Today is N64's 18th birthday. Share your favorite memories.

• 95 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

God, I loved that fucking system. I played it soooo much and still missed out on lots of great games.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

@scottpsfan14 said:
@Heirren said:

@scottpsfan14 said:
@Heirren said:

greatest console launch of all time.

Mario 64, Wave Race 64, Goldeneye... agreed. PS1 was the better console in the end though.

I don't think so. I just got my 64 back after having it on "lend" for almost 15 years or so. It is absolutely INCREDIBLE how well the greats on the console hold up. I started buying into the "goldeneye plays like crap" saying. Truth is that it doesn't. It took me a minute to gather the controls again, but once I did I was doing just fine. Same goes for Turok 2. Wave Race is classic. Mario 64? Holy fckng cow that game is just otherworldly unbelievable.

What made the launch so amazing was that it made everything new again. People like myself that had that sense of wonder with the nes got it again with the n64. I do like playstation, but it just doesn't measure up. I know there are 100s of games more, but in retrospect most of the ones I'd ever really want to go back and play are rpgs..................except Twisted Metal 1 and 2; best games on the console.

Me seeing Driver, Medievil, Crash Bandicoot, Tekken really had an impact on me though. But the N64 is still fantastic and has some of the most enjoyable games of all time on it. Mario 64 is something I've completed a 100 times or more. That is, all 120 stars, not just the last bowser defeat.

Driver, Crash and Tekken suck ass though.

m3dude1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 m3dude1
Member since 2007 • 2334 Posts

the last good thing nintendos done. 4 players in wrestlemania 2000, nba hangtime and mario kart led to physical fights on a daily basis

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

When N64 games came out they shocked the world. It elevated above gaming--it had a cultural impact maybe more than any other console in history.

OhSnapitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 OhSnapitz
Member since 2002 • 19282 Posts

@Heirren said:

When N64 games came out they shocked the world. It elevated above gaming--it had a cultural impact maybe more than any other console in history.

I don't totally disagree.. but I believe the PSOne had a bigger impact than the N64. It sold twice as much and made gaming a casual's paradise (more so than the N64 did if you can believe that..).

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

@OhSnapitz said:

@Heirren said:

I don't totally disagree.. but I believe the PSOne had a bigger impact than the N64. It sold twice as much and made gaming a casual's paradise (more so than the N64 did if you can believe that..).

No. N64 has had the biggest impact since the NES, and pong before that. It changed the way games were made, who the focus was, where videogames were appropriate, and introduced concepts never done practically. It did all this not through advertising, but through gameplay and word of mouth. The console became a legend amongst college students--it spread like a virus, and there will likely never be something else like it.

The N64 is the Star Wars of the videogame industry.

OhSnapitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 OhSnapitz
Member since 2002 • 19282 Posts

@Heirren said:

@OhSnapitz said:

@Heirren said:

No. N64 has had the biggest impact since the NES, and pong before that. It changed the way games were made, who the focus was, where videogames were appropriate, and introduced concepts never done practically. It did all this not through advertising, but through gameplay and word of mouth. The console became a legend amongst college students--it spread like a virus, and there will likely never be something else like it.

The N64 is the Star Wars of the videogame industry.

Again I don't totally disagree, but the PSOne reached a much larger audience and had a much larger Library of games (Better or Not remains subjective).

treelog187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 treelog187
Member since 2005 • 2111 Posts

@Blabadon said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

@Blabadon said:

Loved Smash and Party, but Super Mario 64 was just too mind blowing. That game was something different

I liked mario 64 more than galaxy

You're disgusting then

Definitely.

On topic: No special story here. I bought the console with Ocarina of Time and it was too amazing for words. It might have been my happiest time as a gamer.

rabakill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#60  Edited By rabakill
Member since 2004 • 884 Posts

@mr_badass1 said:

Nintendo is most childish console ever. it create nothing good for gaming.

LOL zelda, mario. shooo cuute games.

Those games you laugh at are the highest rated games of all time as well so yeah... seriously. You say that the nintendo did nothing good..... besides the best 3 games ever

http://www.gamerankings.com/browse.html

schu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#61  Edited By schu
Member since 2003 • 10191 Posts

1v3ing my brother and my two best friends on WWF: No Mercy repeatedly.

treelog187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 treelog187
Member since 2005 • 2111 Posts

@rabakill said:

@mr_badass1 said:

Nintendo is most childish console ever. it create nothing good for gaming.

LOL zelda, mario. shooo cuute games.

Those games you laugh at are the highest rated games of all time as well so yeah... seriously. You say that the nintendo did nothing good..... besides the best 3 games ever

http://www.gamerankings.com/browse.html

To which he will reply "corrupt mainstream media". Same tired old shtick.

