Valve's Source 2 Engine to prioritize OpenGL and Linux

• 60 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts

Link.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59024 Posts

Valve announced a while back intentions to add video streaming services to steam. It would probably be wise to launch it alongside the steam machine. A media center feature would be much welcomed.

GotNugz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 GotNugz
Member since 2010 • 681 Posts

Its time for valve to put up or shut up, everything they do takes too long. I'm more interested in UE4, phanta rhei, and luminous engine.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 uninspiredcup

Put up what? Valve always deliver.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Hexagon_777
@GotNugz said:

Its time for valve to put up or shut up, everything they do takes too long. I'm more interested in UE4, phanta rhei, and luminous engine.

Valve just sent out 300 Steam Machines to commoners like you and I, and then did the same thing again for all the developers attending Steam Dev Days. What the actual fack do you mean?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Just hurry up and release it...alongside L4D3

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By uninspiredcup

Valve support Oculus Rift.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Hexagon_777
@SEANMCAD said:

I read a lot of tweets yesterday and this one item in the article is not correct

- Valve reportedly has been showing off their own VR solution that is even superior to Oculus Rift.

They said they do not have plans right now to created their own but that might change

Even if you are right, it makes sense for Valve to do so. Literally every device besides Windows PCs and Xbox consoles use OpenGL, and Microsoft does annoying operating system lock in with DirectX, preventing people from using the latest version without forking over another $100. If Valve does push for OpenGL over DirectX, we're going to see DirectX basically eliminated. In addition, with all the support that Valve has been throwing behind SteamOS and Linux as a whole, why wouldn't the company take this logical step?

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#10 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

This comes as no surprise since their attitude with steam and with SteamOS has been focused on open source.

Sandulf29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Sandulf29
Member since 2010 • 14330 Posts

@Wasdie said:

This comes as no surprise since their attitude with steam and with SteamOS has been focused on open source.

And to add to that Gaben's disappointment in Windows 8. I hope MS shapes up with next windows release

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Hexagon_777
@Sandulf29 said:

@Wasdie said:

And to add to that Gaben's disappointment in Windows 8. I hope MS shapes up with next windows release

Gabe didn't just dislike Windows 8, however. He disliked the direction Microsoft was going witth Windows 8, fearing that future Windows operating systems would be even more of a walled garden.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Hexagon_777
@SEANMCAD said:

@Hexagon_777 said:
@SEANMCAD said:

I read a lot of tweets yesterday and this one item in the article is not correct

- Valve reportedly has been showing off their own VR solution that is even superior to Oculus Rift.

They said they do not have plans right now to created their own but that might change

Even if you are right, it makes sense for Valve to do so. Literally every device besides Windows PCs and Xbox consoles use OpenGL, and Microsoft does annoying operating system lock in with DirectX, preventing people from using the latest version without forking over another $100. If Valve does push for OpenGL over DirectX, we're going to see DirectX basically eliminated. In addition, with all the support that Valve has been throwing behind SteamOS and Linux as a whole, why wouldn't the company take this logical step?

misunderstood me. I am totally on board with OpenGL. I was saying what that article says about the VR is incorrect.They are not making their own VR headset at this time.

Oh, my apologies. It did read kind of odd to me, but I thought the first line was referring to the topic at hand, and third was discussing the second line, a quote. The virtual reality information seems to be correct, though.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By osan0
Member since 2004 • 17826 Posts

good stuff. hopefully the momentum continues.

It would be very gutsy to make HL3 a linux exclsuive but if anything can get people to shift over it would be that. HL2 was the spark for steam irself. before that it was just a tool to update counter strike.

way2funny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#16 way2funny
Member since 2003 • 4570 Posts

@Hexagon_777 said:
@Sandulf29 said:

@Wasdie said:

Gabe didn't just dislike Windows 8, however. He disliked the direction Microsoft was going witth Windows 8, fearing that future Windows operating systems would be even more of a walled garden.

No, its more that Gabe found the Microsoft store to be a threat / competition. Not a walled garden. Windows is the same as its been.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Hexagon_777
@way2funny said:

@Hexagon_777 said:
@Sandulf29 said:

@Wasdie said:

No, its more that Gabe found the Microsoft store to be a threat / competition. Not a walled garden. Windows is the same as its been.

