What's the excuse for 3rd parties skipping Wii U again?

• 125 results
PikachuDude860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#1 PikachuDude860
Member since 2014 • 1810 Posts

Look at this list of games that ARE NOT coming to Wii U.

• Dragon Ball: Xenoverse.
  • Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 4.
  • Mortal Kombat X.
  • That new Nascar game.
  • Battlefield: Hardline.
  • Batman Arkham Knight.
  • Persona 5.
  • Final Fantasy: Type 0 HD.
  • Dying Light.
  • The Witcher 3.

There's PLENTY more where those came from.

The Wii U's global sales are at 9 million. (Should be by now, at least.) What more do 3rd parties want from Nintendo? They can't even port a Naruto or Dragon Ball Z game?! That's bullcrap.

Now, I know that Nintendo should of pushed harder for 3rd party support for the Wii U. They kinda did in the beginning. But don't blame it all on Nintendo. Nintendo has to worry about making and marketing games for TWO different platforms. (Wii U and 3DS). Why should Nintendo have to market the 3rd party's games for them? That should be up to the 3rd parties.

3rd party games don't sell very well on Wii U. Why? Because Nintendo owners only buy/play Nintendo games? Maybe...Or maybe it's because Nintendo owners have other games to play? Maybe because most Wii U owners most likely already own a PC, PS4 or Xbox One? Whatever the reason, why should we all buy 3rd party games on Wii U when they come out later, have features and DLC missing, and are sometimes overpriced? (Watch_Dogs) 3rd party games don't sell on Wii U because 3rd parties don't give us enough reason to buy their games...Especially over Nintendo's games.

We have to buy 3rd party games on PS and Xbox. Because that's pretty much all we have to play until a few exclusives are released, which, 60% of the time, may not be as tempting as the 3rd party games.

With that being said, 3rd parties have themselves to blame for their games selling like crap on Wii U. But of course, they don't see it that way. As long as they keep thinking like that, 3rd party support may never return to Nintendo home consoles...Powerful hardware or not.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#2 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41561 Posts

The usual.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#3 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

Not Selling.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44147 Posts

They witnessed how bad comparatively 3rd party games sold on the Wii last gen is mah guess. People buy "N" consoles for "N" games these dayzz. :P

PikachuDude860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 PikachuDude860

@LegatoSkyheart: @nintendoboy16:

Yep...*Sigh*

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6  Edited By bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

The holy trinity of RPGs on the OG Wii were Xenoblade, Pandora's Tower, and The Last Story. All 3 were met with little hype outside of dedicated fans. There was no advertising and no hype train. All 3 are great games and sold well. Why? XSEED decided to sell TLS and PT at a extremely low price. People bought it on a lark and found out that it was a great game. XSEED says they are among their highest selling games ever. More 3rd party publishers need to think like this.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

Best comment on that was when some website(forgot who) asked Rockstar why we dont see GTA for Wii/Nintendo systems, then the Rockstar-guy started with laughing before he answered...then said something along the lines "our audience is not there"

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

Because people buy nintendo systems to play nintendo games.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 bunchanumbers

@pikachudude860: Something I brought up a long time ago was that Nintendo should create a team that would port 3rd party games to Wii U. The powers that be would make a deal with a publisher, then they would port select titles over to the Wii U and Nintendo would publish said games. I was mocked and ridiculed for this idea. But it turns out that Sony is doing this with Revelations 2 and Ultra Street Fighter 4. Vita is getting Revelations and the PS4 is getting Street Fighter. So it turns out that I was correct all along.

Nintendo should be doing stuff like this with other publishers. Even if they are last gen ports of games it would go a long way towards filling out gaps in the library. They even could sell them on the eshop at a reduced price. I know they could have done a better job with a game like Watchdogs or Darksiders 2.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

@pikachudude860 said:

3rd party games don't sell very well on Wii U. Why? Because Nintendo owners only buy/play Nintendo games? Maybe...Or maybe it's because Nintendo owners have other games to play? Maybe because most Wii U owners most likely already own a PC, PS4 or Xbox One? Whatever the reason, why should we all buy 3rd party games on Wii U when they come out later, have features and DLC missing, and are sometimes overpriced? (Watch_Dogs) 3rd party games don't sell on Wii U because 3rd parties don't give us enough reason to buy their games...Especially over Nintendo's games.