No point in arguing with him since it's just a joke role that he likes to play. It used to be amusing, but ran its course a long time ago.

no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 no-scope-AK47
Member since 2012 • 3755 Posts

For me it was mario kart and goldeneye we must have played them thousands of times easy. Really we would play till our eyes burned. Guys was betting money and talking reckless. I had 4 sticks and 10 to 17 of my friends waiting in line waiting doing side bets. Sure smash was cool and later perfect dark but we always came back to the two megatons.

dalger21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By dalger21
Member since 2002 • 2231 Posts

Goldeneye and Ocarina of Time (still the best Zelda game to date). Those are the two games I have fond memories of.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
Member since 2012 • 3185 Posts

@Dibdibdobdobo said:

Throwing proximity mines on my friend in perfect dark, then running at the enemies.

Classic

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I was wowed more by Wave Race 64 than Mario 64.

Loading Video...

PikachuDude860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#67 PikachuDude860
Member since 2014 • 1810 Posts

*Sniff* They grow up so fast.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

@jun_aka_pekto said:

I was wowed more by Wave Race 64 than Mario 64.

Loading Video...

Games arent done this well anymore. Since I got my n64 back I'm actually starting to think it might be the greatest console of all time. It has classics on a Pacman level.

Avatar image for deactivated-6224691f9a882
deactivated-6224691f9a882

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 deactivated-6224691f9a882
Member since 2005 • 868 Posts

Wave Race 64 was the bollocks, loved goldeneye and rogue squadron too.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

I gotta ask if I'm the only one that preferred the synth based audio, over that of "cd quality"?

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44100 Posts

Happy B day I suppose..... Banjo 1 & 2 remain the best 3D platformers - why oh why MS / Rare refuses to make a modern one along with a new Conker is a mystery and a disappointment.

Perhaps X1 will get the love, we shall see.

gdfsgdfg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By gdfsgdfg
Member since 2008 • 74 Posts

I've never owned an n64 but I did emulate a few games on pc, and If I were to pick the best game I'd say Mario 64

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

2 memories I have:

1. In college playing Madden 64 with friends as a drinking game. Touchdown was a shot. Fieldgoal was swig of beer. I sucked at the game so by the end of it I could barely play Mario.

2. Playing Goldeneye with 1 shot kills with pistols < how skilled players played.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

@mr_huggles_dog said:

2. Playing Goldeneye with 1 shot kills with pistols < how skilled players played.

Untrue. One shot kills made for a more even playing field with unskilled players.

My siblings, and cousin, found that the best way to play was -4 health. What this does is adjusts the damage so that one shot to the head is a one shot kill, a couple shots to the chest, and so fourth. Yes, we tried everything. lol.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

@Heirren said:

@mr_huggles_dog said:

Untrue. One shot kills made for a more even playing field with unskilled players.

My siblings, and cousin, found that the best way to play was -4 health. What this does is adjusts the damage so that one shot to the head is a one shot kill, a couple shots to the chest, and so fourth. Yes, we tried everything. lol.

B/c you're not suppose to circle jerk like with auto weapons and run around like a chicken with your head cut off.

You have to actually play cat and mouse and get a vantage point on the opponent. Hence the true skilled Goldeneye players played this way.

The peak out of the corner technique actually became useful in mulitplayer....b/c again...one shot and you were dead.

Not understanding how to play the mode....makes me think more that it's only for the skilled players.

AHHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHHAH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

@mr_huggles_dog said:

@Heirren said:

@mr_huggles_dog said:

B/c you're not suppose to circle jerk like with auto weapons and run around like a chicken with your head cut off.

You have to actually play cat and mouse and get a vantage point on the opponent. Hence the true skilled Goldeneye players played this way.

The peak out of the corner technique actually became useful in mulitplayer....b/c again...one shot and you were dead.

Not understanding how to play the mode....makes me think more that it's only for the skilled players.

AHHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHHAH

Maybe I'm not understanding what you are saying. There is no correct way to play. If a new player wants to run arround with a p90(if i remember correctly) then so be it. Skilled players adjust to the situation. That was the beauty of goldeneye. -4 allows for a tad full of luck, but I can remember how when we would play the specific one shot kill matches that getting a foot shot was bullshit on even the winning players side--we all thought that. If you can't get that headshot then its a no go.

Wiiboxstation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Wiiboxstation
Member since 2014 • 1753 Posts

@Renegade_Fury:

I can agree with the aged terribly comment. I recently played goldeneye which was incredible at the time. Thought I was garbage.

