What do you think Microsoft's fallout plan should be?

• 71 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Alcapello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Poll What do you think Microsoft's fallout plan should be? (44 votes)

Microsoft should ignore the problem another generation and settle for 2nd or 3rd place again 25%
Microsoft should drop out and focus on software development 18%
Drop out of gaming altogether 57%

Considering recent sales of the PS4 doubling the xbox 1 and the wii u halving it, it pretty much looks pretty damaging to the gaming division for the xbox.

These sales figures don't even include the worldwide launch of the PS4 in places including Japan, and more recently where consoles have been unbanned, China.

There are obviously options which the company could possibly be reviewing, but what do you think the best course of action would be for them at this point.

Can they risk ignoring the trend, and possibly be crushed worse than the PS2 did to the xbox1?

Or should they focus on software like sega?

• 
ominous_titan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By ominous_titan
Member since 2009 • 1217 Posts

@juarbles said:

@ominous_titan said:

@delta3074 said:

i have been gaming for 28 years sunshine, please tell me how the xbone is damaging gaming?

@juarbles said:

@ominous_titan said:

@juarbles: im curious what you do that makes you feel so superior ?

I don't pretend to be superior to other real gamers out there but, from a gaming perspective, I'm definitely superior to all the non-gamers and anti-gamers out there (AKA xboners) for the simple fact that I'm not actively harming gaming by supporting the xbone.

i have been gaming for 28 years, please tell me how the Xbone is damaging gaming?

And 'it is because i say so' ain't gonna cut the mustard, please provide an articulate answer with some sort of evidence to back up your claim

id like to know this too since ive been gaming since the early 80s , how has my three decades of supporting gaming hurt gaming? if anything juarbles youre an exact specimen of the negative stereotype gamers have. its people like you ,who act like you online why non gamers call gamers basement virgins. and that stereotype hurts gaming more then a company who makes videogame consoles.if M$ wanted to harm gaming they would have just bought the playstation and killed it, because they can

If what Microsoft tried to do in july is not trying to harm gaming then I don't know what that is. But xboners will be xboners and they will never acknowledge that or anything bad about the xbone and Microsoft, no matter how much time they claim to be "gaming" they show a disregard for gaming by supporting the xbone and therefore they are not real gamers.

if you mean DRM you might want to do some research sony has a patent that ties a disc to a system they announced a couple years back they were quite proud of they just didnt implement it, cows have short memories. personally idc about DRM i dont believe game stores should be allowed to resell games the way they do anyways, that hurts gaming as the devs dont see a dime in resold games. only poor people whine about drm. i commend you for toning down your extreme fanboyism for a moment your response

ominous_titan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By ominous_titan
Member since 2009 • 1217 Posts

@juarbles: Sony was smart enough to not implement it and kudos to them, I don't disagree that ms has stumbled out of the gate this gen but characterizing those who own them are anti gaming doesn't make sense. I'm one of those ppl who own one, I also have the wii u and a ps4 and plan on building a pc rig in may. I'm all for good games on any system. Long live this gen I'm ready to enjoy all of it to its fullest.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#54  Edited By HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts

@alcapello said:

@HalcyonScarlet said:

I know arguing with fanboys is like arguing with a brick wall, but you really need to give a console more than 3 months. It takes just over a year for consoles to take off. A LOT of problems have to be ironed out and development has to pick up at a consistent pace. When the price drops, and it will, things will change.

It's like the cows forgot about the first 2 years of the PS3. Things were so bad, I didn't think they could come back and when they did, I admired them for it. If the PS3 can come back from the brink, why can't the X1 come back from a position that is minor in comparison. And Sony fought through much worse problems all gen.

It's nice to see this change into fanboy wars, but any degree of common sense will tell you that the Playstation 3 had alot of potential waiting for it's future, with development, infrastructure, and a history of delivering franchises.

Where do you see that in this picture?

What I see is a Kinect being forced to the forefront, a lack of 1st party support, and inferior all around performance in a time where the threshold is right above it's reach.

These are different times my friend.

The PS3 was in that position because they greatly underestimated their opponent MS. They were taken by surprise. They had to suddenly prioritise a lot of areas and realised that they couldn't monopolise the industry with the consumers and developers moving over. Even the hardware design of the PS3 is a testament to their old philosophy of 'my way or the highway'.

