What has been your favorite game of 2024 so far?

• 62 results
Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45120 Posts

I’m having an absolute blast with FF7 Rebirth. I feel like I’m playing a game that shouldn’t exist in 2024. Just about everything in this game has quality to it; the campaign, the open world; the side missions, writing, characters, battle systems, music, the graphics and just the sheer amount of content. I’m about 60 hours in and still feel like I have so much to do. Definitely one of the all time great Final Fantasy games. What about you, SW? What’s been your favorite game of 2024 so far?

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46299 Posts

This couple. I was expecting kind of a God of War style knock off game but I got way more than that.

The story and main characters are just entertaining to follow and it's just a good tale about ghosts, spectres and the afterlife.

The gameplay like I said, could be seen as a God of War knock off but it's actually more like an RPG where skills, items you carry and weapons you collect start stacking until you can do some insane amounts of damage. This makes fighting the unforgiving enemies a ton of fun.

The UI in this game is sublime: everything is made to make it easier on the player and to be as simple as straightforward as it can be, without ever feeling hand holdy. Systems that seem complex like having towns with quests in between are just plain easy to navigate in this game, everything was made with the player in mind.

Compare it to Suicide Squad where the UI there would make baby Jesus cry.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16539 Posts

Probably persona 3 on gamepass of course.

blamix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 blamix
Member since 2006 • 2032 Posts

FF7 Rebirth. Currently on chapter 12 playing queens blood.

adsparky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#5 adsparky
Member since 2006 • 2565 Posts

I have played two games released this year, Persona 3 Reload and Unicorn Overlord; have yet to finish the second one, but unless they made something really bad on the latter part of it, it would be my pick.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#6 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69490 Posts

Dragon's Dogma 2, a game with a strong execution on gameplay, exploration and story without routinely taking away control from the player to force feed a story.😌

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Pedro

@R4gn4r0k: Banisher is on my to play list.

GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8 GhostOfGolden
Member since 2023 • 2466 Posts

Balatro

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7204 Posts

Prince of Persia I enjoyed a lot. Loving Unicorn Overlord also.

jcafcwbb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 jcafcwbb
Member since 2015 • 670 Posts

FF7 Birth - nothing else comes close

Dragon's Dogma 2 fails for me as fast travel is limited and can involve micro-transactions. Fast travel should be a standard that should never involve cash.

strategyfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#11 strategyfn
Member since 2012 • 1176 Posts

Skull and Bones. It is the only new game of 2024 I have played anyway.

80 hours and things are starting to wind down for me. I still need to grind out a good long cannon and armour. Which should still take me another 15 hours. Then I can just mess around or invest in a better rocket system and so on.

I give Skull and Bones 8.8/10. I was about to be in a gaming slump but S&B dragged me, 80 hours, out of it.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

I just played Portal: Revolution. I really miss portal, so it was a great time 😁! Amazing what modders can do! Honestly the best time I had with a game this year.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 R4gn4r0k

@Pedro said:

@R4gn4r0k: Banisher is on my to play list.

The game kept surprising me, with its characters, story and even its gameplay. It stayed fresh from start to finish.

In fact I was so enthralled by this whole spectre/ghost thing that right after beating it I went for a playthrough of Murdered: Soul Suspect, a game that had been in my backlog since the early Xbox One days lol.

What platform are you enjoying DD2 on?

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By R4gn4r0k
@Sushiglutton said:

I just played Portal: Revolution. I really miss portal, so it was a great time 😁! Amazing what modders can do! Honestly the best time I had with a game this year.

Good shout out!

Gotta say a lot of these Valve-style mods are sitting on overwhelming positive scores:

Portal Revolution, Entropy Zero Two, Swelter, ... It's kind of insane what the community has been doing to carry on Valve's legacy.

Does Portal Revolution have its own voiced characters or what?

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50562 Posts

Rebirth

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3479 Posts

FF7 Rebirth. GOTY. Do not care about the sales numbers, this game is a masterpiece in modern day Final Fantasy. Could say bang for your buck with the content you're getting lol. 74hrs in on Chapter 12..

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#17 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34614 Posts

Helldivers 2. Just so damn fun.

Robbie23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Robbie23
Member since 2015 • 2078 Posts

Dragons Dogma 2. I just beat Persona 3 Reloaded and thought it was over rated. P4 golden is way better.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44183 Posts

Definitely Final Fantasy VII Rebirth. You can really tell that SquareEnix put their all into this game. Such a massive game with a ton of variety and passion poured into it. Gameplay, writing, voice acting, and music are absolutely fantastic.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

Helldivers 2, but that's only because i haven't played DD2 for more than half an hour. DD2 will most likely win it over HD2.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Sushiglutton

@R4gn4r0k said:
@Sushiglutton said:

Good shout out!

Gotta say a lot of these Valve-style mods are sitting on overwhelming positive scores:

Portal Revolution, Entropy Zero Two, Swelter, ... It's kind of insane what the community has been doing to carry on Valve's legacy.

Does Portal Revolution have its own voiced characters or what?

Thanks for those tips!