Fuhrer_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 Fuhrer_D
Member since 2011 • 1125 Posts

I was one of the four people (if all prizes were accounted for) in the country that won an N64 and Mario 64 from the Kellogg's cereal box contest, Apple Jacks for the win.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#79 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

It's only been like.. 6 years, but i have fond memories of playing Mario Kart 64 and Mario Party with a smaller relative.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#80 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41542 Posts

@HalcyonScarlet said:

I think i was at the right age when it came out as a young teenager. Probably why I have such nostalgic memories, best time in gaming. I can't quite remember being as excited about any gaming in years. None of it really feels special now. I probably just got older.

The current gen in gaming has been the lowest point. It's the definition of 'no fucks were given'.

If I had a 60Hz working version of the N64, I'd still have it plugged in now I think. But mine doesn't work and I only have the UK 50Hz version.

Lol Nintendo, they were still pissing around with 50Hz last gen with the Wii when everyone else moved on to 60Hz completely a long time ago. Mario 25th Anniversary Edition wasn't so much a lazy slap in the face to the fans, but a golden fucking shower. What a joke. Nintendo just don't get it, they can't afford to have this attitude.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the Wii have a 60 HZ mode? Sure, SMB 25th (and VC games) using 50 HZ might be horrible (though to be fair, that collection sucked ass in comparison to the Kirby's Dream Collection, which for some reason, NoE did not want to release in Europe), but every Wii game I've gotten since I've started living in the UK has a 60 HZ mode.

Some Wii U VC games like F-Zero are also in 60 HZ too (not sure if every later release followed though).

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5557 Posts

Mortal Kombat Trilogy - Best fighting game ever

NFL Blitz - Best sports game ever

:P

EDIT: ... and how could I forget those WCW games.... great wraaaastling

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By jhonMalcovich
Member since 2010 • 7090 Posts

I remember it as the most awefully looking consoles ever with nothing else to play but Mario 64, Mario Cart and Goldeneye. RIP useless piece of plastic.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#83 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

I guess mine would be owning a Sega Saturn and PS1 instead of an N64. I finally owned a Nintendo console when I bought my girlfriend a Wii.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13666 Posts

@nintendoboy16 said:

@HalcyonScarlet said:

I think i was at the right age when it came out as a young teenager. Probably why I have such nostalgic memories, best time in gaming. I can't quite remember being as excited about any gaming in years. None of it really feels special now. I probably just got older.

The current gen in gaming has been the lowest point. It's the definition of 'no fucks were given'.

If I had a 60Hz working version of the N64, I'd still have it plugged in now I think. But mine doesn't work and I only have the UK 50Hz version.

Lol Nintendo, they were still pissing around with 50Hz last gen with the Wii when everyone else moved on to 60Hz completely a long time ago. Mario 25th Anniversary Edition wasn't so much a lazy slap in the face to the fans, but a golden fucking shower. What a joke. Nintendo just don't get it, they can't afford to have this attitude.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the Wii have a 60 HZ mode? Sure, SMB 25th (and VC games) using 50 HZ might be horrible (though to be fair, that collection sucked ass in comparison to the Kirby's Dream Collection, which for some reason, NoE did not want to release in Europe), but every Wii game I've gotten since I've started living in the UK has a 60 HZ mode.

Some Wii U VC games like F-Zero are also in 60 HZ too (not sure if every later release followed though).

Yeah it does, but that's not the point. On other consoles, once you're in 60Hz mode, that's it. With this some games 60Hz, some aren't. Even the VC games, Nintendo could work harder to give us 60Hz versions, it's the least they could do, it's just really lazy. When a game goes to PSN or XBLA, you don't even question if it's 60Hz, because that's the least they've done in the port among a ton of other stuff. Nintendo just dump stuff on the VC like it's an emulator and roms off the the internet.

That aside how could they be so lazy with the Mario 25th edition game? It should have been a special thing, a fan service. A 25th edition Mario or Zelda package should have be an iconic and celebrated moment for gaming and Nintendo.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#85  Edited By jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64039 Posts

The n64s shooters were overrated as ****.

Any positive they did came with an asterisk: for consoles, because in an era that saw Half Life, Doom1-2, Wolfenstein, Quake, Unreal, System Shock, AVP2, Deus Ex, Rise of the Triad, Shadow Warrior, Tribes, Counterstrike, Team Fortress, No One Lives Forever, Rainbow Six, Ghost Recon, so many more sophisticated shooters from a gameplay perspective with way better controls that its laughable that Perfect Dark and Goldeneye were considered great.

