This is what I LOVE about PC GAMING Hardware that Consoles can only dream of....

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for rpgs_shall_rule
rpgs_shall_rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51 rpgs_shall_rule
Member since 2006 • 1943 Posts

First time I hear of this.

Lto_thaG

It's pretty old. News of this came out pretty soon after the 69xx cards were released. Still awesome though. Although I did hear that unlocking to 6970 and then OCing more is stupid.

rpgs_shall_rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 rpgs_shall_rule

waste of money

PCs are for... IN ORDER

Music/getting music

Interwebs

Facebook

Starcraft 2

School

Internet Games

PC Games

mejiseike

You mean PCs running Mac OS? :D

mejiseike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#53 mejiseike
Member since 2011 • 530 Posts

[QUOTE="mejiseike"]

waste of money

PCs are for... IN ORDER

Music/getting music

Interwebs

Facebook

Starcraft 2

School

Internet Games

PC Games

rpgs_shall_rule

You mean PCs running Mac OS? :D

no windows 7... there would be no gaming if it were a mac :) lol

and school would probly move up.... i would love to have a macbook pro!!

percech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 percech
Member since 2011 • 5237 Posts
The benefits of such expensive hardware is usually shortcoming or just not worth it in the least bit. Lots of pc gamers spend a lot of money upgrading just to get a few extra fps on their favorite games. They get a high off of it or something. PC gamers are tech savvy so they are more impressed with the tech then the actual results. At the end of the day, it really isn't worth it.
ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#55 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts
I'm tired of arguing with facts against people who near-sighted or totally blind for that matter. Lets leave at this; if you like being tied down and able to play games; Play on a Console. If you like having control of your things, able to play games, and have the largest amount of variety in gaming; Play on a PC. Millions of $$$ in Marketing Does Not = A Good Game. You can play on your PC with a controller and on TV while sitting on your nice couch. I was successful in influencing my "close-minded" friend into getting a PC, after he was throwing a bunch of random, non-backed opinions, quite the same as many console-only gamers on System Wars. But Since then, he's PS3 hasn't turned on, he sold his 360, and has been playing on his PC 24/7.
SpideR_CentS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#56 SpideR_CentS
Member since 2006 • 4766 Posts

See what I LOVE about console gaming is I can just put the game in and it auto-updates and plays. I have no idea what the **** you are talking about in the OP and I don't care. I have no interested in modding or updating or any of that. I just want to play the game.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

See what I LOVE about console gaming is I can just put the game in and it auto-updates and plays. I have no idea what the **** you are talking about in the OP and I don't care. I have no interested in modding or updating or any of that. I just want to play the game.

SpideR_CentS

pc games have had auto-updates for quite some time now.

And would'nt you want the choice of mods + free content as opposed to not having the choice?

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts

[QUOTE="SpideR_CentS"]

Jankarcop

pc games have had auto-updates for quite some time now.

And would'nt you want the choice of mods + free content as opposed to not having the choice?

I don't understand the logic there either. It is like people love having less options and are happier because of that, (and pay more for less). >.>
MushroomWig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 MushroomWig
Member since 2009 • 11625 Posts
Meh, I play games to have fun, graphics and resolution aren't at the top of my list when I'm playing a game, it's story and gameplay.
Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Jankarcop

Meh, I play games to have fun, graphics and resolution aren't at the top of my list when I'm playing a game, it's story and gameplay.MushroomWig

I like having all of that at :)

Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#61 Xtasy26
Member since 2008 • 5582 Posts

have fun when it explodes.AiurProtoss

...and why would it do that? Have been using it for a month with no issues what so ever. Operates just like a XFX HD 6970. AMD basically took a HD 6970 and locked it to a HD 6950. I guess they forgot the part about "hard locking" the 6950's so that people can't flash it.

Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Xtasy26

and its working fine under stress TC? maybe i should try flashing my 5850 with a 5870 bios. .....er then again maybe not for now at least.osan0

Yep. Working like a charm. It's just like a XFX HD 6970 which if I had brought it would have been cost me $100 more.

Lionheart08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#63 Lionheart08
Member since 2005 • 15814 Posts

okay then... when are people going to realize pc and console gamers do the exact same thing? they just sit on their butts and play videogames i don't see the difference..