Not that's pretty much it.

Due to it's own trappings, Nintendo excluded gamers who were after more traditional AAA experiences,even some indies, during last gen with the Wii.

As such, Nintendo became associated with their traditional characters, from Mario, Zelda, etc, while lacking the newer, strong AAA exclusives liek Xenoblade Chronicles more often.

Has such, and with the rise of PC gaming, those who wished for those games went for the xbox, playstation or just plain PC.

Besides, has a new gen began, the Wii U is, like or not, comparable with the PS360. Why play multiplats on the console when there are 3 other platforms with better graphics, resolution, etc.

Also, the weaker hardware lends itself to a huge problem. It would require a massive downgrade to get games like The Witcher 3, Batman AK, Final Fantasy XV, etc running on the wii u. And that's not counting the future titles for years to come. Combine it with a low amount of sales on the platform, and it's 2+2.

Sadly.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

@bunchanumbers said:

The holy trinity of RPGs on the OG Wii were Xenoblade, Pandora's Tower, and The Last Story. All 3 were met with little hype outside of dedicated fans. There was no advertising and no hype train. All 3 are great games and sold well. Why? XSEED decided to sell TLS and PT at a extremely low price. People bought it on a lark and found out that it was a great game. XSEED says they are among their highest selling games ever. More 3rd party publishers need to think like this.

This is sort of misleading since XSEED games struggle to sell anything significant. To the average Western publisher a few thousand units isn't worth it.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 bunchanumbers

@Aljosa23 said:

@bunchanumbers said:

This is sort of misleading since XSEED games struggle to sell anything significant. To the average Western publisher a few thousand units isn't worth it.

The average western publisher think like traditional AAA publishers. Over half of the budget they have for games these days are set aside for advertising. If they were more focused on profitability and less on needing millions of sales then they would have more successful games. Instead they're expecting 12 million units to sell and give 500 million dollar budgets to Destiny.

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

because wii ew is a piece of shit

FinalFighters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By FinalFighters
Member since 2013 • 3410 Posts

Because the people that own/buy nintendo systems only buy it for the Nintendo games. Dev's know this thats why they dont bother wasting their time with Nintendo.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 bunchanumbers

@FinalFighters said:

Because the people that own/buy nintendo systems only buy it for the Nintendo games. Dev's know this thats why they dont bother wasting their time with Nintendo.

Its true that I bought Wii U when there were exclusives I was after came out. But that doesn't mean that I don't enjoy only those games. I ended up with a nice little selection of 3rd party games on it. I'd still be buying them if they made more.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#17 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

@bunchanumbers said:

@pikachudude860: Something I brought up a long time ago was that Nintendo should create a team that would port 3rd party games to Wii U. The powers that be would make a deal with a publisher, then they would port select titles over to the Wii U and Nintendo would publish said games. I was mocked and ridiculed for this idea. But it turns out that Sony is doing this with Revelations 2 and Ultra Street Fighter 4. Vita is getting Revelations and the PS4 is getting Street Fighter. So it turns out that I was correct all along.

Nintendo should be doing stuff like this with other publishers. Even if they are last gen ports of games it would go a long way towards filling out gaps in the library. They even could sell them on the eshop at a reduced price. I know they could have done a better job with a game like Watchdogs or Darksiders 2.

It's pretty much a Catch 22.

Heck there was an Article I found over at Neogaf that said Xenoblade Chronicles X was a 3RD PARTY GAME. Monolith is OWNED by Nintendo. Xenoblade is a 1ST PARTY title.

If it's not Mario or Zelda it can't be Nintendo apparently.

