What if Destiny flops?

• 93 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ShoTTyMcNaDeS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 ShoTTyMcNaDeS
Member since 2011 • 2784 Posts

There seems to be a pretty broad range of opinions about Destiny and from I have been reading and hearing it seems like this game is being labled a Borderlands clone or a Halo meets Borderlands type game. With all of massive hype this game is getting, have any of you given thought that maybe, just maybe this game could flop under such massive pressure? There is a real chance that this game gets a 6 or 7. Are our expectations for Destiny unrealistic? Is Destiny the next Mega Blockbuster franchise or is it a "me too" like Titanfall?

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44061 Posts

Nah, Bungie's near bulletproof man, the game will rock. :P

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3 DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

In terms of sales, nah. Hype and marketing is what sells games.

As for teh scores, i still don't know whatthe game offers that mmorpgs haven't done for years. After countless videos and search for info, all i hear you do in the open world is find randominvasion events and location where you fight soem mobs.

Then there's the standart mmo staples, like dungoens raids, pvp arenas, etc. Can't seem to find where the hype is coming.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

It won't. Activision is paying more than double the price of making the game to market it.

edwardecl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By edwardecl
Member since 2005 • 2240 Posts

Marketing is what sells games, not the game itself which is sad.

Sollet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 Sollet
Member since 2003 • 8282 Posts

I have a hard time seeing this game flopping hard, of course there is always a possibility.

But as it is a Bungie product it's an impossiblity :P

Avatar image for Prince_Denspion
Prince_Denspion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Prince_Denspion
Member since 2004 • 2748 Posts

tell you this much, went to play the alpha again yesterday and was disappointed to see it was over. I'm so looking forward to getting the preorder when it launches.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@deadline-zero0 said:

As for teh scores, i still don't know whatthe game offers that mmorpgs haven't done for years. After countless videos and search for info, all i hear you do in the open world is find randominvasion events and location where you fight soem mobs.

Then there's the standart mmo staples, like dungoens raids, pvp arenas, etc. Can't seem to find where the hype is coming.

only what other MMO's do it in the halo/fps format really? the answer is none.... its a different crowd and a different genre.

The references to borderlands are stupid... my friends who havnt played it say the same... ok it has loot and leveling.... but its online structure and gameplay is nothing like or even close to as limited as borderlands.

Sollet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Sollet
Member since 2003 • 8282 Posts

@MBirdy88 said:

@deadline-zero0 said:

only what other MMO's do it in the halo/fps format really? the answer is none.... its a different crowd and a different genre.

The references to borderlands are stupid... my friends who havnt played it say the same... ok it has loot and leveling.... but its online structure and gameplay is nothing like or even close to as limited as borderlands.

I completely agree, the Borderlands comparison is rather ignorant.

Avatar image for deactivated-609eda8a7edd0
deactivated-609eda8a7edd0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 deactivated-609eda8a7edd0
Member since 2012 • 1173 Posts

If it flops it will get laughed at for a bit, get called "Floptiny" and then people will stop caring and those who enjoy it will continue to play it and we all live happily ever after.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DEadliNE-Zero0

@Sollet said:

@MBirdy88 said:

@deadline-zero0 said:

The Borderlands references seemt o come from the desert like environment, and the RPG/loot mechanics with FPS combat. Perfectly valid comparison IMO. Borderlands isn't even bad, so i don't see what's the problem.

My question is, and sorry MBirdy88, i didn't get your response, what does Destiny do in it's world that other mmorpgs haven't done already?

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Does this game have a SP campaign?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-609eda8a7edd0

@jun_aka_pekto said:

From what I have heard, yes it does.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

I believe most dude/bros know who bungie are, so the game will sell on name alone. I don't think it can flop sales wise even if the game scored bad in reviews. And beside, is not often we see Triple A games with huge marketing scoring lower than an 8/10 anyway. And 9GN will give them a 9/10, the most popular gaming website, so their opinion has a lot of weight with the masses or at least the dude/bros.