It has voiced characters actually. I won't spoil anything, but the game has a little story and some pretty fun banter. And the puzzle-design is great. It's not too difficult, but there ís a lot of variety and flinging yourself through portals never gets old. Well at least when you haven't for a few years 😁.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#22 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58975 Posts

Tomb Raider II.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56110 Posts

As of right now, its Horizon Forbidden West PC and that game has me coming back for more. Great solid port despite the bugs regarding on the high settings but overall, I'm having fun with the game itself.

Banishers: Ghost of New Eden is a welcome AA from a developer who likes to try things new and that game really got me hooked on so far. Glad to see few posters above are also taking a liking on Banishers. The two main characters are really well developed and I like the setting it takes place during the Salem Witch era.

And last is Prince of Persia: Lost Crown. Glad to see Ubisoft is making a comeback for the 2D platform I been hoping for to be a great return for the Prince.

Can't wait to what other games surprises me for the remainder of 2024. The 3 games above I've mentioned are going into my top 10 of 2024. That's 3 down, 7 to go.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11293 Posts

Dragon's Dogma 2, FF7 Rebirth and Helldivers 2 have been the three best games of the year so far imo.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 R4gn4r0k

@Sushiglutton said:

Thanks for those tips!

It has voiced characters actually. I won't spoil anything, but the game has a little story and some pretty fun banter. And the puzzle-design is great. It's not too difficult, but there ís a lot of variety and flinging yourself through portals never gets old. Well at least when you haven't for a few years 😁.

It's a game I've been meaning to play but if you like Portal, you might like Quantum Conundrum. Both have Kim Swift as lead designer.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11293 Posts

@R4gn4r0k: Pedro only has an Xbox :p

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ConanTheStoner  Online
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

Tekken 8. Already bounced off of it about a month ago, right after hitting Tenryu. All my boys hitting purps and blues now 😭

But yeah, great game, I'll probably get back to it soon.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22685 Posts

Helldivers 2 with a bullet.

RatchetClank92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 RatchetClank92
Member since 2020 • 1348 Posts

Honestly the only new game I’ve bought and played yet this year is Helldivers 2. It is okay but I do find it is getting repetitive and grindy trying to upgrade the ship parts and level up.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 SolidGame_basic

@ConanTheStoner said:

Tekken 8. Already bounced off of it about a month ago, right after hitting Tenryu. All my boys hitting purps and blues now 😭

oh snap, you're back. So is Tekken 8 better than SF6?!

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 R4gn4r0k

@Mozelleple112: that's die hard. I like that.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 R4gn4r0k

@TheEroica: just played some Helldivers. That new Quasar canon shreds robots.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Pedro

@R4gn4r0k: Series X because it allows for two people to play the game with one purchase.😁

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ConanTheStoner  Online

@SolidGame_basic said:

oh snap, you're back.

Not really 😅

@SolidGame_basic said:

So is Tekken 8 better than SF6?!

They're two great games at the top of their respective sub-genres. They're both arguably the best vanilla outings for their series. Can't think of any concrete argument for one being better than the other. And they're both only going to grow and improve in the coming years. If you like fighting games, you're eating good right now. New Fatal Fury already looking amazing too.

I do prefer SF6, that's largely why I bounced off T8, was just missing it. But I've always preferred 2D fighters in general and SF is my favorite take on those.

But yeah as for 2024 games, it'd be pretty insane for anything to top T8 for me.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 R4gn4r0k

@Pedro: How often do you use smart resume on your Xbox? Seems like a handy feature though I've never used it. How often do you play multiple games at a time?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Pedro
@R4gn4r0k said:

@Pedro: How often do you use smart resume on your Xbox? Seems like a handy feature though I've never used it. How often do you play multiple games at a time?

Every single player game. Why this feature isn't a thing on PC is beyond me. I play multiple games pretty often. Sometimes because of work other times I have games that compliment each other in the sense of when I have had my fill, I jump to the other.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 R4gn4r0k

@Pedro said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

Every single player game. Why this feature isn't a thing on PC is beyond me. I play multiple games pretty often. Sometimes because of work other times I have games that compliment each other in the sense of when I have had my fill, I jump to the other.

Yeah it just uses RAM or something, right? It should be a feature on PC as well.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#38 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9548 Posts

1. Unicorn Overlord - honestly my 2nd place choice isn't even close at this point. It's going to take something absolutely amazing to knock this out of the #1 slot. 113 hours and 6 minutes on expert to get the 100% and platinum trophy and I loved every minute. One of my favorite games in a long time and easily a top 100.

2. Granblue Fantasy Relink - This was in the 1 spot until UO knocked it out of the park. GFR is an awesome game that deserves a lot more praise. I put about 40 to 50 hours into this and plan on going back and finishing the harder raids.

3. Dragons Dogma 2 - I'm about 20 hours into the game and have gotten lost just exploring and doing whatever the hell I want. At this rate the game will take me 200 hours to finish.. lol. I could see this ending in the number 2 slot, but for now it's at 3 since I haven't gotten that far. I am running Thief/Thief on my Arisen and main pawn and ha ent had any issues yet. While exploring last night I stumbled upon a village with master thief techniques which was out of the blue and awesome since both my main characters benefitted from me going off the beaten path.

