Until a DEVELOPER counters Insomniac's TECHNICAL claims, their word is law!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

dirktu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 0

#201 dirktu
Member since 2005 • 717 Posts
[QUOTE="dirktu"]

Graphics, graphics, graphics... will it never end? I own none of the Next-Gen consoles, and I won't be buying any of those untill some games come out that I find superb (playing games is a personal taste thing).

I just wanted to react, because the TC states that only "DEVELOPERS" may counter Insomniac technical claims... well, I thought that was kinda weird to post on a gamespot system wars forum.

As personal opinions or reasoning don't really matter here, I'll post a nice link. If you would be truly interested in a graphical comparison between the 360 and PS3 I would recommend you to read the following:

http://ac-revolution.gametrailers.com/gamepad/index.php?action=viewblog&id=72463

These are real technical claims, and although it may not be from a developer, this particular blog entry rocks.

Have fun reading ;)

klactose

Yeah, that article is interesting, and it also says the same thing that Hastings says about the GPUs and CPUs. Thanks for the link though.

EDIT: Oh, and to clarify again why my criteria is "until a DEVELOPER disproves him" is just because everyone knows who the game companies are, so it's easier to admit that they actually know about making games. While no one has a clue who, for instance, the guy is who wrote the article you linked too. And just like with that Michael "Optimus" Perry article, if you don't know who the person/company is giving the analysis it's easier to disparage (even if they may be telling to truth).

First of all: your welcome. Secondly, however, if you really read the blog you'll see that it does counter Insomniac!

Like the poster above me indicated (at time of writing),the 360 has no 'slight' GPU advantage over the PS3.

Let me summarize Insomniac:

1) GPU of 360 and PS3 are comparable, although the 360 has a slight edge

2) CPU of PS3 is way more powerfull

Conclusion: from 1) and 2) it follows that PS3>360

However, this is not true as indicated in my link. Insomniac uses damage control in its 1st argument.

This is how it should be (source of the quotes: the link I posted):

1) "The 360's amazing shader performance & efficiency along side its eDRAM frame buffer, gives it a large advantage in graphical performance. It has the upper hand in shading & HDR lighting as well as no texturing bottlenecks (or virtually none for that matter), giving it a naturally better texturing ability."

2) "PS3 whilst the RSX is much weaker than the 360, it has Cell which can compensate for many of its shortcomings such as a frame buffer & limited shader functionality. Cell has a greater potential for physics thanks to its amazing computing power."

Conclusion:  "However All this doesn't mean 360 = graphics PS3 = physics. Games vary and will rarely take full advantage of everything a system can do. A game like Alan Wake on 360 will have better physics than most or all PS3 games this year. MGS4 may have better graphics than most 360 games this year, there are varying titles taking advantage of the systems in different ways so they'll be on par."

Wow, I really seem to be promoting this guy's blog... 

mikasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#202 mikasa
Member since 2003 • 4060 Posts
Also to play your little game: Until Sony can explain why using more memory for the OS and having it split in 2 chunks is better for devs and games then 360 is clearly the better console: http://ozymandias.com/archive/2007/03/22/More-Context-on-Memory-Reservation-Issues-on-PS3.aspx Remember I said sony has to clearly refute this article or MS wins.
klactose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#203 klactose
Member since 2003 • 1167 Posts
[QUOTE="acekall"]Why is gears a better game then when its obviously smaller. Dont gimme that streaming texture bullcrap, thats one of the metods to keep the size of the game down . ... See Oblivion on the 360 and Gears on X360 without HDD and still the best graphics for now. ... The cell hype, we still have to see how much 'superiour The Cell is. Its another overhyped product by sony just like the emotion engine. Cell wasnt designed for gaming, X360 powerPC triple-core is.

Well to answer your first question. Perhaps Gears the reason Gears looks better is a combination of the "streaming texture bullcrap" AND the fact that the 360 has a better GPU. Those would be my guesses. Concerning the HDD issue, all the guy is saying is that Devs are going to design for the lowest common denominator. So they are going to intentionally design without the NEED for HDD. The cell may be overhyped, and yes devs have said it's harder to develop for then the Xenon, but no dev has come out to claim that the Xenon is more powerful then the Cell, so as of now I think Hastings has at least a leg to stand on.
Avatar image for Danthegamingman
Danthegamingman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#204 Danthegamingman
Member since 2003 • 19978 Posts
[QUOTE="klactose"][QUOTE="acekall"]Why is gears a better game then when its obviously smaller. Dont gimme that streaming texture bullcrap, thats one of the metods to keep the size of the game down . ... See Oblivion on the 360 and Gears on X360 without HDD and still the best graphics for now. ... The cell hype, we still have to see how much 'superiour The Cell is. Its another overhyped product by sony just like the emotion engine. Cell wasnt designed for gaming, X360 powerPC triple-core is.

Well to answer your first question. Perhaps Gears the reason Gears looks better is a combination of the "streaming texture bullcrap" AND the fact that the 360 has a better GPU. Those would be my guesses. Concerning the HDD issue, all the guy is saying is that Devs are going to design for the lowest common denominator. So they are going to intentionally design without the NEED for HDD. The cell may be overhyped, and yes devs have said it's harder to develop for then the Xenon, but no dev has come out to claim that the Xenon is more powerful then the Cell, so as of now I think Hastings has at least a leg to stand on.

Stop bumping this junk thread.
Nedemis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#205 Nedemis
Member since 2002 • 10715 Posts
and who writes his paychecks? :lol: When a developer is solely developing for ONE company, their word is hardly unbiased.
klactose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#206 klactose
[QUOTE="klactose"]Yeah, that article is interesting, and it also says the same thing that Hastings says about the GPUs and CPUs. Thanks for the link though.

EDIT: Oh, and to clarify again why my criteria is "until a DEVELOPER disproves him" is just because everyone knows who the game companies are, so it's easier to admit that they actually know about making games. While no one has a clue who, for instance, the guy is who wrote the article you linked too. And just like with that Michael "Optimus" Perry article, if you don't know who the person/company is giving the analysis it's easier to disparage (even if they may be telling to truth).

dirktu

First of all: your welcome. Secondly, however, if you really read the blog you'll see that it does counter Insomniac!

