What do you think Microsoft's fallout plan should be?

• 71 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Alcapello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Poll What do you think Microsoft's fallout plan should be? (44 votes)

Microsoft should ignore the problem another generation and settle for 2nd or 3rd place again 25%
Microsoft should drop out and focus on software development 18%
Drop out of gaming altogether 57%

Considering recent sales of the PS4 doubling the xbox 1 and the wii u halving it, it pretty much looks pretty damaging to the gaming division for the xbox.

These sales figures don't even include the worldwide launch of the PS4 in places including Japan, and more recently where consoles have been unbanned, China.

There are obviously options which the company could possibly be reviewing, but what do you think the best course of action would be for them at this point.

Can they risk ignoring the trend, and possibly be crushed worse than the PS2 did to the xbox1?

Or should they focus on software like sega?

• 
Sweenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1 Sweenix
Member since 2013 • 5957 Posts

They will drop out of gaming, if the xbox one fails. Inverters already want out. Personally microsoft should stay, because competition is good, but i couldn't care less if they left either.

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By I_can_haz
Member since 2013 • 6511 Posts

I think they'll sell off Xbox division and drop out, especially now that the Xbone is a guaranteed flop. I wonder who they'd sell it to though. Maybe Amazon but then Amazon doesn't have the deep pockets like M$ to be paying off for timed exclusives and they probably won't bite.

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts

Xbone launch has been a success as far as they are concerned. There is no fallout plan.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

@NFJSupreme said:

Xbone launch has been a success as far as they are concerned. There is no fallout plan.

Well the Wiiu would have been a success too if success was only measured by the first month and a half. Xbone sales have fallen off a cliff just like Wiiu did after its first holiday.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

They should get ready to sell Sony their manufacturing plants, seems like they're gonna need them,

nyzma23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 nyzma23
Member since 2013 • 1003 Posts

lol fanboy consoles don't need to be no.1 to be sucess and microsoft sold xbone on profit ,you like it or not microsoft is still making money

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By I_can_haz
Member since 2013 • 6511 Posts

@nyzma23 said:

lol fanboy consoles don't need to be no.1 to be sucess and microsoft sold xbone on profit ,you like it or not microsoft is still making money

Dem lem tears.

nyzma23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 nyzma23

@I_can_haz said:

@nyzma23 said:

Dem lem tears.

CrashNBurn281

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 CrashNBurn281
Member since 2014 • 1574 Posts

Microsoft did well last gen. Their red ring problem hurt the financials, but it doesn't look like the XBO will have the same hardware problems.

Great philosophy, if your not first just quit. Sigh...

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10  Edited By bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts
@I_can_haz said:

@nyzma23 said:

Dem lem tears.

Good good, let the ignorance flow through you!

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

@nyzma23: I seriously doubt Microsoft is making a profit when you include money wasted on Kinect development, NFL deals and other trash that isn't helping it sell. Moneyhatting games is also way more expensive than making your own.

nyzma23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By nyzma23

@StrongBlackVine said:

@nyzma23: I seriously doubt Microsoft is making a profit when you include money wasted on Kinect development, NFL deals and other trash that isn't helping it sell. Moneyhatting games is also way more expensive than making your own.

they all included in investment cost and microsoft have their own calculation kinect will sell separately and will have windows sdk just like the first and nfl deal not only for xbone but also for 360,windows 8 and windows phone (next season all nfl team will use microsoft product)

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

Haha, I love the doom and gloom extremes of SW. All 3 of these consoles are going to cut out their own niche.

Wii U will pull off a little better than Gamecube numbers, Xbone will come in a little short of the 360 and the PS4 will just dominate... which is pretty cool actually, this will be the first time that Sony leads the pack while also having the best hardware. Finally, the majority of devs won't be building games for a weaker box.

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14  Edited By stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

They will leave the gaming market and sell off the kinect to all the 3rd parties so the tech can be built into all PC's, TV's and phones.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts

I know arguing with fanboys is like arguing with a brick wall, but you really need to give a console more than 3 months. It takes just over a year for consoles to take off. A LOT of problems have to be ironed out and development has to pick up at a consistent pace. When the price drops, and it will, things will change.

