Unreal engine 4 targeting for consoles, not PC's

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by tader-salad (842 posts) -
Link
#2 Posted by JiveT (8618 posts) -
Hermits am cry.
#3 Posted by LockeAteid (1210 posts) -
This really going to come back around and bite them in the butt. Mark my words.
#4 Posted by -Jiggles- (4356 posts) -
Something tells me we'll never see another Unreal Tournament game for the PC. Ever.
#5 Posted by tader-salad (842 posts) -
Now if the Source engine2 goes the way of unreal engine 4, then I will be worried.
#6 Posted by PAF_FAISAL (59 posts) -
PC gamers wont accept rehashes is that why its not meant for the pc?
#7 Posted by cobrax25 (9649 posts) -

and the Source and Cryengine 2 are both based on PC games.

And frankly...both of them are better.

#8 Posted by jangojay (4044 posts) -

Now if the Source engine2 goes the way of unreal engine 4, then I will be worried.tader-salad

It won't but this isn't suprising. I guess epic is going to the place where they are treated as rockstars rather than another average joe.

#9 Posted by kage_53 (12671 posts) -
Hermits am cry.JiveT
This has nothing to with that. Cryengine 2 is already infinitly better than UE3. If UE4 if for consoles it means Epic cant compete with Crytek in terms of designing a very good game engine.
#10 Posted by BobHipJames (3126 posts) -

Something tells me we'll never see another Unreal Tournament game for the PC. Ever.-Jiggles-

Epic am fail.

#11 Posted by -Jiggles- (4356 posts) -

Now if the Source engine2 goes the way of unreal engine 4, then I will be worried.tader-salad

I wouldn't count on it. Valve has always been dedicated to using the PC as their main platform for many of their games, past & present. Valve also has a history of not liking much that isn't similar to a PC, such as the PS3.

Besides, they own Steam, one of the largest (if not the largest) user interfaces for distributing and playing video games on the PC, which many famous developers use. Shutting down Steam would be a very, very, VERY stupid move.

#12 Posted by Gh0st_Of_0nyx (8992 posts) -
Hmmm I wonder why....:lol:
#13 Posted by jangojay (4044 posts) -

Sweeney:The Unreal engine is really tied to a console cycle. We will continue to improve Unreal Engine 3 and add significant new features through the end of this console cycle.

Is it me or does that sound like a load of BS? lol

#14 Posted by jangojay (4044 posts) -

Hmmm I wonder why....:lol:Gh0st_Of_0nyx

Because you guys treat an average developer like gods?

#15 Posted by tader-salad (842 posts) -
I wanna say "epic is teh sellout!" and I'd probably be right.
#16 Posted by BobHipJames (3126 posts) -

[QUOTE="tader-salad"]Now if the Source engine2 goes the way of unreal engine 4, then I will be worried.-Jiggles-

I wouldn't count on it. Valve has always been dedicated to using the PC as their main platform for many of their games, past & present. Valve also has a history of not liking much that isn't similar to a PC, such as the PS3.

Besides, they own Steam, one of the largest (if not the largest) user interfaces for distributing and playing video games on the PC, which many famous developers use. Shutting down Steam would be a very, very, VERY stupid move.

Half Life 1 on PS2....Half Life 2 on Xbox....Orange Box PS3 360....Counter Strike Xbox....Left 4 Dead 360, Might and Magic 360....

Not to mention Orange Box was simultaneous release on 360 and PC....

I'm seriously doubting their PC cred. I don't know WHY they develop for consoles if they don't LIKE them and don't WANT them to succeed. People will go where the games go, simple as that.

#17 Posted by cobrax25 (9649 posts) -

Sweeney:The Unreal engine is really tied to a console cycle. We will continue to improve Unreal Engine 3 and add significant new features through the end of this console cycle.

Is it me or does that sound like a load of BS? lol

jangojay

I wonder if it pains epic to know that the Source engine is gonna outlive UE3 even though its been in use longer than UE2 :lol:

#18 Posted by jangojay (4044 posts) -
[QUOTE="-Jiggles-"]

[QUOTE="tader-salad"]Now if the Source engine2 goes the way of unreal engine 4, then I will be worried.BobHipJames

Half Life 1 on PS2....Half Life 2 on Xbox....Orange Box PS3 360....Counter Strike Xbox....Left 4 Dead 360, Might and Magic 360....

I'm seriously doubting their PC cred. I don't know WHY they develop for consoles if they don't LIKE them and don't WANT them to succeed. People will go where the games go, simple as that.

Money? As for those ports.... well you can see that valve hasn't put much effort in them.. Especially CS for Xbox lol

#19 Posted by cobrax25 (9649 posts) -
[QUOTE="-Jiggles-"]

[QUOTE="tader-salad"]Now if the Source engine2 goes the way of unreal engine 4, then I will be worried.BobHipJames

The orange box on the PC outsold both console versions combined.

and notice how not a single source based game out their has ever had its primary version be on a console.