Like the poster above me indicated (at time of writing),the 360 has no 'slight' GPU advantage over the PS3.

Let me summarize Insomniac:

1) GPU of 360 and PS3 are comparable, although the 360 has a slight edge

2) CPU of PS3 is way more powerfull

Conclusion: from 1) and 2) it follows that PS3>360

However, this is not true as indicated in my link. Insomniac uses damage control in its 1st argument.

This is how it should be (source of the quotes: the link I posted):

1) "The 360's amazing shader performance & efficiency along side its eDRAM frame buffer, gives it a large advantage in graphical performance. It has the upper hand in shading & HDR lighting as well as no texturing bottlenecks (or virtually none for that matter), giving it a naturally better texturing ability."

2) "PS3 whilst the RSX is much weaker than the 360, it has Cell which can compensate for many of its shortcomings such as a frame buffer & limited shader functionality. Cell has a greater potential for physics thanks to its amazing computing power."

Conclusion:  "However All this doesn't mean 360 = graphics PS3 = physics. Games vary and will rarely take full advantage of everything a system can do. A game like Alan Wake on 360 will have better physics than most or all PS3 games this year. MGS4 may have better graphics than most 360 games this year, there are varying titles taking advantage of the systems in different ways so they'll be on par."

Wow, I really seem to be promoting this guy's blog... 

OK, "saying the same thing" was an oversimplification, but let's explore it and I will explain why I simplified it and moved on. BTW this is another reason I said "Devs", because there is a bunch of this exact type of commentary on the web (i could point you to several similar blogs/forum but I believe they are a waste - at least for the laymen). Ok let's dive in.

Due to the poor summations found within the article it isn't all too clear "exactly" what he means. The guy does say what you have quoted but also at the conclusion of the "Graphics & Graphical Performance" section he says the following.

When it comes to producing amazing graphics, I would expect the two systems to be virtually on par, 360 will have big advantages in this area though.

Remember, its not just how powerful the system is, its how you take advantage of the system to produce amazing graphics. Games on 360/PS3 will rival each other in graphics for the entire life cycle.AC

In my opinion he is contradicting himself directly within the same sentence "expect the two systems to be virtually on par, 360 will have big advantage"... that is a incoherent statement. He then follows it with the statement saying that the graphics will rival each other for the entire life cycle. Then at the end of the "Processing & Performance" section he says

By my calculations from technical data derived from benchmarks and performance efficiency from IBM, each Cell core allegedly has the performance of a Pentium IV 3.8GHz CPU. In addition, as I've mentioned before, the Cell processor has architecture suitable for graphics functions.

With such processing power, Cell has greater potential for physics than Xenon in the future.AC

At the end of the day he doesn't DISCOUNT what Hastings presents (he didn't say that the PS3 GPU is more powerful than the 360's or that the 360s CPU is more powerful than the PS3s), although he did attempt to elaborate on the differences. And while he did mention several times that the 360's GPU was much better than the RSX he also said that they were "on Par" with each other (he may have been on acid I'm not sure, but he couldn't seem to make up his mind :lol: ). Furthermore, he's not a developer (or at least he doesn't claim to be), so he doesn't stand up to the challenge presented even if he had discounted anything. But as I mentioned it WAS an interesting read.

snyper1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207 snyper1982
Member since 2004 • 3407 Posts

Ok, by now everyone is aware of the "10 Reasons Sony Wins" article the Chief Creative Officer at Insomniac, Brian Hastings, wrote. Well this post ISN'T about his forecast for the future, half of his article is speculative and he isn't a fortune teller (I'll ask Cleo if I want to know the future).

What he is, however, is a Game developer with intimate knowledge of software and hardware. So the specific items he touched on regarding the technical attributes shall be considered true by me until another developer claims differently. I don't want to see any crappy posts in here from "anonymous devs". If they have something to say the should be willing to speak openly. I respect Brian for having the guts to put his professional opinion on the line. With that said, let's get busy and explore the technical issues he discussed.

1: Gears is the best looking game to date, including RFOM.[QUOTE="Brian Hastings"]Gears of War is a beautiful game and shows off the highest resolution textures of anything yet released, partly because of the Unreal Engine's ability to stream textures. This means that you can have much higher resolution textures than you could normally fit in your 512 MB of RAM.

Sometimes people ask us, "If Resistance takes 14 gigabytes, why doesn't it look better than Gears?" Well, for one, Resistance didn't support texture streaming, so we had to make choices about where we spent our high-res textures.klactose

2: 50GB of data WILL make games better.

As games get bigger, more advanced and more complex, they necessarily take up more space. If developers were filling up DVDs last generation, there are clearly going to be some sacrifices made to fit current generation games in the same amount of space.

There's no question that you can always cut more levels, compress the audio more, compress the textures more, down-res the mpeg movies, and eventually get any game to fit on a DVD. But you paid for a high-def experience, right? You want the highest resolution, best audio, most cinematic experience a developer can offer, right? That's why Blu-Ray is important for games, and why it will become more important each year of this hardware cycle.Brian Hastings

3: The Hard Drive MATTERS.

The problem with including a hard drive in one version of the 360 and not in the other is that developers can't use it for the games. Or, at least, they can't use it for any required features. When you are guaranteed to have at least a 20 GB hard drive in the console, you can write your load caching routines around it, or use it for your application's storage needs. To a developer, an optional hard drive is roughly equivalent to no hard drive at all.Brian Hastings

4: 360's GPU has slight edge over PS3's.

The GPUs on the Xbox 360 and PS3 are roughly equivalent, with the Xbox 360 arguably having a slight edge.Brian Hastings

5: PS3 has major CPU advantage over 360.

