The Legend of Zelda vs Final Fantasy

This topic is locked from further discussion.

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151 hakanakumono
Member since 2008 • 27455 Posts

[QUOTE="minh800"]

[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"]So I'm guessing your one of those people that thinks that every zelda is the same game no matter what right?

Shinobishyguy

No, I'm the guy that says that Zelda, so far, feels like the same game just repackaged with different bows and ribbons. Not no matter what. If Nintendo outsourced it to someone who can actually do a rebranding of the series, it can be something very different and very cool.

So majora's mask and wind waker are the same game as zelda for the NES, but with different packaging? k, gotcha.

I think it's fair to say that the N64 era really did change things up, but Wind Waker and Twilight Princess? Both seemed pretty generic to me. Wind Waker to the point that I couldn't bring myself to keep playing it.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#152 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts

[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"][QUOTE="minh800"]

No, I'm the guy that says that Zelda, so far, feels like the same game just repackaged with different bows and ribbons. Not no matter what. If Nintendo outsourced it to someone who can actually do a rebranding of the series, it can be something very different and very cool.

hakanakumono

So majora's mask and wind waker are the same game as zelda for the NES, but with different packaging? k, gotcha.

I think it's fair to say that the N64 era really did change things up, but Wind Waker and Twilight Princess? Both seemed pretty generic to me. Wind Waker to the point that I couldn't bring myself to keep playing it.

TP was pretty generic as far as zeldas go, that I'll give you

As for WW, The combination of setting and the new art style made it feel like it had a true identity of it;s own.

ShuichiChamp24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#153 ShuichiChamp24
Member since 2009 • 5014 Posts

[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"][QUOTE="minh800"]

hakanakumono

You feel the same way about JRPG's too no? Disgaea and so?
hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154 hakanakumono

[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"] So majora's mask and wind waker are the same game as zelda for the NES, but with different packaging? k, gotcha.ShuichiChamp24

You feel the same way about JRPG's too no? Disgaea and so?

Uh, no?

erwingameon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155 erwingameon
Member since 2004 • 202 Posts

[QUOTE="erwingameon"]

[QUOTE="minh800"]

Final Fantasy 6 vs Spirit Tracks poll?

I'd vote for FF6 over that bore fest.

minh800

That's your perogative, but i have yet to see a FF game that actually lives up to the hype. All the FF games i played had lame genaric characters, liniar level design, boring gameplay fighting the same random enemies over and over again. At least the CGI cutscenes look great in FF, but the rest is nothing special really.

Haha, there's not much variety with enemies in LoZ dungeons (and you can kill most the same way), the combat is pretty boring and simple even when they tried to incorporate sword skills (i.e. the action part of LoZ is godawful), Link has no personality and the other characters are poorly developed, too many soundtracks are reused/repurposed in different games, and the games are very repetitive with the puzzles being boring and frustrating - there's little guidance in solving them.

If you're talking about CGI, I doubt you've played FF6.

Lol, sounds to me that you've never played a Zelda game before. And i've never had any trouble solving the puzzles in any Zelda game. And some puzzles are supposed to be diffucult. If the game already tells you what to do to solve them then what's the point of having puzzles anyway. Just cause your not smart enough to solve them doesn't mean they are not good.

And talk about boring and repetetive, FF13 is basicly just a button mashing game. All i had to do is run forward, encounter some enemies, and then just keep pressing the same buttons to defeat them. Yaaaawn.

minh800

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156 minh800
Member since 2011 • 1166 Posts

[QUOTE="minh800"]

[QUOTE="erwingameon"]

That's your perogative, but i have yet to see a FF game that actually lives up to the hype. All the FF games i played had lame genaric characters, liniar level design, boring gameplay fighting the same random enemies over and over again. At least the CGI cutscenes look great in FF, but the rest is nothing special really.

erwingameon

Haha, there's not much variety with enemies in LoZ dungeons (and you can kill most the same way), the combat is pretty boring and simple even when they tried to incorporate sword skills (i.e. the action part of LoZ is godawful), Link has no personality and the other characters are poorly developed, too many soundtracks are reused/repurposed in different games, and the games are very repetitive with the puzzles being boring and frustrating - there's little guidance in solving them.

Lol, sounds to me that you've never played a Zelda game before. And i've never had any trouble solving the puzzles in any Zelda game. And some puzzles are supposed to be diffucult. If the game already tells you what to do to solve them then what's the point of having puzzles anyway. Just cause your not smart enough to solve them doesn't mean they are not good.

And talk about boring and repetetive, FF13 is basicly just a button mashing game. All i had to do is run forward, encounter some enemies, and then just keep pressing the same buttons to defeat them. Yaaaawn.

OoT, WW, TP, Oracles of Seasons/Ages, The Minish Cap, A link to the past, Phantom Hourglass, and Spirit Tracks are the LoZ games I've played. Little variety. A lot of enemies that are just color coded differently like the darknuts. Some of the puzzles are downright cheap. I'm not the only one who found many of them frustrating. While the game shouldn't hold your hand, at least like Portal 2, there should be some hints, clues, or guidance. Puzzles have to do with intelligence? No, sir, they do not. But I'm glad you feel the need to put yourself on an intellectual pedestal because you think so. Cudos, chap.

