effort.

So you tell me: why do you see it as a smart business move to put out games on Nintendo's machines? Not a rhetorical question, I'm actually curious as to any benefit you can think of. Look at it from a business perspective, and not a consumer. If you were a investor that was putting millions of dollars at stake, why would you bother?

Yet, recently, Both Iwata AND Reggie have said that they realize that Nintendo needs 3rd parties in order for they're platforms to become complete. (Can't find the article...I'll post it when I do.) Plus, most of things that you say Nintendo said, was said years ago...Most likely when Nintendo was too busy swimming in the money they made from the original Wii to actually give a crap. (Which is why they are in this predicament now.)

As I've stated before, Nintendo could of made the Wii U on par with the other current gen consoles. But they didn't. They just though they'd pull an Apple and have everyone come out in droves just to buy anything with "Wii" on it. Business wise, They screwed up. Everybody knows that, and only a super pro Nintendo fanboy wouldn't admit that.

Some devs have said that it's nightmare working with Nintendo, and some, like Platinum, have said that they would love to work with Nintendo again. They've "Learned a lot" So what's the deal?

If I were an investor that was putting millions of dollars at stake? Hmm....Well, IF and TRULY IF, there were no money at all to be made on the Wii U, AND if 3rd party games would never sell much at all...Then no. I wouldn't bother. That's just common sense...

However, why would I expect my 3rd party games to actually sell decently on Wii U when they all come out later and have missing features? Is it Nintendo's fault that I realesed MY games on other platforms BEFORE on Nintendo's platform? Is it Nintendo's fault that I ripped some of the features and content from the Nintendo versions? Is it Nintendo's fault that I barely even marketed the Wii U versions in comparrison to the others, AND charged full price for a game that was already available on other platforms months ago...For cheaper....And that had more content...And ran better. Is all of that Nintendo's fault, or my fault for not putting as much effort into the Wii U version as I do on other platforms?

Maybe because big demanding 3rd party games can't run on Wii U? That's fine. But what about the games that CAN? What about Mortal Kombat X, Dragon Ball Xenoverse, Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm 4, Plants VS Zombies: Garden Warefare, Saints Row 4, and all of those other "Remasters"? If Zelda U and Xenoblade Chronicles X can run just fine on Wii U, then so can GTA 5 and AC Unity.

Yet, if those games that can actually can run of Wii U, were actually realesed on Wii U...They'd be released later than the other platforms, they'd have content cut, and they probably wouldn't even be marketed that well. Then those same 3rd parties would just blame Nintendo and Nintendo gamers for everything.

Nintendo could of made it easier for deveolpers, deveolpers could could of made they're games actually worth buying on Wii U. BOTH are to blame.

PikachuDude860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 PikachuDude860

@bunchanumbers said:
@pikachudude860 said:

@bunchanumbers said:

@pikachudude860: Something I brought up a long time ago was that Nintendo should create a team that would port 3rd party games to Wii U. The powers that be would make a deal with a publisher, then they would port select titles over to the Wii U and Nintendo would publish said games. I was mocked and ridiculed for this idea. But it turns out that Sony is doing this with Revelations 2 and Ultra Street Fighter 4. Vita is getting Revelations and the PS4 is getting Street Fighter. So it turns out that I was correct all along.

Nintendo should be doing stuff like this with other publishers. Even if they are last gen ports of games it would go a long way towards filling out gaps in the library. They even could sell them on the eshop at a reduced price. I know they could have done a better job with a game like Watchdogs or Darksiders 2.

I remember you saying that. (Wasn't it in one of my threads???) You were right!

I also remember you saying something about Nintendo making games to make up for other 3rd party games that they didn't have, like Sega did. That's great idea too.