The difference in CPU power, however, is far greater with the PS3 enjoying the advantage. The PS3's eight parallel CPUs (one primary "PPU" and seven Cell processors) give it potentially far more computing power than the three parallel CPUs in the Xbox 360. Just about any tech programmer will tell you that the PS3's CPUs are significantly more powerful.Brian Hastings

So there you have it. Anything that disputes these points that doesn't come from another developer will be ignored, or proclaimed as bunk. However if another dev disputes this then we will finally have a real discussion in the gaming world about the real limitations of both of these consoles.

EDIT:

People PLEASE READ the post BEFORE you respond. Alot of you are making yourselves look silly.:shock: This post is NOT saying that Insomniac's word is law concerning PS3 winning the console war. This post IS saying that the TECHNICAL issues that Mr. Hastings has broached will be considered TRUTH up until the time that another developer counters them. If you do not understand this, please take a reading comprehension course. Thank you.

I would say #2 is along the lines of speculation.
klactose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208 klactose
[QUOTE="mikasa"]Not that I agre their word is law, but I will debunk 2 of his comments. 1) that the 360 GPU only has a slight advantage? It has more than a slight advantage (and yes I'm a dev as well) 2) the Cell is NOT 8 CPUs. To even suggest that it is is a load of crap. And then he tried to clarify it by sayign 1 is a PPU and the other 7 are cell processors. This is just wrong. I'm hoping this was your mistake in paraphrasing the aritcle because if he said this...he's a dev we can just ignore after such a stupid comment.

Great, who do you develop for? Are you willing to go public? If so, please do and state the company you work for, the game titles you've worked on, and the consoles you've worked on. Thanks. 1) As far as the GPU having "more than a slight advantage", it probably does, the point is that it has an advantage, and now I doubt that any will claim that it doesn't. And further if he is understating that advantage I'm sure that some other Devs will openly "correct" his comment, to me this is a win/win situation. Because it will move the debate beyond the simplistic stage that it has remained at for many months, hardware specs should NOT be a mystery. 2) As far as the Cell goes, I think he was trying to simplify the conversation for the laymen. But if it is so far off (eventhough it's pretty close to what I've read everywhere else about the Cell - 1 PPU & 8 Cell processors with 1 disabled), won't someone come along and correct that too? So basically UNTIL a developer/university OPENLY comes out and CORRECTS this information, who are we to believe?
omarguy01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209 omarguy01
Member since 2004 • 8139 Posts
why the insomniac developer and not some other developer?
klactose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210 klactose
[QUOTE="mikasa"]Also to play your little game: Until Sony can explain why using more memory for the OS and having it split in 2 chunks is better for devs and games then 360 is clearly the better console: http://ozymandias.com/archive/2007/03/22/More-Context-on-Memory-Reservation-Issues-on-PS3.aspx Remember I said sony has to clearly refute this article or MS wins.

haha... for one I never said any console was better then the other, I simply said that until a dev discounts Hastings, his word on those specific technical issues addressed is going to hold the most weight. So this analogy you are trying to draw is lost on me. But regarding the PS3's vs 360's OS memory footprint, sounds like MS designed a better OS to me. And while it's not as conclusive as a seperate Dev vouching how much memory is available, I would expect that Sony would refute that information if it wasn't correct. So until they do refute it, what other information do we have to go on? and from who? But this has nothing to do with Hastings as he didn't mention the system's OSes, perhaps he didn't mention them for this very reason! ;)
klactose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211 klactose
[QUOTE="snyper1982"] I would say #2 is along the lines of speculation.

I could see how you might say that. But it would fall under his expertise, being a game developer it would be critical to understand the physical space needed for the games you make and INTEND to make. Besides, we already see evidence that he is correct with multi-disc DVD9 releases. I think he is in error to believe that Blu-Ray is needed (that is a preference), because i see nothing wrong with the multi-disc solution.
klactose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212 klactose
why the insomniac developer and not some other developer?omarguy01
Because he is the ONLY developer to specifically speak on the technical issues I mention in the opening post. When some other's speak up then we'll see where we stand.
BloodTorment1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213 BloodTorment1
Member since 2005 • 2580 Posts
meow
Spartan_024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214 Spartan_024
Member since 2003 • 2601 Posts
How is his word the law? His words are neither true or false unless he either proves it or another devs disprove it. So anyone can state anything and it is reagarded as teh truth without even proving it? And the only way for it to be false is if anyone challenges or dispute it. One individual can always argue that men have larger brain than women, but that doesn't neccessarily make it true if someone did not dispute it
Spartanx23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#215 Spartanx23
Member since 2005 • 1554 Posts

How is this thread still going?  Insomniac has no class, and niether does Sony.  They're just doing what a Sony company does, and that's talk the big talk.  Sony is scared b3yond belief!  Ofcourse everybody is going to come to the aid of a sinking ship.  Sony has been doing nothing but talking, and they've been doing it since E3 1999.  Sony's response to the 360 Elite was instant.

They may have gotten away with that against Sega, but that's the last thing Microsoft will put up with.  The new 360 Elite is further proof of Microsofts dominance.  They made the best machine period!  Why can't people believe this?  It shows up in every single game that comes out.  The 360 has the better hardware.  It always had!

Until a PS3 game can proove otherwise, then Sony is still the biggest joke in gaming.  I love how the 360 Elite can come out an entire 5 months after the PS3, and destroy it with year and a half old hardware.:)

The only console that was future proofed was Microsoft's.  No risk at failing formats.  Just a pure gaming experience, with incredible online, and the best games across all genres! 

klactose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216 klactose
[QUOTE="Spartan_024"]How is his word the law? His words are neither true or false unless he either proves it or another devs disprove it. So anyone can state anything and it is reagarded as teh truth without even proving it? And the only way for it to be false is if anyone challenges or dispute it. One individual can always argue that men have larger brain than women, but that doesn't neccessarily make it true if someone did not dispute it

