What is GOTY so far?

• 80 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by GoldenElementXL (2833 posts) -

So before the heavy hitters, Infamous Second Son, Dark Souls 2 and Titanfall drop, what is your game of the year so far?

Here is my top 3.

1 OlliOlli

2 South Park The Stick of Truth

3 Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare

I pretty much expect my #1 and #2 to be in my top 10 come the end of the year. This looks to be yet another great year for gaming.

#2 Posted by foxhound_fox (87839 posts) -

Obviously Dark Souls II.

I haven't played it yet but I can sense it's greatness approaching. Like an imposing army marching upon the horizon towards my location, and I stand solitary, awaiting the challenge ahead.

#3 Edited by XboxDone74 (2047 posts) -

So far, either Danganronpa or Toukiden.

Hell...I'd even put the Left Behind dlc in there.

#4 Posted by Zidaneski (8452 posts) -

Lightning Returns, loving every minute of it (70 hours on day 9 first playthrough) and I can't think of anything that will replace it this year.

#5 Edited by GoldenElementXL (2833 posts) -

@Zidaneski: it's nice to hear from someone enjoying the game. I plan on picking it up once I have a 30-60 hour window without something higher on my must play lost. I also need to play through XIII-2 first....... This year is gonna be crazy.

#6 Posted by lostrib (34982 posts) -

...It's barely the third month of the year, so nothing

#7 Posted by Zidaneski (8452 posts) -

@GoldenElementXL: FFXIII-2 I enjoyed tons as well thanks in large part to the new characters, they are some of my favorite in all of FF. I didn't get through the extra side quests though because I got frustrated trying beat insanely tough opponents in the battle arena. One of my gripes with LR is that the battle arena in the game is really lame or maybe I just haven't gotten to the true battle arena or something.

#8 Posted by GuitarSmash (207 posts) -

@Zidaneski: Too bad for the time limit though. I was paranoid throughout the whole playthrough because of it. Amazing battle system, but some of the worst X360/PS3 graphics i have seen in my life....

#9 Posted by Alcapello (820 posts) -

@lostrib said:

...It's barely the third month of the year, so nothing

Next week Dark Souls II comes out.

#10 Posted by bbkkristian (14946 posts) -

Bravely Default.

#11 Posted by Acez626 (690 posts) -

Forza for me

Such an amazing game

#12 Posted by GoldenElementXL (2833 posts) -

@alcapello: Exactly. We are almost a quarter through the year and some real heavy hitters are about to release. I was just curious about what other gamers thought about the games released so far. My number 1 is a Vita game. Number 2 is a PC/last gen game and number 3 is only available on Xbox One right now. And Dark Souls 2 could win some awards. The PS4 could very well run away with things by then end of the year but I was curious as to what people thought right now.

#13 Edited by GoldenElementXL (2833 posts) -

@Acez626: Forza came out last year though. Might be tough for a 2013 game to win GOTY 2014.

#14 Posted by Joedgabe (5110 posts) -

@Acez626 said:

Forza for me

Such an amazing game

forza didn't even come out this year.... lol

#15 Posted by Alcapello (820 posts) -

@alcapello: Exactly. We are almost a quarter through the year and some real heavy hitters are about to release. I was just curious about what other gamers thought about the games released so far. My number 1 is a Vita game. Number 2 is a PC/last gen game and number 3 is only available on Xbox One right now. And Dark Souls 2 could win some awards. The PS4 could very well run away with things by then end of the year but I was curious as to what people thought right now.

now you sound like you lostrib too lol

#16 Posted by 93BlackHawk93 (5334 posts) -

Probably Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze.

#17 Posted by Acez626 (690 posts) -

Whatever

#18 Posted by Zaraxius (205 posts) -

Not a PC game, I'll tell you that much.

#19 Posted by glez13 (8706 posts) -

To this day nothing really good, worthy of a GOTY nomination, has been released.

#20 Posted by The_Stand_In (383 posts) -

Toss up between Thief and Men of War: Assault Squad 2 (been playing the beta, releases March 20). Not much to write home about so far, but there are some great games coming up soon.

#21 Posted by Zidaneski (8452 posts) -

@GuitarSmash: Honestly, I had zero trouble managing the clock as is evident by my 70 hours and only on day 9. I guess I could understand about being paranoid but I liked the challenge it provided to be quick but efficient. I failed one of the beginning side quests horribly because I was also worried about time but it taught me to pay attention to what I was doing. I had to adapt to the gameplay design but so far its been amazing. I tried on a separate save to beat the game quickly but I died which was also a relief because now it makes the actions on my other save feel more meaningful and have purpose (if I can actually beat the final boss for real this time).

