What does this boost in CPU power mean for the xb1? (no fanboy answers PLZ)

• 91 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Pitbulllova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 Pitbulllova
Member since 2008 • 807 Posts

What does it all mean? what  will it give an advantage to compared to the ps4?

id prefer having hermits comment on this thread rather than butthurt cows and blind lems.

Avatar image for stereointegrity
stereointegrity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 stereointegrity
Member since 2007 • 12151 Posts
in reality....not a single thing
Avatar image for deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
Member since 2008 • 17476 Posts
Things go faster
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61486 Posts

It'll become more powerful than the sun. No display, in existence, will be able to fully comprehend the image being shown.

DerekLoffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#5 DerekLoffin
Member since 2002 • 9095 Posts
Assuming PS4 is at 1.6, then it will have a modest edge in things like AI processing, and that's about it. Otherwise it will slightly mitigate the GPU compute advantage PS4, but only slightly.
Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

Everything is different, but the same... things are more moderner than before... bigger, and yet smaller... it's computers... San Dimas High School football rules.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

Probably not a whole lot games wise. But for the dashboard stuff it might make things smoother

Supabul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 Supabul
Member since 2004 • 4266 Posts
in reality....not a single thingstereointegrity
Then why did they do it
ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ConanTheStoner  Online
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

"no fanboy answers PLZ"

You sir, came to the right place.  After we clear things up here, we'll go sell dope at the police station.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

[QUOTE="stereointegrity"]in reality....not a single thingSupabul
Then why did they do it

Because it sounds good as a sales pitch

MSXBOX4EVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 MSXBOX4EVER
Member since 2012 • 604 Posts

Quite frankly, I'd have preferred it if MS had significantly downclocked the CPU, and taken the GPU out altogether. This would have given Sony a slim chance. 

Sollet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 Sollet
Member since 2003 • 8282 Posts

[QUOTE="Supabul"][QUOTE="stereointegrity"]in reality....not a single thingseanmcloughlin

Then why did they do it

This.
Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

It means the chances of another RROD go up.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ConanTheStoner  Online
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

NathanDrakeSwag

Guess you haven't heard of cloud cooling.  :roll:

muffin200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 muffin200
Member since 2007 • 733 Posts

It means the Xbox has only just gone into production so expect **** all available for several months.

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts
very little . Probably marginal better performance ( we are talking in the vicinity of 1-2 frames per second ) on some heavy A.I games
kenmid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 kenmid
Member since 2003 • 483 Posts

very little . Probably marginal better performance ( we are talking in the vicinity of 1-2 frames per second ) on some heavy A.I gamesadamosmaki

When you use probably in your sentence means that you have know ideal.

Alpha_S_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Alpha_S_
Member since 2007 • 395 Posts

OK - non-fanboy response (really, good luck getting that on SW)

It's not a huge increase - but a faster CPU lets it go through the game code quicker - making calculations that effect things like player movement and ai.  So it should make the X1 slightly better there.

Will it make it better than PS4...no.  PS4 has an advantage in its GPU such as more cores (1152 vs 768) and a higher peak shader throughput (1.84 vs 1.33 TFLOPS).  So the PS4 has an advantage rendering graphics.  PS4 also has better RAM bandwith. 

Both systems use similar architecture...I also don't think there will be much of a difference in most multiplats.

TheKingIAm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 TheKingIAm
Member since 2013 • 1531 Posts
It will be a little bit closer to ps4 but still alot weaker......gosh ms sucks.
XBOunity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 XBOunity
Member since 2013 • 3837 Posts

It would only mean anything if it was the ps4 doing it.  

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

It would only mean anything if it was the ps4 doing it.  

XBOunity

PS4 is not the one playing catch up.

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#22 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

[QUOTE="adamosmaki"]very little . Probably marginal better performance ( we are talking in the vicinity of 1-2 frames per second ) on some heavy A.I gameskenmid

When you use probably in your sentence means that you have know ideal.

When you cant put up a sentence made up of 13 words correctly then you have "know ideal" ( whatever that know ideal means )
Raziel831991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Raziel831991
Member since 2013 • 631 Posts

Not much really, a 150 mhz CPU upclock barely means anything

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44066 Posts

It means MS continues to tweak The One :o believe it or not.

Soon it will be mooaar powahful than top of the line gaming PC's bought in 2015 :shock: :twisted:

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

Nothing to little to late.

Wickerman777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Wickerman777
Member since 2013 • 2164 Posts

It doesn't mean much of anything. These "improvements" by MS have been so marginal that they don't change anything. Apparently tiny tweaks is all they're able to do to improve Xbox One hardware.

ManatuBeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ManatuBeard
Member since 2012 • 1121 Posts

It means it is better than what it was before the boost...

The practical meaning? Unmeasureable...

Exclusives will be made for its hardware but because they are exclusives they cant be compared with the competition counterparts.

Multiplats optimization wont go to the same extent as exlusives, because... time and time=money. The comparison of multiplats with the competition will depend on the approach the dev used to make each port.

So in the end... WE KNOW NOTHING! We are in the exact same place we were before the GPU boost and this CPU boost.

Only after both consoles are out and , for example, Digital Foundry gets their hands on them and the games, we will know what it means compared to the competition.

Edit: More clear answer.

To know what the boost means we would need access to benchmarks of the CPU pre and post boost. Same thing with the GPU boost. Since both are semi-customs we don't know their real power, we can only make comparisons with similar retail CPUs/GPUs

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 tormentos

It doesn't mean much of anything. These "improvements" by MS have been so marginal that they don't change anything. Apparently tiny tweaks is all they're able to do to improve Xbox One hardware.

Wickerman777

But at least give them a bragging right,as i saw yesterday Panello saying 1.7 > 1.6,we all know what MS is trying to do,i would not be surprice if the say now 853> 800..:lol:

Wickerman777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Wickerman777

[QUOTE="Wickerman777"]

tormentos

But at least give them a bragging right,as i saw yesterday Panello saying 1.7 > 1.6,we all know what MS is trying to do,i would not be surprice if the say now 853> 800..:lol:

If they wanted something legitimate to brag about they should have upped the RAM amount. 12 gigs would be overkill imo but I still believe they coulda' found a way to do 10 gigs if the will was there to do so.

And I don't believe misterxmedia's claims about a dGPU at all (Absolutely impossible to keep such a thing a secret from devs. And why be secretive about it in the first place?) but it ain't a bad idea. Ya could keep the APU ya already have and increase power by adding another wafer with more compute units and ROPs. Had they thrown everything they had at doing something like that the moment PS4 specs leaked they might have been able to pull it off. But they just ain't aiming big so microscopic tweaks is all Xbox One is getting.

Wickerman777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Wickerman777

[QUOTE="tormentos"]

[QUOTE="Wickerman777"]

sts106mat

what are the clock speeds of the PS4 CPU and GPU?

800 mhz for the GPU, 1.6 ghz (I think) for the CPU. But despite that it's more powerful, especially the GPU. From what I've read Xbox One has a tiny edge with the CPU even prior to the upclock just because of the way they put it all together. But that will get negated by PS4's ability to throw some of its GPU cores into compute mode to aid the CPU. However, when it comes to compute we don't know how much of a difference MS's plans to utilize cloud computing is going to make.

Wickerman777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Wickerman777

[QUOTE="Wickerman777"]

[QUOTE="sts106mat"] what are the clock speeds of the PS4 CPU and GPU?

sts106mat

800 mhz for the GPU, 1.6 ghz (I think) for the CPU. But despite that it's more powerful, especially the GPU. From what I've read Xbox One has a small edge with the CPU even prior to the upclock just because of the way they put it all together. But that will get negated by PS4's ability to throw some of its GPU cores into compute mode to aid the CPU. However, when it comes to compute we don't know how much of a difference MS's plans to utilize cloud computing is going to make.

are those official figures released by Sony or just speculation?

Those are the numbers I've heard up to this point. I think they're unlikely to change because PS4 has such a small case. Upclocking a console that tiny wouldn't be easy at this stage.

But anyway, it really doesn't matter. Tiny upclocks are not a big deal at all. MS could clock it's GPU to 1,000 mhz and its CPU to 2 ghz and PS4 would still have an edge over it because it has so many more CUs and ROPs on its GPU than Xbox One does.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#34 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

NathanDrakeSwag

dont say that dude.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44066 Posts

[QUOTE="NathanDrakeSwag"]

sukraj

dont say that dude.

That's like asking a dog not to lick his b..... :twisted:

Anyway, wouldn't worry about heat issues with the size of X1, PS4 on the other hand, not so much. :P

Wickerman777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Wickerman777

[QUOTE="Wickerman777"]

[QUOTE="sts106mat"] are those official figures released by Sony or just speculation?sts106mat

Those are the numbers I've heard up to this point. I think they're unlikely to change because PS4 has such a small case. Upclocking a console that tiny wouldn't be easy at this stage.