Chris_Williams
Well that blows any type of game related argument out of the water. :P
Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Xtasy26

And have fun with all the new games that will now run and previously couldn't. Oh, wait ...

KiZZo1

I can now run Crysis and Crysis Warhead in FULL HD 1080P and get silky smooth frames. Also, those DX 11 effects and tesselation look gorgeous in Dirt 2. Dirt 2 easilly beats out GT5 in graphics with DX 11 + tesselation.

Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Xtasy26

okay then... when are people going to realize pc and console gamers do the exact same thing?

Chris_Williams

No they don't do the same thing. Can I play Modern Warfare 2, Black Ops, in FULL HD 1080P? The list of games on the consoles that can't do FULL HD 1080P+ is over 200+ titles if not more. It's quite a rap sheet. Not to mention they have those horrible jagged edges while PC's can do 16X FSAA with 16X Anistrophic Filtering. Can consoles do the gorgeous DX 11 effects with tesselation in Dirt 2 and in Metro 2033? Didn't think so.

PC's romp ALL OVER the consoles in the graphics department and in exclusives.

Lto_thaG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Lto_thaG
Member since 2006 • 22611 Posts

[QUOTE="Chris_Williams"]

okay then... when are people going to realize pc and console gamers do the exact same thing?

Xtasy26

No they don't do the same thing. Can I play Modern Warfare 2, Black Ops, in FULL HD 1080P? The list of games on the consoles that can't do FULL HD 1080P+ is over 200+ titles if not more. It's quite a rap sheet. Can consoles do the gorgeous DX 11 effects with tesselation in Dirt 2 and in Metro 2033? Didn't think so.

Wow...This is an eye-opener.I did not know about this.
Avatar image for deactivated-5c79c3cfce222
deactivated-5c79c3cfce222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#67 deactivated-5c79c3cfce222
Member since 2009 • 4715 Posts
Thanks for the info. No sarcasm or anything. Is there somewhere one could read up on this procedure? Does it work across all 6950's? Has AMD commented on this?
UC3Drake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 UC3Drake
Member since 2010 • 453 Posts

[QUOTE="Chris_Williams"]

Xtasy26

No they don't do the same thing. Can I play Modern Warfare 2, Black Ops, in FULL HD 1080P? The list of games on the consoles that can't do FULL HD 1080P+ is over 200+ titles if not more. It's quite a rap sheet. Not to mention they have those horrible jagged edges while PC's can do 16X FSAA with 16X Anistrophic Filtering. Can consoles do the gorgeous DX 11 effects with tesselation in Dirt 2 and in Metro 2033? Didn't think so.

Cant consoles and PC both play games? Oh they can? Ok,

lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 lowe0
Member since 2004 • 13692 Posts

Xtasy26

Having seen the difference between PC and console first-hand on quite a few titles, I simply don't see the massive difference that you do. It's a nice increase, but not a deciding factor for me.

...with the exception of Black Ops. Oh, wow, was the PS3 version bad. But really, other than that, I'm good.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c79c3cfce222
deactivated-5c79c3cfce222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 deactivated-5c79c3cfce222
Member since 2009 • 4715 Posts

[QUOTE="Xtasy26"]

lowe0

Having seen the difference between PC and console first-hand on quite a few titles, I simply don't see the massive difference that you do. It's a nice increase, but not a deciding factor for me.

...with the exception of Black Ops. Oh, wow, was the PS3 version bad. But really, other than that, I'm good.

The boost in image quality and performance you can get from a capable PC in multiplatform games is really quite astounding. Suddenly you can see.

Of course if you've got a smaller screen perhaps it's not as noticeable.

alexside1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 alexside1
Member since 2006 • 4412 Posts
Is this even legal?
Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#72 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11293 Posts

Thats pretty need. Can I mod by 5870 into a 6950 ? :PPPPP

edidili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 edidili
Member since 2004 • 3449 Posts

Is this even legal?alexside1

Why not? It's your property with which you can do whatever you want.

Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Xtasy26

[QUOTE="Xtasy26"]

lowe0

Actually the difference is quite significant. Going from 720P to 1080P is over 1+ million pixels? You don't think 1 million pixels is SIGNIFICANT? Most consoles games have horrible AA like 2X FSAA. With PC's you could 16X FSAA and 16X anistrophic filtering. Gaming in 1080P with 16X FSAA and 16X Anistrophic Filtering is a NIGHT and DAY difference especially if you have a big screen TV like a I do 50"+ or higher where playing games in low resoluiton like 720P with low FSAA makes the game look worse on a bigger screen.

Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Xtasy26

Thanks for the info. No sarcasm or anything. Is there somewhere one could read up on this procedure? Does it work across all 6950's? Has AMD commented on this?McStrongfast

It works on prettty much all 6950's. Techpowerup actually has a list of the different brands and the success rate of BIOS flashing as well as how to do it. The procedure is quite smple.

http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/overclocking/vidcard/159

Some manufacturers like Gigabyte, Daimond, HIS, Visiontek all have 100% record doing this.

lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 lowe0

[QUOTE="lowe0"]

[QUOTE="Xtasy26"]

Xtasy26

Actually the difference is quite significant. Going from 720P to 1080P is over 1+ million pixels? You don't think 1 million pixels is SIGNIFICANT? Most consoles games have horrible AA like 2X FSAA. With PC's you could 16X FSAA and 16X anistrophic filtering. Gaming in 1080P with 16X FSAA and 16X Anistrophic Filtering is a NIGHT and DAY difference especially if you have a big screen TV like a I do 50"+ or higher where playing games in low resoluiton like 720P with low FSAA makes the game look worse on a bigger screen.

Yes. Having seen it with my own eyes, I do not find the difference to be as significant as the numbers would imply. That's on a 55" Samsung LCD vs. a 22" Samsung LCD, though I sit much closer to the monitor, such that it actually sweeps a larger visual arc than the TV.
-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#77 -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts

Where did you bring your Lambourghini?

Man I wish I could bring a Lambourghini.

Zaibach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 Zaibach
Member since 2007 • 13466 Posts

why does it hurt your feelings so much that people enjoy console gaming or god forbid prefer it?:?

2-10-08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#79 2-10-08
Member since 2008 • 2775 Posts

Graphics is about 5% of your enjoyment, and in my opinion it's not worth the effort to learn how to do this stuff or buy it.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

[QUOTE="Blacklight2"][QUOTE="R3FURBISHED"]

I've never bought that a reason for PC gaming -- modding and overclocking and whatnot. Did installing Natural Mod 2009 for STALKER make it more enjoyable and much better looking experience? Sure, but just being able to chill on my couch and play my 360 or PS3 makes them the more immediate choice for me.

But thats just me.

R3FURBISHED

You can't sit on your couch and play your PC with a 360 controller?

1. I'm not lugging my full tower into my living room and hooking it up to my TV.
  2. I cannot "relax" and play a PC game, I have to be sitting up straight in my chair and playing.
  3. I may prefer the controller over keyboard/mouse but I cannot play PC games without them -- last time I tried a console controller with PC game was Halo: Combat Evolved back in 2003 and it didn't work. Kinda bizarro there, but it is what it is

PC and consoles are too diferent of beasts for me. Plus, my PC is always going to be a computer before a video game player...even if I built mine with gaming in mind.

Both of my gaming laptop and external graphics card** are portable.

**DIY ViDock http://forum.notebookreview.com/gaming-software-graphics-cards/418851-diy-vidock-experiences.html

---

A semi-portable gaming PC can be built from Shuttle Form Factor(SFF) i.e. Intel Core i5/i7(or AMD PII) + double slot GPU + 1X 1TB HD + BD-ROM.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 ronvalencia

[QUOTE="AiurProtoss"]have fun when it explodes.Xtasy26

...and why would it do that? Have been using it for a month with no issues what so ever. Operates just like a XFX HD 6970. AMD basically took a HD 6970 and locked it to a HD 6950. I guess they forgot the part about "hard locking" the 6950's so that people can't flash it.

AMD didn't forget about "hard locking" i.e. refer to Radeon HD 69X0's dual BIOS feature. The limit is the power supply and power connector issues.

