VOTE: What was the best Third-Person Shooter last gen?

• 82 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Jakandsigz

Poll VOTE: What was the best Third-Person Shooter last gen? (60 votes)

Lost Planet: Extreme Condition 0%
Lost Planet 2 0%
Lost Planet 3 0%
Crackdown 0%
Crackdown 2 0%
Earth Defense Force 2017 0%
Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon 0%
Monster Madness 0%
Gears of War 22%
Gears of war 2 5%
Gears of war 3 10%
Gears of war: Judgement 0%
John Woo's STRANGELHOLD 0%
50 Cent Bulletproof: Blood on the Sand 0%
THE CLUB 0%
DARK VOID 0%
DARK SEcTOR 0%
MERCENARIES 2 2%
FRACTURE 0%
ARMY OF TWO 0%
ARMY OF TWO: 40th day 0%
ARMY OF TWO: DEVILS CARTEL 0%
KANE AND LYNCH 0%
KANE AND LYNCH 2 0%
EAT LEAD: RETURN OF MATT HAZARD 0%
Resident Evil 5 5%
Resident Evil 6 2%
WANTED: Weapons of fate 0%
DAMNATION 0%
Red Faction: Guerilla 2%
Red Faction: Armageddon 0%
Ghost Busters! 0%
G.I. Joe Rise of Cobra 0%
WET 0%
MINDJACK 0%
DEAD TO RIGHTS: Retribution 0%
Quantum Theory 0%
Front Mission Evolved 0%
MOPRHX 0%
Vanquish 23%
Shadows of the damned 3%
Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine 0%
THE GUNSTRINGER 0%
Neverdead 0%
Binary Domain 2%
Resident Evil: Operation Racoon city. 0%
Sniper Elite V2. 0%
Max Payne 3 15%
MLB Alien crisis 0%
INVERSION 0%
Transformers: Fall of Cybertron 0%
Defiance 0%
Star Trek 0%
Fuse 0%
Spec Ops: The Line 0%
Payday 2 2%
Monster Madness: Grave Danger 0%
SOCOM CONFRONTATION 2%
SOCOM 4 2%
TERMINATOR: Salvation 0%
Transformers: War for Cybertron 0%
BLOOD STONE 007 0%
Starhawk 2%
Sniper Elite 0%
Re-mission 0%
Rouge Trooper 0%
Soldier Elite 0%
Infernal 0%
Foreign Legion Buckets of Blood 0%
SHADOW HARVEST: PHANTOM OPS 0%
Syphon Filter Dark Mirror 0%
Syphon Filter Logans Shadow 0%
Deep Black Reloaded 0%
Salvation Prophecy 0%
Counter Force 0%
Transformers: Cybertron Adventures 0%
Brothers in Arms DS 0%
Tranformers: Autobots 0%
Transformers: Decepticons 0%
Insecticide 0%
Quantom of Solace DS 0%
Transformers Dark of Moon 0%
Infected 0%
Bounty Hounds 0%
Chili Con Carnage 2%
Resistance: Retribution 2%

Round 1. Retail only, last gen systems only: Xbox 360, PSP, DS, PC, PS3, Wii. 86*

• 
Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#51 Jakandsigz
Member since 2013 • 6341 Posts

@Pikminmaniac said:

@Jakandsigz said:

@Blabadon said:

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune

You mean that game that's not a TPS and not considered one in almost all databases?

The Uncharted series is quite clearly a TPS. The vast majority of the gameplay in that series is devoted solely to that mechanic. What other genre could it possibly be.

Now listen, I know you have issues and want to believe things your own way but that series is not labeled or registered as or the creators call it a TPS. Spinning facts because of what you see does not change what's on paper for a company with investors, or gaming databases.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#52  Edited By Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

@Jakandsigz said:

@Pikminmaniac said:

@Jakandsigz said:

@Blabadon said:

You mean that game that's not a TPS and not considered one in almost all databases?

The Uncharted series is quite clearly a TPS. The vast majority of the gameplay in that series is devoted solely to that mechanic. What other genre could it possibly be.

Now listen, I know you have issues and want to believe things your own way but that series is not labeled or registered as or the creators call it a TPS. Spinning facts because of what you see does not change what's on paper for a company with investors, or gaming databases.

So if the creators called street fighter and FPS you'd say that it's a fact now? Just because someone labels something one way doesn't make it true. You've got to think for yourself and come to a conclusion based on the evidence you see.

Ribnarak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 Ribnarak
Member since 2008 • 2299 Posts

fail thread. uncharted 2. last of us.

i recall using guns in those games. which is TPS>

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

President Evil 5 Baby !

I do it just for the Co-op !