I have a lot of great ideas...But I don't want people stealing them, so I'll keep quiet. =P

lol I encourage Nintendo to use my ideas on a daily basis. I also told them that the Nintendo ID was the way to start unifying 3DS and Wii U systems and they did that. I told them that we needed Captain Toad and that happened with surprising sales. Now they need to use my idea to make a Sim City style game where you use Toads to build your own mushroom kingdom and I'll be content. Either that or a game where you play a rogue vigilante Toad who is fighting corruption in the Mushroom Kingdom. It will be written by the team behind Adventure Time. And it will be called Watchtoads.

lol. I'd play that game. Sounds awesome. If Nintendo listened to your advice once, then maybe they'll start listing to the fans more. They gave us the GC controllers for Smash Bros. for Wii U after all.

I had an idea kinda similar to Microsoft's HoloLens...If I had my own game company, I would of beat em too it...

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#110  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17689 Posts
@pikachudude860 said:

@MirkoS77 said:

Nintendo is to blame. Pika, you come out with this question every so often, people give you the same responses, yet you don't seem to get it or just don't wish to acknowledge it. Even Nintendo has come out numerous times and expressed their feelings on third parties. Yamauchi once referred to them as "garbage companies" (his past monopolistic behavior is indicative of his contempt) and said he did not believe in creating a product that offers the same software. Iwata said not too far back, nigh verbatim, "Nintendo does not believe in strong third party support".Developers like Bethesda have come out and expressed dissatisfaction on how Nintendo designs its hardware with other developers in mind. There was an article on Eurogamer about a third party testifying what a hassle it was trying to get even the simplest of technical support developing one title.

There is abundant evidence, both from within the developmental community and Nintendo themselves, that demonstrate perfectly clearly as to why third parties struggle. Do you honestly believe that every third party holds some type of grudge? That they don't wish to make a profit if possible? That it's a grand conspiracy? This is a business, these companies ultimately want to make money above all else, and it's obvious Nintendo is not doing anything right to make selling wares on their systems a viable one, of which I believe has been borne and bred out of longstanding culturally ingrained philosophical dogmatism and extreme arrogance.

Add to all of that the fact that the U is performing worse than any system they've ever released (sans one), the user-base is small and audience strictly Nintendo focused, they suffer an image problem, the online lacks, the hardware is underpowered and architecture unique which is not conducive to cost effective ports, and consumer momentum dead (all of these are on the shoulders of NINTENDO's decisions, no one else's). I don't blame third parties. At all. They don't owe Nintendo a damn thing when it comes to the dollar. In fact, I consider any third party game on the Wii U to be a move of extreme good faith. Apparently working with Nintendo (at least from past history and everything out there still evidencing as much) is a nightmare, and once that's done these publishers still have to look at sales numbers which show little, if any payoff for the effort.

So you tell me: why do you see it as a smart business move to put out games on Nintendo's machines? Not a rhetorical question, I'm actually curious as to any benefit you can think of. Look at it from a business perspective, and not a consumer. If you were a investor that was putting millions of dollars at stake, why would you bother?

However, why would I expect my 3rd party games to actually sell decently on Wii U when they all come out later and have missing features? Is it Nintendo's fault that I released MY games on other platforms BEFORE on Nintendo's platform? Is it Nintendo's fault that I ripped some of the features and content from the Nintendo versions? Is it Nintendo's fault that I barely even marketed the Wii U versions in comparison to the others, AND charged full price for a game that was already available on other platforms months ago...For cheaper....And that had more content...And ran better. Is all of that Nintendo's fault, or my fault for not putting as much effort into the Wii U version as I do on other platforms?

Maybe because big demanding 3rd party games can't run on Wii U? That's fine. But what about the games that CAN? What about Mortal Kombat X, Dragon Ball Xenoverse, Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm 4, Plants VS Zombies: Garden Warefare, Saints Row 4, and all of those other "Remasters"? If Zelda U and Xenoblade Chronicles X can run just fine on Wii U, then so can GTA 5 and AC Unity.

Yet, if those games that can actually can run of Wii U, were actually released on Wii U...They'd be released later than the other platforms, they'd have content cut, and they probably wouldn't even be marketed that well. Then those same 3rd parties would just blame Nintendo and Nintendo gamers for everything.

