The Last of Us: Sony's Half Life?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d78760d7d740
deactivated-5d78760d7d740

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5d78760d7d740
Member since 2009 • 16386 Posts

128741558741541-563x195.jpg

Half Life is well known for revolutionizing the FPS genre at its time. It had amazing graphics, a great story, great gameplay, and many innovative features. Half Life was heralded as Valve's greatest achievement. Now, many years later, it seems like Sony wants to revolutionize the action/adventure genre. The Last of Us has it all, phenomenal story, amazing gameplay, cutting edge graphics, magnificent voice acting, and best of all, the uber-realistic animation. It seems as if this is Sony's Half Life, the one game that gamers 10 years from now will look back on and wish they lived to see it born. I'm sure this is one game that everyone can appreciate for its attention to detail and mastery in its genre. Thoughts? Comments? Discuss.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts
Hope so. But prob not

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-5d78760d7d740

Hope so. But prob not themajormayor

Did you even read the op, mayor?

Masenkoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#4 Masenkoe
Member since 2007 • 4897 Posts

The Last of Us has cutting edge graphics

XVision84

lol

tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 tagyhag
Member since 2007 • 15874 Posts
Nope. It'll just be like other Naughty Dog titles. Extremely polished but nothing innovative about them. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Avatar image for Obviously_Right
Obviously_Right

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Obviously_Right
Member since 2011 • 5331 Posts

Who knows, maybe it can.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-5d78760d7d740

[QUOTE="XVision84"]

Masenkoe

lol

Come on, you guys saw the footage, the game looks phenomenal on PS3.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts
If you want to praise a game, the last thing you should do is compare it to Half-Life.
Nope. It'll just be like other Naughty Dog titles. Extremely polished but nothing innovative about them. Not that there's anything wrong with that.tagyhag
Also, this. They're the Blizzard of the console world. Except Blizzard revolutionized the MMO and the RTS. And the PC hack n' slash. So maybe that's not a good comparison. Hmmm....

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-5d78760d7d740

Nope. It'll just be like other Naughty Dog titles. Extremely polished but nothing innovative about them. Not that there's anything wrong with that.tagyhag

Well, to be fair what they're trying to do isn't very common. The mixture of great AI, realistic melee, and tactical gameplay isn't very common at all these days. Especially when they're mixed with low health and the need to actually heal yourself without regeneration.

PhazonBlazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10 PhazonBlazer
Member since 2007 • 12013 Posts

I have to say that the quarantine zone from the latest trailer reminded me of City 17.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DarkLink77
Eh doubt it'll have the same impact HL had... Although, truth be told, after UC2 most action-adventure and TPS games seem to have taken a page out of UC's book (just like UC took a page out Tomb Raider's book). But again, while some titles are obviously influenced by UC, that franchise also didn't have nearly the same impact HL had.... Desmonic
Besides the new Tomb Raider, I can't think of anything that borrows directly from Uncharted. Far more things borrow from Gears of War, honestly.
metroidfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 metroidfood
Member since 2007 • 11175 Posts

[QUOTE="tagyhag"]Nope. It'll just be like other Naughty Dog titles. Extremely polished but nothing innovative about them. Not that there's anything wrong with that.XVision84

Well, to be fair what they're trying to do isn't very common. The mixture of great AI, realistic melee, and tactical gameplay isn't very common at all these days. Especially when they're mixed with low health and the need to actually heal yourself without regeneration.

That doesn't make it revolutionary or innovative, just uncommon.

Masenkoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#14 Masenkoe
Member since 2007 • 4897 Posts

[QUOTE="Masenkoe"]

[QUOTE="XVision84"]

XVision84

lol

>implying

[spoiler] just kidding I know Naughty Dog makes the PS3 look great I just wouldn't use the term cutting edge on 6 year old hardware ya feel me? [/spoiler]

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-5d78760d7d740

If you want to praise a game, the last thing you should do is compare it to Half-Life. [QUOTE="tagyhag"]Nope. It'll just be like other Naughty Dog titles. Extremely polished but nothing innovative about them. Not that there's anything wrong with that.DarkLink77
Also, this. They're the Blizzard of the console world. Except Blizzard revolutionized the MMO and the RTS. And the PC hack n' slash. So maybe that's not a good comparison. Hmmm....

I gotta say, I expected more backlash from...well...everybody >.>

what're y'all in a good mood or something today?