Some 6950 includes 6970's 8 pin + 6 pin power connectors. 6950's (~225 watts) 6 pin power + 6 pin power connectors could be an issue i.e. additional load on the power rails when running 6970 mode.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 ronvalencia

[QUOTE="osan0"]and its working fine under stress TC? maybe i should try flashing my 5850 with a 5870 bios. .....er then again maybe not for now at least.Xtasy26

Yep. Working like a charm. It's just like a XFX HD 6970 which if I had brought it would have been cost me $100 more.

The real XFX HD 6970 can be overclocked further.
Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Jankarcop

[QUOTE="Wii4Fun"]

[QUOTE="Chris_Williams"]

okay then... when are people going to realize pc and console gamers do the exact same thing? they just sit on their butts and play videogames i don't see the difference..

AncientDozer

LOL.

So true.

Because they bloat their egos in an effort to delude themselves into believing otherwise. "Oh, I support such and such and use only such and such so everyone else is below me and therefor I have meaning and purpose and sitting on my butt playing video games is therefor not as bad as everyone thinks it is". It's an attempt at creating a hierarchy and then putting themselves at the top.

Do you know the name of this sub-forum?... your arguements seems kinda pointless.

If a systems games all look better, run better, and have mods - you can bet the fans of the system will brag.

People do that about every detail here.

Ringx55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Ringx55
Member since 2008 • 5967 Posts
Wat, isn't there a high risk involved with that?
Shinobi120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 Shinobi120
Member since 2004 • 5728 Posts

I'm tired of arguing with facts against people who near-sighted or totally blind for that matter.

Lets leave at this; if you like being tied down and able to play games; Play on a Console.

If you like having control of your things, able to play games, and have the largest amount of variety in gaming; Play on a PC.

Millions of $$$ in Marketing Does Not = A Good Game.

You can play on your PC with a controller and on TV while sitting on your nice couch.

I was successful in influencing my "close-minded" friend into getting a PC, after he was throwing a bunch of random, non-backed opinions, quite the same as many console-only gamers on System Wars. But Since then, his PS3 hasn't turned on, he sold his 360, and has been playing on his PC 24/7.ShadowDeathX

It's too bad that he'll be missing out on a ton of great games that aren't coming out to PC. I would've kept at least either a 360 or a PS3 console as backup.

Edit: Never mind, he still has his PS3 system.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#87 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts
I was half expecting a thread making fun of RROD and YLOD.
Leekspin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 Leekspin
Member since 2011 • 55 Posts

This is old news... I'm surprised ATI didn't fix it yet though.

Zaibach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 Zaibach
Member since 2007 • 13466 Posts

[QUOTE="Wii4Fun"]

[QUOTE="Chris_Williams"]

AncientDozer

LOL.

So true.

Because they bloat their egos in an effort to delude themselves into believing otherwise. "Oh, I support such and such and use only such and such so everyone else is below me and therefor I have meaning and purpose and sitting on my butt playing video games is therefor not as bad as everyone thinks it is". It's an attempt at creating a hierarchy and then putting themselves at the top.

yeah yu'd think they were piloting the USS Enterprise or something, instead of playing games, Guess what PC elitists you and wii players ar eon the same footing, youre both playing games, get over yourselves

ebluefie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 ebluefie
Member since 2011 • 129 Posts

[QUOTE="ShadowDeathX"]I'm tired of arguing with facts against people who near-sighted or totally blind for that matter.

Lets leave at this; if you like being tied down and able to play games; Play on a Console.

If you like having control of your things, able to play games, and have the largest amount of variety in gaming; Play on a PC.

Millions of $$$ in Marketing Does Not = A Good Game.

You can play on your PC with a controller and on TV while sitting on your nice couch.

I was successful in influencing my "close-minded" friend into getting a PC, after he was throwing a bunch of random, non-backed opinions, quite the same as many console-only gamers on System Wars. But Since then, he's PS3 hasn't turned on, he sold his 360, and has been playing on his PC 24/7.garland51

It's too bad that he'll be missing out on a ton of great games that aren't coming out to PC. I would've kept at least either a 360 or a PS3 console as backup.