Hmmm... he is not just some random joe. And as we can surely all agree he does have expertise in the game development field, pretty much making him an expert witness. With that said he "is believed to have special knowledge of his subject beyond that of the average person, sufficient that others may officially (and legally) rely upon his opinion." Furthermore if you read the first post in the thread, you would know that I am stating that his opinions stand as law only UNTIL another expert witness contests his findings. THEN we will actually have a real debate about the abilities of these two consoles (PS3 and 360).
Spartan_024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217 Spartan_024
[QUOTE="klactose"][QUOTE="Spartan_024"]How is his word the law? His words are neither true or false unless he either proves it or another devs disprove it. So anyone can state anything and it is reagarded as teh truth without even proving it? And the only way for it to be false is if anyone challenges or dispute it. One individual can always argue that men have larger brain than women, but that doesn't neccessarily make it true if someone did not dispute it

Hmmm... he is not just some random joe. And as we can surely all agree he does have expertise in the game development field, pretty much making him an expert witness. With that said he "is believed to have special knowledge of his subject beyond that of the average person, sufficient that others may officially (and legally) rely upon his opinion." Furthermore if you read the first post in the thread, you would know that I am stating that his opinions stand as law only UNTIL another expert witness contests his findings. THEN we will actually have a real debate about the abilities of these two consoles (PS3 and 360).

I know that Insomniac is a talented dev.....but you can't eliminate BIAS out of the equation. He works for Sony. Some of his points are right, some are not. But what do mean with the word law? Does it mean it is the ultimate truth or just SW kind of truth?
klactose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218 klactose

They may have gotten away with that against Sega, but that's the last thing Microsoft will put up with.  The new 360 Elite is further proof of Microsofts dominance.  They made the best machine period!  Why can't people believe this?  It shows up in every single game that comes out.  The 360 has the better hardware.  It always had!

Spartanx23
OK, I guess you don't understand that this thread is interested in the technical reasons of what makes whichever console "better". If the specs on the 360 is definitively better, then I'm sure a Dev will come out and debunk the points that Hastings has made concerning the hardware. It's as simple as that if you ask me. For now it's a waiting game, but UNTIL another dev steps up, then who else should we listen to concerning the hardware when Hastings is the ONLY one to speak on it publically?
klactose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219 klactose

[QUOTE="klactose"][QUOTE="Spartan_024"]How is his word the law? His words are neither true or false unless he either proves it or another devs disprove it. So anyone can state anything and it is reagarded as teh truth without even proving it? And the only way for it to be false is if anyone challenges or dispute it. One individual can always argue that men have larger brain than women, but that doesn't neccessarily make it true if someone did not dispute itSpartan_024

I know that Insomniac is a talented dev.....but you can't eliminate BIAS out of the equation. He works for Sony. Some of his points are right, some are not. But what do mean with the word law? Does it mean it is the ultimate truth or just SW kind of truth?

For the record, and I've said this before, but I'm not referring to his "10 reasons" and saying that those are the law. I'm referring to the TECHNICAL aspects that he presented in a FEW of his "10 Reasons". Ok that's out the way, again.

Next, I agree that he most likely is biased. So what? I'm only referring to his "technical expertise" that concerns video games development. These would include an understanding of computer science and some electrical engineering. When dealing with science it's hard to try to pass on Biased answers as facts, because your peers WILL review what you write. And as I've stated about a million times now. IF he is wrong, then HIS PEERS will step up and debunk his claims. But in the absence of that happening, who else are you going to believe when no other dev has spoken publically about the technical issues mentioned in my first post? Should we believe anonymous blogs and forum posts?

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#220 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

To the TC: Your word isn't the law, therefore rendering this entire thread invalid.

Ridiculous proclamations FTW!

klactose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221 klactose

To the TC: Your word isn't the law, therefore rendering this entire thread invalid.

heretrix
Thank you. Nice to know that you can read titles but do not possess the ability to read the actual post that follow. That must have been an interesting skill to develop, and I'm sure it's served you well in your 11K post career. Congratulations!
Spartan_024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222 Spartan_024
What he said about thos issues hardly proves it. It is his opinons and the only proof he cab provide is through games and services realated to the console. So far there are no games that justifies his claims. You can not force people to believe if there's no proof other than opinion. Expetise and credebility alone are not proof. His words are not true nor false. Simple as that. The answer to your question is simple. believe him if he provides proof other than his expert (devs) opinion. Do not believe him if he can not prove it by other means AND if another devs disprove his claims.
klactose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223 klactose
@Spartan_024 Also, there is no ultimate truth that we are certain of. All we have discovered so far is relative truth (I suppose God would be "ultimate truth" if you believe in a higher power), but at any rate, even with relative truth there are an abundance of things that hold up to the test of time. We will see if Mr. Hastings' statements is one of those things.
Spartan_024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224 Spartan_024
[QUOTE="klactose"]@Spartan_024 Also, there is no ultimate truth that we are certain of. All we have discovered so far is relative truth (I suppose God would be "ultimate truth" if you believe in a higher power), but at any rate, even with relative truth there are an abundance of things that hold up to the test of time. We will see if Mr. Hastings' statements is one of those things.

Then you should've stated that his words are the relative truth until another dev disputes and disproves it.
donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#225 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts
 1st of all I'd like to say I havn't read a thread so intellectually dishonest in quite some time. 2nd of all, Todd Howard, project lead on Oblivion, already dismissed the claims that storage is superior to compression solutions. He said drive access speed is far more important. You can find a lot of devs in Sony's pocket making ridiculous statements because they want people to buy the systems so that they can sell them their games. Duh!
klactose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226 klactose
What he said about thos issues hardly proves it. It is his opinons and the only proof he cab provide is through games and services realated to the console. So far there are no games that justifies his claims. You can not force people to believe if there's no proof other than opinion. Expetise and credebility alone are not proof. His words are not true nor false. Simple as that. The answer to your question is simple. believe him if he provides proof other than his expert (devs) opinion. Do not believe him if he can not prove it by other means AND if another devs disprove his claims.Spartan_024
If you only believe something when someone goes out of their way to provide you the physical evidence, then you would not believe that Texas existed without going to see it for yourself. The world moves on the notion that some people can be believed. Do you not believe your doctor when he says that you have high cholesterol? He can show you that he took a blood sample and analyzed it, but would you know that he was telling the truth or not? Is his test proof if you can't understand the results yourself? What about your accountant when he says that he's found you a tax break? Do you ask him to fax you a copy of the Federal Tax law? That is kind of a weak argument you present. As I've mentioned the law in the United States holds "expert testimony" with high regard, I think Federal Law might trump you on this one. Now I'm not saying just believe everything you hear by any stretch of the imagination, but I am saying that we have to give some people a pass until their PEERS have disproven them. I am not his peer, and neither are you, so we are not capable of easily disproving anything he has to say.
FrYGuY101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227 FrYGuY101
Member since 2006 • 352 Posts
[QUOTE="mikasa"]Also to play your little game: Until Sony can explain why using more memory for the OS and having it split in 2 chunks is better for devs and games then 360 is clearly the better console: http://ozymandias.com/archive/2007/03/22/More-Context-on-Memory-Reservation-Issues-on-PS3.aspx Remember I said sony has to clearly refute this article or MS wins.