[spoiler] Nah, just joking :P. Seriously though, this really could be PS3's big game. It's from Sony's (arguably) best developer this gen, and looks to be ahead of its time(much like GTA V, but maybe not to the same degree) [/spoiler]

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#16 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

Half Life is well known for revolutionizing the FPS genre at its time. It had amazing graphics, a great story, great gameplay, and many innovative features. Half Life was heralded as Valve's greatest achievement. Now, many years later, it seems like Sony wants to revolutionize the action/adventure genre. The Last of Us has it all, phenomenal story, amazing gameplay, cutting edge graphics, magnificent voice acting, and best of all, the uber-realistic animation. It seems as if this is Sony's Half Life, the one game that gamers 10 years from now will look back on and wish they lived to see it born. I'm sure this is one game that everyone can appreciate for its attention to detail and mastery in its genre. Thoughts? Comments? Discuss.

XVision84

Hey, woah! Let's not make baseless assumptions shall we. We know very little about the quality in gameplay at this point and Naughty Dog hasn't been able to produce it all gen so...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-5d78760d7d740

[QUOTE="XVision84"]

[QUOTE="Masenkoe"]

lol

Masenkoe

>implying

[spoiler] just kidding I know Naughty Dog makes the PS3 look great I just wouldn't use the term cutting edge on 6 year old hardware ya feel me? [/spoiler]

Yeah, of course, it's not like I'm expecting 1080p 120fps or anything ;).

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]If you want to praise a game, the last thing you should do is compare it to Half-Life. [QUOTE="tagyhag"]Nope. It'll just be like other Naughty Dog titles. Extremely polished but nothing innovative about them. Not that there's anything wrong with that.XVision84

I gotta say, I expected more backlash from...well...everybody >.>

what're y'all in a good mood or something today?

[spoiler] Nah, just joking :P. Seriously though, this really could be PS3's big game. It's from Sony's (arguably) best developer this gen, and looks to be ahead of its time(much like GTA V, but maybe not to the same degree) [/spoiler]

It looks cool. We'll see what happens. I have complete and utter faith in Naughty Dog First Attempt Syndrome.
Avatar image for megaspiderweb09
megaspiderweb09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 megaspiderweb09
Member since 2009 • 3686 Posts

The truth is TC, even if Naughty Dog sets a benchmark for how AI should be done, how sound should be utilized, how characterization should be, how fluid animation should etc, idiots on system wars would still discredit them. I mean just look at the Tomb Raider debate going on, Uncharted has influenced alot of games this gen but people will never admit it, i guess its that Bandwagon effect where people feel high n mighty for having an opinion thats different rather than objective. If i were you, i would focus on enjoying the game rather than validating Naughty Dogs credentials on a forum that clearly would not agree

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#21 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts

I'll have to echo the other posters agreeing with this guy.

Last of Us may be a greatly polished game, it may push the gameplay into a few new areas, but overall it is looking like nothing cutting edge or innovative. A good way to pass the time but nothing to be all that excited with.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="Desmonic"]Eh doubt it'll have the same impact HL had... Although, truth be told, after UC2 most action-adventure and TPS games seem to have taken a page out of UC's book (just like UC took a page out Tomb Raider's book). But again, while some titles are obviously influenced by UC, that franchise also didn't have nearly the same impact HL had.... Desmonic

Besides the new Tomb Raider, I can't think of anything that borrows directly from Uncharted. Far more things borrow from Gears of War, honestly.

Sorry should have been more specific about that. I was referring to the set pieces and overall bigger focus on story presentation. Didn't mean gameplay per say, since that's pretty ambigous (UC itself is a big mix of previous gameplay ideas itself soo..)

I really don't see that influence, either, to be honest, aside from the new Tomb Raider.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-5d78760d7d740

[QUOTE="XVision84"]

Pikminmaniac

Hey, woah! Let's not make baseless assumptions shall we. We know very little about the quality in gameplay at this point and Naughty Dog hasn't been able to produce it all gen so...

It looks great from what we've seen so far, clearly a huge improvement from Uncharted. Especially since you're not a bullet sponge anymore. There's also a bigger emphasis on gameplay rather than cinematic appeal this time around. I trust that Naughty Dog will deliver in that department though, Uncharted 2's gameplay was addicting and fun IMO. I have plenty of hours clocked on the multiplayer. I feel similarly about Uncharted 3, just maybe not to the same degree as Uncharted 2.

MrYaotubo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 MrYaotubo
Member since 2012 • 2884 Posts

[QUOTE="Masenkoe"]

[QUOTE="XVision84"]

XVision84

lol

On the PS3,but that certainly doesn´t mean cutting edge graphics at all,obviously,and since pretty much all of those big hyped PS3 games always show really good bullshots and extremely touched up trailers but when the games come out they don´t look as good as they were shown,this really is in the end,the same deal again.

Didn´t some sites already showed gameplay before and it looked pretty average?

And sony´s Half Life? lol,I almost fell of my chair :lol:

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 themajormayor

[QUOTE="themajormayor"]Hope so. But prob not XVision84

Did you even read the op, mayor?