It's like the cows forgot about the first 2 years of the PS3. Things were so bad, I didn't think they could come back and when they did, I admired them for it. If the PS3 can come back from the brink, why can't the X1 come back from a position that is minor in comparison. And Sony fought through much worse problems all gen.

Suppaman100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Suppaman100
Member since 2013 • 5250 Posts

1. Doesn't sell in Japan

2. Important shareholders want to get rid of Xbox division

3. Xbone is constantly outsold by PS4 in almost every region in the world

4. Bad publicity, people know MS's true intentions

5. MS still didn't make any net profit from Xbox

6. MS wants to go the casual route with kinect, but this gimmick doesn't seem to catch on like wii

If Xbone fails, it will be the end for Xbox

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46279 Posts

They should quit gaming altogether.

Last gen they focussed on DLC resulting in things like horse armor and devs that wanted to release free DLC and weren't allowed to.

And this gen it's microtransactions in full priced games, as we've seen in launch titles like Forza and Ryse.

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By misterpmedia
Member since 2013 • 6209 Posts

The profits from Xbox(if any) are like a grain of sand dropping into the ocean. They are software and corporate first and foremost. They should cut the fat and focus on what they do best.

Not to mention it would be interesting to see how Xbox performs and survives without Daddy's cheque book there to spoil and sort out problems.

Will definitely be an interesting turn of events if they do spin off the division. The meltdowns alone would give everyone diabetes.

hamster3_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 hamster3_3
Member since 2007 • 130 Posts

They won't quit but whatever they do is going to be for the gamers so I can't wait. They will have a good E3 this year.

Sagemode87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Sagemode87
Member since 2013 • 3416 Posts

Lems can't catch a break, I'd say MS should focus on creating new studios. The Xbox brand still lacks identity because MS does nothing but buy exclusives from third parties while rehashing Halo, Gears and Forza. Maybe if they make a legacy like Sony and Nintendo they'll be in a better spot.

mrintro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#21 mrintro
Member since 2004 • 1354 Posts

let me put this to you in SW language. x1 = own3d

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

Did a bunch of cows go out ant create alt accounts or something?

MeanLeanBoi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 MeanLeanBoi
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

Its bees sad. Da 360 was da bomb yo but dis xbone bees worse den a hood clucker.

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#24  Edited By donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts

You are thinking like a video game forum poster rather than a corporation. A corporation wants to make money. The Xbox One is making them money. It's a success. You can say, "Well I prefer what Sony is doing", and that's fine and valid, but if you are telling yourself that Sony is the only one making any money this gen then you are insane in the membrane. As of December 28th, Sony had sold 4.2 million as opposed to Microsoft's 3 million. However, Microsoft makes $29 profit per console while the PS4 generates $18 per console. That means as of December 28th, Microsoft made 87 million dollars to Sony's 75.6 million dollars. THAT is what Microsoft cares about. Sure, they would love it if they had more 'mindshare', but they are doing great. The suggestion that they should even consider 'dropping out of the game all together' is simply asinine. Analysts are now predicting that both consoles will reach 100 million in sales by 2020. System Wars and similar game communities represent information bubbles where the most popular posts are typically the most incongruent from the facts... try not to forget that.

hoyalawya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 hoyalawya
Member since 2014 • 344 Posts

For MSFT, Xbox One success will be measured in $$$$$$ and not whether it beats the number of PS4 sold. The latter would be gravy but not going to happen this gen. We are not going to know the financial numbers until April when the next earning report is released.

V3rciS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By V3rciS
Member since 2011 • 2241 Posts

@meanleanboi said:

Its bees sad. Da 360 was da bomb yo but dis xbone bees worse den a hood clucker.

Damn kid, speak human language.