I can field this one. The benefit comes from having two separate pools of memory... the benefit to that is that you can basically double your memory bandwidth by separating your data's location between the two different pools... say, for instance, vertex data in the XDR and texture data in the GDDR3. Of course, by using XDR bandwidth for the Graphics chip, you're removing bandwidth from the CPU, but odds are you've got plenty for the CPU anyway. It's a quick and simple hack to compensate for the relatively low bandwidth, at least compared to the 256GB/s bandwidth between the eDRAM storage and logic in the 360.
klactose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228 klactose
[QUOTE="Spartan_024"][QUOTE="klactose"]@Spartan_024 Also, there is no ultimate truth that we are certain of. All we have discovered so far is relative truth (I suppose God would be "ultimate truth" if you believe in a higher power), but at any rate, even with relative truth there are an abundance of things that hold up to the test of time. We will see if Mr. Hastings' statements is one of those things.

Then you should've stated that his words are the relative truth until another dev disputes and disproves it.

Is that how you speak? Do you walk around saying that things are blue relatively speaking, or that you weigh 175lbs relatively? No, it is assumed that we are dealing with the Relative universe which follows the laws of physics that most people are aware of. The only time one would really need to distinguish would be if a conversation about Quantum Physics or the like was ongoing. If you ask me what is 1+1, I don't have to say 2 relatively speaking. Eventhough 1+1 might not equal 2 in quantum mathematics.
Spartan_024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229 Spartan_024

[QUOTE="Spartan_024"]What he said about thos issues hardly proves it. It is his opinons and the only proof he cab provide is through games and services realated to the console. So far there are no games that justifies his claims. You can not force people to believe if there's no proof other than opinion. Expetise and credebility alone are not proof. His words are not true nor false. Simple as that. The answer to your question is simple. believe him if he provides proof other than his expert (devs) opinion. Do not believe him if he can not prove it by other means AND if another devs disprove his claims.klactose
If you only believe something when someone goes out of their way to provide you the physical evidence, then you would not believe that Texas existed without going to see it for yourself. The world moves on the notion that some people can be believed. Do you not believe your doctor when he says that you have high cholesterol? He can show you that he took a blood sample and analyzed it, but would you know that he was telling the truth or not? Is his test proof if you can't understand the results yourself? What about your accountant when he says that he's found you a tax break? Do you ask him to fax you a copy of the Federal Tax law? That is kind of a weak argument you present. As I've mentioned the law in the United States holds "expert testimony" with high regard, I think Federal Law might trump you on this one. Now I'm not saying just believe everything you hear by any stretch of the imagination, but I am saying that we have to give some people a pass until their PEERS have disproven them. I am not his peer, and neither are you, so we are not capable of easily disproving anything he has to say.

But this matter requires physical proof. It all depends on the argument. I believe some of his points but you can not force me to believe that his word is law. I don't consider his expert opinions false neither do I consider his word law unless there's hard evidence.

Some people can be believed, you are right about that. But this person is not my doctor, my accountant, or a scientist who deals with other things.

klactose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230 klactose
[QUOTE="FrYGuY101"][QUOTE="mikasa"]Also to play your little game: Until Sony can explain why using more memory for the OS and having it split in 2 chunks is better for devs and games then 360 is clearly the better console: http://ozymandias.com/archive/2007/03/22/More-Context-on-Memory-Reservation-Issues-on-PS3.aspx Remember I said sony has to clearly refute this article or MS wins.

I can field this one. The benefit comes from having two separate pools of memory... the benefit to that is that you can basically double your memory bandwidth by separating your data's location between the two different pools... say, for instance, vertex data in the XDR and texture data in the GDDR3. Of course, by using XDR bandwidth for the Graphics chip, you're removing bandwidth from the CPU, but odds are you've got plenty for the CPU anyway. It's a quick and simple hack to compensate for the relatively low bandwidth, at least compared to the 256GB/s bandwidth between the eDRAM storage and logic in the 360.

Hey Fry... so you're saying that Sony's OS is actually set up better than the 360s? or are you just saying that they do have a work around that would reduce the memory footprint?
klactose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231 klactose
[QUOTE="klactose"][QUOTE="Spartan_024"]What he said about thos issues hardly proves it. It is his opinons and the only proof he cab provide is through games and services realated to the console. So far there are no games that justifies his claims. You can not force people to believe if there's no proof other than opinion. Expetise and credebility alone are not proof. His words are not true nor false. Simple as that. The answer to your question is simple. believe him if he provides proof other than his expert (devs) opinion. Do not believe him if he can not prove it by other means AND if another devs disprove his claims.Spartan_024

But this matter requires physical proof. It all depends on the argument. I believe some of his points but you can not force me to believe that his word is law. I don't consider his expert opinions false neither do I consider his word law unless there's hard evidence.

Maybe we can make this easy. Which points don't you believe?
martin_f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232 martin_f
Member since 2005 • 2605 Posts
"ne of Sony's biggest advantages is that it has strong franchises in every genre. Whereas Microsoft's successful titles are mostly M-rated, and Nintendo's are mostly E-rated, Sony has a big list of hit titles across the spectrum. When a 30-something gamer (like me) goes to buy a game console, it's a lot easier to justify the purchase when there are games he can play with his kids as well as more mature stuff."

m 8 year old brother plays Splinter cell and Rainbow six with my dad... he doesn't like crap like Mario etc.