You pretty much explained every enemy fight in LoZ. The action part of the game is just laughable.

erwingameon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 erwingameon

[QUOTE="erwingameon"]

[QUOTE="minh800"]

minh800

OoT, WW, TP, Oracles of Seasons/Ages, The Minish Cap, A link to the past, Phantom Hourglass, and Spirit Tracks are the LoZ games I've played. Little variety. A lot of enemies that are just color coded differently like the darknuts. Some of the puzzles are downright cheap. I'm not the only one who found many of them frustrating. While the game shouldn't hold your hand, at least like Portal 2, there should be some hints, clues, or guidance. Puzzles have to do with intelligence? No, sir, they do not. But I'm glad you feel the need to put yourself on an intellectual pedestal because you think so. Cudos, chap.

You pretty much explained every enemy fight in LoZ. The action part of the game is just laughable.

Actually there are hints in Zelda. Wasn't there a fairy in OoT constantly telling where to go next and what to do. And I believe there was a dragon boat in Wind Waker that did the same. Plenty of help right there. But if that wasn't already enough for you, there are alway gamefaqs you can consult if you get stuck. But maybe you might want to consider playing all your games with a walkthough next to you since you don't want to use intelligence to solve things and want help every step of the way.

And puzzles do have to do with some level of intelligence. If it take no intelligence at all to solve them then i don't even see the need to put them in a game. Puzzles have to do with solving thing, and for solving things you need intellingence. So saying puzzle solving doesn't have to do with intelligence is downright stupid.

Lol, if i understand you correctly you also think the action in FF is laughable since it's the same as Zelda according to you. Glad we got that settled. Actually I think there isn't even any action to speak of in FF since i can walk away from my TV with the controller, go to another room and still defeat the enemies using a single button.

minh800

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158 minh800

[QUOTE="minh800"]

[QUOTE="erwingameon"]

erwingameon

Actually there are hints in Zelda. Wasn't there a fairy in OoT constantly telling where to go next and what to do. And I believe there was a dragon boat in Wind Waker that did the same. Plenty of help right there. But if that wasn't already enough for you, there are alway gamefaqs you can consult if you get stuck. But maybe you might want to consider playing all your games with a walkthough next to you since you don't want to use intelligence to solve things and want help every step of the way.

And puzzles do have to do with some level of intelligence. If it take no intelligence at all to solve them then i don't even see the need to put them in a game. Puzzles have to do with solving thing, and for solving things you need intellingence. So saying puzzle solving doesn't have to do with intelligence is downright stupid.

Lol, if i understand you correctly you also think the action in FF is laughable since it's the same as Zelda according to you. Glad we got that settled. Actually I think there isn't even any action to speak of in FF since i can walk away from my TV with the controller, go to another room and still defeat the enemies using a single button.

The boat was useless, the fairy - annoying. Remember how I already laughed at you for claiming intellectual superiority because you get puzzle games - that. It's a skill - not intelligence. Puzzles can be solved in a variety of ways it just depends on how your brain is wired. Some people are very adept at using spatial manipulation so certain puzzles are easier for them - it has nothing to with intelligence.

The main FF titles aren't action games. LoZ is an action-adventure game. The action portion is very poor. Good job proving nothing.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts

[QUOTE="erwingameon"]

[QUOTE="minh800"]

minh800

The boat was useless, the fairy - annoying. Remember how I already laughed at you for claiming intellectual superiority because you get puzzle games - that. It's a skill - not intelligence. Puzzles can be solved in a variety of ways it just depends on how your brain is wired. Some people are very adept at using spatial manipulation so certain puzzles are easier for them - it has nothing to with intelligence.

The main FF titles aren't action games. LoZ is an action-adventure game. The action portion is very poor. Good job proving nothing.

Y'know....It's not really the games fault that you can't pick up simple visual cues to solve puzzles.

erwingameon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 erwingameon

[QUOTE="erwingameon"]

[QUOTE="minh800"]

minh800

Your personal feelings about the hint system are completely besides the point as were talking about facts here. Fact is that there are hints in the Zelda games and just cause you can't figure them out you say they are useless or not there. That's pathetic on your part.

Lol, so your saying that someone with absolutely no intelligence can solve any puzzle. I don't know what planet you live on, but to solve a puzzle, no matter what kind or how difficult it is, you need some level of intelligence. And people with certain skills like you say also need to have intelligence to be able to have those skills and use them. It's only a matter of what level and what kind of intelligence people have. Even looking at a game puzzle on your tv and then deciding what button to press on your controller takes some degree of intelligence. If not then you wouldn't even be able to play the game.

Haha, so only action games can have action in them. That statement of yours is downright laughable. But if you want to play it that way. The RPG portion of FF is crap, and seeing as FF is an RPG I guess that makes the entire FF games crap. Good job and thanks for proving yourself that FF sucks.

Grawse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 Grawse
Member since 2010 • 4342 Posts

Not even close, Zelda. This isn't the 90's anymore.

minh800

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 minh800

[QUOTE="minh800"]

[QUOTE="erwingameon"]

erwingameon

Your personal feelings about the hint system are completely besides the point as were talking about facts here. Fact is that there are hints in the Zelda games and just cause you can't figure them out you say they are useless or not there. That's pathetic on your part.

