Wall St. Journal: 'Playing the FOOL' How Sony helped pay for 360 development.

• 170 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Afro_Samurai1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#101 Afro_Samurai1
Member since 2008 • 522 Posts
[QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"] Yea, but I don't know if I'd call it "shady". this was the contract the 3 companies worked out. I'm sure Sony is smart enough to know that their agreement would mean competitors being able to buy parts of the technology from IBM. I just think they never expected in their wildest dreams that this generation could have played out the way it did.SpruceCaboose
Sony was the victim of their own hubris. They felt (and they were right) that they owned the gaming scene after the PSOne and PS2. However, that went to their head and they made a system that is/was too grand for the industry to bear, and they suffered for it.

I think this generation was exactly what Sony needed. A big fall to put things back into perspective for them.

Hopefully they recognize that its the games and not the systems that are important to most gamers, and they can make the PS4 as amazing, affordable, and as developer friendly as they can.

amen too that I hope Sony gets it right next gen if they don't I probally would still buy a ps4 just for the heck of it.

Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#102 Dreams-Visions
Member since 2006 • 26578 Posts

Wwhat you said is wrong I would say more but my html is not well formed

Afro_Samurai1

yea, this site is glitchy to an extreme and it's very frustrating.

bottom line: if you think I'm wrong, than don't waste either of our time with conjecture. go find the links. Summarize. **** the excuses. and again, if you prefer only nice things be discussed, the Playstation 3 forum is for you. It's really cool over there. No controversy at all.

FirstDiscovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 FirstDiscovery
Member since 2008 • 5508 Posts
[QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"][QUOTE="Afro_Samurai1"]

number 1 that is too much work for me to being doing

number 2 I am no kid

number 3 the only person making a big deal out of it is you[posting this up knowing people are going to argue over it I think this called flamebait but that is sw]

Afro_Samurai1

*yawn*

1.) then don't presume to conclude where my allegiences lie. the reality is you won't do the work because you already know they don't exist right now. Nobody is saying anything bad about the Wii because it's making stupid money and selling at a legenary pace. Their DS is a cash cow. Nobody is writing articles critical of MS right now because they're selling more than they did last year at this time and their exclusives are cleaning up. Not true for Sony right now. You know it. Whether you accept the reality so that you can discuss the future from a proper perspective or not is something I have no control over. But your lack of acceptance of current circumstances won't change the circumstances. Bury your head in the sand all you like. I'll continue thinking about what Sony can do better to improve their products and offerings.

2.) Then act like it. Accept that your opinion isn't the only opinion and that not everyone who doesn't walk the party line hates the party.

3.) I post it here becuase this is where we talk about industry news in the context of how it affects its userbase and gaming in general. If you want to hear only pleasantries, go to the Playstation 2/3 forum. The link won't be hard for you to find. Hermits don't complain when the quarterly "PC gaming is dying" article is written. Lemmings don't ask for the RROD articles to stop flowing. When the spiget that is causing these articles to stop flowing is closed, the articles will subside. As has already been said, don't blame the messenger. And for a change...try posting something related to the topic. Because not doing so is what we call "trolling" here. I know you're new. Thought I'd inform you.

Worst.backpeddle.EVER:lol:
SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 SpruceCaboose
Member since 2005 • 24589 Posts
Also, while I am ranting at Sony....I would love some more software for my PSP, maybe? Please? I asked Santa, and he just laughed at me....
Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 Dreams-Visions
Also, while I am ranting at Sony....I would love some more software for my PSP, maybe? Please? I asked Santa, and he just laughed at me....SpruceCaboose
they have a decent 2009 coming. Mostly 1st party + Squeenix. but Loco Roco 2, Patapon 2, Final Fantasy, Resistance and several others make the year look pretty good. dunno if that kind of lineup will help them gain any ground on the DS, though.
no_handlebars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 no_handlebars
Member since 2008 • 1774 Posts
Also, while I am ranting at Sony....I would love some more software for my PSP, maybe? Please? I asked Santa, and he just laughed at me....SpruceCaboose
If you haven't already, you should really play Patapon, Spruce. Sooooo awesome.
SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 SpruceCaboose
[QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"]Also, while I am ranting at Sony....I would love some more software for my PSP, maybe? Please? I asked Santa, and he just laughed at me....no_handlebars

Own it. I do need Loco Roco. I am also some 32 hours into FFT:WotL, so I have some time before I *need* another handheld game, but its just been month after month here with nothing on PSP. I don't want it to be a paperweight here in a year or less...
Afro_Samurai1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 Afro_Samurai1
[QUOTE="Afro_Samurai1"]

Dreams-Visions

bottom line: if you think I'm wrong, than don't waste either of our time with conjecture. go find the links. Summarize. **** the excuses. and again, if you prefer only nice things be discussed, the Playstation 3 forum is for you. It's really cool over there. No controversy at all.