That is exactly why Gabe found it to be a threat.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#18 AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

If everything was running on OpenGl and Linux , oh boy!! But .. qq !!

edidili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 edidili
Member since 2004 • 3449 Posts

@osan0 said:

It would be very gutsy to make HL3 a linux exclsuive

That would piss off HL fanbase. The vast majority of people that played that game are windows users.

Valve would never do it.

way2funny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#21  Edited By way2funny
Member since 2003 • 4570 Posts

Funny thing is at least on windows, people will still have to use aspects of DirectX, like XInput or the window api, because OpenGL gives you paint, but no paint brush(inputs) and no canvas. And don't tell me things like glut, because how do you think gluts canvas is implemented.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Hexagon_777
@edidili said:

@osan0 said:

It would be very gutsy to make HL3 a linux exclsuive

That would piss off HL fanbase. The vast majority of people that played that game are windows users.

Valve would never do it.

But maybe this will happen.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By osan0
Member since 2004 • 17826 Posts

@SEANMCAD: yet they made HL2 steam exclusive. they could have made it like HL1...install from disc as a standalone application. it caused uproar when HL2 launched yet it was the catalyst for the steam we see today.

Gabe Newells comments just mean that valve themselves are not throwing money at 3rd parties to make exclusive games and the fact steam OS is an open platform has nothing to do with whether valve decide to make HL3 a linux exclusive or not. all that means, in this context (because open platform can mean a few things), is that developers are free to make games for it without paying some sort of licence fee (compared to consoles where you do need to pay a licence fee). developers can still choose to make a linux exclusive game.

in fairness i do think its highly unlikely HL3 or future valve games will be linux exclusive. but it would be the most effect way to get people to shift over just like HL2 was the most effective way to get more people to use steam in the first place.

edidili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 edidili

@osan0 said:

@SEANMCAD: yet they made HL2 steam exclusive. they could have made it like HL1...install from disc as a standalone application. it caused uproar when HL2 launched yet it was the catalyst for the steam we see today.

A game requiring you to install some application is not the same as a game that wants you to completely change your operating system.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Hexagon_777
@edidili said:

@osan0 said:

A game requiring you to install some application is not the same as a game that wants you to completely change your operating system.

You can always dual boot, and SteamOS as well as other Linux distributions are all free in every sense of the word. There are plenty of advantages, plus a few disadvantages such as there being no Photoshop yet.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

Valve is really letting microsoft sit on it and spin.

I like it,

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

I like it,

Really? I doubt this changes anything. if it runs well on openGL, it will run well on DX ... they would be foolish not to considering a few of their platforms require it.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Hexagon_777

Valve's VOGL Debugger To Be Completely Open Source

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32  Edited By ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

@MBirdy88 said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

I like it,

Really? I doubt this changes anything. if it runs well on openGL, it will run well on DX ... they would be foolish not to considering a few of their platforms require it.

Maybe not at first, but it's clear where their commitment in all this lies. Open source software, valves the only one in this industry pushing the tech envelope in a meaningful way anymore, ridiculous steam-boxes aside.

Unless MS adapts they will be left behind, which is fine with me. DX has been stagnant for a while now with it's minuscule improvements.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Hexagon_777
@SEANMCAD said:

currently there is only one game I am watching that would depend on windows and that is Star Citizen

The developers of Star Citizen have expressed keen interest in bringing the game to Linux, plus Crytek was hiring people who could port the CryEngine to Linux a few months back. Things are looking good.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Hexagon_777
@MBirdy88 said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

I like it,

Well, there was this...

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Hexagon_777
@osan0 said:

Gabe Newells comments just mean that valve themselves are not throwing money at 3rd parties to make exclusive games and the fact steam OS is an open platform has nothing to do with whether valve decide to make HL3 a linux exclusive or not. all that means, in this context (because open platform can mean a few things), is that developers are free to make games for it without paying some sort of licence fee (compared to consoles where you do need to pay a licence fee). developers can still choose to make a linux exclusive game.

in fairness i do think its highly unlikely HL3 or future valve games will be linux exclusive. but it would be the most effect way to get people to shift over just like HL2 was the most effective way to get more people to use steam in the first place.

