This is what I LOVE about PC GAMING Hardware that Consoles can only dream of....

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

User Lists: 0

#1 Xtasy26
Member since 2008 • 5582 Posts

Not only can we MOD games in PC's but in some rare cases we could MOD hardware to a hardware that costs up to $100 more than the original cost of the hardware. Just like I modded my XFX HD 6950 to a HD 6970!

As you can see from the above screenshot, after the BIOS FLASH my old HD 6950 (on the right) is now a brand new HD 6970 (on the left). My BIOS flashed HD 6950 now has the same specs as a HD 6970. All the shader cores have been unlocked to 1536. Pixel Fillrate is now 28.2 Gpixels/s, Texture Fillrate is now 84.5 GTexel/s, Bandwidth is now that of a HD 6970 at 176 GB/s. The GPU clock is now that of a HD 6970 which is 880 MHz and the Memory clock is also that of a HD 6970 which is 1375 MHz.

So, for the price of a HD 6950 I got a XFX HD 6970. Which means I saved $100! It's easily the best piece of gaming or PC Hardware that I ever brought!

The picture below shows the disabled HD 6950 shaders in red. When unlocked, these deactivated units become active, resulting in a substantial performance increase in games in FULL HD 1080P at 8XEQAA and 16X Anistrophic Filtering.

So, I saved $100 and got a full-fledged XFX HD 6970:

In other words:

I brought a Lamborghini Murcielago:

and turned it into a Lamborghini Reventon:

Could I have MODDED and unlocked new pixel pipelines in the RSX or the Xenos GPU's that are in the PS3 and Xbox 360 so I could get much better performance in gaming? Didin't think so. This what I LOVE about PC GAMING. :D

MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 MFDOOM1983
Member since 2010 • 8465 Posts
Moding is bad. Console manufacturers told me so.
Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Chris_Williams
Member since 2009 • 14882 Posts

okay then... when are people going to realize pc and console gamers do the exact same thing? they just sit on their butts and play videogames i don't see the difference..

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61511 Posts

The amount of hardware customization for PC's is astounding, and a definite advantage over consoles. Still I would never give up my consoles for that extra performance from PC (such as, using the money I would pay for my consoles to upgrade said PC). My 4870/e8400 still chugs along nicely (though desperately needs upgrading :P).

Can't wait 'til my school starts to slow down and I can invest more money into upgrading my rig.

Wii4Fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Wii4Fun
Member since 2008 • 1472 Posts

okay then... when are people going to realize pc and console gamers do the exact same thing? they just sit on their butts and play videogames i don't see the difference..

Chris_Williams

LOL.

So true.

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

I've never bought that a reason for PC gaming -- modding and overclocking and whatnot. Did installing Natural Mod 2009 for STALKER make it more enjoyable and much better looking experience? Sure, but just being able to chill on my couch and play my 360 or PS3 makes them the more immediate choice for me.

But thats just me.

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts
Eww Street Fighter 4 PC =p
WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 WreckEm711
Member since 2010 • 7362 Posts

[QUOTE="Chris_Williams"]

Wii4Fun

LOL.

So true.

Untrue! I own a Wii and thus I play standing up sometimes ;) (I agree completely with the message of your post though haha)

Blacklight2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#9 Blacklight2
Member since 2007 • 1212 Posts

I've never bought that a reason for PC gaming -- modding and overclocking and whatnot. Did installing Natural Mod 2009 for STALKER make it more enjoyable and much better looking experience? Sure, but just being able to chill on my couch and play my 360 or PS3 makes them the more immediate choice for me.

But thats just me.

R3FURBISHED
You can't sit on your couch and play your PC with a 360 controller?
UC3Drake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 UC3Drake
Member since 2010 • 453 Posts

[QUOTE="Wii4Fun"]

[QUOTE="Chris_Williams"]

WreckEm711

LOL.

So true.