Nintendo could of made it easier for developers, developers could could of made they're games actually worth buying on Wii U. BOTH are to blame.

Sure both are to blame, but not nearly to equal extent. You have to remember that the horse comes before the cart. Why would any developer or publisher put their full effort into a losing prospect? That's basically what Nintendo's systems are (or have been for a few gens now, sans the Wii). Why should these developers be having to get out of the cart, dirty in the mud, attempting to push the horse that Nintendo is responsible for? That is Nintendo's job. Why shouldn't they simply leap onto the carts behind Sony and MS's horses doing laps around Nintendo into an ecosystem where their desires have been listened to, heeded, the audience is there, the momentum to back it, the online and tech to enable it?

You say developers don't do this or that, but I'd like to hear why you think, given the above analogy, they should. What reason has Nintendo given them to release their games at the same time as the others? Like Watch Dogs? Perhaps it was because Ubisoft, concerned that the user-base was so insignificant on the U when they wanted to release it that the game wouldn't sell well in comparison to the other consoles. Who's responsible for that paltry user-base? Nintendo. Yes, it was Ubi's decision, but Nintendo formed the catalyst for making it so Ubi could hopefully see the greatest fruits of their work.

They rip content from their releases, I assume you're alluding to DLC being taken away by (EA was it)? Or perhaps content that was found in other versions but could not be found to be implemented given the Wii U's unique architecture, hardware limitations, and UI? Something that Nintendo didn't give one **** for when designing their hardware as to what third parties might have desired to see? Again, ultimately whose fault is that? Nintendo's.

As for marketing and pricing, this is just an assumption, but I believe Nintendo sets the pricing on all new games for their systems. I mean, is it untrue that most of their games hold their high prices long after release, along with Iwata's "we don't wish to devalue our software" line he spoke not long ago? Kind of peculiar that every single third party game sells for less on other machines, but not on Nintendo's, right? Nintendo's well known to charge highly for their games. And even if Nintendo did not set the pricing, can you then blame third parties for being forced to considering they have to to gain back that money through extortion DUE TO THE FACT that they're putting the game out on a system with barely an audience for it.......caused by Nintendo, yet again.

Not sure where the marketing $$$ comes from though.

You keep saying they can, they can, they can. Of course they can, but you don't seem to ever be willing to pull back to view it as a larger picture and ask "why they should??" Again, why bet on a losing horse? Sure third parties CAN make more of an effort and that's the only way I can hold them responsible, but when taken in view of how awful Nintendo has been fucking up with nearly everything to do with their business, everything third parties choose to do that you view as half-assing it make absolutely the most sense possible in that context and frankly I can't lay any blame on them at all, only credit. Third party relations have become so bad on Nintendo's machines that even the scraps they get thrown their way should be appreciated and not bemoaned.

Edo-Tensei_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 Edo-Tensei_
Member since 2015 • 173 Posts

Historical sales figures for third party games on Nintendo home consoles, and the fact that Nintendo ignore third party games completely to shine the spotlight on the first party tittles. Historically it seems Nintendo treats third party as second class citizen. Nintendo has the legacy, the games, the fans, if they only helped integrate other publishers and developers into their business model like it was in the golden SNES days they would stomp Sony and Microsoft and leave them behind. They have a habit of missing good opportunities lately, especially with the huge cash they made last gen with DS/WII, and the previous as well with the GBA/GC

thedude-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 thedude-
Member since 2009 • 2369 Posts

http://www.dromble.com/2015/01/21/former-nintendo-executive-dan-adelman-discusses-nintendos-culture-third-party-support-and-much-more/

Very relevant to this thread.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

Nintendo will never get strong third party support ever again. The reason is Nintendo thinks too highly of themselves and has treated third party developers like they don't matter.