What I'm saying, is that instead of righting off the X1 this early, people should give it a chance. We'll get a clear picture of it in a years time. The PS4 is running off 'benefit of the doubt' because it hasn't even got good exclusives right now. So why not wait and see how both consoles turn out. I'm not saying the X1 will win, but I'm saying it's not going to be anywhere near that bad that it derserves a thread like this.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#55  Edited By Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

There is no competition with the Xbox One and PS4 since they are on two different sides of the spectrum that can't be compared. With that in mind, Xbox dropping out would not change a thing. They've done nothing but ruined the quality of the video game industry with their greed. Microtransactions, DLC, pay for all online access, proprietary headset jacks, and promotion of crappy casual games like Call of Duty.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12062 Posts

Ha, people are acting like MSoft didn't just have a great quarter and year. The Xbox is making money, it is selling slightly less than a competitor that is a $100 cheaper, and has a monster in Titanfall........

2014 is going to be awesome!

hoyalawya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 hoyalawya
Member since 2014 • 344 Posts

Buy EA, Activision-Blizzard, and Take Two. Set price for those games at $40 for Xbox and $95 for PS.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#58  Edited By speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

LOL Microsoft.

Lems are being nickeled and dimed and they don't seem to care. :(

bforrester420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 bforrester420
Member since 2014 • 3480 Posts

I think this is their last console. Their shareholders are already clamoring to drop the Consumer Devices division. If they don't drop Kinect and the price by $150, they're dead in the water this generation. Sony is already pulling away and they haven't even released in Japan yet.

Jacobistheman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Jacobistheman
Member since 2007 • 3975 Posts

It doesn't matter to Microsoft very much if the PS4 is outselling it as long as the Xbox is making money for them. It is making plenty of money and selling really well so they don' really need a "fallout plan"

bforrester420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 bforrester420

@Jacobistheman said:

It doesn't matter to Microsoft very much if the PS4 is outselling it as long as the Xbox is making money for them. It is making plenty of money and selling really well so they don' really need a "fallout plan"

That's not entirely true. There are two intertwined economic concepts at play here: ROI (return on investment) and opportunity cost.

A company might make a profit on a product or service, but if they can get a better return elsewhere, that's where their capital investment will flow. If Microsoft is only achieving net margins of 5% on Xbox (totally made up numbers, btw) and can get margins higher than that in other products or investments, they wouldn't hesitate to move investment to higher returning products.

Jacobistheman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Jacobistheman

@bforrester420
said:

@Jacobistheman said:

That's not entirely true. There are two intertwined economic concepts at play here: ROI (return on investment) and opportunity cost.

A company might make a profit on a product or service, but if they can get a better return elsewhere, that's where their capital investment will flow. If Microsoft is only achieving net margins of 5% on Xbox (totally made up numbers, btw) and can get margins higher than that in other products or investments, they wouldn't hesitate to move investment to higher returning products.

First of all, the ROI of Xbox is higher than plenty of other Microsoft Business Divisions. Second, it is incredibly valuable to Microsoft to have a computer in everyone living room even if they don't make any money on Xbox directly.

Anyway, Microsoft is sitting on a 83 billion dollars in Cash. That is more than enough for Microsoft to invest in any product they want to without shutting down Xbox.

bforrester420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By bforrester420

@SEANMCAD said:

They are strong in the enterprise space (company to company) but even that is under threat.

The ironic thing is that they want to move everything to the cloud but at the same time they do not have a light client OS or a browser anyone wants to use...but Google does.

They need to hussle and make a competitor to GoogleOS if they also plan to move all their software to the cloud which would all be accessed via a browser.

They are currently in very deep shit. BUT they have more money then god.

This is true to a larger extent than a lot of people know. The company for which I work has been moving away from SQL Server (towards MySQL) and Windows Server OS (towards Linux) where ever possible.

Microsoft's licensing has gotten ridiculously expensive on the business software and they don't really offer much outside of Office, Windows, SQL, and some Project management software (MS Project Server). Most real business software comes from Oracle, SAP, and IBM.

bforrester420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By bforrester420

@Jacobistheman said:

@bforrester420 said:

@Jacobistheman said:

First of all, the ROI of Xbox is higher than plenty of other Microsoft Business Divisions. Second, it is incredibly valuable to Microsoft to have a computer in everyone living room even if they don't make any money on Xbox directly.

Anyway, Microsoft is sitting on a 83 billion dollars in Cash. That is more than enough for Microsoft to invest in any product they want to without shutting down Xbox.

Microsoft does have a lot of cash on hand, but they aren't sitting on $83b, they're sitting on $68.31b, according to Forbes.

http://www.forbes.com/companies/microsoft/

Microsoft's business division, their bread and butter, is facing stiff competition, noted in another post of mine in this thread.