"he GPUs on the Xbox 360 and PS3 are roughly equivalent, with the Xbox 360 arguably having a slight edge. The difference in CPU power, however, is far greater with the PS3 enjoying the advantage. The PS3's eight parallel CPUs (one primary "PPU" and seven Cell processors) give it potentially far more computing power than the three parallel CPUs in the Xbox 360. Just about any tech programmer will tell you that the PS3's CPUs are significantly more powerful. The problem is that it has been challenging thus far to take advantage of the Cell's parallel architecture."
I tohught it was well known that the 360's Gpu and Cpu were better? Even if only marginly...

"ranted, some really great Xbox 360 games have squeezed onto a DVD9. Gears of War is a beautiful game and shows off the highest resolution textures of anything yet released, partly because of the Unreal Engine's ability to stream textures. This means that you can have much higher resolution textures than you could normally fit in your 512 MB of RAM. It also means that you're going to chew up more disc space for each level. With streamed textures, streamed geometry and streamed audio, even with compression, you can quickly approach 1 GB of data per level. That inherently limits you to a maximum of about 7 levels, and that's without multiplayer levels or mpeg cutscenes."

But currently games can easily fit onto DVD9s so whats the problem? I bet if you asked 'Epic Games' about this they would say it fitted fine...

"4. Casino Royale"

Wow this guy is an idiot, Casino Royale was an alright film. By far the worst Bond film though all its purpose is is to introduce Daniel Craig as the new Bond why do you think they went back into his past?

about the price of Sony's console, I almost never see anyone mention the significance of Sony's free online service. Xbox Live Gold costs $70 to sign up for 1 year, or $20 for three months [It's actually now $49.99 for a one-year subscription - Ed.]. You can renew your membership for $50 a year. So if the Xbox 360 stays around for five years, you'll be paying 70 + 50 + 50 + 50 + 50 = $270 to access features that Sony gives you for free. "

PSn will collapse, they aren't making money on it so why bother running it?  After all all these companies are there to make money. Where did he get $70 from anyway? ISnt it weird how 360 users have the option to use Live for free on silver but they choose to use Gold instead?

klactose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233 klactose
 1st of all I'd like to say I havn't read a thread so intellectually dishonest in quite some time. 2nd of all, Todd Howard, project lead on Oblivion, already dismissed the claims that storage is superior to compression solutions. He said drive access speed is far more important. You can find a lot of devs in Sony's pocket making ridiculous statements because they want people to buy the systems so that they can sell them their games. Duh! donalbane
Hahaha... wow, why is my thread intellectually dishonest? Please elaborate on THAT, this I have to hear! Next, how does saying that "drive access speed is far more important" equate to we will never need more than 9GB? And if we could infinitely compress why aren't we still using CDs?
FrYGuY101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234 FrYGuY101

2) As far as the Cell goes, I think he was trying to simplify the conversation for the laymen. But if it is so far off (eventhough it's pretty close to what I've read everywhere else about the Cell - 1 PPU & 8 Cell processors with 1 disabled), won't someone come along and correct that too? So basically UNTIL a developer/university OPENLY comes out and CORRECTS this information, who are we to believe?klactose
Well, the problem is that the SPUs aren't normal processors. The PPU (Which is almost identical to the three cores of the Xenon) is a normal processor. To use the correct term, it's a superscalar processor. It's designed to take a thread, and complete it as fast as possible. The SPUs, on the other hand, are vector processors. They're designed to take large sets of data, perform limited calculations on them, and pass the data on. Are they processors? Absolutely, but they're very simplified, and only excell at certain tasks. There's a reason that, on the die, an SPU is half the size of the PPU (image). The trade off is that it's faster at certain types of problems, but because it's simplified and designed for those types of problems, other types are horrendously slow on them. Branch heavy code will run like molasses. Code which doesn't have much data "width" will be leaving most of the registers idle, losing a lot of the theoretical performance.

So is it correct to say it has 8 processors? Absolutely... it's just misleading. Especially since one PPU is reserved for the OS, and one must be ceded to the OS at any given time, but those are software concerns. The fact that is has 8 physical, working processors doesn't change. More accurately, I'd say it has one superscalar processor and 7 vector processors (Not to be confused with vector units).

Edit: I should point out that he DID clarify it to say that the design was asymmetric, and that 7 of them were PPUs, so it was eventually perfectly descriptive. Simply initially misleading.

Spartan_024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#235 Spartan_024
[QUOTE="Spartan_024"][QUOTE="klactose"][QUOTE="Spartan_024"]What he said about thos issues hardly proves it. It is his opinons and the only proof he cab provide is through games and services realated to the console. So far there are no games that justifies his claims. You can not force people to believe if there's no proof other than opinion. Expetise and credebility alone are not proof. His words are not true nor false. Simple as that. The answer to your question is simple. believe him if he provides proof other than his expert (devs) opinion. Do not believe him if he can not prove it by other means AND if another devs disprove his claims.klactose

Maybe we can make this easy. Which points don't you believe?

The hardrive issue. My 360 HD is already full and I want more space. I believe that an HD should be included in all versions of a console so no gamers will be alienated. I should also be bigger.
Berem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236 Berem
Member since 2003 • 947 Posts
Yeah he is probably right, but for the 90% of us who don't own an HDTV all this technical garbage is just that. You dont need super high res textures to have fun playing a game.. and that what it boils down to, are you having fun or not? Im all for using 50gb of space for a game.. but if its a game as big as the world and as long as the worlds history itself, but its boring as *&% then who cares?
klactose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237 klactose
@martin_f The majority of your comments do not fit within the scope of this thread. But in regards to the diskspace issue, I have no clue what the guys at epic would say about "approaching 1 GB of data per level" because they haven't mentioned it. But when they do comment on it, I will have another source to point too. As of now, it's still just Hastings.
Spartan_024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#238 Spartan_024
Although I disagree with you TC, you did a great job of sparking a decent debate here at SW. It's been a while since I posted on a decent thread. It's pretty much "teh Wii or 360 or PS3 already won" crap that is being posted here.
klactose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#239 klactose

[QUOTE="klactose"] Maybe we can make this easy. Which points don't you believe?Spartan_024
The hardrive issue. My 360 HD is already full and I want more space. I believe that an HD should be included in all versions of a console so no gamers will be alienated. I should also be bigger.