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Jakandsigz

@Ribnarak said:

fail thread. uncharted 2. last of us.

i recall using guns in those games. which is TPS>

You heard it here folks, Super Smash bros is a TPS because some characters use guns.

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 Jakandsigz

@Pikminmaniac said:

@Jakandsigz said:

@Pikminmaniac said:

@Jakandsigz said:

@Blabadon said:

So if the creators called street fighter and FPS you'd say that it's a fact now? Just because someone labels something one way doesn't make it true. You've got to think for yourself and come to a conclusion based on the evidence you see.

And you are stupid because you don't know how the databases work. Even ESRB has changed some genres based on what's in it. It goes through many stages, even through Sony, so i am pretty sure that it is not a TPS but an action adventure games with an emphasis on shooting to get through many parts outside the other half being qte cutscenes. Are we going to call super smash bros a tps now since I clearly "SEE" fox have a gun and shoot it in third person?

You act like it's one person who says the genre and that's what it's put down as. Clearly don't know how it works.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Pikminmaniac

@Jakandsigz said:

@Pikminmaniac said:

@Jakandsigz said:

@Pikminmaniac said:

@Jakandsigz said:

@Blabadon said:

And you are stupid because you don't know how the databases work. Even ESRB has changed some genres based on what's in it. It goes through many stages, even through Sony, so i am pretty sure that it is not a TPS but an action adventure games with an emphasis on shooting to get through many parts outside the other half being qte cutscenes. Are we going to call super smash bros a tps now since I clearly "SEE" fox have a gun and shoot it in third person?

You act like it's one person who says the genre and that's what it's put down as. Clearly don't know how it works.

When 90% of a game is based around third person shooter mechanics I'm going to call it a a third person shooter. What gives it the right to be an action/adventure? those small portions where the game puts you on rails to climb? Or is it the two puzzles in the entirety of Uncharted 2? I always thought the genre required some sort of exploration element. You know.. Like an actual adventure?

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Cranler
Member since 2005 • 8809 Posts

@Jakandsigz said:

@DaBrainz said:

luls all those games and you left out deadspace.

Dead Space is not a TPS. It's considered a horror game by EA. And other databases. Sometimes Action Adventure horror

Doesnt matter how the devs classify it. You're in 3rd person and spend most of the time shooting.

I also consider RDR and Uncharted 2 as tps as well and it's a toss up between those two for best of gen for me. ME franchise should be high on the list as well.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Cranler
Member since 2005 • 8809 Posts

@Jakandsigz said:

@remiks00 said:

Wow,....so much fail in the first post of this thread. I voted Gears 3, I put the most hours in that game online.

Where in the hell is Uncharted? The Last of Us? They aren't third person shooters you say? Man, you're so" simple"....; stop making polls.

You know, those games that aren't TPS. But since you need medication I can see why your brain can't comprehend.

Half Life 2 has a lot of puzzle and other non shooting sections yet it's still considered an fps.

b4il

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 b4il
Member since 2013 • 115 Posts

vanquish!!!

i hope they make a sequel on next-gen

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#61 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

Max Payne 3 by a significant margin since cover is largely optional in that game.

For non-pure TPS games, Saints Row 2 and 3, Red Faction Guerrilla, RDR would be other good picks but those aren't great for their TPS mechanics.

I find it funny people putting Uncharted since it was the third-person shooting that partially ruined those games for me.

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Jakandsigz
@Pikminmaniac said:

@Jakandsigz said:

@Pikminmaniac said:

@Jakandsigz said:

@Pikminmaniac said:

@Jakandsigz said:

@Blabadon said:

When 90% of a game is based around third person shooter mechanics I'm going to call it a a third person shooter. What gives it the right to be an action/adventure? those small portions where the game puts you on rails to climb? Or is it the two puzzles in the entirety of Uncharted 2? I always thought the genre required some sort of exploration element. You know.. Like an actual adventure?

Most of what you are saying I believe can be easily contributed to your lack of action adventure game experience. Or the guidelines. Which then I would suggest you take a look at some older than this gen computer and consoles titles in that category and do some research. Your tone in your post even implies you are getting action adventure rules and adventure rules mixed up.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Pikminmaniac

@Jakandsigz said:
@Pikminmaniac said:

@Jakandsigz said:

@Pikminmaniac said:

@Jakandsigz said:

@Pikminmaniac said:

@Jakandsigz said:

@Blabadon said:

Most of what you are saying I believe can be easily contributed to your lack of action adventure game experience. Or the guidelines. Which then I would suggest you take a look at some older than this gen computer and consoles titles in that category and do some research. Your tone in your post even implies you are getting action adventure rules and adventure rules mixed up.