#20 Posted by Hewkii (26339 posts) -

BobHipJames

they appear to be testing the waters with those games, as it were. plus they also have a habit of making vastly inferior console versions (perhaps not HL1, but the others have seen this trend).

#21 Posted by MyopicCanadian (8345 posts) -
What's so great about the Unreal Engine anyway? Nothing, that's what. CryEngine 2 pwns it. I even like the Source engine more than UE 3.0.
#22 Posted by zipozal (1809 posts) -
[QUOTE="BobHipJames"

Hewkii

they appear to be testing the waters with those games, as it were. plus they also have a habit of making vastly inferior console versions (perhaps not HL1, but the others have seen this trend).

Couldn't they have said the exact same dam thing about UE3 engine and we would have believed it? I mean aren't most of the games made on that garbage engine crafted for the consoles anyway?

Anyway honestly the freaking SOURCE engine looks better then UE3 (IE Half Life 2 Episode 2 all around looks better then Gears or UT3) so Cryteks engine will still simply obliterate the pos.

#23 Posted by black_awpN1 (7863 posts) -
Wait, theres a Fourth Engine now? I thought what they showed at GDC was a Improved version of the UE 3?
#24 Posted by jet052006 (835 posts) -

[QUOTE="Gh0st_Of_0nyx"]Hmmm I wonder why....:lol:jangojay

The game they just made before unreal 3 was rated AAA, and got goty for the year, how is that considered average?

#25 Posted by jangojay (4044 posts) -

Wait, theres a Fourth Engine now? I thought what they showed at GDC was a Improved version of the UE 3? black_awpN1

They said the fourth one would be targetting the console war.

#26 Posted by jangojay (4044 posts) -
[QUOTE="jangojay"]

[QUOTE="Gh0st_Of_0nyx"]Hmmm I wonder why....:lol:jet052006

The game they just made before unreal 3 was rated AAA, and got goty for the year, how is that considered average?

Check thier games before Gears of War. Thier games have been going downhill. Their lack of creativity has thrown the unreal franchise into rehash after rehash, after 10 years why does unreal 3 feel like unreal 1 with new graphics?

#27 Posted by linkin_guy109 (8864 posts) -
pc gamers are not pleased with this
#28 Posted by Memoryitis (2221 posts) -
bahaha pwntage thats good now games can have PC like graphics on consoles
#29 Posted by jangojay (4044 posts) -

pc gamers are not pleased with thislinkin_guy109

Honestly I don't care, only really good thing fromt the UE3 engine was how well it was optimised.

#30 Posted by jangojay (4044 posts) -

bahaha pwntage thats good now games can have PC like graphics on consolesMemoryitis

That doesn't make sense. First off I'm not going to use the hardware argument even though that will prove you wrong off the bat. Here's two others. The unreal 3 engine is already on consoles, so why does gears on X360 and gears on PC look so different? Now secondly you are assuming all games use this engine..

#31 Posted by TheOwnerOner (2921 posts) -

WTS tissue paper,

any hermits wanna buy?

#32 Posted by MyopicCanadian (8345 posts) -
I just thought about this... maybe Epic should take some notes from id software, who is developing Rage and their new engine simultaneously on PC, Mac, 360 and PS3 :)
#33 Posted by lettuceman44 (7971 posts) -

Have you seen Valve's attitude toward consoles? I don't think there is much to worry.

Epic on the other hand, they suck now. PC gaming alliance will sure like this.

#34 Posted by dream431ca (10165 posts) -

[QUOTE="JiveT"]Hermits am cry.kage_53
This has nothing to with that. Cryengine 2 is already infinitly better than UE3. If UE4 if for consoles it means Epic cant compete with Crytek in terms of designing a very good game engine.

Totally agree.

#35 Posted by zipozal (1809 posts) -

bahaha pwntage thats good now games can have PC like graphics on consolesMemoryitis

What are you smoking? What did the much, much, much higher rez textures on the PC version of Gears of War, textures that made the poor little console versions look like complete puke have to do with the UE3 engine? I'll give you a hint, nothing...

If Epic said before UE3 came out it was geared towards the consoles would any of you had noticed a difference? Of course not and quite simply UE3 is geared towards the consoles already you console fanboys just think this is news because your to ignorant to realise otherwise.

#36 Posted by jangojay (4044 posts) -

WTS tissue paper,

any hermits wanna buy?

TheOwnerOner

I know you stocked up for everytime your 360 breaks.

#37 Posted by DragonfireXZ95 (21585 posts) -
[QUOTE="-Jiggles-"]

Think of it this way, this time around the consoles were much closer to the graphical capabilites of the PC. They ported all the old games to Xbox and PS2, it was done much later, but it was much easier around this time with the new gen of consoles.