Wow, he believes the same thing you believe it seems. So you actually AGREE with him. He doesn't mention the relevance of the HDD size but he is basically saying that the 360 should have included the HDD in all of it's SKUs

The problem with including a hard drive in one version of the 360 and not in the other is that developers can't use it for the games. Or, at least, they can't use it for any required features. When you are guaranteed to have at least a 20 GB hard drive in the console, you can write your load caching routines around it, or use it for your application's storage needs. To a developer, an optional hard drive is roughly equivalent to no hard drive at all.Hastings

klactose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#240 klactose
[QUOTE="Spartan_024"]Although I disagree with you TC, you did a great job of sparking a decent debate here at SW. It's been a while since I posted on a decent thread. It's pretty much "teh Wii or 360 or PS3 already won" crap that is being posted here.

Haha.. thanks, glad I could do at least that much! :)
klactose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#241 klactose
Yeah he is probably right, but for the 90% of us who don't own an HDTV all this technical garbage is just that. You dont need super high res textures to have fun playing a game.. and that what it boils down to, are you having fun or not? Im all for using 50gb of space for a game.. but if its a game as big as the world and as long as the worlds history itself, but its boring as *&% then who cares?Berem
Very True... at the end of the day it's the quality of the ganes that count.
FrYGuY101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#242 FrYGuY101
[QUOTE="klactose"][QUOTE="FrYGuY101"][QUOTE="mikasa"]Also to play your little game: Until Sony can explain why using more memory for the OS and having it split in 2 chunks is better for devs and games then 360 is clearly the better console: http://ozymandias.com/archive/2007/03/22/More-Context-on-Memory-Reservation-Issues-on-PS3.aspx Remember I said sony has to clearly refute this article or MS wins.

Hey Fry... so you're saying that Sony's OS is actually set up better than the 360s? or are you just saying that they do have a work around that would reduce the memory footprint?

From what I've heard (I haven't been able to get much direct info on the actual OSes, simply second-hand grumblings about the various shortcomings), the Sony OS reserves much more memory and processor, relative to the 360, in terms of overall footprint. However, the reason they set it up in two chunks on the two different pools is to minimize the impact of the greater footprint. By splitting the footprint, they're keeping the 'load' off of either memory pool, and any hit to one of the pools doesn't affect the other's available bandwidth. I think what it comes down to, really, is that Sony is a hardware company, and software is an afterthought. They design hardware for the specs, and come up with clever ways of making really monster specs. The end result though is something which the software guys have a hard time dealing with, and is designed with some really annoying bottlenecks. Microsoft is a software company, and hardware is only there to run the software. They've got 20 years of dealing with bottlenecks, and spent more time trying to eliminate the most problematic ones, than trying to beef up certain components. And as the important software is the games, they spent a LOT of time trying to minimize the impact of the OS on the hardware. (I'll see if I can find that link to the 360 dev's discussion about their quest to shrink the OS...)
Spartan_024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#243 Spartan_024

[QUOTE="Spartan_024"][QUOTE="klactose"] Maybe we can make this easy. Which points don't you believe?klactose

Wow, he believes the same thing you believe it seems. So you actually AGREE with him. He doesn't talk mention the relevance of the HDD size but he is basically saying that the 360 should have included the HDD in all of it's SKUs
The problem with including a hard drive in one version of the 360 and not in the other is that developers can't use it for the games. Or, at least, they can't use it for any required features. When you are guaranteed to have at least a 20 GB hard drive in the console, you can write your load caching routines around it, or use it for your application's storage needs. To a developer, an optional hard drive is roughly equivalent to no hard drive at all.Hastings

He said that all vesion of the console should have an HD. And I agree with him in that because it does help. It's pretty much saying that a universal HD will help the devs to develop a game with feature that everyone can enjoy. If a game is built with the notion of a universal or built in HD, then the devs will have an easier time and the option to implement game features that requires HD. I agree with him because it pretty much applies to HD space also. And I have experienced this HD issue...so there's evidence for that.

I also believe that Blu-ray is needed for gaming because games are going to get bigger. And what is the proof for this, and why do I agree with him.

remember the GameCube medium? I believe it is only 1.5 Gb and third party devs have to cut some thing off the game and it resulted into games that lack sounds and certain features that the PS2 and Xbox games have.

FrYGuY101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#244 FrYGuY101
Found it http://www.designinteract.com/features_d/xbox/101_xbox.html 4 MB size limit. It's a fairly interesting read, to see what kind of limitations the guys had... (The link is page 2 on an 8 page article, so be sure to read the intro too. I chose page two because the size limit is what stuck in my mind the most.)
klactose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#245 klactose
[QUOTE="FrYGuY101"][QUOTE="klactose"][QUOTE="FrYGuY101"][QUOTE="mikasa"]Also to play your little game: Until Sony can explain why using more memory for the OS and having it split in 2 chunks is better for devs and games then 360 is clearly the better console: http://ozymandias.com/archive/2007/03/22/More-Context-on-Memory-Reservation-Issues-on-PS3.aspx Remember I said sony has to clearly refute this article or MS wins.

