The lobby: horizon has a far cry structure and is like far cry primal (in a way)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

They mention the far cry structure below in the first clip, I let it start from the moment they referred to far cry, the reference only lasts like a 15 seconds, so you can go on to the next clip if you don't want to watch everything (the second clip is from the same video but it starts at the time they made that second reference to far cry)

around the 8 minute mark they mention it is like far cry primal in a way...

Your thoughts sw?

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 commander

No thoughts on having this many similarities with far cry? ubisofts far cry?

carlquincy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 carlquincy
Member since 2012 • 391 Posts

Its not a big news really. Almost all the reviews, esp from Kinda Funny, touched on it.

The general consensus is that Horizon implemented the formula in an innovative and refreshing way.

Primorandomguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4 Primorandomguy
Member since 2014 • 3368 Posts

To be honest after a while, I think people are going to think this game isn't that great.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#5 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58950 Posts

@primorandomguy said:

To be honest after a while, I think people are going to think this game isn't that great.

As with a good 60 - 70% of games.

smashed_pinata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 smashed_pinata
Member since 2005 • 3747 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:
@primorandomguy said:

Yup most games are crap these days. It's the initial buzz that get's people to inflate scores, as well as visual fidelity. After all, humans are a very visual species.

Horizon is no different in both cases.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

I love far cry so it's fine for me. Sucks for all the hypocrites in SW who are gonna have to flip flop once again and praise what is basically a Ubisoft game when they've been crying about Ubisoft for years

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By commander

@uninspiredcup said:
@primorandomguy said:

yeah but that's only because of the rehashed crap we get all the time. This is supposed to be something new. Yet they're talking like the similarities with far cry is a good thing. These are actually the most bothersome things about far cry, the outposts, the fetch quests, as far as open worlds go, far cry is the worst. I'm not talking about the first one of course, the second was't too bad either but after that it went severly downhill.

ellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ellos
Member since 2015 • 2532 Posts
@commander said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@primorandomguy said:

yeah but that's only because of the rehashed crap we get all the time. This is supposed to be something new. Yet they're talking like the similarities with far cry is a good thing. These are actually the most bothersome things about far cry, the outposts, the fetch quests, as far as open worlds go, far cry is the worst. I'm not talking about the first one of course, the second was't too bad either but after that it went severly downhill.

New in name and look and feel that is how video games are these days even the great ones really. I like the impression I got from giantbomb's podcast. Basically its easy to pick it apart as yet another open world game but It brings refinements and a fresh approach to all these systems that makes it great. Its world, character and combat seems fantastic.

KillzoneSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#10  Edited By KillzoneSnake
Member since 2012 • 2761 Posts

Horizon is a much better structure of Far Cry. Any giant machine of Horizon is more interesting and cool than anything in the garbage that is Far Cry.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#11 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34602 Posts

Yeah, that's what I thought myself after watching gameplay. I fucking hate FarCry. Ubisoft's FarCry, that is. Such lazy game design.

Dakur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Dakur
Member since 2014 • 3275 Posts

@primorandomguy: "To be honest after a while, I think people are going to think this game isn't that great."

That's because you're a lem and were hoping this to flop like Failo Wars 2 and now that it didn't you desperately need an excuse to bash it. Deal with it lem, the game is better than everything in the Flopbone combined.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c18005f903a1
deactivated-5c18005f903a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5c18005f903a1
Member since 2016 • 4626 Posts

People will be saying the same about Zelda BotW when it gets reviewed. It borrows a lot of the far cry open world stuff. Towers, camps, hunting etc...

ribhu672

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ribhu672
Member since 2014 • 173 Posts

This game is like shadow of mordor in a way that both were new ip,both don't add anything new to gameplay(though shadow of mordor had nemesis system don't know anything about horizon but it doesn't look like it has anything new,robot dinousaur maybe?) but still their gamepay feel fresh and unique.And both were critically acclaimed. Shadow of mordor was GOTY so it's pretty assuring that this game will also be GOTY.

HitmanActual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 HitmanActual
Member since 2013 • 1351 Posts

I really liked Far Cry Primal so I'm fine if it's similar. Same as people saying it's like Shadow of Mordor, I liked that game as well so it's a win win for me.

Can't wait to play it.

Pray_to_me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Pray_to_me
Member since 2011 • 4041 Posts

Looks great. Lemmings can go play FarCry and pretend it's Horizon. That's the life of a Lemming. Always crying, always pretending, always waiting, always hating.

Dakur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Dakur

@Pray_to_me said:

Looks great. Lemmings can go play FarCry and pretend it's Horizon. That's the life of a Lemming. Always crying, always pretending, always waiting, always hating.