Lol, so your saying that someone with absolutely no intelligence can solve any puzzle. I don't know what planet you live on, but to solve a puzzle, no matter what kind or how difficult it is, you need some level of intelligence. And people with certain skills like you say also need to have intelligence to be able to have those skills and use them. It's only a matter of what level and what kind of intelligence people have. Even looking at a game puzzle on your tv and then deciding what button to press on your controller takes some degree of intelligence. If not then you wouldn't even be able to play the game.

Haha, so only action games can have action in them. That statement of yours is downright laughable. But if you want to play it that way. The RPG portion of FF is crap, and seeing as FF is an RPG I guess that makes the entire FF games crap. Good job and thanks for proving yourself that FF sucks.

The boat didn't really help you. It was useless with solving puzzles.

No intelligence? They have to be able to comprehend situations. I wouldn't call that intelligence, though. It's a skill, it has nothing to do with intelligence. You have to be smart enough to function but that's about all there is to it.

Turn-based games aren't action packed. Soooorrrryyyy. Games that are in real time should have some action to them which usually makes them an action something game. The RPG portion is fine.

Haha, thanks for proving FF sucks? Because it's turn-based? Oh, wow, that definitely sucks oh right!

minh800

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 minh800

[QUOTE="minh800"]

[QUOTE="erwingameon"]

Shinobishyguy

Y'know....It's not really the games fault that you can't pick up simple visual cues to solve puzzles.

What visual cues?

BIOKILLER123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 BIOKILLER123
Member since 2010 • 1071 Posts

[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"]

[QUOTE="minh800"]

minh800

What visual cues?

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/intelligence

If this won't convince you then nothing will.

minh800

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 minh800

[QUOTE="minh800"]

[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"]Y'know....It's not really the games fault that you can't pick up simple visual cues to solve puzzles.

BIOKILLER123

What visual cues?

Convince me of what? I know plenty of people who are oblivious to many things. Smartest guy I know couldn't even tell that someone was interested in him. That doesn't mean he's stupid - he's just oblivious.

BIOKILLER123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 BIOKILLER123
Member since 2010 • 1071 Posts

[QUOTE="BIOKILLER123"]

[QUOTE="minh800"]

What visual cues?

minh800

Convince me of what? I know plenty of people who are oblivious to many things. Smartest guy I know couldn't even tell that someone was interested in him. That doesn't mean he's stupid - he's just oblivious.

I'll leave you alone with the "no intelligence" claim.

erwingameon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 erwingameon

[QUOTE="erwingameon"]

[QUOTE="minh800"]

minh800

The boat didn't really help you. It was useless with solving puzzles.

No intelligence? They have to be able to comprehend situations. I wouldn't call that intelligence, though. It's a skill, it has nothing to do with intelligence. You have to be smart enough to function but that's about all there is to it.

Turn-based games aren't action packed. Soooorrrryyyy. Games that are in real time should have some action to them which usually makes them an action something game. The RPG portion is fine.

Haha, thanks for proving FF sucks? Because it's turn-based? Oh, wow, that definitely sucks oh right!

Again you use your personal feelings about the hint system and not the facts. (You have to be smart enough to function) In this sentence you proved my point. You can't be smart if you don't have intelligence. And the other claim you make (that being able to comprehend situations is not intelligence) is completely ludicrous. But if you want to be ignorent and delude yourself that's your choice.

No action in turn based games. Wow that makes them pretty boring then. Another reason you've given why FF is worse than Zelda. Thanks again.

And way to twist my words to suit your flawed arguments. Since i didn't say that FF sucks cause it's turn-based, but was merely following your own logic that cause FF is an RPG and the RPG portion of the games is crap the entire games are crap. Actually i haven't used the term turn-based in any of my posts so i don't know how you can even respond to something i haven't mentioned period.

I look forward to reading more of your flawed arguments and twisted quotes in another of your failed attemps to prove your point.

Tykain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 Tykain
Member since 2008 • 3887 Posts
Even though the quality of FF games has dropped in recent years, i haven't been interested in a Zelda game since OoT, so to me FF > Zelda. Maybe if Nintendo would make an action RPG with new characters, story etc it would get my interest. Zelda has been too much milked as far as i'm concerned, i just grew bored of it. The FF series has had a lot of games, but at least it's always a completely different setting, story, characters, different game mechanics etc that kept it fresh to me. Same dev, is under the same name, same genre, but completely different games aside from a few recurrent elements.
hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 hakanakumono

Even though the quality of FF games has dropped in recent years, i haven't been interested in a Zelda game since OoT, so to me FF > Zelda. Maybe if Nintendo would make an action RPG with new characters, story etc it would get my interest. Zelda has been too much milked as far as i'm concerned, i just grew bored of it. The FF series has had a lot of games, but at least it's always a completely different setting, story, characters, different game mechanics etc that kept it fresh to me. Same dev, is under the same name, same genre, but completely different games aside from a few recurrent elements.Tykain

I'd like to see Zelda introduce a new character and an RE like system to go with it, where you play one half of the game as one character and the other half as another. And then, maybe for the sake of it being a Zelda game, have the option to choose your character for the final arc. What if you played as Zelda, for example?

mmmwksil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 mmmwksil
Member since 2003 • 16423 Posts

Why is there an option to dislike both, but not like both?