PS: Join #XBoxdone

PinkieWinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 PinkieWinkie
Member since 2006 • 1454 Posts

The plan is already in place, its Titanfall. The hype is real.

ominous_titan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ominous_titan
Member since 2009 • 1217 Posts

nice troll thread wheres the other answer option that should say" keep calm and carry on sony is bankrupt" the ps4 is great but sony is fucked cows , go read some financial reports most analysts believe sony wont even exist in 2 years

ominous_titan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ominous_titan

@juarbles: im curious what you do that makes you feel so superior ?

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts

People on this board really make me laugh, the Xbox 360 consistently outsold the Ps3 in NA by 2 or even 3 to one, the Ps3 didn't get a AAAE title in it's first year and 3rd party developers didn't want to know in the beginning yet it ended up catching up to the 360 and was a very successful console.

The Ps4 outsells the Xbone ONCE by 2-1 and apparently it's all over for the Xbox, sometimes i think people on here are willfully dense,lol

flashn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32  Edited By flashn00b
Member since 2006 • 3949 Posts

I'm still expecting Microsoft to ragequit the console market, but not before auctioning off their intellectual properties, which leaves us with another question:

Who should pick up Age of Empires/Age of Mythology, or are we better off leaving it for dead? Although I can see Paradox picking up Rise of Nations/Rise of Legends, I'd like to think that Ensemble's brand of RTS is a different entity from Rise of Nations despite both IPs being owned by microsoft.

But yeah, if Microsoft auctions off its IPs, I'm half-expecting Sony to get out of their way to buy Halo just to spit on the Xbox brand.

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts

i have been gaming for 28 years sunshine, please tell me how the xbone is damaging gaming?

@juarbles said:

@ominous_titan said:

I don't pretend to be superior to other real gamers out there but, from a gaming perspective, I'm definitely superior to all the non-gamers and anti-gamers out there (AKA xboners) for the simple fact that I'm not actively harming gaming by supporting the xbone.

i have been gaming for 28 years, please tell me how the Xbone is damaging gaming?

And 'it is because i say so' ain't gonna cut the mustard, please provide an articulate answer with some sort of evidence to back up your claim

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

Mmmh. I would say that they should tough it out for around 5 years, and release a new console. But they better drop most of hte people designing the X1, given how it was made like something kids would have found fun 20 years ago.

The Kinect (both Price and performance) is killing them right now, I see Little way they could come back from that failed aim now with the X1, so 5 years (would suck to the ones having an x1 to have it put Down) And get a new one going in 5 years give or take.

The same thing I think Nintendo should do to be honest.

ominous_titan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 ominous_titan

@delta3074 said:

i have been gaming for 28 years sunshine, please tell me how the xbone is damaging gaming?

@juarbles said:

@ominous_titan said:

I don't pretend to be superior to other real gamers out there but, from a gaming perspective, I'm definitely superior to all the non-gamers and anti-gamers out there (AKA xboners) for the simple fact that I'm not actively harming gaming by supporting the xbone.

i have been gaming for 28 years, please tell me how the Xbone is damaging gaming?

And 'it is because i say so' ain't gonna cut the mustard, please provide an articulate answer with some sort of evidence to back up your claim

id like to know this too since ive been gaming since the early 80s , how has my three decades of supporting gaming hurt gaming? if anything juarbles youre an exact specimen of the negative stereotype gamers have. its people like you ,who act like you online why non gamers call gamers basement virgins. and that stereotype hurts gaming more then a company who makes videogame consoles.if M$ wanted to harm gaming they would have just bought the playstation and killed it, because they can

GameMediator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 GameMediator
Member since 2014 • 75 Posts

They just need to lower the price a bit. Xbox one has the best software lineup (besides nintendos)

sale don't mean anything to me, Im loving the xbox one experience. Once developers get used to the hardware and make better looking games I guess all those ignorant cows will realize how much better it is and sales will start to increase.

lglz1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 lglz1337
Member since 2013 • 4959 Posts

MS just drop the F out and the world would be a saver and better place!

gensigns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 gensigns
Member since 2007 • 1495 Posts

@delta3074 said:

@juarbles said:

@ominous_titan said:

lol, did you just ask for an articulate answer from Juarbles!