I think your very wrong I even wrote 2 paragrahs with links but every time I try post it says html not well formed error

bottomline I got a headache and don't feel like discussing this any further good day

no_handlebars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 no_handlebars
Member since 2008 • 1774 Posts
[QUOTE="no_handlebars"][QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"]Also, while I am ranting at Sony....I would love some more software for my PSP, maybe? Please? I asked Santa, and he just laughed at me....SpruceCaboose

Own it. I do need Loco Roco. I am also some 32 hours into FFT:WotL, so I have some time before I *need* another handheld game, but its just been month after month here with nothing on PSP. I don't want it to be a paperweight here in a year or less...

It really needs more games like Advance Wars & Final Fatasy Tactics Advance. I would kill to see more games like those.
Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 Dreams-Visions

Afro_Samurai1

I think your very wrong I even wrote 2 paragrahs with links but every time I try post it says html not well formed error

bottomline I got a headache and don't feel like discussing this any further good day

lol. ooookay. I'm wrong for reporting the news here. got it. you've been here how long? and you're going to tell ME how System Wars works and what we do? REALLY? I'm outdone. Okay...for your next post...post ON THE TOPIC. or I'll respectfully ask you to find a new thread. you've not posted anything relevant to the topic yet, that I've seen. in other words, you're trolling my thread. please stop it. thanks.
Afro_Samurai1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 Afro_Samurai1
[QUOTE="Afro_Samurai1"][QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"]yea, this site is glitchy to an extreme and it's very frustrating.

Dreams-Visions

lol. ooookay. I'm wrong for reporting the news here. got it. you've been here how long? and you're going to tell ME how System Wars works and what we do? REALLY? I'm outdone. Okay...for your next post...post ON THE TOPIC. or I'll respectfully ask you to find a new thread. you've not posted anything relevant to the topic yet, that I've seen. in other words, you're trolling my thread. please stop it. thanks.

I said good day.

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 SpruceCaboose
[QUOTE="no_handlebars"] It really needs more games like Advance Wars & Final Fatasy Tactics Advance. I would kill to see more games like those.

I have three like it. Final Fantasy Tactics: WotL of course, but also Disgaea Afternoon of Darkness and Jeanne d'Arc. I have not played Disgaea yet (as you know, TRPGs can take forever to finish, and I started with Jeanne), but Jeanne d'Arc is fantastic. If you like TRPGs and you have not played it yet, I highly recommend it. And its pretty cheap now too.

On topic, ;), Sony is still making their money, so its not like they are done for. People should really stop defending these corporations like they were family. They are big businesses. I am sure we are not hurting their feelings here on the forum.
sargentbotk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#113 sargentbotk
Member since 2007 • 4224 Posts
Why are all these cows feeling so butt hurt about DV posting something he didn't write, but found(most likely) amusing(so did I :)). It's just funny how Sony helped make what the 360 is today lol. This isn't DV's fault but Sony's. They made stupid mistakes...you guys should be yelling at them for not doing the right things instead of accusing someone who had nothing to do with Sony's matters.
Blackbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 Blackbond
Member since 2005 • 24516 Posts

sure he would (sarcasm)

Afro_Samurai1

lol @ attacking the messanger. not only would I, but I have and do on a regular basis. you're new here, so I'll give you a pass. I tell ya what: point out all the negative press articles that Microsoft's Xbox 360 and Nintendo Wii/DS have gotten in the last 30 days. Don't worry; I'll wait. When you find them, connect me to the links. Find the days they were posted and see if I was posting that day. The reality is there probably are none. You kids want to make an issue where there is none. You'll see that more the longer you stay here. Right now all the negative news is being directed towards Sony. If I hadn't posted this, someone else would have within the hour. Don't be mad at me that people are writing articles critical of Sony. Blame Sony for putting themselves in the position to be critiqued constantly.

number 2 I am no kid

number 3 the only person making a big deal out of it is you[posting this up knowing people are going to argue over it I think this called flamebait but that is sw]

Please don't whine about the news. Would you rather Dreamsvisions post it or Cole Protocol?