Since you seem to know, what are the margins on the Xbox brand, with links please?

bforrester420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 bforrester420

@SEANMCAD said:

@bforrester420 said:

@SEANMCAD said:

They are strong in the enterprise space (company to company) but even that is under threat.

The ironic thing is that they want to move everything to the cloud but at the same time they do not have a light client OS or a browser anyone wants to use...but Google does.

They need to hussle and make a competitor to GoogleOS if they also plan to move all their software to the cloud which would all be accessed via a browser.

They are currently in very deep shit. BUT they have more money then god.

This is true to a larger extent than a lot of people know. The company for which I work has been moving away from SQL Server (towards MySQL) and Windows Server OS (towards Linux) where ever possible.

Microsoft's licensing has gotten ridiculously expensive on the business software and they don't really offer much outside of Office, Windows, SQL, and some Project management software (MS Project Server). Most real business software comes from Oracle, SAP, and IBM.

yup..

I am currently doing development on SharePoint 2013 and its stunning the negative changes they have made making development on the platform actually harder then it was in 2010 I am still trying to understand why they made some of the moves they have.

I forgot about Sharepoint. We use the crap out of that for document sharing.

SQL server used to be pretty affordable, but in their infinite wisdom, Microsoft decided to license per CPU core rather than on a per CPU basis like they used to. We've actually moved some databases to Oracle 11g (which is freakin' expensive on its own) rather than buying more SQL Server licenses.

Jacobistheman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Jacobistheman

@bforrester420 said:

@Jacobistheman said:

@bforrester420 said:

@Jacobistheman said:

Anyway, Microsoft is sitting on a 83 billion dollars in Cash. That is more than enough for Microsoft to invest in any product they want to without shI dutting down Xbox.

Microsoft does have a lot of cash on hand, but they aren't sitting on $83b, they're sitting on $68.31b, according to Forbes.

Microsoft's business division, their bread and butter, is facing stiff competition, noted in another post of mine in this thread.

Since you seem to know, what are the margins on the Xbox brand, with links please?

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/ks?s=MSFT (and it doesn't matter if it is 83 billion or 68 billion, the point is still valid)

I don't have any links to exact ROI for xbox, but Microsoft made more than 1 billion dollars on xbox last year. They have businesses that don't make any money (Bing and Windows Phone) so Xbox has to have a higher ROI.

http://www.zdnet.com/microsofts-16-billion-dollar-businesses-an-updated-list-7000019346/

Microsoft's business division might be facing competition, but they are are still posting record profits so that point doesn't really matter anyway.

bforrester420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By bforrester420

@Jacobistheman said:

@bforrester420 said:

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/ks?s=MSFT (and it doesn't matter if it is 83 billion or 68 billion, the point is still valid)

I don't have any links to exact ROI for xbox, but Microsoft made more than 1 billion dollars on xbox last year. They have businesses that don't make any money (Bing and Windows Phone) so Xbox has to have a higher ROI.

http://www.zdnet.com/microsofts-16-billion-dollar-businesses-an-updated-list-7000019346/

Microsoft's business division might be facing competition, but they are are still posting record profits so that point doesn't really matter anyway.

I couldn't find profit margins for the Xbox brand alone, but for Fiscal Year 2012, the Entertainment and Devices (of which the Xbox brand is included) net profit margin was 3.7% with profits of $364m on sales of $9.593b.

Granted, the E & D division contains some of their less-than-popular brands like the Surface tablet and the Nokia phones.

https://www.microsoft.com/investor/EarningsAndFinancials/Earnings/PressReleaseAndWebcast/fy12/Q4/default.aspx

Yeah...I'm nerd for Financial Statements...

Alcapello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Alcapello
Member since 2014 • 1396 Posts

@bforrester420 said:

@Jacobistheman said:

@bforrester420 said:

I couldn't find profit margins for the Xbox brand alone, but for Fiscal Year 2012, the Entertainment and Devices (of which the Xbox brand is included) net profit margin was 3.7% with profits of $364m on sales of $9.593b.

Granted, the E & D division contains some of their less-than-popular brands like the Surface tablet and the Nokia phones.

https://www.microsoft.com/investor/EarningsAndFinancials/Earnings/PressReleaseAndWebcast/fy12/Q4/default.aspx

Yeah...I'm nerd for Financial Statements...

Has this been confirmed on the site?