What matters is that all future Valve games will likely run via OpenGL instead of DirectX. Linux and Mac OS use OpenGL exclusively, and Windows can run OpenGL just fine too. With Valve putting so much support behind OpenGL, it will be fairly easy to bring future games to Linux if they run on Windows using OpenGL anyway. Publishers and developers would be daft not to go fore those additional 2% of the market, and that percentage is likely to increase, not decrease.

edidili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 edidili

@Hexagon_777 said:

You can always dual boot, and SteamOS as well as other Linux distributions are all free in every sense of the word.

Yeah right. I get pissed off when EA asks me to install origin and that takes me only 10 min of my time. You can tell the average joe to install steam, is pretty easy. Have fun telling him to dual boot.

I have no idea nor do I care what Valve is trying to do here. I like Valve and their games but that doesn't mean I'll follow them blindly. They're just one part of PC gaming, not everything. I don't plan on changing my OS, plenty of reasons why I use what I use one of which is games but not only. I prefer Valve not involving me in this whatever OS war is trying to start, not interested in it.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Hexagon_777
@edidili said:

@Hexagon_777 said:

You can always dual boot, and SteamOS as well as other Linux distributions are all free in every sense of the word.

Yeah right. I get pissed off when EA asks me to install origin and that takes me only 10 min of my time. You can tell the average joe to install steam, is pretty easy. Have fun telling him to dual boot.

I have no idea nor do I care what Valve is trying to do here. I like Valve and their games but that doesn't mean I'll follow them blindly. They're just one part of PC gaming, not everything. I don't plan on changing my OS, plenty of reasons why I use what I use one of which is games but not only. I prefer Valve not involving me in this whatever OS war is trying to start, not interested in it.

That's fine, nobody is forcing you. I am completely for what Valve is doing here for a plethora of reasons and do hope it succeeds. :)

killatwill15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#42 killatwill15
Member since 2013 • 855 Posts

well they will succeed,

microsoft has done nothing but poison every facet of the digital industry,

so for them to be forced out,

I will dance that day

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#43  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

if it weren't because I'm so hooked on Uncharted and Naughty Dogs games in general the Steambox would be my only next-gen console.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Hexagon_777
@SEANMCAD said:

@killatwill15 said:

well they will succeed,

I will dance that day

agreed.

For the longest time I supported Microsoft and that day ended on the Xbox One reveal. I started to see the fabric of problems I hadnt been willing to admit previously.

Are you a console gamer? You must be considering how you opened your eyes once you yourself were affected as a gamer! Here's more crap on Microsoft.

killatwill15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 killatwill15
Member since 2013 • 855 Posts

@Hexagon_777 said:
@SEANMCAD said:

@killatwill15 said:

well they will succeed,

I will dance that day

agreed.

For the longest time I supported Microsoft and that day ended on the Xbox One reveal. I started to see the fabric of problems I hadnt been willing to admit previously.

Are you a console gamer? You must be considering how you opened your eyes once you yourself were affected as a gamer! Here's more crap on Microsoft.

Microsoft have been sinning since the beginning

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 misterpmedia
Member since 2013 • 6209 Posts

Great news for PS4 if they make a console port of it for games that use it in the future. It'll be reaping many performance benefits.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Hexagon_777
@misterpmedia said:

Great news for PS4 if they make a console port of it for games that use it in the future. It'll be reaping many performance benefits.

I was more hoping since the PS4 uses OpenGL, a BSD based operating system, and has hardware similar to that of a PC, we would see more games on Linux thanks to all that. No sign of that yet at all, though.

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 misterpmedia
Member since 2013 • 6209 Posts

@Hexagon_777 said:
@misterpmedia said:

I was more hoping since the PS4 uses OpenGL, a BSD based operating system, and has hardware similar to that of a PC, we would see more games on Linux thanks to all that. No sign of that yet at all, though.

You mean Sony games specifically or games in general?

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Hexagon_777
@misterpmedia said:

@Hexagon_777 said:
@misterpmedia said:

You mean Sony games specifically or games in general?

Any games on the PS4, excluding exclusives.