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

It's a good game, it won't flop and what's this Halo/Borderlands thing, who cares they created Halo of course it's going to be good, the one thing what will change more is the Halo controls because it's a different developer.

I played the alpha I'm not a fan of FPS games in general, but Destiny I found myself loving the gameplay and the graphics, it is only an Alpha build remember so it's going to get better, I think it really brings together co-op single player and vs really well, it's a really good game.

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#16 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts

After playing the Alpha, I would say it is going to do extremely well. Borderlands is fun and good, but there were too many loot drops and the multiplayer was really only great if you played with a real world friend. This game fixes all those problems and adds the Halo Gameplay to the mix. It can't miss.

Nightflash28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Nightflash28
Member since 2004 • 2351 Posts

Having played the alpha this weekend, I can't see this game flop. It was just a small slice of the game, but it was already great.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#18 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

Yeah...there's too much hype for this game to flop.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

@OhJayDubya said:

@jun_aka_pekto said:

Cool. I'm not sure yet if I'll get it for the PS3 or wait until I have a PS4. But, it's good to see Bungie go multiplat once more.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#20 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

After playing the alpha I can say for certainty that it won't flop. It will be a successful game.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-609eda8a7edd0

@jun_aka_pekto said:

@OhJayDubya said:

@jun_aka_pekto said:

Cool. I'm not sure yet if I'll get it for the PS3 or wait until I have a PS4. But, it's good to see Bungie go multiplat once more.

I couldn't tell you to what extent is "Single-player" but its been advertised as Single-Player and Multi-Player.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

i pretty sure it's going be a solid game, will get mass sells, they will continue to make it.

The true question is will it have a iron fist grip on to your soul forceing you to come back every single day like halo did for people?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

@deadline-zero0 said:

@Sollet said:

@MBirdy88 said:

@deadline-zero0 said:

The Borderlands references seemt o come from the desert like environment, and the RPG/loot mechanics with FPS combat. Perfectly valid comparison IMO. Borderlands isn't even bad, so i don't see what's the problem.

My question is, and sorry MBirdy88, i didn't get your response, what does Destiny do in it's world that other mmorpgs haven't done already?

What does that matter? it combines 2 genres that were otherwise seperate... thats more than enough on its own.... hell FPs PvP battlegrounds are far more likely to be anjoyed than the crap in the MMORPG side of things,

Alcapello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Alcapello
Member since 2014 • 1396 Posts

It won't flop per say, but I don't see it reaching it's goal.

No market for mmo, unless it's a top franchise, and not a shooter.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

@alcapello said:

It won't flop per say, but I don't see it reaching it's goal.

No market for mmo, unless it's a top franchise, and not a shooter.

.... no market? on systems that barely have any of it? "and not a shooter" ... amazing logic there...0

Gesyma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Gesyma
Member since 2003 • 1082 Posts

After playing the alpha, I can assure you that it will not flop.

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts

Looks a bit too cartoony to me with lot's of jerky movement .... does it have a campaign?

I only play campaign .......

or focus more on multiplayer ...??

which does not interest me .

and I always hate character with HELMET ...... helmet is one of the reason developer lazy using face motion capture or facial expression

even if it flop ...... FPS is not my priority ....

I care more about TPS ... like uncharted... max payne ... resident evil kind of shooter

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

@Wasdie said:

After playing the alpha I can say for certainty that it won't flop. It will be a successful game.

blamix99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#29 blamix99
Member since 2011 • 2685 Posts

i don't actually care much about this game, i'll wait for reviews

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Move on to another game?

jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts

It felt like a quality shooter to me. Nothing particularly spectacular but still very tight and accurate feeling. Just scrap the auto-aim plz, thanks.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

Word from the alpha is...the game is legend. Believe the hype.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Cranler
Member since 2005 • 8809 Posts

@edwardecl said:

But a game people like will make them buy the sequel. Homefront was hyped to hell and back, it really had an awesome marketing campaign but sales dropped off quick when people realized how mediocre it was.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#34  Edited By The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

I think Destiny will sell, but it would suck for Bungie if it didn't. Let's hope it's a great game that sells well

comchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 comchild
Member since 2004 • 238 Posts

@Cranler said:

@edwardecl said:

But a game people like will make them buy the sequel. Homefront was hyped to hell and back, it really had an awesome marketing campaign but sales dropped off quick when people realized how mediocre it was.