I'm pretty Valve is mainly PC considering all of the PC versions of the games get the most updates.

Avatar image for justforlotr2004
#38 Posted by justforlotr2004 (10935 posts) -
They have dozens of developers that are using the UE3 for consoles so its not suprising they would want to expand that for those developers.
#39 Posted by -Jiggles- (4356 posts) -
[QUOTE="-Jiggles-"]

Valve doesn't hate consoles, but they only favor the ones that are most similar to an actual PC. They make games for the Xbox 360 because the Xbox 360's architecture is similar to that of a PC's, not to mention the developement cycle is similar as well.

#40 Posted by Memoryitis (2221 posts) -

Man you guys have to stop taking me word for word, I said LIKE PC's man

of course PCs are superior but at least we can have something close on consoles

Talking about Fanboys...

#41 Posted by zipozal (1809 posts) -
[QUOTE="BobHipJames"][QUOTE="-Jiggles-"]

[QUOTE="tader-salad"]Now if the Source engine2 goes the way of unreal engine 4, then I will be worried.DragonfireXZ95

Think of it this way, this time around the consoles were much closer to the graphical capabilites of the PC. They ported all the old games to Xbox and PS2, it was done much later, but it was much easier around this time with the new gen of consoles.

I'm pretty Valve is mainly PC considering all of the PC versions of the games get the most updates.

Get the most updates? :lol: what has TF2 had on 360? One patch to fix the awful lag and it didn't even do it fully :lol:

The PC version has had what? Over a Dozen updates of fixes, balance tweaks and brand freaking new content :lol: the poor console versions are just garbage in comparison.... Valve doesn't give a dam about them mainly because...

They know consoles are all about hit bursts as in games usually only sell well on consoels for a month or 2 and then the sales just flat line where on PC they just keep selling and selling...

Add to that the fact that Valve said they made over 5x as much per unit sold of Half-life 2 on STEAM as they did at retail meaning the console versions of Orange Box would have to sell over 6x as much (once you add in microsofts cert and royalty fees)

And Valve already said the PC version sold SIGNIFICANTLY more then the 360/PS3 version combined :lol:

#42 Posted by DragonfireXZ95 (21585 posts) -
[QUOTE="DragonfireXZ95"][QUOTE="BobHipJames"][QUOTE="-Jiggles-"]

[QUOTE="tader-salad"]Now if the Source engine2 goes the way of unreal engine 4, then I will be worried.zipozal

Get the most updates? :lol: what has TF2 had on 360? One patch to fix the awful lag and it didn't even do it fully :lol:

The PC version has had what? Over a Dozen updates of fixes, balance tweaks and brand freaking new content :lol: the poor console versions are just garbage in comparison.... Valve doesn't give a dam about them mainly because...

They know consoles are all about hit bursts as in games usually only sell well on consoels for a month or 2 and then the sales just flat line where on PC they just keep selling and selling...

Add to that the fact that Valve said they made over 4x as much per unit sold of Half-life 2 on STEAM as they did at retail meaning the console versions of Orange Box would have to sell over 5x as much (once you add in microsofts cert and royalty fees)

And Valve already said the PC version sold SIGNIFICANTLY more then the 360/PS3 version combined :lol:

You realize I was agreeing with you right? I said that the PC version gets the most updates. :P

That's if you were refuting me, if not, then okay. lol

#43 Posted by slickchris7777 (1610 posts) -
Anybody actually read the article, he seemed to be talking alot about PC tech along with UE4.
#44 Posted by AdrianWerner (28437 posts) -

That's not really surprising, UE3.0 has been a huge flop among PC developers, hardly any PC-centric dev has licensed it aside from few rare asian developers. Bassicaly PC developers have chosen to ignore UE3.0, it's a failure, especialy compared to how popular UE2.0 was

#45 Posted by sSubZerOo (46491 posts) -
The pc base doesn't really care any more.. UT3 bombed because it blew because it was dumbed down...
#46 Posted by slickchris7777 (1610 posts) -
Now that I think about it, did any big PC games use UE3?
#47 Posted by sSubZerOo (46491 posts) -

Now that I think about it, did any big PC games use UE3?slickchris7777

The only one was the multiport Bioshock.. Thats really the only popular pc game multiplat with the UE3 engine tha tpeople played alot...

Isn't Huxley using the UE3?

#48 Posted by wemhim (16110 posts) -
Cryengine 3.0...
#49 Posted by AdrianWerner (28437 posts) -

Now that I think about it, did any big PC games use UE3?slickchris7777

Nope. The only PC-centric one was that Warmonger freeware FPS from Netdevil that bassicaly was a ageia tech demo.

There are only few upcoming ones that use it (Grimm, GlobalAgenda, Huxley and Stargate Worlds)

#50 Posted by Tiefster (14639 posts) -
What is Epic going to do? Just make Gears games?