I demand a new poll :x

JohnnyWPSP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#171 JohnnyWPSP
Member since 2009 • 1895 Posts
Zelda by far. I hate FF.
erwingameon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 erwingameon

Even though the quality of FF games has dropped in recent years, i haven't been interested in a Zelda game since OoT, so to me FF > Zelda. Maybe if Nintendo would make an action RPG with new characters, story etc it would get my interest. Zelda has been too much milked as far as i'm concerned, i just grew bored of it. The FF series has had a lot of games, but at least it's always a completely different setting, story, characters, different game mechanics etc that kept it fresh to me. Same dev, is under the same name, same genre, but completely different games aside from a few recurrent elements.Tykain

Zelda to much milked. Lol unlike FF wich is only one of the most milked out franchises in gaming history. FF always completely different setting, story, characters, game mechanics. No more so than the Zelda series. But let's go into those points shall we.

(SETTING) Both FF and Zelda have different settings for their games. Not counting direct sequals.

(STORY) Both FF and Zelda's stories are different in each game.

(CHARACTERS) Only Link, Zelda and (sometimes) Ganondorf are alway's in the Zelda series and with such great characters who can blaim Nintendo for that. And while most of the time the characters in FF look and are named different their basic characteristics are mostly the same every time.

(GAME MECHANICS) Both Zelda and FF have almost the same game mechanics in their game every time. The difference is that using Zelda's game mechanics is actually fun, instead of FF wich is basicly just running around and pressing the same buttun over and over again to defeat the enemies you encounter.

So looking at all these points theres no way that you can say that FF is completely fresh every time and Zelda is not. You can have a personal preference but comments like yours are just a sign of fanboyism or ignorence.

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 hakanakumono

[QUOTE="Tykain"]Even though the quality of FF games has dropped in recent years, i haven't been interested in a Zelda game since OoT, so to me FF > Zelda. Maybe if Nintendo would make an action RPG with new characters, story etc it would get my interest. Zelda has been too much milked as far as i'm concerned, i just grew bored of it. The FF series has had a lot of games, but at least it's always a completely different setting, story, characters, different game mechanics etc that kept it fresh to me. Same dev, is under the same name, same genre, but completely different games aside from a few recurrent elements.erwingameon

Zelda to much milked. Lol unlike FF wich is only one of the most milked out franchises in gaming history. FF always completely different setting, story, characters, game mechanics. No more so than the Zelda series. But let's go into those points shall we.

(SETTING) Both FF and Zelda have different settings for their games. Not counting direct sequals.

(CHARACTERS) Only Link, Zelda and (sometimes) Ganondorf are alway's in the Zelda series and with such great characters who can blaim Nintendo for that. And while most of the time the characters in FF look and are named different their basic characteristics are mostly the same every time.

(GAME MECHANICS) Both Zelda and FF have almost the same game mechanics in their game every time. The difference is that using Zelda's game mechanics is actually fun, instead of FF wich is basicly just running around and pressing the same buttun over and over again to defeat the enemies you encounter.

So looking at all these points theres no way that you can say that FF is completely fresh every time and Zelda is not. You can have a personal preference but comments like yours are just a sign of fanboyism or ignorence.

Are you seriously trying to argue that Final Fantasy games are as similar as Zelda games? How absurd. Final Fantasy is one of the most diverse series in existence, while Zelda is quite the opposite. You're not fooling anybody; we've played these games too you know.

erwingameon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 erwingameon

[QUOTE="erwingameon"]

[QUOTE="Tykain"]Even though the quality of FF games has dropped in recent years, i haven't been interested in a Zelda game since OoT, so to me FF > Zelda. Maybe if Nintendo would make an action RPG with new characters, story etc it would get my interest. Zelda has been too much milked as far as i'm concerned, i just grew bored of it. The FF series has had a lot of games, but at least it's always a completely different setting, story, characters, different game mechanics etc that kept it fresh to me. Same dev, is under the same name, same genre, but completely different games aside from a few recurrent elements.hakanakumono

Are you seriously trying to argue that Final Fantasy games are as similar as Zelda games? How absurd. Final Fantasy is one of the most diverse series in existence, while Zelda is quite the opposite. You're not fooling anybody; we've played these games too you know.

FF diverse, don't make me laugh. If you've really played the FF games you'd know how ludicroud this post of yours really is. Zelda might not be diverse but neither is FF. I'm only using facts in my posts so why don't u do the same instead of posting these fanboy comments.

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 hakanakumono

I will agree that FF was not that diverse in it's battle system to a point. In fact, FF was behind the curve in the Playstation era. But that changed with FFX, and FFXII and FFXIII are also very different games. And with the advent of FFV, the systems behind the battle system were different in each installment. Job system, materia, junctioning magic, equipment leveling, sphere grid, summon based skill learning, etc ...

And the rest? Almost every Zelda game takes place in Hyrule. Final Fantasy? If you were to strip them of the label "Final Fantasy," they could easily be considered different games. There is a great difference in

vs. vs.

They couldn't be more different. Of course, I don't expect you to recognize this, given that your previous post speaks volumes.