Homefront didn't do as well as intended, but it gained a pretty solid base of fans/players.

I don't see Destiny flopping. From the alpha, I get a strong sense that there will be "something for everyone" to do and enjoy.

shawn30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 shawn30
Member since 2006 • 4409 Posts

@ShoTTyMcNaDeS said:

There seems to be a pretty broad range of opinions about Destiny and from I have been reading and hearing it seems like this game is being labled a Borderlands clone or a Halo meets Borderlands type game. With all of massive hype this game is getting, have any of you given thought that maybe, just maybe this game could flop under such massive pressure? There is a real chance that this game gets a 6 or 7. Are our expectations for Destiny unrealistic? Is Destiny the next Mega Blockbuster franchise or is it a "me too" like Titanfall?

Well quality wise, score wise, and game sales wise Titanfall didnt flop at all, and has done very well. Destiny though, the more I see it the more I'm very uninterested in it. It looks far to slow and not very thrilling or action packed. Graphics looks nice, but that's about it. Was not impressed with their multiplayer footage at all. Story aspects, and there haven't been many to discuss, look very lackluster. I dont give a crap that they can run Destiny at 1080p on the One, so far I'm not even a little bit considering buying this game. I do think this game could score a 7 here. But we will see.

RoccoHout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 RoccoHout
Member since 2011 • 1086 Posts

With all the marketing this game got its impossible to flop. Even bad games can sell really well

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

#38 PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

It won't, Bungie only makes top-notch games.

Dire_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#39 Dire_Weasel
Member since 2002 • 16681 Posts

It's pretty clear the OP wasn't in the alpha.

It's possible that the unreleased portions of the game might have some serious flaws but what we got to play was extremely slick.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

It will not flop UNLESS its a small game with no much to do. This kind of games need to be big or at least this is what im looking for

rrjim1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 rrjim1
Member since 2005 • 1983 Posts

I played the Alpha and I got to say it was a little boring. I did like the AI and the open world, but the couple missions that I played kind of sucked.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By DEadliNE-Zero0

@MBirdy88 said:

@deadline-zero0 said:

@Sollet said:

@MBirdy88 said:

@deadline-zero0 said:

What does that matter? it combines 2 genres that were otherwise seperate... thats more than enough on its own.... hell FPs PvP battlegrounds are far more likely to be anjoyed than the crap in the MMORPG side of things,

Depends. I guess my question is if there's a single player campaign and how connected it is in the world. Like i said,what i've been seeing is that the world is deserted, mostly, with a bunch of random defense events spread across the world. For comparison, GW2 has tons of different dynamic events with different activities inside them.

The world itself actualy looks interesting, the customization, the rpg elements, but, if all there really is is the traditional mmo connectivity of open world/instanced dungeons/instanced personall story/instanced pvp, i can't see that being very interesting for me. Again, considering how barren the world seems. But that's just me, ofcourse.

As for your comment about mmorpg pvp, in a certain way, i agree. MMORPG combat tends to be weaker because of tab targetting, but, as much as i love FPS pvp, when done right in the case of games liek GW2 and some others, i can be a great break of pace and very fun. Also, many mmorpgs have huge PVP battlegrounds with 40 vs 40 or more, like WVW in GW2.