Untrue! I own a Wii and thus I play standing up sometimes ;) (I agree completely with the message of your post though haha)

Real men do it diagonally 8).

TheMoreYouOwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 TheMoreYouOwn
Member since 2010 • 3927 Posts

[QUOTE="Chris_Williams"]

Wii4Fun

LOL.

So true.

So so true.

Wii4Fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Wii4Fun
Member since 2008 • 1472 Posts

[QUOTE="R3FURBISHED"]

But thats just me.

Blacklight2

But..but...M/KB is superior! Why play with the inferior control?!

PC games are made for the superior control!!

Pug-Nasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Pug-Nasty
Member since 2009 • 8508 Posts

I have a feeling that someone who could buy that first Lamborghini isn't hurting for cash in the first place. Probably could have bought the nicer one just by moving some stuff around.

MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MFDOOM1983

[QUOTE="Blacklight2"][QUOTE="R3FURBISHED"]

But thats just me.

Wii4Fun

But..but...M/KB is superior! Why play with the inferior control?!

PC games are made for the superior control!!

Every input set-up is not perfect for every genre. Luckily, i don't have this issue on pc.
R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 R3FURBISHED

[QUOTE="R3FURBISHED"]

But thats just me.

Blacklight2

1. I'm not lugging my full tower into my living room and hooking it up to my TV.
  2. I cannot "relax" and play a PC game, I have to be sitting up straight in my chair and playing.
  3. I may prefer the controller over keyboard/mouse but I cannot play PC games without them -- last time I tried a console controller with PC game was Halo: Combat Evolved back in 2003 and it didn't work. Kinda bizarro there, but it is what it is

PC and consoles are too diferent of beasts for me. Plus, my PC is always going to be a computer before a video game player...even if I built mine with gaming in mind.

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#16 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

[QUOTE="WreckEm711"]

[QUOTE="Wii4Fun"]

LOL.

So true.

UC3Drake

Real men do it diagonally 8).

yeah like saxton hale..

Zurrur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Zurrur
Member since 2009 • 1701 Posts

Too bad most games are console exclusive :(

MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MFDOOM1983

But thats just me.

R3FURBISHED

1. I'm not lugging my full tower into my living room and hooking it up to my TV.
  2. I cannot "relax" and play a PC game, I have to be sitting up straight in my chair and playing.
  3. I may prefer the controller over keyboard/mouse but I cannot play PC games without them -- last time I tried a console controller with PC game was Halo: Combat Evolved back in 2003 and it didn't work. Kinda bizarro there, but it is what it is

PC and consoles are too diferent of beasts for me. Plus as I said, my PC is always going to be a computer before a video game player...even if I built mine with gaming in mind.

Perhaps yo should update your experiences?
TehSonofUgly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 TehSonofUgly
Member since 2008 • 1643 Posts

I have a feeling that someone who could buy that first Lamborghini isn't hurting for cash in the first place. Probably could have bought the nicer one just by moving some stuff around.

Pug-Nasty
Murcielago = $350,000 Reventon = $2.5 mil (And they only made something like 20 of them)
R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 R3FURBISHED

[QUOTE="R3FURBISHED"]

[QUOTE="Blacklight2"] You can't sit on your couch and play your PC with a 360 controller?MFDOOM1983

PC and consoles are too diferent of beasts for me. Plus as I said, my PC is always going to be a computer before a video game player...even if I built mine with gaming in mind.

Perhaps yo should update your experiences?

Cosa? Experiences?

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23944 Posts

Zurrur

Which is why the most quality games are exclusive to the PC. PC>PS3+360+Wii: 180>40+37+70.

Zurrur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Zurrur

[QUOTE="Zurrur"]

Maroxad

Which is why the most quality games are exclusive to the PC. PC>PS3+360+Wii: 180>40+37+70.

Good for you if you enjoy indie games and expansion sets, i like quality games

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 lundy86_4

Zurrur

Can't indie games or expansions be quality games?

MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 MFDOOM1983

[QUOTE="Maroxad"]

[QUOTE="Zurrur"]

Zurrur

Expansions with more content than the majority of $60 on consoles at a cheaper price point.8)

I didnt know gs scored indie games.

theuncharted34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 theuncharted34
Member since 2010 • 14529 Posts

except you can do the same dam thing to a console. why you would want to though, I have no idea.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17839 Posts
and its working fine under stress TC? maybe i should try flashing my 5850 with a 5870 bios. .....er then again maybe not for now at least.
Zurrur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Zurrur

[QUOTE="Zurrur"]

lundy86_4

Nope, but thats just what i think

Good for you if you enjoy them, cos i don't

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#28 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

But thats just me.

R3FURBISHED

PC and consoles are too diferent of beasts for me. Plus, my PC is always going to be a computer before a video game player...even if I built mine with gaming in mind.

lol!
I played Fall new Vegas last night on my couch on my 50" tv with a 360 controller on my pc.

On PC you can use a controller for 99% of the games, or a keyboard and mouse, or aps2 controller, or a ps3 controller or a xbox360 controller. Your options are unlimited.

How can you NOT relax and play a pc game? Sit in the same couch as your console gaming, use the same controller (xbox360), dont see whats so hard? Its exactly the same thing.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 lundy86_4

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

[QUOTE="Zurrur"]

Zurrur

Nope, but thats just what i think

Good for you if you enjoy them, cos i don't

Fair enough, I won't try and change your mind. Still, they can be quality regardless, and can often offer more content and play time than many full releases. Leaving them out seems to only benefit your argument, which is no doubt why you want to do it.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23944 Posts

I got to say that is a smart thing, nice discount.

Zurrur

A lot of those expansion packs have more content than most 60$ console games. Also since when arent high scoring indie games quality? Some of my favorite games this gen are indie.

ebluefie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ebluefie
Member since 2011 • 129 Posts

[QUOTE="Maroxad"]

[QUOTE="Zurrur"]

Zurrur

So why do you play on console? 99% of consoles games are on a superior platform, PC. With BF3 more/less exclusive, and Witcher 2, the tide is turning. PC reigns supreme.
R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 R3FURBISHED

lol!
I played Fall new Vegas last night on my couch on my 50" tv with a 360 controller on my pc.

On PC you can use a controller for 99% of the games, or a keyboard and mouse, or aps2 controller, or a ps3 controller or a xbox360 controller. Your options are unlimited.

How can you NOT relax and play a pc game? Sit in the same couch as your console gaming, use the same controller (xbox360), dont see whats so hard? Its exactly the same thing.

kozzy1234

This may be difficult to grasp - but try anyways. I don't play games like you do! *shocking!*

I am more than aware of controllers being used to play games on the PC but I do not use them for PC games. I play my PC games in a straight backed chair at my desk, thats how it is.

ebluefie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ebluefie

[QUOTE="R3FURBISHED"]

[QUOTE="Blacklight2"] You can't sit on your couch and play your PC with a 360 controller?kozzy1234

I'm not lugging my full tower into my living room and hooking it up to my TV.I cannot "relax" and play a PC game, I have to be sitting up straight in my chair and playing.I may prefer the controller over keyboard/mouse but I cannot play PC games without them -- last time I tried a console controller with PC game was Halo: Combat Evolved back in 2003 and it didn't work. Kinda bizarro there, but it is what it is

lol!

While 1920x1080 is definitely fail, you at least could play at true HD - versus the upscaled lolsoles.
theuncharted34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 theuncharted34
Member since 2010 • 14529 Posts

[QUOTE="Zurrur"]

[QUOTE="Maroxad"]

ebluefie

So why do you play on console? 99% of consoles games are on a superior platform, PC. With BF3 more/less exclusive, and Witcher 2, the tide is turning. PC reigns supreme.

ah... only on system wars.