I rarely do
megaspiderweb09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 megaspiderweb09

[QUOTE="Desmonic"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"] Besides the new Tomb Raider, I can't think of anything that borrows directly from Uncharted. Far more things borrow from Gears of War, honestly.DarkLink77

Sorry should have been more specific about that. I was referring to the set pieces and overall bigger focus on story presentation. Didn't mean gameplay per say, since that's pretty ambigous (UC itself is a big mix of previous gameplay ideas itself soo..)

I really don't see that influence, either, to be honest, aside from the new Tomb Raider.

Dead Space, COD, BF3, Star Wars 1313. I swear there is just about every game i can find that now has ''set pieces'', making it ''cinematic'' for more ''fluid and dynamic'' and capturing the actors performance with the audio cuz thats when they are at their ''best'' with characters with indepth ''personality'' and ETC ETC ETC. Honestly if you did your search, you dont need glasses to see how much impact Uncharted has had

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="Desmonic"] Sorry should have been more specific about that. I was referring to the set pieces and overall bigger focus on story presentation. Didn't mean gameplay per say, since that's pretty ambigous (UC itself is a big mix of previous gameplay ideas itself soo..)

megaspiderweb09

Dead Space, COD, BF3, Star Wars 1313. I swear there is just about every game i can find that now has ''set pieces'', making it ''cinematic'' for more ''fluid and dynamic'' and capturing the actors performance with the audio cuz thats when they are at their ''best'' with characters with indepth ''personality'' and ETC ETC ETC. Honestly if you did your search, you dont need glasses to see how much impact Uncharted has had

Call of Duty was doing the whole "cinematic set-pieces" thing way before Uncharted. So were a number of other games.

Character performance has always been important. You act like Uncharted is the first video game to feature good voice acting.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

Ugh... and the unbearable Hyperbole continues, and we're so far from release yet. SW will be a hard to place to visit close to the release of this game :P

Also the game lok amazing from a whole mood/theme standpoint, can't wait to play it. But cuitting edge graphics is fals. The game has great animations but the textures are awful, jaggies everywhere and a low res. Still though, nice art

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-59b71619573a1

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="Desmonic"] Sorry should have been more specific about that. I was referring to the set pieces and overall bigger focus on story presentation. Didn't mean gameplay per say, since that's pretty ambigous (UC itself is a big mix of previous gameplay ideas itself soo..)

megaspiderweb09

This mentality of "Uncharted did it first" needs to stop. It's insulting. Lots of games did cinematic set pieces before Uncharted and a lot of games did Characters and Voice Acting really really well before it too.

MrYaotubo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 MrYaotubo
Member since 2012 • 2884 Posts

megaspiderweb09

That´s hardly the impact of Uncharted,games have been doing that years before the Uncharted games eve existed,and from a gameplay standpoint,usually better.
Avatar image for Obviously_Right
Obviously_Right

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Obviously_Right
Member since 2011 • 5331 Posts

Ugh... and the unbearable Hyperbole continues, and we're so far from release yet. SW will be a hard to place to visit close to the release of this game :P

Also the game lok amazing from a whole mood/theme standpoint, can't wait to play it. But cuitting edge graphics is fals. The game has great animations but the textures are awful, jaggies everywhere and a low res. Still though, nice art

seanmcloughlin

This. It just makes the game a target for unwarranted bashing.

I don't even care about the graphics, I just want the story and gameplay to be good.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 themajormayor
[QUOTE="Desmonic"]Eh doubt it'll have the same impact HL had... Although, truth be told, after UC2 most action-adventure and TPS games seem to have taken a page out of UC's book (just like UC took a page out Tomb Raider's book). But again, while some titles are obviously influenced by UC, that franchise also didn't have nearly the same impact HL had.... DarkLink77

That new star wars game ande res evil 6 perhaps
mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts
This Also, LMAO at cutting edge graphics. :lol:
Cheleman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Cheleman
Member since 2012 • 8198 Posts

Yes. I completely agree with you XV.

BlbecekBobecek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 BlbecekBobecek
Member since 2006 • 2949 Posts

This game is hyped through the roof and I must admit it does look a-m-a-z-i-n-g so far. I just hope it wont disappoint us...

megaspiderweb09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 megaspiderweb09

[QUOTE="megaspiderweb09"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"] I really don't see that influence, either, to be honest, aside from the new Tomb Raider.DarkLink77

Call of Duty was doing the whole "cinematic set-pieces" thing way before Uncharted. So were a number of other games.

Character performance has always been important. You act like Uncharted is the first video game to feature good voice acting.