Nintendo thinks that they shouldn't have to ask for third party support because third parties should be honored to make games on Nintendo platforms.

The original President of Nintendo, Hiroshi Yamauchi, has said and I quote,

"I've been told that Sony won over Nintendo by surrounding itself with software companies, and I will admit that situation was there in the past. However, times have changed, and it's no longer a race to see how many useless companies you can get on your side. There are many people in the industry that know nothing about games. In particular, a large American company is trying to do the same thing by engulfing software houses with money, but I don't believe that will go well. It looks like they'll sell their game system next year, but we'll see the answer to that the following year. " - Hiroshi Yamauchi (2000)

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

Witcher 3 I get. New gen games, I get.

But why no south park stick of truth? Evil Within? Alien Isolation? Dragon Age inquisition? Shadow of Mordor? If there is a PS3 version why the hell isn't there a Wii U version? Seriously. This isn't like the Wii which couldn't handle those games. The Wii U is more than capable.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60721 Posts

You dont need them when Nintedno draws the best rocks and grass in the business with their 1st party games.

PikachuDude860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 PikachuDude860

@MirkoS77 said:
@pikachudude860 said:

@MirkoS77 said:

However, why would I expect my 3rd party games to actually sell decently on Wii U when they all come out later and have missing features? Is it Nintendo's fault that I released MY games on other platforms BEFORE on Nintendo's platform? Is it Nintendo's fault that I ripped some of the features and content from the Nintendo versions? Is it Nintendo's fault that I barely even marketed the Wii U versions in comparison to the others, AND charged full price for a game that was already available on other platforms months ago...For cheaper....And that had more content...And ran better. Is all of that Nintendo's fault, or my fault for not putting as much effort into the Wii U version as I do on other platforms?

Yet, if those games that can actually can run of Wii U, were actually released on Wii U...They'd be released later than the other platforms, they'd have content cut, and they probably wouldn't even be marketed that well. Then those same 3rd parties would just blame Nintendo and Nintendo gamers for everything.

Nintendo could of made it easier for developers, developers could could of made they're games actually worth buying on Wii U. BOTH are to blame.

"Sure both are to blame, but not nearly to equal extent. You have to remember that the horse comes before the cart. Why would any developer or publisher put their full effort into a losing prospect? That's basically what Nintendo's systems are (or have been for a few gens now, sans the Wii). Why should these developers be having to get out of the cart, dirty in the mud, attempting to push the horse that Nintendo is responsible for? That is Nintendo's job. Why shouldn't they simply leap onto the carts behind Sony and MS's horses doing laps around Nintendo into an ecosystem where their desires have been listened to, heeded, the audience is there, the momentum to back it, the online and tech to enable it?"

"You say developers don't do this or that, but I'd like to hear why you think, given the above analogy, they should. What reason has Nintendo given them to release their games at the same time as the others? Like Watch Dogs? Perhaps it was because Ubisoft, concerned that the user-base was so insignificant on the U when they wanted to release it that the game wouldn't sell well in comparison to the other consoles. Who's responsible for that paltry user-base? Nintendo. Yes, it was Ubi's decision, but Nintendo formed the catalyst for making it so Ubi could hopefully see the greatest fruits of their work."

By that, you mean that Nintendo is responsable for the small user base of the Wii U? How? The Wii U, for quite a while, didn't have many games. Mainly because 3rd paries were not making many games for the Wii U. Meanwhile, The Xbox One and PS4 were getting tons and tons of games from 3rd parties.

How could the Wii U's install base grow when nobody but Nintendo made games for it? If 3rd parties abandoned Sony, do you think that the PS4 would of sold this much? I get that the audience isn't there. But I've seen lots of Nintendo owners here on Gamespot say that they'd love to buy those 3rd party games on Wii U. If the games were there, the audience would start to change. 3rd parties would start to make more profit.