UC3Drake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 UC3Drake
Member since 2010 • 453 Posts

[QUOTE="Zurrur"]

[QUOTE="Maroxad"]

ebluefie

PPC doesnt have Uncharted, MGS4, or Demon Souls. Until then, my PS3 is my child.PC, though amazing, is just for an update in graphics .

DeckardLee2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 DeckardLee2010
Member since 2010 • 402 Posts

Zurrur

Untrue, but, even if it were, PC plays console exclusives too :D

ebluefie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ebluefie

[QUOTE="ebluefie"][QUOTE="Zurrur"]

UC3Drake

PPC doesnt have Uncharted, MGS4, or Demon Souls. Until then, my PS3 is my child.PC, though amazing, is just for an update in graphics .

I agree with you there, owning a lolsole for the exclusives is a necessity. But I'll moan about it on SW, because the pain of lolsoling gets to be a little much sometimes.
Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

[QUOTE="Maroxad"]

[QUOTE="Zurrur"]

Zurrur

PC has the most AAA-AA retail games this gen.... :|

It also has double the exclusives than any single console, after taking out "indies and expansions" for your sake.

lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 lowe0
Member since 2004 • 13692 Posts
Let us know how that lifetime hardware warranty works out after you've modified the firmware.
Zurrur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Zurrur

[QUOTE="Zurrur"]

[QUOTE="Maroxad"]

Jankarcop

It also has double the exclusives than any single console, after taking out "indies and expansions" for your sake.

Not a fan of MMORPGS and RTS games either but if you like them good for you

My top 5 games this gen are all console exclusives, there haven't been single good exclusive game on PC this gen IMO

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 lundy86_4

Let us know how that lifetime hardware warranty works out after you've modified the firmware.lowe0

I'm assuming TC isn't worried about the warranty :?

KiZZo1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 KiZZo1
Member since 2007 • 3989 Posts

I'm not familiar with this particular case, so I might be wrong, but usually, when a part of a chip is locked or used at lower settings, it's due to problems found during QA. Otherwise it would be sold as the other product. So good luck with your card.

And have fun with all the new games that will now run and previously couldn't. Oh, wait ...

Avatar image for rpgs_shall_rule
rpgs_shall_rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 rpgs_shall_rule
Member since 2006 • 1943 Posts

[QUOTE="lowe0"]Let us know how that lifetime hardware warranty works out after you've modified the firmware.lundy86_4

I'm assuming TC isn't worried about the warranty :?

XFX's warranty covers OCing :D

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 lundy86_4

XFX's warranty covers OCing :D

rpgs_shall_rule

TC didn't just overclock. They also flashed the firmware to that of a 6870. I dunno if that is covered under their lifetime warranties, due to it unlocking what manufacturers locked in order to produce a better yield.

AiurProtoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 AiurProtoss
Member since 2010 • 1080 Posts
have fun when it explodes.
Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#46 Xtasy26
Member since 2008 • 5582 Posts

But thats just me.

R3FURBISHED

LOL what? How can you not "relax" and play a PC game? I feel fine when I play a PC game. I have my gaming tower in my living room hooked up to my 50" Plasma. I game in full HD 1080P much better than consoles 720P crap. The game looks beautiful in FULL HD 1080P with 8XEQAA AND 16X Anistrophic Filtering. I sit on my couch and play with my wireless keyboard and mouse. You could always use a Xbox 360 controller on the PC.

Snakemaster9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Snakemaster9
Member since 2010 • 1420 Posts

I love MMOS so.. PC FTW

Guild Wars 2 24 hour party when i get it

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

[QUOTE="Jankarcop"]

[QUOTE="Zurrur"]

Zurrur

Not a fan of MMORPGS and RTS games either but if you like them good for you

My top 5 games this gen are all console exclusives, there haven't been single good exclusive game on PC this gen IMO

atleast you put IMO this time.

mejiseike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 mejiseike
Member since 2011 • 530 Posts

waste of money

PCs are for... IN ORDER

Music/getting music