I mean seriously if you want to get mad then get mad at Sony. Oh wait you don't work for them. So don't let it agitate you at all.

Afro_Samurai1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 Afro_Samurai1
[QUOTE="Afro_Samurai1"][QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"] lol @ attacking the messanger. not only would I, but I have and do on a regular basis. you're new here, so I'll give you a pass. I tell ya what: point out all the negative press articles that Microsoft's Xbox 360 and Nintendo Wii/DS have gotten in the last 30 days. Don't worry; I'll wait. When you find them, connect me to the links. Find the days they were posted and see if I was posting that day. The reality is there probably are none. You kids want to make an issue where there is none. You'll see that more the longer you stay here. Right now all the negative news is being directed towards Sony. If I hadn't posted this, someone else would have within the hour. Don't be mad at me that people are writing articles critical of Sony. Blame Sony for putting themselves in the position to be critiqued constantly.Blackbond

number 2 I am no kid

Please don't whine about the news. Would you rather Dreamsvisions post it or Cole Protocol?

I mean seriously if you want to get mad then get mad at Sony. Oh wait you don't work for them. So don't let it agitate you at all.

I'am not mad or frustrated at this thread,I find it amusing that dreamsvsion has been the the one posting the Sony threads the past couple of days.

Blackbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 Blackbond

I'am not mad or frustrated at this thread,I find it amusing that dreamsvsion has been the the one posting the Sony threads the past couple of days.

Afro_Samurai1

I also find it amusing that CNC has been the one posting the sales thread for the past year.....

You obviously don't find it amusing because you're reaction isn't one of amusement, "Good day" correct?

Afro_Samurai1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 Afro_Samurai1
[QUOTE="Afro_Samurai1"]

Blackbond

I also find it amusing that CNC has been the one posting the sales thread for the past year.....

You obviously don't find it amusing because you're reaction isn't one of amusement, "Good day" correct?

don't let my posting fool you I know how sw goes

good day could be my catchphrase

Avatar image for deactivated-5e836a855beb2
deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Member since 2005 • 95573 Posts

you'd be surprised to know which he thought was the best console)

Dreams-Visions
Which is it?
Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 Dreams-Visions
[QUOTE="Blackbond"][QUOTE="Afro_Samurai1"]

Afro_Samurai1

No. "I like to post on topic" should be your catch phrase. Just know that I asked. More than once.
rybe1025

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 rybe1025
Member since 2004 • 6362 Posts
For all the PS3 fans getting so upset seeing bad news about the PS3 stop coming to system wars. I have fun debating about the consoles but I am sick of how many PS3 fans can dish bad news but can not take it. If you only want to see a love fest for the PS3 then go to general gaming or the PS3 forum.
Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 Dreams-Visions
[QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"]

Jandurin
Which is it?

he felt the best about the 360 and what Microsoft was doing with it. as an executive VP, he was well informed about everything that was going on.
Afro_Samurai1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 Afro_Samurai1
[QUOTE="Afro_Samurai1"][QUOTE="Blackbond"]

Dreams-Visions

No. "I like to post on topic" should be your catch phrase. Just know that I asked. More than once.

I, read your your thread twice and your first post I find it messup that Sony helped microsoft but that is my 2 cents on the matter.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
[QUOTE="Jandurin"][QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"]

Dreams-Visions
Which is it?

he felt the best about the 360 and what Microsoft was doing with it. as an executive VP, he was well informed about everything that was going on.

Why would that surprise me. I think MS is doing the best with games this gen too :o
Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 Dreams-Visions
[QUOTE="Jandurin"][QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"][QUOTE="Jandurin"] Which is it?

Why would that surprise me. I think MS is doing the best with games this gen too :o

yes, but this was in 2005! before any console launched.
CleanPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#125 CleanPlayer
Member since 2008 • 9822 Posts
Sony is like that kid on the playground who everyone uses because he's rich. It's kind of funny Sony unintentionally helped Microsoft.
Blackbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 Blackbond

Afro_Samurai1

I, read your your thread twice and your first post I find it messup that Sony helped microsoft but that is my 2 cents on the matter.

