Valve's Source 2 Engine to prioritize OpenGL and Linux

• 60 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

osirisx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#51 osirisx3
Member since 2012 • 2113 Posts

any step away from windows gamers win. It means cheaper gaming pcs and more cross platform games.

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#52 misterpmedia
Member since 2013 • 6209 Posts

@Hexagon_777 said:
@misterpmedia said:

@Hexagon_777 said:
@misterpmedia said:

Great news for PS4 if they make a console port of it for games that use it in the future. It'll be reaping many performance benefits.

I was more hoping since the PS4 uses OpenGL, a BSD based operating system, and has hardware similar to that of a PC, we would see more games on Linux thanks to all that. No sign of that yet at all, though.

You mean Sony games specifically or games in general?

Any games on the PS4, excluding exclusives.

Could happen but I think they plan to do it through streaming rather than local. It technically still keeps hard disc versions exclusive to the hardware.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@MBirdy88 said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

Valve is really letting microsoft sit on it and spin.

I like it,

Really? I doubt this changes anything. if it runs well on openGL, it will run well on DX ... they would be foolish not to considering a few of their platforms require it.

Maybe not at first, but it's clear where their commitment in all this lies. Open source software, valves the only one in this industry pushing the tech envelope in a meaningful way anymore, ridiculous steam-boxes aside.

Unless MS adapts they will be left behind, which is fine with me. DX has been stagnant for a while now with it's minuscule improvements.

Commitment is where the sales is. the sales will STILL be dominant by windows. and Xbox 1 requires it, and PS4 can use it.

Honestly, again, the hate for DX 11 due to performance is a joke, some things are more important.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts
@MBirdy88 said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@MBirdy88 said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

Valve is really letting microsoft sit on it and spin.

I like it,

Really? I doubt this changes anything. if it runs well on openGL, it will run well on DX ... they would be foolish not to considering a few of their platforms require it.

Maybe not at first, but it's clear where their commitment in all this lies. Open source software, valves the only one in this industry pushing the tech envelope in a meaningful way anymore, ridiculous steam-boxes aside.

Unless MS adapts they will be left behind, which is fine with me. DX has been stagnant for a while now with it's minuscule improvements.

Commitment is where the sales is. the sales will STILL be dominant by windows. and Xbox 1 requires it, and PS4 can use it.

Honestly, again, the hate for DX 11 due to performance is a joke, some things are more important.

I thought the PS4 uses OpenGL just like the PS3 does?

Jacobistheman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Jacobistheman
Member since 2007 • 3975 Posts

@Hexagon_777 said:
@SEANMCAD said:

I read a lot of tweets yesterday and this one item in the article is not correct

- Valve reportedly has been showing off their own VR solution that is even superior to Oculus Rift.

They said they do not have plans right now to created their own but that might change

Even if you are right, it makes sense for Valve to do so. Literally every device besides Windows PCs and Xbox consoles use OpenGL, and Microsoft does annoying operating system lock in with DirectX, preventing people from using the latest version without forking over another $100. If Valve does push for OpenGL over DirectX, we're going to see DirectX basically eliminated. In addition, with all the support that Valve has been throwing behind SteamOS and Linux as a whole, why wouldn't the company take this logical step?

People have been claiming that OpenGL will kill off DirectX for years and years. It won't happen for a very long time if ever.

Developers get a lot more support developing DirectX from Microsoft than they do developing OpenGL--well really from anyone because no one makes money directly off of OpenGL. Its not like steam is going to run out and start subsidizing game development for there competitors. Google and Apple might in a small way for mobile games but that it really it. This also very much includes Intel, AMD and Nvidia. The development process of video cards is really geared towards DirectX with OpenGL taking a back seat.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts
@Jacobistheman said:

@Hexagon_777 said:
@SEANMCAD said:

I read a lot of tweets yesterday and this one item in the article is not correct

- Valve reportedly has been showing off their own VR solution that is even superior to Oculus Rift.

They said they do not have plans right now to created their own but that might change

Even if you are right, it makes sense for Valve to do so. Literally every device besides Windows PCs and Xbox consoles use OpenGL, and Microsoft does annoying operating system lock in with DirectX, preventing people from using the latest version without forking over another $100. If Valve does push for OpenGL over DirectX, we're going to see DirectX basically eliminated. In addition, with all the support that Valve has been throwing behind SteamOS and Linux as a whole, why wouldn't the company take this logical step?

People have been claiming that OpenGL will kill off DirectX for years and years. It won't happen for a very long time if ever.

Developers get a lot more support developing DirectX from Microsoft than they do developing OpenGL--well really from anyone because no one makes money directly off of OpenGL. Its not like steam is going to run out and start subsidizing game development for there competitors. Google and Apple might in a small way for mobile games but that it really it. This also very much includes Intel, AMD and Nvidia. The development process of video cards is really geared towards DirectX with OpenGL taking a back seat.

I suppose the more accurate view of the situation is not that OpenGL has failed to kill DirectX, but DirectX has failed to kill OpenGL (which was around before and will most likely be around after).

Valve is about to change that. In addition, do you have a source for that claim regarding nobody making money off of OpenGL directly? Who knows, Valve is doing all sorts of things right now. In addition, only Windows operating systems and Xbox consoles make use of DirectX. Literally everything else uses OpenGL. If anything, they are equal citizens. There is a reason why OpenGL and OpenGL ES are the industry standards for 3D graphics, and not DirectX.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6
deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#60 deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6
Member since 2013 • 2638 Posts

@Hexagon_777: PS4 doesn’t use OpenGL.

It uses something else.

Or am I mistaken ?

edidili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By edidili
Member since 2004 • 3449 Posts

@SEANMCAD said:

On one side you have a group of very talented developers some of which are thinking about leaving and some managers of which already have left because of the lack of leadership and vision at Microsoft in the consumer market place.

On the other side you have the entire globe of developers.

As an example borrowing from what Gabe Newel says 'one company simply can not compete with its users when the framework is open'.

So two dynamics, one is the sheer amount of developers in the open source world and two top talents arent all that intrested in working for Microsoft anymore.

In theory it sounds amazing yet it more often than not fails in practice. That has always been the problem of open source.

It's true that everyone can work on it but that means that working on it is nobody's job. Rarely does it happen that someone will work on it like it's his job not just hobby, work for several hours a day, every day for years because he doesn't get paid.

Another big problem is because everyone can mess with it the software often ends up a mess because there is no clear vision, no strict roadmap to follow, no hierarchy and that's been for years the problem with openGL and the reason why DX overtook it on windows. DX was much more straightforward and focused for developers.

Why did Linux took the market on smartphones (android) but it didn't on desktops even though it has been around for much longer? Because Google took it, put paid developers on it and told them exactly what to do, what features should they focus on and what the roadmap should be. They solved the problem of development focus open source usually has.