#22 Posted by lostrib (34982 posts) -

@zaraxius said:

you seem overly obsessed with attacking the PC and PC gamers

#23 Edited by Pikminmaniac (8797 posts) -

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze by far. I highly doubt anything this year's going to live up to it. It's absolute platforming perfection. It seriously nails every single aspect it can. It's as flawless as a game has ever been and should be recognized as the pinnacle of the genre. I simply cannot sing the praises of this game enough. The expert level design, the stiff challenge, the insane amount of content, and the incredible attention to detail is outstanding. It's easily one of the very best games I have ever played in my life.

I couldn't possibly give this game any lower than a 10/10 as rare as that score is with me. This might be the game that merits it the most.

Edit: Actually Batman Arkham Knight has a chance later this year. Arkham City was my game of last gen.

#24 Posted by Ballroompirate (22576 posts) -

We will know next week *cough* Dark Souls 2 *cough*

#25 Posted by KBFloYd (13274 posts) -

donkey kong...

better than mario..

#26 Edited by DarkLink77 (31695 posts) -

Titanfall, based solely on the beta. I haven't played a multiplayer FPS that's that much fun since... Reach? It's been a while.

#27 Posted by CountBleck12 (22693 posts) -

It's too early to decide at this time really.

#28 Posted by DarkLink77 (31695 posts) -

Obviously Dark Souls II.

I haven't played it yet but I can sense it's greatness approaching. Like an imposing army marching upon the horizon towards my location, and I stand solitary, awaiting the challenge ahead.

That much hype is only gonna let you down.

#29 Posted by Bigboi500 (29401 posts) -
#30 Posted by hoyalawya (342 posts) -

Titanfall Beta

#31 Posted by gameofthering (10150 posts) -

@zaraxius said:

There will be. It's called Arkham Knight.

So far, I haven't played any good games this year.

#32 Edited by mems_1224 (46697 posts) -

Titanfall

#33 Posted by CTR360 (6990 posts) -

dark souls 2

#34 Posted by silversix_ (14123 posts) -

I have not bought a single game this year excluding KZ:SF which sucked HARD. DkS2 will obviously destroy the competition and the only games that stand a chance is Destiny, Dragon Age 3 and TW3.

#35 Posted by voljin1987 (703 posts) -

Layton and the Azran Legacies.. Will try out toukiden in a bit

#36 Posted by Suppaman100 (3795 posts) -

Bravely Default

#37 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16336 posts) -

From the games I've played: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

From the games I'm excited for: Titanfall

#38 Posted by GrenadeLauncher (4210 posts) -

lmao lems voting for a game not even out yet which won't even be game of the month. Wind your necks in.

January's game of the month: OlliOlli

February's game of the month: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

March's game of the month: Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes

No contest.

#39 Posted by stuff238 (617 posts) -

Tomb Raider DE(PS4) so far.

#40 Posted by yokofox33 (29402 posts) -

I'm liking that Bravely Default very much.

#41 Posted by legendofsense (53 posts) -
#42 Posted by blamix99 (1713 posts) -

Donkey kong or bravely default for me, since dark souls 2 is not out yet..

#43 Edited by stationplay_4 (443 posts) -

i'm just waiting for watch dogs. still.

#44 Posted by BattleSpectre (5966 posts) -

Nothing deserves GOTY so far in my opinion.

#45 Posted by speedfog (3056 posts) -

@zaraxius said:

Move along people.

#46 Posted by Desmonic (13509 posts) -

Eh, too soon to call anything GOTY. I know I'll love South Park (only releases friday over here in Europe), but by the second half of this year we'll start to finally get next-gen only multipats (PS4/X1/PC/WiiU) instead of the many cross-gen games we have right now. So those might be better experiences than anything we have currently (or could just be the same, but prettier).

Only by October/November can we start to clearly define which games will be GOTY contenders IMO.

#47 Posted by blue_hazy_basic (27404 posts) -

As there really haven't been many great games released so far this year, I'd say Stick of Truth by a landslide, but it might struggle to finish top 10 for the year *shrug* who knows.

#48 Posted by Sushiglutton (5226 posts) -

Who cares, Arkham Knight will easily take it down at the end of the year anyway.

#49 Posted by IamAdorable (402 posts) -

I figure it's gonna be Bayonetta 2 for me :p

#50 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (7105 posts) -

None. Terrible year so far with nothing interesting for months. Dark Souls is over-rated, and most of the games people are listing are just niche japanese games that aren't GOTY caliber, excluding Donkey Kong.

South Park wins by default