"They rip content from their releases, I assume you're alluding to DLC being taken away by (EA was it)? Or perhaps content that was found in other versions but could not be found to be implemented given the Wii U's unique architecture, hardware limitations, and UI? Something that Nintendo didn't give one **** for when designing their hardware as to what third parties might have desired to see? Again, ultimately whose fault is that? Nintendo's."

If the big games can't run on Wii U, I get it. That's fine...That is Nintendo's fault. But what about the games that can run??? What about all of those remasters? Looks at Xenoblade Chronicles X...Now tell me why Sleeping Dogs, Saints Row 4, or Tomb Raider can't run on Wii U?

Why should 3rd parties put their games on Wii U? For profit. It's more money coming it. If 3rd parties are losing more money than they're making, that's a better reason not to make Wii U ports. But I just can't see games like PVZ Garden Warefare, DBZ: Xenovorse, and a few others bombing on Wii U...Unless they, as I said, have features cut and come out later than the other versions. Just let the Wii U version come out before the other versions.

"As for marketing and pricing, this is just an assumption, but I believe Nintendo sets the pricing on all new games for their systems. I mean, is it untrue that most of their games hold their high prices long after release, along with Iwata's "we don't wish to devalue our software" line he spoke not long ago? Kind of peculiar that every single third party game sells for less on other machines, but not on Nintendo's, right? Nintendo's well known to charge highly for their games. And even if Nintendo did not set the pricing, can you then blame third parties for being forced to considering they have to to gain back that money through extortion DUE TO THE FACT that they're putting the game out on a system with barely an audience for it.......caused by Nintendo, yet again."

Not sure where the marketing $$$ comes from though.

"You keep saying they can, they can, they can. Of course they can, but you don't seem to ever be willing to pull back to view it as a larger picture and ask "why they should??" Again, why bet on a losing horse? Sure third parties CAN make more of an effort and that's the only way I can hold them responsible, but when taken in view of how awful Nintendo has been fucking up with nearly everything to do with their business, everything third parties choose to do that you view as half-assing it make absolutely the most sense possible in that context and frankly I can't lay any blame on them at all, only credit. Third party relations have become so bad on Nintendo's machines that even the scraps they get thrown their way should be appreciated and not bemoaned."

There is no audience for 3rd party games on Nintendo systems because there ARE no 3rd party games. If more 3rd party games were on Nintendo consoles, PS and Xbox gamers would start to buy Nintendo consoles. It's Nintendo's fault that the Wii U can't run those big 3rd party games like the Witcher 3, that's nobody else but Nintendo's fault.

The only thing that can fix all of this is Nintendo coming out with a powerful console that's on par with Sony and Microsoft's. Then 3rd parties wouldn't have anymore excuses NOT to port their games. If the audience isn't there, that shouldn't be Nintendo's fault if the 3rd parties STILL won't port their games.

It's all just a big headache, it is.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#117  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17689 Posts

@pikachudude860 said:

@MirkoS77 said:

By that, you mean that Nintendo is responsible for the small user base of the Wii U? How? The Wii U, for quite a while, didn't have many games. Mainly because 3rd parties were not making many games for the Wii U. Meanwhile, The Xbox One and PS4 were getting tons and tons of games from 3rd parties.

How could the Wii U's install base grow when nobody but Nintendo made games for it? If 3rd parties abandoned Sony, do you think that the PS4 would of sold this much? I get that the audience isn't there. But I've seen lots of Nintendo owners here on Gamespot say that they'd love to buy those 3rd party games on Wii U. If the games were there, the audience would start to change. 3rd parties would start to make more profit.

If the big games can't run on Wii U, I get it. That's fine...That is Nintendo's fault. But what about the games that can run??? What about all of those remasters? Looks at Xenoblade Chronicles X...Now tell me why Sleeping Dogs, Saints Row 4, or Tomb Raider can't run on Wii U?

