Unreal engine 4 targeting for consoles, not PC's

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for ChinoJamesKeene
ChinoJamesKeene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#201 ChinoJamesKeene
Member since 2003 • 1201 Posts

Not a big deal since they stuffed up UT3 so baddly and the way TF2 look i barely care how much shiney BS they put on everything.

blizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#202 blizzle
Member since 2005 • 206 Posts
I still don't care about console gaming, sorry epic.
mismajor99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#203 mismajor99
Member since 2003 • 5671 Posts

One thing some of you people are forgetting, EVERY engine is built on a PC, and is designed on a PC, how is it not something that would run on a PC? IMO, the Source and CryEngine 2 are better engines that don't suffer from the many problems UE3 face. As long as PC's can scale, they will ALWAYS outperform the limitations of console hardware.

guezz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#204 guezz
Member since 2006 • 78 Posts

Microsoft's successor for the Xbox 360, Sony's successor for the Playstation 3 - and if Nintendo ships a machine with similar hardware specs, then that also. PCs will follow after that.

So why are people making this into an issue? It's natural seing how they produce games for both consoles and PC. UE3 was after all developed for XBox 360, PS3 and PC, with UE4 following in its foot steps for future systems.

The first two games using UE3 were; Gears of War (timed exclusive for 360) and RoboBlitz (co-release for 360 and PC) -- only one year after 360's release.

Supafly1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#205 Supafly1
Member since 2003 • 4441 Posts
[QUOTE="Supafly1"][QUOTE="rimnet00"][QUOTE="Supafly1"]

[QUOTE="tader-salad"]Now if the Source engine2 goes the way of unreal engine 4, then I will be worried.rimnet00

I think we should be worried right now because if Source 2 really goes the same way as UE 4 then we're pretty much screwed.

There is absolutely zero reason for Valve to do anything like that. They are swiping themselves down with hundred dollar bills. Why on earth would they burn their cash-cow on the PC, which is STEAM/Source/Community.?

Because there's a good chance that they will make a bigger buck out of their game if it's on consoles.

Haha, ya... that makes perfect sense. Burn your bridges in order to gamble the future of your company. That would be smart.

That's like McDonald's CEO going: hey, lets turn into a Chinese Restaurant! Epic is doing average on the PC, which isn't good enough for a company of their size -- which is why they are turning to consoles, where they have clearly had recent success.

It kinda seems that everyone is doing great on consoles and most of them even brag about it how their game sales went beyond their expectations. You don't see that often on the PC.

JakeTD21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#206 JakeTD21
Member since 2007 • 1631 Posts
The source engine is NOT better.
out0v0rder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207 out0v0rder
Member since 2006 • 1994 Posts
This really going to come back around and bite them in the butt. Mark my words.LockeAteid
Somehow I dont think so, console gamers will buy anything as long as it has a commercial.
t3hTwinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#208 t3hTwinky
Member since 2005 • 3701 Posts

So... they're going to do what they've already beendoing?

This might have been big news 5 years ago, but I don't think anybody cares now. After all, did Epic abandon PC gaming, or did PC gaming abandon Epic?

tader-salad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210 tader-salad
Member since 2008 • 842 Posts
The source engine is NOT better.JakeTD21
Blasphemy
Hewkii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211 Hewkii
Member since 2006 • 26339 Posts

most of them even brag about it how their game sales went beyond their expectations.

Supafly1

who?

Chipp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212 Chipp
Member since 2003 • 1897 Posts

Not a big deal since they stuffed up UT3 so baddly and the way TF2 look i barely care how much shiney BS they put on everything.

ChinoJamesKeene

I don't understand, what does tf2 have to do with this?

out0v0rder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213 out0v0rder
Member since 2006 • 1994 Posts
[QUOTE="zipozal"]

[QUOTE="JLF1"][QUOTE="PAF_FAISAL"]PC gamers wont accept rehashes is that why its not meant for the pc?JLF1

Yeah it's not like hermits are hyping yet another Dune 2 clone as GOTY.
And a lot of them are waiting on another episode of Half life 2 rehash number 3.

:lol: Have you ever played a PC game in your life? :lol: :lol: :lol: I bet your on freaking webtv right now :lol:

I've played tons of pc games and there is a lot of rehashes on the platform.

What is the huge innovation between CoC generals and CoC 3?
Was there any difference in the gamplay between HL2:EP1 and EP2?
Is there going to be any kind of innovation in the genre in Starcraft 2 or is the game only going to be Starcraft 1 with better graphics?

Don't mistake me, I love PC games but when somebody claim that there isn't any kind if rehashes on the system i laugh long and hard.

read his original quote more carefully next time JLF1, its only like 5 words I dont see how you could have misinterpreted it.
DrinkDuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214 DrinkDuff
Member since 2004 • 6762 Posts
What is Epic going to do? Just make Gears games?Tiefster
I won't mind that too much. Gears is better than UT3 anyway. And at any rate I doubt they will stop making UT games. I'm sure Epic will redeem themselves with the next UT (Think UT2k3 to UT2k4) which will be on the PC too so stop crying hermits.
gingerdivid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215 gingerdivid
Member since 2006 • 7206 Posts

In light of recent events, I'm unfazed about this news. Although, Epic's recent actions don't make a dime of sense. To sign up to a PC game alliance and then announce that their next engine will be console centric is..... odd.

It still dosen't mean they wont be making PC games though. If they're targeting consoles, it dosen't mean that this engine wont be compatible with PC's. Far from it, Epic will still optimise their PC games (I assume), like they've always done.