Also it doesn't help when comparing 3rd Party games on Nintendo hardware vs Playstation or Xbox hardware the Nintendo version is almost ALWAYS going to be the lower end deal regardless of actual quality. Digital Foundry actually found ports of Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, and Need for Speed just fine, but a slight dip of Frame rates here or there was enough to deem that particular version to be the "worst" version therefore making potential consumers steer far away from that version.

With Nintendo's horrible history of 3rd Party titles and Their Recent Track Record of Super Stellar 1st Party Offerings, it's no wonder why only Nintendo 1st Party sells on Nintendo Hardware.

FinalFighters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By FinalFighters
Member since 2013 • 3410 Posts

@bunchanumbers said:

@FinalFighters said:

Its true that I bought Wii U when there were exclusives I was after came out. But that doesn't mean that I don't enjoy only those games. I ended up with a nice little selection of 3rd party games on it. I'd still be buying them if they made more.

yeah dont get me wrong, i know their are alot of people that do buy 3rd party games on the Wii U but its just not enough for Devs to spend time and money on

Kjranu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 Kjranu
Member since 2012 • 1802 Posts

Maybe nobody is buying a Wii U and that translates into zero third party sales? Math, buddy, apply it sometimes.

PikachuDude860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 PikachuDude860

@bunchanumbers said:

I remember you saying that. (Wasn't it in one of my threads???) You were right!

I also remember you saying something about Nintendo making games to make up for other 3rd party games that they didn't have, like Sega did. That's great idea too.

I have a lot of great ideas...But I don't want people stealing them, so I'll keep quiet. =P

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By bunchanumbers

@LegatoSkyheart said:

@bunchanumbers said:

It's pretty much a Catch 22.

Heck there was an Article I found over at Neogaf that said Xenoblade Chronicles X was a 3RD PARTY GAME. Monolith is OWNED by Nintendo. Xenoblade is a 1ST PARTY title.

If it's not Mario or Zelda it can't be Nintendo apparently.

Also it doesn't help when comparing 3rd Party games on Nintendo hardware vs Playstation or Xbox hardware the Nintendo version is almost ALWAYS going to be the lower end deal regardless of actual quality. Digital Foundry actually found ports of Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, and Need for Speed just fine, but a slight dip of Frame rates here or there was enough to deem that particular version to be the "worst" version therefore making potential consumers steer far away from that version.

With Nintendo's horrible history of 3rd Party titles and Their Recent Track Record of Super Stellar 1st Party Offerings, it's no wonder why only Nintendo 1st Party sells on Nintendo Hardware.

And this is why Nintendo needs to make a Port to Wii U team. It would be a blend of 3rd party games mixed with Nintendo first party quality. When Nintendo gets involved a game almost always gets better. Look at what Nintendo did with Bayonetta 2. They turned a game that was going to be great into a genre defining 10/10 game. Not only that they would be able to show 3rd party developers how they develop games on Wii U. Those techniques could be passed on the 3rd party developers and then all 3rd party games improve.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#22 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

It doesn't sell, the industry still views Nintendo as the platform for "kids", the WiiU is much weaker and now is a completely different architecture and would require more time porting, Nintendo isn't really friendly with 3rd parties, and the online system still isn't the greatest.

Kjranu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Kjranu
Member since 2012 • 1802 Posts

Oh and before you throw the nine million figure in my face - do remember that nobody buys third party on Wii U. You certainly can't name me one third party game that sold more than 100,000 copies.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 bunchanumbers

@Kjranu said:

Oh and before you throw the nine million figure in my face - do remember that nobody buys third party on Wii U. You certainly can't name me one third party game that sold more than 100,000 copies.

Zombi U, Rayman Legends, and Lego Undercover come to mind. Not to mention Disney Infinity and Skylanders.

PikachuDude860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By PikachuDude860

@deadline-zero0 said:

@pikachudude860 said:

Not that's pretty much it.

Due to it's own trappings, Nintendo excluded gamers who were after more traditional AAA experiences,even some indies, during last gen with the Wii.

As such, Nintendo became associated with their traditional characters, from Mario, Zelda, etc, while lacking the newer, strong AAA exclusives liek Xenoblade Chronicles more often.