Why should 3rd parties put their games on Wii U? For profit. It's more money coming it. If 3rd parties are losing more money than they're making, that's a better reason not to make Wii U ports. But I just can't see games like PVZ Garden Warefare, DBZ: Xenovorse, and a few others bombing on Wii U...Unless they, as I said, have features cut and come out later than the other versions. Just let the Wii U version come out before the other versions.

There is no audience for 3rd party games on Nintendo systems because there ARE no 3rd party games. If more 3rd party games were on Nintendo consoles, PS and Xbox gamers would start to buy Nintendo consoles. It's Nintendo's fault that the Wii U can't run those big 3rd party games like the Witcher 3, that's nobody else but Nintendo's fault.

The only thing that can fix all of this is Nintendo coming out with a powerful console that's on par with Sony and Microsoft's. Then 3rd parties wouldn't have anymore excuses NOT to port their games. If the audience isn't there, that shouldn't be Nintendo's fault if the 3rd parties STILL won't port their games.

It's all just a big headache, it is.

It is a big headache. Speaking of which, your formatting also is. ;P I've deleted my parts, make it less confusing.

We can argue all day, but the fact remains: something is just not quite kosher in the way Nintendo approaches and does business with third parties. How do we know this? Because literally every major third party on planet Earth wants nothing to do with them, when they could be making money. Someone once posted in another thread on a different site something I think is more than likely very accurate: "MS and Sony treat third parties like partners. Nintendo treats them like subordinates". Of course that's complete conjecture and pure speculation I realize, but given what Nintendo has said in the past, how brutally they've treated them in the past, and the continual lack of progression in the present....if I were a betting man I'd say that that statement is a pretty safe wager to make.

I don't believe it's as simple a matter as, 'increase the hardware, increase the user-base, better the online, and they will come and profit.' I think all of these problems are simply symptomatic of a deeply ingrained traditional and exceptionally proud corporate culture that conducts itself in a largely xenophobic and elitist way. I don't mean to generalize and I apologize in advance if I give any offense in this, but I find there's a large element of truth in saying that the Japanese can tend to be elitist, somewhat arrogant, and condescending in their manner towards foreigners.

I think that if the third party problem is going to have any hope of any real change, there needs to be a complete overhaul within Nintendo's business culture and philosophies in how it views and treats others outside of its own walls. As long as they continue this, "it's our way or the highway" attitude when third parties have options, they're going to be continually laughed at and ignored when third parties have other options. And rightly so, I'm glad to see it. When the whole world is not cooperating with you, they are not the problem. You are.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#118 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

@pikachudude860 said:

Look at this list of games that ARE NOT coming to Wii U.

• Dragon Ball: Xenoverse.
  • Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 4.
  • Mortal Kombat X.
  • That new Nascar game.
  • Battlefield: Hardline.
  • Batman Arkham Knight.
  • Persona 5.
  • Final Fantasy: Type 0 HD.
  • Dying Light.
  • The Witcher 3.

There's PLENTY more where those came from.

The Wii U's global sales are at 9 million. (Should be by now, at least.) What more do 3rd parties want from Nintendo? They can't even port a Naruto or Dragon Ball Z game?! That's bullcrap.

Now, I know that Nintendo should of pushed harder for 3rd party support for the Wii U. They kinda did in the beginning. But don't blame it all on Nintendo. Nintendo has to worry about making and marketing games for TWO different platforms. (Wii U and 3DS). Why should Nintendo have to market the 3rd party's games for them? That should be up to the 3rd parties.

3rd party games don't sell very well on Wii U. Why? Because Nintendo owners only buy/play Nintendo games? Maybe...Or maybe it's because Nintendo owners have other games to play? Maybe because most Wii U owners most likely already own a PC, PS4 or Xbox One? Whatever the reason, why should we all buy 3rd party games on Wii U when they come out later, have features and DLC missing, and are sometimes overpriced? (Watch_Dogs) 3rd party games don't sell on Wii U because 3rd parties don't give us enough reason to buy their games...Especially over Nintendo's games.