From what I've heard (I haven't been able to get much direct info on the actual OSes, simply second-hand grumblings about the various shortcomings), the Sony OS reserves much more memory and processor, relative to the 360, in terms of overall footprint. However, the reason they set it up in two chunks on the two different pools is to minimize the impact of the greater footprint. By splitting the footprint, they're keeping the 'load' off of either memory pool, and any hit to one of the pools doesn't affect the other's available bandwidth. I think what it comes down to, really, is that Sony is a hardware company, and software is an afterthought. They design hardware for the specs, and come up with clever ways of making really monster specs. The end result though is something which the software guys have a hard time dealing with, and is designed with some really annoying bottlenecks. Microsoft is a software company, and hardware is only there to run the software. They've got 20 years of dealing with bottlenecks, and spent more time trying to eliminate the most problematic ones, than trying to beef up certain components. And as the important software is the games, they spent a LOT of time trying to minimize the impact of the OS on the hardware. (I'll see if I can find that link to the 360 dev's discussion about their quest to shrink the OS...)

Yeah I was under the impression that MS would have made the better software as well... after all, that's what they do. But how much those footprints affect the devs is something I definitely would be interested in hearing. It may or may not be a big deal to them. 400MB+ is still a sizable chunk of memory to work with.
FrYGuY101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#246 FrYGuY101
[QUOTE="klactose"][QUOTE="FrYGuY101"][QUOTE="klactose"][QUOTE="FrYGuY101"][QUOTE="mikasa"]Also to play your little game: Until Sony can explain why using more memory for the OS and having it split in 2 chunks is better for devs and games then 360 is clearly the better console: http://ozymandias.com/archive/2007/03/22/More-Context-on-Memory-Reservation-Issues-on-PS3.aspx Remember I said sony has to clearly refute this article or MS wins.

Yeah I was under the impression that MS would have made the better software as well... after all, that's what they do. But how much those footprints affect the devs is something I definitely would be interested in hearing. It may or may not be a big deal to them. 400MB+ is still a sizable chunk of memory to work with.

Yeah, the effect is mostly that ports have a lower ceiling to work with, and that exclusives will have a slightly less memory intensive design that will be barely noticable, rather than some major effect. Mostly, I think the effect is symbolic to developers: Microsoft is going out of their way to make sure you get every ounce of power that they can ensure, whereas Sony is kinda saying it's your problem, deal with it, just like they always have. If they keep it up, they're just going to lose more and more developers to the more friendly developing environment...
heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#247 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts
[QUOTE="heretrix"]

klactose

Thank you. Nice to know that you can read titles but do not possess the ability to read the actual post that follow. That must have been an interesting skill to develop, and I'm sure it's served you well in your 11K post career. Congratulations!

I was only pointing out that you have no authortiy to proclaim anything as law in system wars. Insomniac is entitled to their opinion, but to proclaim it as law is ridiculous. I don't need to be a developer to determine if someone is spinning BS to me. Sure, some of the things he said are true but that's what makes propaganda so compelling.

My question is why is a so called "independent" developer so pissed that Sony has been getting mauled by the press? It just came off as a bit fanboyish too me..

The last thing I need is some developer making comments about other systems that they don't make games for trying to pass them off as non-biased comments. It's dishonest no matter how you look at it.

LosDaddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

#248 LosDaddie
Member since 2006 • 10318 Posts

Seeing how this Insomniac guy probably doesn't have an x360 dev kit, his word is hardly "The Law". If he was a multiplat developer rather than a Sony shill, then his words might have more weight to them. 

But I'll play this game:

50GB BR:

First off, games last-gen rarely filled up more than 1/2 of a DVD9. They definitely were not "filling them up" like he said. Maybe he meant DVD5 and not DVd9?

While I do agree that DVD9 will be maxed out this gen, the PS3's 2x BR drive is too slow to be a true advantage over the x360's 12x DVD drive. IMO, a faster data transfer rate is more important to games than higher storage capacity.

HDD Matters:

Completely agree with the Insomniac guy. It was a mistake by MS.

GPU:

Yup, the Xenos is slightly superior to RSX.

CPU:

More power doesn't equal better games. The problem Sony is having is being able to harness all that power. The x360's CPU was designed with games in mind. Not so for the Cell.

WARRZONE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#249 WARRZONE
Member since 2006 • 1308 Posts
If there's a hard drive, the game uses caching. If there isn't, the game doesn't.magus-21
Not always on the 360. The developers have to develop for the lowest common denominator. Oblivion does not cache on the premium 360's hard drive.
rhaigun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#250 rhaigun
Member since 2005 • 3019 Posts
Two stupid things he said: [QUOTE="klactose"]As games get bigger, more advanced and more complex, they necessarily take up more space. If developers were filling up DVDs last generation, there are clearly going to be some sacrifices made to fit current generation games in the same amount of space. ... There's no question that you can always cut more levels, compress the audio more, compress the textures more, down-res the mpeg movies, and eventually get any game to fit on a DVD. But you paid for a high-def experience, right? You want the highest resolution, best audio, most cinematic experience a developer can offer, right? That's why Blu-Ray is important for games, and why it will become more important each year of this hardware cycle.magus-21
What a moronic assumption. Why should devs have to make games fit on one DVD9?
The problem with including a hard drive in one version of the 360 and not in the other is that developers can't use it for the games. Or, at least, they can't use it for any required features. When you are guaranteed to have at least a 20 GB hard drive in the console, you can write your load caching routines around it, or use it for your application's storage needs. To a developer, an optional hard drive is roughly equivalent to no hard drive at all.klactose
Equally moronic regarding the load caching. If there's a hard drive, the game uses caching. If there isn't, the game doesn't. Simple. Unless a game is OMGSOEFFINGHUGE that EVERY stage must be streamed at a fast pace, but then you're hitting budgetary concerns, not technical concerns, because the sheer amount of $$$ required to put THAT much detail into a game would hit astronomical levels. Why don't you find a quote from someone whose paycheck isn't signed by Sony. Did Bethesda have trouble incorporating the optional hard drive into the 360 version of Oblivion? No, they didn't. The PS3 has a very slight load time advantage, and I emphasize the word *SLIGHT*. Did being on 3 DVDs stop Mistwalker from creating a game that has received rave reviews in Japan and will likely be a million-seller on these shores? No, it didn't. This is just SCE propaganda intended to deceive the lay audience into thinking that these SUPERFICIAL reasons are enough to sway developers and consumers into buying into the PS3.

Very well put. I'm suprised someone gave an intelligible answer.