Has such, and with the rise of PC gaming, those who wished for those games went for the xbox, playstation or just plain PC.

Besides, has a new gen began, the Wii U is, like or not, comparable with the PS360. Why play multiplats on the console when there are 3 other platforms with better graphics, resolution, etc.

Also, the weaker hardware lends itself to a huge problem. It would require a massive downgrade to get games like The Witcher 3, Batman AK, Final Fantasy XV, etc running on the wii u. And that's not counting the future titles for years to come. Combine it with a low amount of sales on the platform, and it's 2+2.

Sadly.

Well said. Plus, there is also the fact that games can't be easily ported over. (Copy and Paste) That's a problem too. That's why I said Nintendo didn't push hard enough. I hope they fix everything next generation.

But what 3rd parties lack in resolution they can make up for in gameplay. Games like The division and Fallout 4 (Whenever it happens) would be perfect for the Gamepad. They could also add Miiverse integration, and exclusive Nintendo DLC. They could of tried to market their games more on Wii U, yet, they acted like the Wii U versions didn't exist.

The way I see it, BOTH sides are to blame.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 nintendoboy16

@Wasdie said:

It doesn't sell, the industry still views Nintendo as the platform for "kids", the WiiU is much weaker and now is a completely different architecture and would require more time porting, Nintendo isn't really friendly with 3rd parties, and the online system still isn't the greatest.

And that reception's NEVER going to leave Nintendo's record, no matter how hard they try. It didn't go with the N64 (even when Rare was making them hits for the Mature audience). It didn't go with the GameCube (Eternal Darkness was even credited as the first M rated game published by Nintendo... albeit falsely), and it's surely not going away with the WIi U (Bayo 2, Fall 2012 announcement, never forget).

Blackbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Blackbond
Member since 2005 • 24516 Posts

Um look at the sales man. Both the PS4 and the Xbox One have already passed the Wii U in total sales despite being released a year later. The PS4 has doubled the Wii U. Not to mention that the hardware is in a complete different generation all together there just isn't money to be made on Nintendo consoles. Hell Bayonetta 2 couldn't even sell 1 million copies.

MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 MFDOOM1983
Member since 2010 • 8465 Posts

Poor sales

MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 MFDOOM1983
Member since 2010 • 8465 Posts

@nintendoboy16 said:

@Wasdie said:

And that reception's NEVER going to leave Nintendo's record, no matter how hard they try. It didn't go with the N64 (even when Rare was making them hits for the Mature audience). It didn't go with the GameCube (Eternal Darkness was even credited as the first M rated game published by Nintendo... albeit falsely), and it's surely not going away with the WIi U (Bayo 2, Fall 2012 announcement, never forget).

A handful of games aren't going to change people's perception of Nintendo. Their advertising still focuses on gaming experiences for the entire family to enjoy. I'm certain gamecube's physical appearance did the system no favors in changing the "for kids" perception people have of Nintendo, either.

PikachuDude860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 PikachuDude860

@nintendoboy16: Which goes back to my Why do some people dsmiss games for being kiddy/colorful thread.

People, (not everybody, but there ARE some people), look at those kind of games are put them off as being just for children. Hence, Nintendo systems being for family/children.

The ones who think that, IMO, are the ones that don't pay attention to what Nintendo is actually doing.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By nintendoboy16

@MFDOOM1983 said:

A handful of games aren't going to change people's perception of Nintendo. Their advertising still focuses on gaming experiences for the entire family to enjoy. I'm certain gamecube's physical appearance did the system no favors in changing the "for kids" perception people have of Nintendo, either.

No wonder their advertising still focuses on families, they're what's paying the bills for them. If Nintendo did pay more attention to the "hardcore" more in that aspect, they'd get bit in the ass... HARD! It would be like if TGWTG/CA reviewer, Todd in the Shadows turned a new leaf and did nothing, but positive reviews and lists on pop songs, his views would plummet.