We have to buy 3rd party games on PS and Xbox. Because that's pretty much all we have to play until a few exclusives are released, which, 60% of the time, may not be as tempting as the 3rd party games.

With that being said, 3rd parties have themselves to blame for their games selling like crap on Wii U. But of course, they don't see it that way. As long as they keep thinking like that, 3rd party support may never return to Nintendo home consoles...Powerful hardware or not.

Well besides mortal kombat X, I don't feel I would be missing out.

HAving said that, I'm seriously considering buying a wii u, since the other two consoles suck and they're only good for one thing fifa.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

@commander said:

@pikachudude860 said:

Look at this list of games that ARE NOT coming to Wii U.

• Dragon Ball: Xenoverse.
  • Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 4.
  • Mortal Kombat X.
  • That new Nascar game.
  • Battlefield: Hardline.
  • Batman Arkham Knight.
  • Persona 5.
  • Final Fantasy: Type 0 HD.
  • Dying Light.
  • The Witcher 3.

There's PLENTY more where those came from.

The Wii U's global sales are at 9 million. (Should be by now, at least.) What more do 3rd parties want from Nintendo? They can't even port a Naruto or Dragon Ball Z game?! That's bullcrap.

Now, I know that Nintendo should of pushed harder for 3rd party support for the Wii U. They kinda did in the beginning. But don't blame it all on Nintendo. Nintendo has to worry about making and marketing games for TWO different platforms. (Wii U and 3DS). Why should Nintendo have to market the 3rd party's games for them? That should be up to the 3rd parties.

3rd party games don't sell very well on Wii U. Why? Because Nintendo owners only buy/play Nintendo games? Maybe...Or maybe it's because Nintendo owners have other games to play? Maybe because most Wii U owners most likely already own a PC, PS4 or Xbox One? Whatever the reason, why should we all buy 3rd party games on Wii U when they come out later, have features and DLC missing, and are sometimes overpriced? (Watch_Dogs) 3rd party games don't sell on Wii U because 3rd parties don't give us enough reason to buy their games...Especially over Nintendo's games.

We have to buy 3rd party games on PS and Xbox. Because that's pretty much all we have to play until a few exclusives are released, which, 60% of the time, may not be as tempting as the 3rd party games.

HAving said that, I'm seriously considering buying a wii u, since the other two consoles suck and they're only good for one thing fifa.

Great little system. Its games are among the best of their kind. The funny thing is that I lent my Wii U to my brother and now he can't put it down. He had all the assumptions about how bad Wii U is but once he got his hands on it now he loves it. He even asked me if the new Call of Duty was on Wii U. More people like him and their demand would bring more 3rd party support.

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#120 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts

Third Party reasons

1. There's no sales

If there is sales, then there is no market.

If there is a market, then there is architecture issues.

If the console runs on x86, then there is teh kiddie.

If family appeal is not an issue, then it is because Iwata raped their wives.

And this is why 3rd Party Publishers are hesistant to jump ship.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

@bunchanumbers said:

@commander said:

Great little system. Its games are among the best of their kind. The funny thing is that I lent my Wii U to my brother and now he can't put it down. He had all the assumptions about how bad Wii U is but once he got his hands on it now he loves it. He even asked me if the new Call of Duty was on Wii U. More people like him and their demand would bring more 3rd party support.

Well I don't play call of duty anyway and actually i play fifa on the x360. I don't like the controllers on the xboxone and the one on the ps4. I tried the wii u ones and they're quite nice actually, even the touchscreen controller. I would still play fifa on the xbox 360 though because of exclusive players.

But for other console game I would want to try nintendo, my only worry is that they're going to drop the wii u fast, since they're working already on another console.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#122 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

@pikachudude860 said:

@LegatoSkyheart: @nintendoboy16:

Yep...*Sigh*

/Thread?

PikachuDude860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 PikachuDude860

@MirkoS77:

It is a big headache. Speaking of which, your formatting also is. ;P I've deleted my parts, make it less confusing.