Then ignore the news.

MarloStanfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 MarloStanfield
Member since 2008 • 2409 Posts
[QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"] Yea, but I don't know if I'd call it "shady". this was the contract the 3 companies worked out. I'm sure Sony is smart enough to know that their agreement would mean competitors being able to buy parts of the technology from IBM. I just think they never expected in their wildest dreams that this generation could have played out the way it did.

like I said naive I still think it's pretty shady behaviour. They basically circumnavigated the development costs of the cell and still got the use of the technology. It's like tapping a chick after some other guy has spent the past few years buttering her up and paying all her bills
Afro_Samurai1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 Afro_Samurai1
[QUOTE="Afro_Samurai1"][QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"] No. "I like to post on topic" should be your catch phrase. Just know that I asked. More than once.Blackbond

Then ignore the news.

Now why would I do that.

Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 Dreams-Visions
Sony is like that kid on the playground who everyone uses because he's rich. It's kind of funny Sony unintentionally helped Microsoft. CleanPlayer
thanks to the nature of business...when someone gets used, they typically get royalties for being used. I guess the contract between the 3 of them (IBM/Sony/Toshiba) didn't have any of that kind of advantage in it for Sony.
Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 Dreams-Visions
[QUOTE="MarloStanfield"][QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"] Yea, but I don't know if I'd call it "shady". this was the contract the 3 companies worked out. I'm sure Sony is smart enough to know that their agreement would mean competitors being able to buy parts of the technology from IBM. I just think they never expected in their wildest dreams that this generation could have played out the way it did.

like I said naive I still think it's pretty shady behaviour. They basically circumnavigated the development costs of the cell and still got the use of the technology. It's like tapping a chick after some other guy has spent the past few years buttering her up and paying all her bills

Yea....but I don't know if Microsoft deliberately sat back and watched Sony design Cell...then jumped in late in the game and bought rights to part of the tech. I wouldn't assume it was that coordinated. I didn't get that out of the article.
Blackbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 Blackbond
[QUOTE="Blackbond"][QUOTE="Afro_Samurai1"]

Afro_Samurai1

Then ignore the news.

Now why would I do that.

Because you said in I quote, "I shall not tolerate such rubbish."

You must be like me with that split personality thing.

masiisam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 masiisam
Member since 2003 • 5723 Posts

[QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"] Yea, but I don't know if I'd call it "shady". this was the contract the 3 companies worked out. I'm sure Sony is smart enough to know that their agreement would mean competitors being able to buy parts of the technology from IBM. I just think they never expected in their wildest dreams that this generation could have played out the way it did.MarloStanfield

"Shady" on whose behalf? MS or IBM?

The_Game21x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#133 The_Game21x
Member since 2005 • 26440 Posts

Afro_Samurai1

You know, for someone who said "good day" a few posts back, you seem to be posting an awful lot.

If you don't like what was said in this thread, you don't have to, but don't attack the bearer of bad news simply because you don't like to hear it.

MarloStanfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 MarloStanfield
Member since 2008 • 2409 Posts
[QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"] Yea....but I don't know if Microsoft deliberately sat back and watched Sony design Cell...then jumped in late in the game and bought rights to part of the tech. I wouldn't assume it was that coordinated. I didn't get that out of the article.

maybe i'm reading too much into it but MS has a history of pulling shady manouvers . Remeber the whole antitrust thing?
ArrancarVizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 ArrancarVizard
Member since 2007 • 464 Posts

LOL, so Sony helped make the Xbox 360, EPIC

Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 Dreams-Visions
[QUOTE="MarloStanfield"][QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"] Yea....but I don't know if Microsoft deliberately sat back and watched Sony design Cell...then jumped in late in the game and bought rights to part of the tech. I wouldn't assume it was that coordinated. I didn't get that out of the article.

maybe i'm reading too much into it but MS has a history of pulling shady manouvers . Remeber the whole antitrust thing?

point well taken.
NSR34GTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 NSR34GTR
Member since 2007 • 13179 Posts
wow not good for sony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
yes, but this was in 2005! before any console launched.Dreams-Visions
ohhhh. Now that's saying something.
dr_jashugan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#139 dr_jashugan
Member since 2006 • 2665 Posts
Interesting. I'm probably getting that book. 8)
Junsei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 Junsei
Member since 2004 • 723 Posts
[QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"][QUOTE="MarloStanfield"][QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"] Yea....but I don't know if Microsoft deliberately sat back and watched Sony design Cell...then jumped in late in the game and bought rights to part of the tech. I wouldn't assume it was that coordinated. I didn't get that out of the article.

point well taken.