PikachuDude860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 PikachuDude860

@Blackbond said:

Um look at the sales man. Both the PS4 and the Xbox One have already passed the Wii U in total sales despite being released a year later. The PS4 has doubled the Wii U. Not to mention that the hardware is in a complete different generation all together there just isn't money to be made on Nintendo consoles. Hell Bayonetta 2 couldn't even sell 1 million copies.

Maybe your right...I dunno. I just believe that 3rd parties, AND Nintendo, aren't trying hard enough. Bayonetta 2 not selliong 1 million copies, (If it's true) can be blamed by Nintendo's lack of marketing and hype rasing.

The Wii U's situation is a mess...But at least we can enjoy the best exclusive content money can buy. =P

PapaTrop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 PapaTrop
Member since 2014 • 1792 Posts

Because when they do barely anyone buys them.

Nintendo has spent the last few generations building consoles that are only suitable for playing Nintendo ideas, and their advertising has done nothing but create an image of Nintendo being for small children and families. It doesn't seem like Nintendo cares though.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#37  Edited By super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

@Kjranu said:

Sonic lost world

Monster Hunter 3G Ultimate

Call of duty black ops 2

Sonic and Mario at the sochi olympic games

and etc.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#38 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

@farrell2k said:

@Blackbond said:

Are there accurate sales number for Bayonetta 2?

It sold at least 200K by now and it's maybe over 400K, but vgchartz is very inaccurate so it's hard to know the actual amount the game sold.

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

@LegatoSkyheart said:

Not Selling.

Bingo!

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#40 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Because apparently hardware power is more important than attachment rate.

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts

Blame Nintendo, not third parties.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

If Nintendo want back in the game, they need to squeeze out a new console (2 years max?) that is more powerful than the PS4 and Xbox One (not too hard) and then market it hard all over the world to both developers and consumers.

I'm not entirely sure they have the guile or the energy to do it though.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By nintendoboy16

@wolverine4262 said:

Blame Nintendo, not third parties.

Because it's always one-sided, right? He even said Nintendo was guilty.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

why are you wiiU users trying to live off just the WiiU?

U NEED something else i dont care what it is pc/ps4/p3/xb1/360

u cannot live off the wiiU im sorry ur gonna have to pick up someting else off the shelf u want to play the multiplats

its juist the simple sheep just be like us an pick ATLEAST one other system ATLEAST

u cant live off just a wiiU sheep just holy crap

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#45  Edited By Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

The WiiU is a commercial failure, it has almost no market presence. Which in conjunction with its vastly different, underpowered architecture means that there's little incentive by 3rd party developers to actually work on a port. Besides, history tells us that anything other than Nintendo developers/published games sell poorly.

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 wolverine4262

@nintendoboy16 said:

Props to TC for putting blame on Ninty.

But, yeah its not the fault of third parties at all. If Ninty went to them when designing the system, they would make games for it.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

The reason multiplats are not coming to Wii-u is simple, the hardware is too different and not as good as the two consoles that are selling better.

To make a PPC version for lower end graphics hardware would require either a different version of the game, or a cut down version of the game that would need to be independently developed.

There is not enough incentive to do it as multiplats sell like shit on the Wii-U.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 nintendoboy16

@wolverine4262 said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

Props to TC for putting blame on Ninty.

But, yeah its not the fault of third parties at all. If Ninty went to them when designing the system, they would make games for it.

EA, Square Enix and Ubisoft proved that is bullshit. The latter is additional bullshit, considering third parties would refuse to talk to Ninty like an AI Civ at war with the player

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By wolverine4262
@nintendoboy16 said:

EA, Square Enix and Ubisoft proved that is bullshit. The latter is additional bullshit, considering third parties would refuse to talk to Ninty like an AI Civ at war with the player

You think they wont put games on Ninty systems just because? Are you that diluted? These are companies whose main goal is profit. If they saw a profit in putting games on the Wii U, they would. As it is, there is no point in porting games over because Ninty didnt make a system where that was easy enough. Ninty's own arrogance is what cost them their third party relationships.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

The crappy hardware?