TrapJak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 TrapJak
Member since 2011 • 2933 Posts

I will agree that FF was not that diverse in it's battle system to a point. In fact, FF was behind the curve in the Playstation era. But that changed with FFX, and FFXII and FFXIII are also very different games. And with the advent of FFV, the systems behind the battle system were different in each installment. Job system, materia, junctioning magic, equipment leveling, sphere grid, summon based skill learning, etc ...

And the rest? Almost every Zelda game takes place in Hyrule. Final Fantasy? If you were to strip them of the label "Final Fantasy," they could easily be considered different games. There is a great difference in

vs. vs.

They couldn't be more different. Of course, I don't expect you to recognize this, given that your previous post speaks volumes.

hakanakumono

True words bro.

MM was taken place in Termina, but your point stands.

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177 hakanakumono

I shouldn't even have to make a point; even the most hardcore Zelda fan should be able to recognize how similar Zelda games are to one another, let alone compared to Final Fantasy.

As for Majora's Mask, Majora's Mask is perhaps the most unique Zelda game released to date and is a general outlier in the series.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts
I would pick Final Fantasy by a slim margin.
erwingameon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179 erwingameon

vs. vs.

hakanakumono

Lol, the battle systems are neirly identical in all FF games and even the systems behind them are almost the same with a few tweaks and name changes aside.

And while the land in Zelda is called Hyrule (most times) the actual landscape looks nothing alike. So using your logic, if you strip it of the label Hyrule they are considered different places.

I love it when peoples own logic proves them wrong.

IPWNDU2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180 IPWNDU2
Member since 2006 • 2535 Posts

Not even close, Zelda. This isn't the 90's anymore.

Grawse

ShuichiChamp24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181 ShuichiChamp24
Member since 2009 • 5014 Posts

[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

vs. vs.

erwingameon

Lol, the battle systems are neirly identical in all FF games and even the systems behind them are almost the same with a few tweaks and name changesaside.

And while the land in Zelda is called Hyrule (most times) the actual landscape looks nothing alike. So using your logic, if you strip it of the label Hyrule they are considered different places.

I agree, wind Waker, Mojoras Mask, and Spirit Track all feel like different Zelda games just as they say FF does.
erwingameon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182 erwingameon

[QUOTE="erwingameon"]

[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

vs. vs.

ShuichiChamp24

Lol, the battle systems are neirly identical in all FF games and even the systems behind them are almost the same with a few tweaks and name changesaside.

I agree, wind Waker, Mojoras Mask, and Spirit Track all feel like different Zelda games just as they say FF does.

Thank you, finally somebody with some descent sense.

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183 hakanakumono

[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

vs. vs.

erwingameon

Lol, the battle systems are neirly identical in all FF games and even the systems behind them are almost the same with a few tweaks and name changes aside.

No they aren't. I should even have to explain this. You haven't played any Final Fantasy games, have you?

Yes it does. In fact, locations in Twilight Princess are modeled after Ocarina of Time ... The landscape looks the same. Grassy fields, hills, forests, rivers. It's specifically designed to look similar. This is what makes it "Zelda."

erwingameon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184 erwingameon

To put an end to the discussion in this forum, why don't we let Gamespot decide wich one is the better series.

Gamespot's average for Final Fantasy out of all reviews >> 7,8

Gamespot's average for The Legend of Zelda out of all reviews >> 8,9

And that makesThe Legend of Zelda the WINNER.

erwingameon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185 erwingameon

[QUOTE="erwingameon"]

[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

vs. vs.

hakanakumono

No they aren't. I should even have to explain this. You haven't played any Final Fantasy games, have you?

Yes it does. In fact, locations in Twilight Princess are modeled after Ocarina of Time ... The landscape looks the same. Grassy fields, hills, forests, rivers. It's specifically designed to look similar. This is what makes it "Zelda."

Actually i've played most of the FF games.

Oh yes the land in Ocarina of Time looks the same as the big ocean in Wind Waker. C'me on. You've defenitly never played the Zelda games or your just bias.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#186 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts
How many times are we going to have this exact same thread?
hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187 hakanakumono

[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

[QUOTE="erwingameon"]

erwingameon

Oh yes the land in Ocarina of Time looks the same as the big ocean in Wind Waker. C'me on. You've defenitly never played the Zelda games or your just bias.

Well, I suppose you're right. Magic is learned in roughly the same way in FFVII as it is in FFVIII - leveling up. Even if the systems are "different."

Yes, there is an ocean in Wind Waker. But Wind Waker is one game and the individual dungeons are not terribly distinct from other games. Just because a zelda game happens to have a single natural characteristic that sets it apart from different FF games, doesn't mean the games are terribly unique. Out of all 4 3D console Zeldas, 3 of them have either Hyrule field or something like it (Termina field).

erwingameon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188 erwingameon

[QUOTE="erwingameon"]

[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

hakanakumono

Well, I suppose you're right. Magic is learned in roughly the same way in FFVII as it is in FFVIII - leveling up. Even if the systems are "different."

Yes, there is an ocean in Wind Waker. But Wind Waker is one game and the individual dungeons are not terribly distinct from other games. Just because a zelda game happens to have a single natural characteristic that sets it apart from different FF games, doesn't mean the games are terribly unique. Out of all 4 3D console Zeldas, 3 of them have either Hyrule field or something like it (Termina field).