Every company has done or will be doing their share of shady business thats just how it goes even Nintendo did it. Anyone remember the SNES Expandsion ??? if you really think about Nintendo help create the Playstation by doing sony dirty.
DennisHopperz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 DennisHopperz
Member since 2008 • 304 Posts
lol Sony
HAZE-Unit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 HAZE-Unit
Member since 2007 • 10564 Posts

How did Sony fall for this? Im gonna call the authorities for this one, where is Jack thompson?

Seriously, I just want to know what is the real reason behind all these articles? media sabotage FTL, I mean NPD bad numbers were released over 15 days ago, the media is blowing this news out of proportion.

Three things :

1- The media is becoming aware of the PS3 fans and they know how to tick them off to gain traffic which is pathetic and getting old.

2- it was/is the end of the year and there are no big news to report so they relate to point number 1 which is very sad.

3- Just don't believe everything you read in the news, 80% is not true and if it is true they describe it the worst possible way just to stay on top of teh competition, thats all.

Anybody who takes it seriously and believes 100% should go outside and breath a little bit.

SpinoRaptor24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 143

#143 SpinoRaptor24
Member since 2008 • 10316 Posts

It's just bad news after bad news for Sony isn't it?

PS3_3DO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 PS3_3DO
Member since 2006 • 10976 Posts

Sony has been on top for so long this happens to companies that been number one for a long time.

Avatar image for CheckingAvailab
CheckingAvailab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 CheckingAvailab
Member since 2008 • 393 Posts
lol, sony really got owned on this one
Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#146 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts
[QUOTE="HAZE-Unit"]

How did Sony fall for this? Im gonna call the authorities for this one, where is Jack thompson?

Seriously, I just want to know what is the real reason behind all these articles? media sabotage FTL, I mean NPD bad numbers were released over 15 days ago, the media is blowing this news out of proportion.

Three things :

1- The media is becoming aware of the PS3 fans and they know how to tick them off to gain traffic which is pathetic and getting old.

2- it was/is the end of the year and there are no big news to report so they relate to point number 1 which is very sad.

3- Just don't believe everything you read in the news, 80% is not true and if it is true they describe it the worst possible way just to stay on top of teh competition, thats all.

Anybody who takes it seriously and believes 100% should go outside and breath a little bit.

You think CNN, Wallstreet journal, etc are biased against the PS3 and Sony? :? The bad PS3 numbers, and electronics in general, are big news and people want to know why. I think thats probably much more of a reason than the media having a vendetta vs the PS3.
Cole-Protocal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 Cole-Protocal
Member since 2008 • 681 Posts

lol cows cant catch a break

a little payback from the PS2 days, just returnign the "love" you gave the lems and sheep.

PumaPride3k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 PumaPride3k
Member since 2005 • 483 Posts

Three things :

HAZE-Unit

Yes, blame the media for all of your problems. Let me guess you are a Sarah Palin fan aswell?

Roushrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 Roushrsh
Member since 2005 • 3351 Posts
It's like a guy driving down his street on the way home stopping to help another guy fix his flat tire, when the guy who got a flat just came from the other guys house after he ****** his wife. bez2083
That pretty much sums it up
Avatar image for CheckingAvailab
CheckingAvailab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 CheckingAvailab
Member since 2008 • 393 Posts
[QUOTE="HAZE-Unit"]

Three things :

blue_hazy_basic

You think CNN, Wallstreet journal, etc are biased against the PS3 and Sony? :? The bad PS3 numbers, and electronics in general, are big news and people want to know why. I think thats probably much more of a reason than the media having a vendetta vs the PS3.

"bu teh media is teh biased against teh PeeEzz3 :cry:"
"sony is doing just fine :cry:"