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11775 Posts

@delta3074 said:

People on this board really make me laugh, the Xbox 360 consistently outsold the Ps3 in NA by 2 or even 3 to one, the Ps3 didn't get a AAAE title in it's first year and 3rd party developers didn't want to know in the beginning yet it ended up catching up to the 360 and was a very successful console.

The Ps4 outsells the Xbone ONCE by 2-1 and apparently it's all over for the Xbox, sometimes i think people on here are willfully dense,lol

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#41 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

They should go third party. Oh wait... they have no good first or second party games. Just quit the console business all together.

Alcapello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Alcapello
Member since 2014 • 1396 Posts

@HalcyonScarlet said:

I know arguing with fanboys is like arguing with a brick wall, but you really need to give a console more than 3 months. It takes just over a year for consoles to take off. A LOT of problems have to be ironed out and development has to pick up at a consistent pace. When the price drops, and it will, things will change.

It's like the cows forgot about the first 2 years of the PS3. Things were so bad, I didn't think they could come back and when they did, I admired them for it. If the PS3 can come back from the brink, why can't the X1 come back from a position that is minor in comparison. And Sony fought through much worse problems all gen.

It's nice to see this change into fanboy wars, but any degree of common sense will tell you that the Playstation 3 had alot of potential waiting for it's future, with development, infrastructure, and a history of delivering franchises.

Where do you see that in this picture?

What I see is a Kinect being forced to the forefront, a lack of 1st party support, and inferior all around performance in a time where the threshold is right above it's reach.

These are different times my friend.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

They should probably just go 3rd party.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 PurpleMan5000

@Bigboi500 said:

They should go third party. Oh wait... they have no good first or second party games. Just quit the console business all together.

They own Halo, Flight Simulator, Age of Empires/Mythology, Gears of War, and MechWarrior. They just don't have any of the talent in their first party studios that made those games great.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Bigboi500

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@Bigboi500 said:

They own Halo, Flight Simulator, Age of Empires/Mythology, Gears of War, and MechWarrior. They just don't have any of the talent in their first party studios that made those games great.

Halo is the only franchise they own that still has any potential. They don't do anything but buy others' work and claim it as their own. They bought Rare and ran them into the ground, and they'll do the same with the Gears franchise.

Any other company could come along and do a better job than that.

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#47 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts

@Bigboi500 said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@Bigboi500 said:

Halo is the only franchise they own that still has any potential. They don't do anything but buy others' work and claim it as their own. They bought Rare and ran them into the ground, and they'll do the same with the Gears franchise.

Gears of War did as much to advance the shooter last gen as Halo did the gen before that. You may not like it, but Naughty Dog and every game that shipped with a 'Horde Mode' variant sure did.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By PurpleMan5000
@Bigboi500 said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@Bigboi500 said:

I liked Microsoft a whole lot more when they were just publishing games, rather than trying to compete in console gaming. I would love to see them sell off the Xbox Division and use that money toward getting some game developers to start making quality games again.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Bigboi500

@donalbane said:

@Bigboi500 said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@Bigboi500 said:

Gears of War did as much to advance the shooter last gen as Halo did the gen before that. You may not like it, but Naughty Dog and every game that shipped with a 'Horde Mode' variant sure did.

I did like it. Gears series was among my favorite games on the 360. Judgement showed us the series has nowhere left to go. You give the series too much credit though, as the inspiration for it came from Resident Evil 4, the real advancement in third person shooters.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Bigboi500

@PurpleMan5000 said:
@Bigboi500 said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@Bigboi500 said:

I liked Microsoft a whole lot more when they were just publishing games, rather than trying to compete in console gaming. I would love to see them sell off the Xbox Division and use that money toward getting some game developers to start making quality games again.

Me too. They seem to be a much better company for gamers when they're not scheming and conspiring to take over the world with their faulty or inferior hardware.