We can argue all day, but the fact remains: something is just not quite kosher in the way Nintendo approaches and does business with third parties. How do we know this? Because literally every major third party on planet Earth wants nothing to do with them, when they could be making money. Someone once posted in another thread on a different site something I think is more than likely very accurate:"MS and Sony treat third parties like partners. Nintendo treats them like subordinates". Of course that's complete conjecture and pure speculation I realize, but given what Nintendo has said in the past, how brutally they've treated them in the past, and the continual lack of progression in the present....if I were a betting man I'd say that that statement is a pretty safe wager to make.

I don't believe it's as simple a matter as, 'increase the hardware, increase the user-base, better the online, and they will come and profit.' I think all of these problems are simply symptomatic of a deeply ingrained traditional and exceptionally proud corporate culture that conducts itself in a largely xenophobic and elitist way. I don't mean to generalize and I apologize in advance if I give any offense in this, but I find there's a large element of truth in saying that the Japanese can tend to be elitist, somewhat arrogant, and condescending in their manner towards foreigners.

I think that if the third party problem is going to have any hope of any real change, there needs to be a complete overhaul within Nintendo's business culture and philosophies in how it views and treats others outside of its own walls. As long as they continue this, "it's our way or the highway" attitude when third parties have options, they're going to be continually laughed at and ignored when third parties have other options. And rightly so, I'm glad to see it. When the whole world is not cooperating with you, they are not the problem. You are.

Yeah...Sorry. =P I couldn't keep up with all of the writing. I didn't know what to type...I take my time and read and think over long replys. I got lost...lol.

I agree. Going back and fourth will get us nowhere.

When I say, come out with a more powerful console, I mean...Make a console that has everything that BOTH 3rd parties AND Nintendo need for the generation. More power, better architecture, better online servers, better to deveolp games on, etc.

I just believe in my gut that Nintendo has seen what's going on with the Wii U, and they're going to tryto fix everything that they did wrong with the Wii U, with their next console. (Ultra HD, Ultra Nintendo? It's just so convenient.) The question is...If Nintendo did have everything that 3rd parties wanted...Would support come back?

Nintendo has been making consoles for a LONG time. They can't be crazy enough to come out with something that's just like the Wii U, hardware comparison wise. If Nintendo DOES come out with, basically, another "Wii U-ish" console, (That bombs), then..Yes. Changes need to be made. Suits need to be switched...Before it's too late. I just wonder if that would makes things better, or worse? (Though that's a topic for another time.)

Nintendo says that they want a unified console next gen. It could be that they just want to come out with games for both of their platforms faster so they won't need 3rd parties to fill gaps...Why can't they just have both?

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

@commander said:

@bunchanumbers said:

@commander said:

Well I don't play call of duty anyway and actually i play fifa on the x360. I don't like the controllers on the xboxone and the one on the ps4. I tried the wii u ones and they're quite nice actually, even the touchscreen controller. I would still play fifa on the xbox 360 though because of exclusive players.

But for other console game I would want to try nintendo, my only worry is that they're going to drop the wii u fast, since they're working already on another console.

yup to the fifa! but its a start. People practically have to go door to door to get average gamers to take a look at Wii U and make them see its not the boogeyman the media and lazy casual hardcore gamer perception is. And its such a shame because if it got the support it deserves it would really blossom into a complete little system. They won't release a new console until 2017 or later, which is their usual console cycle. Even then Wii U should still see plenty of support and the next console will most likely support BC so your Wii U collection will not be neglected.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

#125 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@pikachudude860: Nintendo didn't build it for the developers, they built it for themselves

Avatar image for carljohnson3456
carljohnson3456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#126 carljohnson3456
Member since 2007 • 12489 Posts

Third party games never do well on Nintendo consoles, if they are multiplat I should say. Better networks, trophies/achievements, graphics, etc. No one in their right mind would buy a Wii U version over an Xbone or PS4 version if they own a Wii U plus the other.