The UE3 engine is popular on consoles, whilst PC centric developers aren't as interested. Thier role in the PC market has changed, so it's the best move for Epic.

DrinkDuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216 DrinkDuff
[QUOTE="FrozenLiquid"][QUOTE="jangojay"]

[QUOTE="Gh0st_Of_0nyx"]Hmmm I wonder why....:lol:jangojay

Because you guys treat an average developer like gods?

Omg..... :lol: They weren't so average when they were PC exclusive developers were they? In fact, they created the godly UT games. Back then they were the wingers for the PC's allstar team weren't they? But now hermits call them 'average'. :lol: Wow, that's just completely hilarious.

They haven't been PC exclusive since... dreamcast?. And they slow dewendled thier way into averageness.

Unreal... Decent, not the best or most innovative thing out.. above average but under greatness

Unreal tournament - WoW yes! Best thing since quake

Unreal 2k3 ... average.. plays like original with new graphics

Unreal 2 .. terrible

Unreal 2k4... Damn good come back epic!

Unreal 3... Damn..... unreal 2k4.. again :S

This is exactly how they look on the PC side of things

Judging from that list, Epic has always had ups and downs but no one called them average before, and according to this pattern, UT4 is going to be a huge come back for epic. Looks like I wouldn't want to miss out on this if I were you, and you won't because they still are developing for PCs...
DrinkDuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217 DrinkDuff
[QUOTE="Gh0st_Of_0nyx"][QUOTE="Vandalvideo"][QUOTE="Gh0st_Of_0nyx"] Im just a bit shocked that hermits are hating on the Ureal 4 engine and no one knows what that engine is even going to look like. Its like since it's being made for console 1st it must suck :roll: Vandalvideo
As it should be hated on. We're not even half way through the generation and Epic is pushing out another proprietary engine? Unreal 2 lasted practically the entirety of last generation. This whole engine smells of despiration.

Epic announced the UT3engine at e3 05 (3 years ago) on the ps3 techonology advances at and alarming rate these days you should know your a hermit. Im not surprised there working on another engine they dont wana be left behind with a dated engine while the other companies capitalize. Your making it seem like upgrading is a bad thing :?

Its a bad thing if this engine is going to be pushed out the door this generationl.

It isn't. Didn't you read the news? IT's being pushed for the next-generation.
DrinkDuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218 DrinkDuff
[QUOTE="Gh0st_Of_0nyx"]

It's funny seeing all this hermit hate go towards epic now that they switched sides :lol:

Last year when the found out gears of war was coming to the PC they were all "we have the superior version lems have fun with your mod less gimped gears lol" Now epic has jumped ship and hermits are all hating it all of a sudden :lol:

MadExponent

It wasn't all of a sudden. LoL. The fact does still remain though Gears is best on PC, but it still sucks... :/

Yes it was all of the sudden, or did you forget how big the hype was for UT3?
oback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#219 oback
Member since 2004 • 7151 Posts

unreal went scrubfest i guess

there will always be somthing better on the pc so im not worried.

turgore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#220 turgore
Member since 2006 • 7859 Posts
This is the equivalent of a kick in the nuts for hermits. Abandoned.
Avatar image for ProductNumber49
ProductNumber49

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#221 ProductNumber49
Member since 2006 • 3840 Posts
Hermits dont care about Epic and Unreal anymore,right?;)
jangojay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#222 jangojay
Member since 2007 • 4044 Posts
[QUOTE="DrinkDuff"]

I always though of them as average, because most of their games are just that... average, PC side at least. They really have two gems, Unreal Tournamet, the original and UT2k4, that's it the rest of games are average or terrible, so it's not like I'm just going around calling them average baselessly, They are average to me so I won't really miss em much.

lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223 lowe0
Member since 2004 • 13692 Posts

[QUOTE="Gh0st_Of_0nyx"]Hmmm I wonder why....:lol:jangojay

Because you guys treat an average developer like gods?

So why would a developer bother making PC games when console gamers will "treat [them] like gods"? Why bother living up to your inflated standards when there's easy money to be made on consoles?

When developers ditch the PC for consoles, you have no one to blame but yourselves.

TMontana1004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#224 TMontana1004
Member since 2007 • 4537 Posts
Geow3 is going to look insane on the next Xbox.
Ragashahs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225 Ragashahs
Member since 2005 • 8785 Posts
makes sense since console software selles better than pc games
MadExponent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226 MadExponent
Member since 2003 • 11454 Posts
[QUOTE="MadExponent"][QUOTE="Gh0st_Of_0nyx"]

It's funny seeing all this hermit hate go towards epic now that they switched sides :lol:

Last year when the found out gears of war was coming to the PC they were all "we have the superior version lems have fun with your mod less gimped gears lol" Now epic has jumped ship and hermits are all hating it all of a sudden :lol:

DrinkDuff

It wasn't all of a sudden. LoL. The fact does still remain though Gears is best on PC, but it still sucks... :/

Yes it was all of the sudden, or did you forget how big the hype was for UT3?

Well then I agree that it was sudden cause UT3 sucked complete ass.

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

The source engine is NOT better.JakeTD21

it's definitly much more popular among PC devs

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

This is the equivalent of a kick in the nuts for hermits. Abandoned.turgore

How so? UE3.0 debuted two years ago and to this day the only PC-centric game that uses it is a freeware ageia tech demo.

A kick in the nuts? Sure..... pc devs kicked Epic in the nuts it seems

tarmadadj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229 tarmadadj
Member since 2006 • 78 Posts
Whats next?
Crytek 3 ds exclusive?