But anyway, it really doesn't matter. Tiny upclocks are not a big deal at all. MS could clock it's GPU to 1,000 mhz and its CPU to 2 ghz and PS4 would still have an edge over it because it has so many more CUs and ROPs on its GPU than Xbox One does.

exactly "numbers you've heard" what are the official clock speeds, released by Sony?

Lol, if ya won't take my word for it there are these things called search engines like Google, Yahoo, Bing, etc.

It's a mystery to me why you care so much though. It's pretty much irrelevant.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 tormentos

what are the clock speeds of the PS4 CPU and GPU?

sts106mat

It has been rumor to be 1.6 for theCPU but it was taken from a Killzone SF presentation,that presentation had unfinish hardware,is the same place where Richard Leadbetter took teh 2 core CPU reservation for OS as well,and all was based on a demo done on Unifnish hardware.

But for now 1.6 mhz and 800mhz the GPU.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 tormentos

exactly "numbers you've heard" what are the official clock speeds, released by Sony?sts106mat

They haven't say their precentation only say 8 core CPU and 800mhz GPU,Sony can match the speed bump quite easy,but i dont't think is in their best interest to do,risking failure of hardware,if the xbox one was $399 i would still keep it at least for launch those last minute upgrades can be a problem.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#40 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

Pretty much nothing.

Think of it like driving on the highway. Instead of going 70mph, you go 75mph. You might get to the destination a hair faster, but it's nothing to celebrate.

Wickerman777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Wickerman777

Pretty much nothing.

Think of it like driving on the highway. Instead of going 70mph, you go 75mph. You might get to the destination a hair faster, but it's nothing to celebrate.

YearoftheSnake5

I think a better way to put that, a way that makes it more relevant to what we're talking about here, would be to say:

"Think of it like driving on the highway. Instead of going 70mph, you go 75mph. You might be going a little faster, but you're still driving the same car."

What I mean by that is: a lot of silicon > overclocking the hell out of a little bit of silicon. The latter might artificially get you similar numbers but you're gonna get better real-world performace with the former.

Wickerman777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Wickerman777

[QUOTE="Wickerman777"]

[QUOTE="sts106mat"] exactly "numbers you've heard" what are the official clock speeds, released by Sony?sts106mat

Lol, if ya won't take my word for it there are these things called search engines like Google, Yahoo, Bing, etc.

It's a mystery to me why you care so much though. It's pretty much irrelevant.

I dont care, just wondering why there are people bashing XB1 without official confirmation of what the PS4's speeds are

Because PS4 has 18 CUs and 32 ROPs vs Xbox One's 12 CUs and 16 ROPs. No amount of overclocking by MS is gonna erase that gap. To get it on par with PS4 it needs a better GPU, not just overclocking the GPU it already has.

McSkombi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 McSkombi
Member since 2006 • 842 Posts

OK - non-fanboy response (really, good luck getting that on SW)

It's not a huge increase - but a faster CPU lets it go through the game code quicker - making calculations that effect things like player movement and ai.  So it should make the X1 slightly better there.

Will it make it better than PS4...no.  PS4 has an advantage in its GPU such as more cores (1152 vs 768) and a higher peak shader throughput (1.84 vs 1.33 TFLOPS).  So the PS4 has an advantage rendering graphics.  PS4 also has better RAM bandwith. 

Both systems use similar architecture...I also don't think there will be much of a difference in most multiplats.

Alpha_S_
Oh my god, someone with a brain and honesty in here? I can't believe it! Thanks buddy! (no sarcasm at all!!)
no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 no-scope-AK47
Member since 2012 • 3755 Posts

Honestly even on a i7 cpu a 100mhz bump is nothing to write home about let alone on a tablet cpu. This should help maybe 1 second on encoding videos for youtube.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

What does it all mean? what will it give an advantage to compared to the ps4?

id prefer having hermits comment on this thread rather than butthurt cows and blind lems.

Pitbulllova

That fact of the matter is this: the PS4 really isn't that much more powerful than the XB1. Best case, it will have a few extra frames per second. So, this power boost is just PR. Once you read past the fanboy bullsh*t and speculation, most analyists agree that they are about the same in power.

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

Hopefully someone tears them apart in the not too distant future, and put a lid on these discussions.

Not long ago everyone was moaning about PC elitst, and now we're all experts.... 

BlbecekBobecek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#50 BlbecekBobecek
Member since 2006 • 2949 Posts

[QUOTE="Supabul"][QUOTE="stereointegrity"]in reality....not a single thingseanmcloughlin

Then why did they do it