I've never said that the Zelda games are unique. All i said is that the FF series isn't terrible unique either. Personally, i've alway found the Zelda games to be diverse enough even if a lot is used frequently. And since most mechanics and designs are very well done why medle with them.

ianuilliam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189 ianuilliam
Member since 2006 • 4955 Posts

The original LoZ was great, but FF1 was FAR better. FF2 is possibly one of the worst FFs... but Zelda 2 was total crap. FF wins NES generation.

A Link to the Past was the best Zelda game to date, but FF4, 5, and especially 6, were all better games. FF destroys Zelda in the SNES gen.

OoT was pretty good, but after the novelty of 3-d Zelda wore off, it was a bit boring and tedius resulting in me not caring enough to finish it, or play MM. FF8, my least favorite of the PSX era FFs was much better than OoT. FF7 and 9 were both great games. And FF Tactics is the best FF game to date. Also, FF Origins (re-release of 1 and 2) and Anthology (5 and 6) finally brought 2 and 5 to the US with official translations. All total, PSX era was probably the best era for FF games. Any one of the 9 FF games available on the PSX, except maybe for FF2, are better than the 2 N64 Zeldas. FF wins N64/PSX era.

FF 10-2 was garbage, but 10 and 12 > WW, 4S, and TP... Also, FF11 was completely awesome, but not really comparable being an MMO. FF wins PS2/GC era.

TP on Wii is the same decent game as on GC... except ruined by the waggle controls. Haven't played 13 all the way through yet, but from what I played, 13 > TP. So far, FF > Zelda in PS3/360/Wii gen. Maybe SS can redeem it the series, but honestly, as a huge Zelda fan back in the day, the series has only ever had two games that I considered great, and its peak was way back on the SNES. It doesn't help that so many Zelda games are basically just re-telling the same game over and over: Link rescues Zelda from Ganon and saves Hyrule. FF has had more games, with a higher percentage of them being great games, and while they share certain themes, creatures, and a few names, it's not just the same game over and over.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Regarding the discussion about which of the two series is more diverse, here's my two cents: I believe that Final Fantasy makes an effort to differentiate each successive entry from the previous one a lot more than Zelda does. Different settings, completely different storylines, different characters (that, incidentally, are very well developed), and a lot of geographic variety with each game, Final Fantasy feels more like an anthalogy of fantasy stories to me than a series, with each game being a new volume and an all new story, if you know what I mean. The fact that Final Fantasy has an entirely new story every time (albeit one that deals with the same overarching themes), and the fact that each game (barring FF12 if I am not wrong) is in a new geographic setting every single time, means that Final Fantasy feels more diverse. Gameplaywise, however, I suppose things would get slightly harder to determine. Whereas the first nine Final Fantasy games made great efforts to keep their battle systems fresh, the underlying turn based combat was still the same (although it would be foolish to suggest that, say, FF1 uses the same battle system that FF7 or FF5 do). On the other hand, Zelda's gameplay seems to have been mixed up more (especially with games like Zelda II, Link to the Past, Link's Awakening, Ocarina of Time and Phantom Hourglass. The other games only built upon these games, as far as gameplay is concerned). Storywise, Zelda is a retelling every time, and while I don't mind that, it's foolish to suggest that it is more diverse than Final Fantasy. Geographically too while Zelda shows variation, it is nothing on Final Fantasy. I mean, yes, Hyrule changes with every game, but it's still Hyrule, and there's always a Hyrule Castle, a Death Mountain, a Lost Woods, a Zora Lake, a Kakariko Village, a Gerudo Valley, even though the layout of these places themselves might change every time. However, Final Fantasy has an entirely new world every single time, none of which have anything to do with each other, so again, Final Fantasy is more diverse there. To sum up, I'd say that as far as diversity in story, setting, backstory and characterization are concerned, Final Fantasy wins it no question. Zelda wins it in the gameplay department though.
hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191 hakanakumono

Regarding the discussion about which of the two series is more diverse, here's my two cents: I believe that Final Fantasy makes an effort to differentiate each successive entry from the previous one a lot more than Zelda does. Different settings, completely different storylines, different characters (that, incidentally, are very well developed), and a lot of geographic variety with each game, Final Fantasy feels more like an anthalogy of fantasy stories to me than a series, with each game being a new volume and an all new story, if you know what I mean. The fact that Final Fantasy has an entirely new story every time (albeit one that deals with the same overarching themes), and the fact that each game (barring FF12 if I am not wrong) is in a new geographic setting every single time, means that Final Fantasy feels more diverse. Gameplaywise, however, I suppose things would get slightly harder to determine. Whereas the first nine Final Fantasy games made great efforts to keep their battle systems fresh, the underlying turn based combat was still the same (although it would be foolish to suggest that, say, FF1 uses the same battle system that FF7 or FF5 do). On the other hand, Zelda's gameplay seems to have been mixed up more (especially with games like Zelda II, Link to the Past, Link's Awakening, Ocarina of Time and Phantom Hourglass. The other games only built upon these games, as far as gameplay is concerned). Storywise, Zelda is a retelling every time, and while I don't mind that, it's foolish to suggest that it is more diverse than Final Fantasy. Geographically too while Zelda shows variation, it is nothing on Final Fantasy. I mean, yes, Hyrule changes with every game, but it's still Hyrule, and there's always a Hyrule Castle, a Death Mountain, a Lost Woods, a Zora Lake, a Kakariko Village, a Gerudo Valley, even though the layout of these places themselves might change every time. However, Final Fantasy has an entirely new world every single time, none of which have anything to do with each other, so again, Final Fantasy is more diverse there. To sum up, I'd say that as far as diversity in story, setting, backstory and characterization are concerned, Final Fantasy wins it no question. Zelda wins it in the gameplay department though.charizard1605