So tell me, why does Bioshock infinite get called an FPS and Uncharted and action adventure? Why is Uncharted not defined by its gameplay? By Uncharted's rules shouldn't Bioshock infinite also be considered an action adventure.

When I think action adventure I think of Metroid, Zelda, Darksiders, and the Batman Arkham games

When I think of adventure I think of King's quest and Space quest point and click games.

What do they have in common? Self driven exploration.

Muffin2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#64  Edited By Muffin2020
Member since 2013 • 534 Posts

Where is Tomb raider? I don't think I've ever played a game where I gunned down more people in a single play through.

NoirLamia777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#65  Edited By NoirLamia777
Member since 2012 • 3180 Posts

@Jakandsigz: wait so a tps can't be an action/adventure game? Wtf lol!

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#66 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts

Vanquish??! What the hell! If I want to go to sleep that would be my game of choice.

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Jakandsigz

@Pikminmaniac said:

@Jakandsigz said:
@Pikminmaniac said:

@Jakandsigz said:

@Pikminmaniac said:

@Jakandsigz said:

@Pikminmaniac said:

@Jakandsigz said:

@Blabadon said:

When I think action adventure I think of Metroid, Zelda, Darksiders, and the Batman Arkham games

65% of yoru problem is here. you don't know action adventure games wth actual guns in them. (Plasma cannons excluded.)

Zelda and Darksiders can be called hack n slashes for all you know. Again, Most of what you are saying is almost, not all, contributed to your lack of action adventure game experience. Especially before last gen. That is literally the majority issue, you never played many if any action adventure games with guns, so you can;t tell the difference between that (even with the Qte's taking 60% of the game) and TPS's.

So likes I said only thing I can tell you, is to do some short easy to do digging.

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Jakandsigz

Gears 1, Gears 3, Resident Evil 5, Vaquish, and Max payne 3 are leading so far.

hello505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 hello505
Member since 2013 • 523 Posts

Does no one like Gears 2? :(

Guessing it's because of the decreased movement speed.

Muffin2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Muffin2020
Member since 2013 • 534 Posts

@Jakandsigz said:

But that's because we can't vote for Uncharted or Tomb raider

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#71 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

I'm glad Vanquish is being recognized so heavily.

Though, Shadows of the Damned is the one I think best represented the genre this past gen. Not necessarily because it had the overall best gameplay, but because it was just a wonderful total experience.

CARNAGES41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 CARNAGES41
Member since 2007 • 313 Posts

gears of war easily

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
@Pikminmaniac said:

3D platformer of course!

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Jakandsigz

@muffin2020 said:

@Jakandsigz said:

Those games that aren't TPS. Including Tomb Raider especially.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#75 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

@Jakandsigz said:

@muffin2020 said:

@Jakandsigz said:

Those games that aren't TPS. Including Tomb Raider especially.

Yes they are, and you can tell that you are wrong. You are trying way to hard to defend your stupid idea. If you played any of those games, you would know that the main gameplay mechanic of all those games is the shooting.

cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#76 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

@Ghost120x said:

Vanquish??! What the hell! If I want to go to sleep that would be my game of choice.

I don't get how Vanquish would bore you. It's kinda like Sonic in TPS form - you play through levels multiple times trying to get the best score. The gameplay is also exciting because you're rewarded for being aggressive.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12303 Posts

There are very few pure TPS's these days. I.E. TLOU, Uncharted and Tomb Raider should be on this list.

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#78  Edited By remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

@Jakandsigz said:

@remiks00 said:

Wow,....so much fail in the first post of this thread. I voted Gears 3, I put the most hours in that game online.

Where in the hell is Uncharted? The Last of Us? They aren't third person shooters you say? Man, you're so" simple"....; stop making polls.

You know, those games that aren't TPS. But since you need medication I can see why your brain can't comprehend.

Omfg , you really are an idiot @Jakandsigz. Please do tell us all what they are if they aren't "Third Person" shooter/ Action-Adventure hybrids (which you spend 90% of time shooting). In your infinite wisdom good sir.

dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 dxmcat
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts

Gears 1.

That's what started the whole TPS craze. (I know it wasnt the first TPS, but its the one that did it the best)

XboxDone74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 XboxDone74
Member since 2013 • 2116 Posts

@whiskeystrike said:

^ This

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

@Jakandsigz said:

@Blabadon said:

So you're not gonna do this properly then?

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

>Spend vast majority of game shooting dudes
>isn't a third person shooter

This is about as petty as people trying to pretend sandbox games aren't shooters, when the vast majority of the missions revolve around you shooting things.