Lol so true, they always do that. I remember last gen when they bought Dante's Inferno to pretend it was God of War and they were actually claiming it was better. Poor bastards.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#18 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I like the far cry series so I'm sure I will like Horizon too

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 commander

@dakur said:
@Pray_to_me said:

Lol so true, they always do that. I remember last gen when they bought Dante's Inferno to pretend it was God of War and they were actually claiming it was better. Poor bastards.

far cry and god war are shit games, so is dante's inferno btw.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@commander said:

Gears copy from Killswitch,Forza from GT,Halo from several FPS including half life and you say nothing.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 commander

@tormentos said:
@commander said:

Gears copy from Killswitch,Forza from GT,Halo from several FPS including half life and you say nothing.

those weren't shit games

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@commander said:

those weren't shit games

Killswitch was and is irrelevant to the point as Horizon isn't,just like Gears,Forza and halo weren't.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#23 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17426 Posts

@commander said:

Its completely fine when Sony does it.

Joking aside, Im playing Far Cry Primal now and im having a hard time following it.

I get that they wanted to create immersion by having the characters speak in a tribal language with subtitles, but you lose a ton of the subtleties because you are busy ready when you should be watching the characters. Why go all out with the character designs only to have the player read the whole game? Basically makes the game boring.

Really looking forward to Horizon even more if it is like Primal with robots and english voice acting.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

@tormentos: The problem isn't that they copy a game. The problem is that they copy Far Cry and it is shit. Gran Turismo was a fantastic game. Killswitch was innovative and Halo takes the good elements of the fps it copies. Far Cry is shit.

Dakur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Dakur
@Juub1990 said:

@tormentos: The problem isn't that they copy a game. The problem is that they copy Far Cry and it is shit. Gran Turismo was a fantastic game. Killswitch was innovative and Halo takes the good elements of the fps it copies. Far Cry is shit.

So it's a good thing that GG finally stepped up to make it good.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56095 Posts

@navyguy21 said:
@commander said:

Its completely fine when Sony does it.

Joking aside, Im playing Far Cry Primal now and im having a hard time following it.

I get that they wanted to create immersion by having the characters speak in a tribal language with subtitles, but you lose a ton of the subtleties because you are busy ready when you should be watching the characters. Why go all out with the character designs only to have the player read the whole game? Basically makes the game boring.

Really looking forward to Horizon even more if it is like Primal with robots and english voice acting.

The only difference is, Primal is set in 10,000 BC for real and Horizon: Zero Dawn is set in it's own 10,000 BC (ZD setting is 1,000 years) in a futuristic way replacing prehistoric beast with Dinobots is what I'm seeing for Zero Dawn.

I played and enjoy Far Cry 3 & 4 but never got the chance to play Primal so I'm sure I'll be enjoying Zero Dawn next week. The combat however seems to borrow from Witcher 3.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44061 Posts

Horizon: Cows Cry Far... it is then. :P

speedfog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#28 speedfog
Member since 2009 • 4966 Posts

Can't remember who said it and who reacted but one fella here on SW said before the game released that it looks like Primal in third person. Followed b a fanboy saying it's nothing like that just because robot animals.

Look at it now.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

The zelda comparisons were so foolish. There are no dungeons or puzzles in Horizon. Far Cry Primal seems spot on.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56095 Posts

@Bread_or_Decide said:

The zelda comparisons were so foolish. There are no dungeons or puzzles in Horizon. Far Cry Primal seems spot on.

It never cross my mind seeing Zero Dawn as a Breath of the Wild wannabe from the start, I didn't see the resemblance besides the open-world but other then that, no similarities. Hell I didn't see this game as a Zelda killer lol, what nonsense that is by fanboy logic.

Phazevariance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Phazevariance
Member since 2003 • 12356 Posts

I loved FC3 and FC4, but Primal was really bad, both gameplay and graphics wise, like a step backwards for the series. I hope Horizon is not too much like Primal.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By commander

@Phazevariance said:

I loved FC3 and FC4, but Primal was really bad, both gameplay and graphics wise, like a step backwards for the series. I hope Horizon is not too much like Primal.

so primal is even worse than fc3 and fc4? because that weren't good games at all. I mean enemies respawning almost in front of you, most boring quests ever, out of place characters, watered down crysis graphics, and animals so stupid I could hear the aliens in crysis weep.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

I've seen a lot of reviews and videos for Horizon. Normally I would avoid this if I was thinking of buying a game but I wasn't sold on Horizon at all, right from the beginning. I was convinced it was another Ubi style open world boreathon full of worthless collectible nonsense but every single review and commentary I have seen has said it does things we've seen before in many open world games but does all of them much, much better.

That was enough to sell me on a game I had already decided I just had no interest in. Oh, and I like Far Cry 4 as well (never played 3) so if this is a much better version of that I'm okay with it all.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#34 GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9728 Posts

Can Far Cry Primal do this?

https://youtu.be/VQ7W5RSm2Gg

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#35 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

Far Cry Primal would comfortably have been my favourite entry into the series were I not burned out a little by them at the time. I still enjoyed it though because of the setting. If they had kept the game in the present and moved locations I would have thought it stale.

The setting change for this game will also keep it fresh enough I suspect.