Shouldn't MM belong here? :P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

[QUOTE="charizard1605"]Regarding the discussion about which of the two series is more diverse, here's my two cents: I believe that Final Fantasy makes an effort to differentiate each successive entry from the previous one a lot more than Zelda does. Different settings, completely different storylines, different characters (that, incidentally, are very well developed), and a lot of geographic variety with each game, Final Fantasy feels more like an anthalogy of fantasy stories to me than a series, with each game being a new volume and an all new story, if you know what I mean. The fact that Final Fantasy has an entirely new story every time (albeit one that deals with the same overarching themes), and the fact that each game (barring FF12 if I am not wrong) is in a new geographic setting every single time, means that Final Fantasy feels more diverse. Gameplaywise, however, I suppose things would get slightly harder to determine. Whereas the first nine Final Fantasy games made great efforts to keep their battle systems fresh, the underlying turn based combat was still the same (although it would be foolish to suggest that, say, FF1 uses the same battle system that FF7 or FF5 do). On the other hand, Zelda's gameplay seems to have been mixed up more (especially with games like Zelda II, Link to the Past, Link's Awakening, Ocarina of Time and Phantom Hourglass. The other games only built upon these games, as far as gameplay is concerned). Storywise, Zelda is a retelling every time, and while I don't mind that, it's foolish to suggest that it is more diverse than Final Fantasy. Geographically too while Zelda shows variation, it is nothing on Final Fantasy. I mean, yes, Hyrule changes with every game, but it's still Hyrule, and there's always a Hyrule Castle, a Death Mountain, a Lost Woods, a Zora Lake, a Kakariko Village, a Gerudo Valley, even though the layout of these places themselves might change every time. However, Final Fantasy has an entirely new world every single time, none of which have anything to do with each other, so again, Final Fantasy is more diverse there. To sum up, I'd say that as far as diversity in story, setting, backstory and characterization are concerned, Final Fantasy wins it no question. Zelda wins it in the gameplay department though.hakanakumono

Majora's Mask is the only exception to Zelda's formula of mixing up the gameplay but keeping the same setting. It basically built off the gameplay in Ocarina (yeah, the masks were an addition, but not nearly significant enough to have Majora's gameplay qualify as something entirely different from Ocarina's), but put us in an entirely new setting. I think that's one of the reasons it's loved so much- it was a structural reboot, it was a breath of fresh air as far as story and characters are concerned. Majora's Mask's diversity fits more into the FF mould than the Zelda mould :P
erwingameon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193 erwingameon

The original LoZ was great, but FF1 was FAR better. FF2 is possibly one of the worst FFs... but Zelda 2 was total crap. FF wins NES generation.

A Link to the Past was the best Zelda game to date, but FF4, 5, and especially 6, were all better games. FF destroys Zelda in the SNES gen.

OoT was pretty good, but after the novelty of 3-d Zelda wore off, it was a bit boring and tedius resulting in me not caring enough to finish it, or play MM. FF8, my least favorite of the PSX era FFs was much better than OoT. FF7 and 9 were both great games. And FF Tactics is the best FF game to date. Also, FF Origins (re-release of 1 and 2) and Anthology (5 and 6) finally brought 2 and 5 to the US with official translations. All total, PSX era was probably the best era for FF games. Any one of the 9 FF games available on the PSX, except maybe for FF2, are better than the 2 N64 Zeldas. FF wins N64/PSX era.

FF 10-2 was garbage, but 10 and 12 > WW, 4S, and TP... Also, FF11 was completely awesome, but not really comparable being an MMO. FF wins PS2/GC era.

TP on Wii is the same decent game as on GC... except ruined by the waggle controls. Haven't played 13 all the way through yet, but from what I played, 13 > TP. So far, FF > Zelda in PS3/360/Wii gen. Maybe SS can redeem it the series, but honestly, as a huge Zelda fan back in the day, the series has only ever had two games that I considered great, and its peak was way back on the SNES. It doesn't help that so many Zelda games are basically just re-telling the same game over and over: Link rescues Zelda from Ganon and saves Hyrule. FF has had more games, with a higher percentage of them being great games, and while they share certain themes, creatures, and a few names, it's not just the same game over and over.

ianuilliam

Wow, i've never read more bias fanboyism in my live. OoT pretty good. It's one of the few games ever to get a perfect 10 and is praised by crititcs worldwide. But then again everyone is entitled to their opnion, even if it is completely misplaced.