I made this transition recently, consoles are ok, but PC is sooooo much better. I doubt I'll even care, seems like a 9.0 console game is really a 5.0 on PC, its a whole new world (4 months now). Steam FTW.
Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 Jankarcop

[QUOTE="AncientDozer"][QUOTE="Wii4Fun"]

LOL.

So true.

Zaibach

yeah yu'd think they were piloting the USS Enterprise or something, instead of playing games, Guess what PC elitists you and wii players ar eon the same footing, youre both playing games, get over yourselves

forums>systemwars>

rpgs_shall_rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 rpgs_shall_rule

Wat, isn't there a high risk involved with that?Ringx55

But the priiiiiiiiiiize...

In all seriousness, not really. From what I know, the 6950 is essentially a 6970 downclocked to 6950 specs (with a slightly different PCB I think). Unlocking it to 6970 isn't that bad, but overclocking it further when it's not meant to support 6970 voltages and stuff is probably not a smart idea.

If you don't want to flash to 6970 specs, I believe there's a BIOS that just unlocks all the shaders.

Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 Xtasy26

[QUOTE="Xtasy26"]

[QUOTE="lowe0"] Having seen the difference between PC and console first-hand on quite a few titles, I simply don't see the massive difference that you do. It's a nice increase, but not a deciding factor for me.

lowe0

Yes. Having seen it with my own eyes, I do not find the difference to be as significant as the numbers would imply. That's on a 55" Samsung LCD vs. a 22" Samsung LCD, though I sit much closer to the monitor, such that it actually sweeps a larger visual arc than the TV.

If you sit up close on a monitor going from 720P to 1080P is even more obvious. Even on a larger big screen it is more prevalent. Basically you are talking something in low rez such as 720P and blowing it up in a bigger screen like a 50"+ big screen.

Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 Xtasy26

[QUOTE="Xtasy26"]

[QUOTE="osan0"]and its working fine under stress TC? maybe i should try flashing my 5850 with a 5870 bios. .....er then again maybe not for now at least.ronvalencia

The real XFX HD 6970 can be overclocked further.

It is possible to do it on the modded ones too. You have to increase the voltage.

Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 Xtasy26

[QUOTE="Xtasy26"]

[QUOTE="AiurProtoss"]have fun when it explodes.ronvalencia

AMD didn't forget about "hard locking" i.e. refer to Radeon HD 69X0's dual BIOS feature. The limit is the power supply and power connector issues.

Some 6950 includes 6970's 8 pin + 6 pin power connectors. 6950's (~225 watts) 6 pin power + 6 pin power connectors could be an issue i.e. additional load on the power rails when running 6970 mode.

There's rumors about them "hard locking" in the future.

789shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 789shadow
Member since 2006 • 20195 Posts

I didn't understand any of the technical stuff in the OP.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#97 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
Member since 2008 • 17476 Posts
I was half expecting a thread making fun of RROD and YLOD. Blabadon
When our graphics cards die of microfracturing we can repair them :P
Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 Xtasy26

why does it hurt your feelings so much that people enjoy console gaming or god forbid prefer it?:?

Zaibach

No, why would it hurt my feelings? I have a superiour platform that is far more flexible than consoles. :?

Guess what PC elitists you and wii players ar eon the same footing, youre both playing games, get over yourselves

Zaibach

Some of us don't want to "play games" in consoles lame 720P instead of playing games in FULL HD 1080P. Just like people prefer to watch movies in Blu-ray 1080P instead of watching movies in DVD.

lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 lowe0
[QUOTE="Xtasy26"]

[QUOTE="lowe0"][QUOTE="Xtasy26"]

If you sit up close on a monitor going from 720P to 1080P is even more obvious. Even on a larger big screen it is more prevalent. Basically you are talking something in low rez such as 720P and blowing it up in a bigger screen like a 50"+ big screen.

Where exactly are you going with this? I expressed an opinion. I discussed the relevant experience from which I have formed that opinion. Repeating that 720p is a "low" resolution over and over isn't going to make the games I play at that resolution less enjoyable.
ducati101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 ducati101
Member since 2004 • 1741 Posts
Isin't 1080p on PC so yesterday now? I thought we went past that already? I currently game at 1600p (2560x1600) on a lovely 30" Dell Monitor, makes 1080p look old now. If 1080p is full HD, what is 1600p?