Edit: My personall opinion, but, if it's not on PC, i'll have to use a controller. In a shooter. Ew.I'm interested in many upcoming shooters like Evolve, FC4, Bordelands Prequel, maybe Hardline, and ofcourse UT2014, R6, The division, etc, in addition to Destiny, but i can atleast play those with K/M.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#44 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

It doesnt matter weather the game ends up being good or bad as long as a few million people really believe its going to be something *amazing*. Marketing hype is what sells todays games.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

@deadline-zero0 said:

@MBirdy88 said:

@deadline-zero0 said:

@Sollet said:

@MBirdy88 said:

@deadline-zero0 said:

Depends. I guess my question is if there's a single player campaign and how connected it is in the world. Like i said,what i've been seeing is that the world is deserted, mostly, with a bunch of random defense events spread across the world. For comparison, GW2 has tons of different dynamic events with different activities inside them.

The world itself actualy looks interesting, the customization, the rpg elements, but, if all there really is is the traditional mmo connectivity of open world/instanced dungeons/instanced personall story/instanced pvp, i can't see that being very interesting for me. Again, considering how barren the world seems. But that's just me, ofcourse.

As for your comment about mmorpg pvp, in a certain way, i agree. MMORPG combat tends to be weaker because of tab targetting, but, as much as i love FPS pvp, when done right in the case of games liek GW2 and some others, i can be a great break of pace and very fun. Also, many mmorpgs have huge PVP battlegrounds with 40 vs 40 or more, like WVW in GW2.

Edit: My personall opinion, but, if it's not on PC, i'll have to use a controller. In a shooter. Ew.I'm interested in many upcoming shooters like Evolve, FC4, Bordelands Prequel, maybe Hardline, and ofcourse UT2014, R6, The division, etc, in addition to Destiny, but i can atleast play those with K/M.

Well from the gameplay, you had a story mission and then after doing it the area opens up for exploration, at least thats what happened on my first character in alpha. I kinda agree it felt barren at times, but that maybe largely be down to lack of knowledge of how it flows on our behalfs... or simply how it was because its the first area of the game... that being said I think it only goes up to level 20? so I dunno...

I can't say its a full MMO experience liek that on PC or FFXIV in consoles cases. its more MMO LITE meats competitive style shooter..... I think it could have some great unique experiences.... but nothing incredibly deep. you wont see 40 man battles... a shame but still... the fact that the story/exploration/character progression and PvP are all linked like in normal MMO's its a nice achievement for an FPS-RPG that can ideally do great on both sides of the fence.

Though... from what I've seen its pretty shallow.... but you cnt really go over the top in skills/stats when trying to make the PvP side of it competitive too.

I agree with your last comment.... the only thing putting me off at least buying the game is playing with a controller... its simply horrible... im sure some failure troll like amazonangry will come in and say "lol PC shooter softcore coz point and click" like a clueless tool.... but the reality is controllers are make-do for shooters.... it really feels sluggish even with practice...

analogs are just not the right tool for an FPS.... maybe a friggin tank.

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 I_can_haz
Member since 2013 • 6511 Posts

After spending time in the alpha I can say it won't flop. It's a very well made game and Activision's marketing will guarantee it doesn't flop.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#47 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

First, there needs to be a concrete hype established for it to flop. Second, I doubt it will score below an 8

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#48 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

That multiplayer looks sick. I'd be shocked if it got anything lower than an 8. Destiny might be my most anticipated game of the year.

vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#49  Edited By vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts

Well... considering Activision spent over half a billion dollars on it, not to mention what ever expense Bungie personally went through before going Activision and whatever Sony payed up for the exclusive content I find it hard to believe Destiny is going to have an easy time breaking even.

Looking at what we've been showed it just looks like a gussied up Borderlands. People are hyping it to be one of the best of the year, I honestly doubt it's going to be AAA though. It's treading well worn ground.

I can totally see this flopping? What if it flopped? Well, depends on how it flops. So long as it sells like six million units then I'm sure it's still sequel worthy so long as the game captivates it's user base well enough.

if it flops hard though then Bungie will probably have a tougher time finding a better publishing deal for their next game. Bungie is probably welcome back Microsoft. At least until they screw up Halo harder than Reach

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

Not gonna flop. The response to the alpha was extremely positive from people who were on the fence before. From the just small sliver I experienced in the alpha I could see myself putting hundreds of hours into the game.

It is going to blow Watch Dog's record away and deservedly so.