4. The Outlast Trials

5. Tie between MLB The Show 24 and Rise of the Ronin

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56110 Posts
@R4gn4r0k said:
@Pedro said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

Yeah it just uses RAM or something, right? It should be a feature on PC as well.

Quick Resume (Smart Resume) is a nice feature on Xbox Series but I guess for me is, I've never cared about it on PC. And it's probably because most games (at least in the past) typically let me save anywhere, and restarting games takes no time at all since most of my games are on NVME drives. Suspend system mainly on Steam or better yet hibernate/sleep has honestly been good enough IMO...depends who you ask.

MS stated smart resume is coming to PC at some point, we just don't know when.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Pedro

@R4gn4r0k: It is a memory dump onto the SSD. It is almost like a save state found in emulators. They dump and compress onto the local storage and reverse when resuming.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 R4gn4r0k

@davillain said:

Quick Resume (Smart Resume) is a nice feature on Xbox Series but I guess for me is, I've never cared about it on PC. And it's probably because most games (at least in the past) typically let me save anywhere, and restarting games takes no time at all since most of my games are on NVME drives. Suspend system mainly on Steam or better yet hibernate/sleep has honestly been good enough IMO...depends who you ask.

MS stated smart resume is coming to PC at some point, we just don't know when.

I guess I'm fine on PC as long as there is a skip intro option.

I'm pretty sure that is what prompted PCgamingWiki's existence: if there is a skip intro for a game or not.

@Pedro said:

@R4gn4r0k: It is a memory dump onto the SSD. It is almost like a save state found in emulators. They dump and compress onto the local storage and reverse when resuming.

Oh wow I love that feature in emulation, that is a rather smart move by the engineers over at MS.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By SolidGame_basic

@davillain: I remember when this gen started people were making a big whoop out of the quick resume. It didn’t really end up being that big of a deal lol

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8223 Posts

Tekken 8 and Crusin Blast

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3479 Posts

@ConanTheStoner said:

I'm still on Vanquisher rank after spending 131 hours on it :(

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 ConanTheStoner  Online

@omegamaster said:

I'm still on Vanquisher rank after spending 131 hours on it :(

Yeah orange ranks were the wall for a few of my friends, but they eventually climbed. Just gotta keep at it.

Can be frustrating since people are still just unloading gimmicks at those ranks. Upside to that though, they usually commit to blocked/whiffed strings, so you can kinda just hang back and punish. And since most people are still playing "2d" at those ranks, start stepping and launching, **** their whole world up lol

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Sushiglutton

@R4gn4r0k said:
@Sushiglutton said:

Thanks for those tips!

It's a game I've been meaning to play but if you like Portal, you might like Quantum Conundrum. Both have Kim Swift as lead designer.

Thanks, will check it out!

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17820 Posts

I haven't played a game released in 2024 :P.

But, of the games I have played, I'm leaning towards God of War. Initial impressions were not good (Except the visuals). Going 3 rounds back to back against the same boss. Pressing the same button multiple times to get Atreius to do something (getting a bit david cage there). Some cutscenes could drag.

But as soon as I hit the Lake of the Nine I started to really enjoy it. The game opens up big time. Solid combat once you get a few extra skills, Great visuals (though a lesson in the strength of art direction over technical prowess...but that's a rant for another day), nice soundtrack and a good story well told. I thought Atreius would get really annoying but, in fairness, he was a good sidekick after the opening part of the game and his character was good. Also just a nice length. The game doesn't needlessly drag on.

I do have some issues with the games balance. On higher difficulty I really just found enemies to be a slog. They just absorb crazy damage. On easier it's ok but, then, they have the hitting power of a paper towel in the wind. I wish enemies couldn't take as many hit but could also hit a bit harder.

The end game equipment also seems a bit pointless and I never bothered to get it. You collect rare items to forge power armour for......why? The games over. But these are not game breaking issues.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Pedro

@osan0: Reminds me of the modern Tomb Raider games where the game itself is great but the game experience is awful when the developer wants to push the story so hard onto the player at the cost of gameplay.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23917 Posts

Unicorn Overlord.

I expected a good game, I got a great game.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17820 Posts

@Pedro said:

@osan0: Reminds me of the modern Tomb Raider games where the game itself is great but the game experience is awful when the developer wants to push the story so hard onto the player at the cost of gameplay.

Yeah there are a couple of points where that can get annoying (1 point in the final boss battle was a bit of a fudge in particular). But I found it to be rare enough in the game that it didn't really bother me (though I did enjoy the modern tomb raider games too overall. So tolerances for such things can vary I suppose).

Cutscenes too were generally short enough that they didn't really annoy. I thought the quality of the cutscenes were also generally good enough that I was entertained for those periods anyway. The dwarves were always a delight in particular imho. Really the only one I can recall as bad was an overly long was the build up scene to the final boss that just wasn't well executed.

...There may have been a few issues with the final boss :P.