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194 hakanakumono

[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

[QUOTE="charizard1605"]Regarding the discussion about which of the two series is more diverse, here's my two cents: I believe that Final Fantasy makes an effort to differentiate each successive entry from the previous one a lot more than Zelda does. Different settings, completely different storylines, different characters (that, incidentally, are very well developed), and a lot of geographic variety with each game, Final Fantasy feels more like an anthalogy of fantasy stories to me than a series, with each game being a new volume and an all new story, if you know what I mean. The fact that Final Fantasy has an entirely new story every time (albeit one that deals with the same overarching themes), and the fact that each game (barring FF12 if I am not wrong) is in a new geographic setting every single time, means that Final Fantasy feels more diverse. Gameplaywise, however, I suppose things would get slightly harder to determine. Whereas the first nine Final Fantasy games made great efforts to keep their battle systems fresh, the underlying turn based combat was still the same (although it would be foolish to suggest that, say, FF1 uses the same battle system that FF7 or FF5 do). On the other hand, Zelda's gameplay seems to have been mixed up more (especially with games like Zelda II, Link to the Past, Link's Awakening, Ocarina of Time and Phantom Hourglass. The other games only built upon these games, as far as gameplay is concerned). Storywise, Zelda is a retelling every time, and while I don't mind that, it's foolish to suggest that it is more diverse than Final Fantasy. Geographically too while Zelda shows variation, it is nothing on Final Fantasy. I mean, yes, Hyrule changes with every game, but it's still Hyrule, and there's always a Hyrule Castle, a Death Mountain, a Lost Woods, a Zora Lake, a Kakariko Village, a Gerudo Valley, even though the layout of these places themselves might change every time. However, Final Fantasy has an entirely new world every single time, none of which have anything to do with each other, so again, Final Fantasy is more diverse there. To sum up, I'd say that as far as diversity in story, setting, backstory and characterization are concerned, Final Fantasy wins it no question. Zelda wins it in the gameplay department though.charizard1605

Majora's Mask is the only exception to Zelda's formula of mixing up the gameplay but keeping the same setting. It basically built off the gameplay in Ocarina (yeah, the masks were an addition, but not nearly significant enough to have Majora's gameplay qualify as something entirely different from Ocarina's), but put us in an entirely new setting. I think that's one of the reasons it's loved so much- it was a structural reboot, it was a breath of fresh air as far as story and characters are concerned. Majora's Mask's diversity fits more into the FF mould than the Zelda mould :P

MM is my favorite Zelda even though I never beat it. :lol: The oceanside spiderhouse wouldn't give me the big wallet so I gave up.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

MM is my favorite Zelda even though I never beat it. :lol: The oceanside spiderhouse wouldn't give me the big wallet so I gave up.

hakanakumono
Hey now, get down to changing that! Majora's Mask is the one Zelda that deserves to be played to completion! :x (Even though I've only ever completed it... once? I don't know, I haven't finished it in a very long time though). And I remember how painful it was getting the Giant Wallet... for a very long time, I only got purple rupees... *shudders*
ianuilliam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196 ianuilliam
Member since 2006 • 4955 Posts

[QUOTE="ianuilliam"]

erwingameon

Wow, i've never read more bias fanboyism in my live. OoT pretty good. It's one of the few games ever to get a perfect 10 and is praised by crititcs worldwide. But then again everyone is entitled to their opnion, even if it is completely misplaced.

OoT was a step down from ALttP. Having already played the exact same game, only in 2d instead of 3d (and better), I found OoT to be too boring to finish. GTA4, Galaxy2, MGS4, and THPS3 all also scored a 10 here. That doesn't mean any of them are the best game of their respective franchises either. Even if you want to put OoT up there as a Great game, instead of just a good game, OoT and MM on the N64 versus FF7, 8, 9, Tactics, and re-releases of 2 and 5, which weren't originally released outside of Japan? FF beat the pants out of Zelda during the PSX/N64 era.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#197 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts
How many times are we going to have this exact same thread?charizard1605
Zelda won last time, too. :P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
[QUOTE="charizard1605"]How many times are we going to have this exact same thread?DarkLink77
Zelda won last time, too. :P

Zelda wins every time. 8) It also won my Greatest Games Franchise contest, if I remember correctly.
hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199 hakanakumono

[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

charizard1605

Hey now, get down to changing that! Majora's Mask is the one Zelda that deserves to be played to completion! :x (Even though I've only ever completed it... once? I don't know, I haven't finished it in a very long time though). And I remember how painful it was getting the Giant Wallet... for a very long time, I only got purple rupees... *shudders*

The guy to give me the stuff just never appeared. :(

Greyfeld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#200 Greyfeld
Member since 2008 • 3007 Posts

To put an end to the discussion in this forum, why don't we let Gamespot decide wich one is the better series.

Gamespot's average for Final Fantasy out of all reviews >> 7,8

Gamespot's average for The Legend of Zelda out of all reviews >> 8,9

And that makesThe Legend of Zelda the WINNER.

erwingameon

No thanks, I'd rather make my own decision. You know, since I actually have an opinion that isn't dictated by the sheeple mentality.

Also, every main installment Pokemon game has a score over 8.0. That doesn't mean that any of them are particularly original. Zelda holds the same problem. Boy finds out he has a great destiny, enters dungeons to collect special weapons and pieces of the triforce, then eventually kicks the crap out of the evil pig-man.

*Yawn*