Ooh sure, COD4 had alot of set pieces *rollseyes*. Oooh sure every game had voice acting, even Mario had voice acting, when your mind is set to the other side of the spectrum, you would definately fail to see what points i was making. Either you agree or not, almost every game has rippled a page or two from Uncharted2, its not rocket science, a game with that much critical acclaim would alwayz influence. Just like Half Life, Doom did during thier prime. Nothing wrong with having a different opinion, just perhaps try n be objective

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-5d78760d7d740

seanmcloughlin

If you thought my Mass Effect 3 hyperboles were bad, wait till you see what I can do with this game :P.

And by cutting edge I was referring to console standards. I'm not going to compare it to, say, Crysis 3 on PC lol.

Avatar image for deactivated-5afcc99c5544f
deactivated-5afcc99c5544f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-5afcc99c5544f
Member since 2012 • 1917 Posts
Naughty Dog has barely shown any gameplay. The footage you see in trailers consists of cut scenes, CGi, motion capturing, and scripted cinematography. Idealistically everyone is getting hyped over visuals.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-5d78760d7d740

you can actually see the spit on the camera when you hit someone, spit king? also when you punch someone like the first gameplay they showed you actually see them bleed from the mouth after that punch and see them spit the blood or fall on the floor, you can also lick the blood from the floor and be a vampire and fap so fast that no one can see the fapping. seriously though it looks great and i love the attention to detail like i mentioned the spit and them bleeding after a punch and see that blood on the floor or joel beeding from the nose and see it on his face when that guy is choking him, great attention to detail but its no half life, it will be great though and a great cenimatic experience and probaply horror, we'll see.TheGuardian03

Sound king. You forgot sound king. When you fire a gun without ammo, the AI comprehends it and charges at you to take you down. So I guess you can also call it AI king ;). I think it'll most likely have as big an affect as Uncharted 2 did back in 2009. About Half Life, I'd really like to see what makes Half Life so good, everyone says both games were revolutionary for their time so I assume Half Life 3 will also be amazing. I'm not buying into the Half Life hype just yet.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

[QUOTE="megaspiderweb09"]

megaspiderweb09

Ooh sure, COD4 had alot of set pieces *rollseyes*. Oooh sure every game had voice acting, even Mario had voice acting, when your mind is set to the other side of the spectrum, you would definately fail to see what points i was making. Either you agree or not, almost every game has rippled a page or two from Uncharted2, its not rocket science, a game with that much critical acclaim would alwayz influence. Just like Half Life, Doom did during thier prime. Nothing wrong with having a different opinion, just perhaps try n be objective

You brush off my points like they don't matter or aren't true, completely ignore the last ten plus years of video games, and you have the gall to tell me to be objective? :lol:

I'm not the one who's waving his fanboy flag loud and proud here, son.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-5d78760d7d740

add this to the op xv. http://i5.minus.com/iH3TVxvRAPptc.pngTheGuardian03

:shock:

I would put it in the OP, but I'm scared for some of our more sensitive viewers :P.

BlbecekBobecek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 BlbecekBobecek
Member since 2006 • 2949 Posts

Naughty Dog has barely shown any gameplay. The footage you see in trailers consists of cut scenes, CGi, motion capturing, and scripted cinematography. Idealistically everyone is getting hyped over visuals. Samus3D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cVBXXFoWks

15 minutes of gameplay. Looks awesome.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-59b71619573a1

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

XVision84

If you thought my Mass Effect 3 hyperboles were bad, wait till you see what I can do with this game :P.

And by cutting edge I was referring to console standards. I'm not going to compare it to, say, Crysis 3 on PC lol.

THE HORROR !!

Also even by console standards it's nothing spectacular, U3 looked better. BUT TLOU has a while to go before launch. and we haven't seen half the environments yet

Ly_the_Fairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Ly_the_Fairy
Member since 2011 • 8541 Posts

What Half Life did for interactive story-telling is unrivaled even to this day. The keyword being "interactive" because Half Life is one of the few series of games that doesn't strip any control from the player, or funnel your vision to any set pieces, in order to tell a story which is what makes it as great as it is. There's a reason Half Life, and Half Life 2 are often found not only at the top of "Best FPS games of all time" lists, but also "Best games of all time".

Naughty Dog, on the other hand, follows trends that have already been set in place by other developers which is their downfall. They might make a highly polished game with heavy cinematics, and good production values, but people play them, and soon afterwards forget them. They are video game equivalents of summer blockbuster movies. Great for one or two goes, but by the next summer something else will come out with more action, bigger explosions, and better set pieces.

The Last of Us will not be something people care about 8-15 years from now like the Half Life series.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-5d78760d7d740

Naughty Dog has barely shown any gameplay. The footage you see in trailers consists of cut scenes, CGi, motion capturing, and scripted cinematography. Idealistically everyone is getting hyped over visuals. Samus3D

We've had over 30 minutes of real time gameplay though, remember the E3 and Gamescom footages? Those were both in-game and not cutscenes.