Admittedly fun as **** with a group of friends, but mostly because you didn't know of substantially better playing shooters that are more than playable today in a way that Goldeney and Perfect Dark aren't.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#86  Edited By nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41542 Posts

@HalcyonScarlet said:

Yeah it does, but that's not the point. On other consoles, once you're in 60Hz mode, that's it. With this some games 60Hz, some aren't. Even the VC games, Nintendo could work harder to give us 60Hz versions, it's the least they could do, it's just really lazy. When a game goes to PSN or XBLA, you don't even question if it's 60Hz, because that's the least they've done in the port among a ton of other stuff. Nintendo just dump stuff on the VC like it's an emulator and roms off the the internet.

That aside how could they be so lazy with the Mario 25th edition game? It should have been a special thing, a fan service. A 25th edition Mario or Zelda package should have be an iconic and celebrated moment for gaming and Nintendo.

Eh, fair enough. Although in my time here since I started getting PAL games for the GameCube, Wii, and PS2, I haven't really noticed the difference (outside of some content on some games, like DBZ: Budokai having Japanese audio and a different opening, while the NA version used the FUNimation voice actors and an opening that sticks closer to the show, other than that, they both ran the same to me) on those systems.

Ya got me on why they screwed up on the Mario collection (just a repackaging of the SNES cart), but dude, take a look at Kirby's Collection. Every mainline game on the Game Boy, NES, SNES, and N64 made it to that collection. True, some spinoffs (like Dream Course and Tilt and Tumble) would have been nice, but it was still a far better package than what Mario got.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13666 Posts

@nintendoboy16 said:

@HalcyonScarlet said:

Eh, fair enough. Although in my time here since I started getting PAL games for the GameCube, Wii, and PS2, I haven't really noticed the difference (outside of some content on some games, like DBZ: Budokai having Japanese audio and a different opening, while the NA version used the FUNimation voice actors and an opening that sticks closer to the show, other than that, they both ran the same to me) on those systems.

Check these out:

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

Suppaman100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 Suppaman100
Member since 2013 • 5250 Posts

@clyde46 said:

The PS1 was the better console.

True

But N64 had some great classics.

Suppaman100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 Suppaman100
Member since 2013 • 5250 Posts

@mems_1224 said:

@scottpsfan14 said:
@Heirren said:

@scottpsfan14 said:
@Heirren said:

greatest console launch of all time.

Mario 64, Wave Race 64, Goldeneye... agreed. PS1 was the better console in the end though.

I don't think so. I just got my 64 back after having it on "lend" for almost 15 years or so. It is absolutely INCREDIBLE how well the greats on the console hold up. I started buying into the "goldeneye plays like crap" saying. Truth is that it doesn't. It took me a minute to gather the controls again, but once I did I was doing just fine. Same goes for Turok 2. Wave Race is classic. Mario 64? Holy fckng cow that game is just otherworldly unbelievable.

What made the launch so amazing was that it made everything new again. People like myself that had that sense of wonder with the nes got it again with the n64. I do like playstation, but it just doesn't measure up. I know there are 100s of games more, but in retrospect most of the ones I'd ever really want to go back and play are rpgs..................except Twisted Metal 1 and 2; best games on the console.

Me seeing Driver, Medievil, Crash Bandicoot, Tekken really had an impact on me though. But the N64 is still fantastic and has some of the most enjoyable games of all time on it. Mario 64 is something I've completed a 100 times or more. That is, all 120 stars, not just the last bowser defeat.

Driver, Crash and Tekken suck ass though.

Lol strong bait, but atleast those games were better than anything on Xbox.

BIOKILLER123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By BIOKILLER123
Member since 2010 • 1071 Posts

I love the N64. It's my favourite system of all time.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#91 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

Favorite memory was actually getting the system. Another favorite is getting DK64 with the expansion pack. Such a great system.

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 AM-Gamer
Member since 2012 • 8116 Posts

I was a freshman in high school when this came out, and I was so excited. It ended up having some awesome games.

JyePhye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#93  Edited By JyePhye
Member since 2004 • 6173 Posts

The time my dog took a crap in the cartridge slot

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45173 Posts

@JyePhye said:

did you blow the cartridge slot?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

was curious....

Loading Video...
Loading Video...
Loading Video...

JyePhye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#96 JyePhye
Member since 2004 • 6173 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

@JyePhye said:

did you blow the cartridge slot?

Oh yeah totally fixed it

Yrkoon99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 Yrkoon99
Member since 2007 • 494 Posts

i had a saturn during that time and any time i tried a n64 it made my eyes hurt with its so called smooth textures :(

OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#98  Edited By OreoMilkshake
Member since 2009 • 12833 Posts

Rest in Peace.