• 77 results
Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

Poll The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion vs The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (85 votes)

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion 35%
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 65%

I am purposefully ignoring Morrowind and Daggerfall because I know they will get all the votes and/or elitists will come in and shit up the thread. I'm not asking about either of those two games. This is a question about Oblivion and Skyrim- which was better, which did you like more, which one do you want Elder Scrolls VI to follow, and above all, why for all of these questions?

• 
bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#51 bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts

Terrible RPGs. Shitty weightless/floaty action gameplay/combat, retarded & dumbed down RPG mechanics & systems, lame writing, generic monsters/weak variety of them, laughable linear 'dungeons', uninspired loot/bad economy, hand holding killing exploration with the idiot compass, work that copy paste Todd, no choices and consequences (actions don't effect the gameworld)....

Once Peterson and those other guys left and Toddler took control, it was all over. Time to sell out, go for the $$$ on consoles and start making baby's first RPGs for casuals.

Maroxad is right. At this point, they'd be better off dumping the remaining bullshit RPG mechanics, focus on some decent gameplay and make more of an open world action/adventure type game, instead of trying to do everything and please everyone and ending up with a bland & generic game with no strengths besides being able to hike/LARP around in some shitty 3-D world.

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#52  Edited By illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts

Skyrim. It kinda knew what it wanted to be despite some big oversights/expoits. Its world design is better in spite of some poor quests. There were events and activities to stumble through and Stealth + Archery is fun (even moreso with stealth, skill balance, AI and combat mods).

Some of the best things about Oblivion involved well hidden secrets, quests and details for players to discover, but most dropped the game before seeing the cool stuff because the mechanics are bad. It also had cool but poorly explained mechanics (Like spellcrafting) and alot of its cool content was gated behind of tedium.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#53 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

@illmatic87 said:

its cool content was gated behind of tedium.

The Bethesda motto.

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#54 Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

Skyrim is the better game, though i put many more hours into Oblivion and enjoyed it more than Skyrim.

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

Oblivion boyz.. loved the atmosphere, world, soundtrack was better, Sean Bean, Patrick Stewart

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#56 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

Loved both equally.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#57 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

I could only really get into Oblivion. I thought Skyrim was boring and ugly. Yeah, I modded it, but that didn't diminish the boring factor.

drinkerofjuice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#58 drinkerofjuice
Member since 2007 • 4567 Posts

Despite all its faults, I riked Skyrim. It was a tremendous improvement over Oblivion as far as locales, quests, and dungeon designs go.

Oblivion was just...well...shitty.

Frank_Castle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Frank_Castle
Member since 2015 • 1982 Posts

Skyrim

Oblivion was so fucking dumbed down compared to Morrowind it's ridiculous. There was absolutely no variety in that game either. Just green hills and forests everywhere (outside of that one northern town, Bruma if I'm not mistaken) and the dungeon design was some of the laziest, most uninspired shit ever.

The only thing I liked more about Oblivion than Skyrim was the Dark Brotherhood storyline.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts

I enjoyed Skyrim more.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#61 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@faizanhd: Great. Now tell me where I actually called either of them bad. I'll wait.

svaubel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 133

#62 svaubel
Member since 2005 • 4571 Posts

Both were amazing

I like Skyrim more though

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#63  Edited By Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Skryim is a better game. More interesting world, more to do, better fleshed out character development.

In previous Elder Scrolls series they stuck to more traditional RPG roots by forcing you into specific roles. Though Oblivion and Morrowind did allow you to level up minor skills, the only way to level your character was through major. This allowed you to do whatever you wanted, but punished players if they wanted to go more hybrid later on.

Skryim is more simple and more fluid. The ability to level up anything at any time allows you maximum flexibility. A lot of fun hybrids came from that. I also prefer the perks system to just higher values in skills. I think it gives you more of a sense of progression than just doing stuff you were doing a bit better than before.

Skyrim did remove the spell crafting and removed a few redundant skills. Some people really missed the spell crafting, I personally didn't care.

Skryim also kept itself more varied and the quests more interesting. The Oblivion Gates in Oblivion got really boring after awhile and there wasn't enough visual variety throughout the game world.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

Skyrim owned me for a hundred hours. Can't wait for the next one.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#65 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69486 Posts

I love these things. I am simply going to jump the gun and say that Skyrim so much "more" better than TES VI.

So if we are to follow the typical sequel hating logic that has become common in gaming Daggerfall > Morrowind > Oblivion>Skyrim. With that said Daggerfall with always be best. :D

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#66 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

Oblivion had more choice, but the character models were FUGLY and I hated the level scaling. Closing the oblivion gates got really tiresome and after like the 5th one I started running by them.

Skyrim was much prettier, but the choices you made meant nothing beyond random guard comments. You could literally murder a son in front of his mother, pay a fine, and she would back to kissing your ass like nothing happened. The removal of stats really bugged me too.

*sigh*

That said I enjoyed Skyrim alot more, but neither game is great IMHO. The lore is shyte!!!!!!!!

BlbecekBobecek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#67 BlbecekBobecek
Member since 2006 • 2949 Posts

Oblivion was killed by level scaling for me. Skyrim was much better in that aspect, although still far from Witcher 3 "no level scaling at all" greatness inspired by the old Gothic games.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#68 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69486 Posts
@BlbecekBobecek said:

Oblivion was killed by level scaling for me. Skyrim was much better in that aspect, although still far from Witcher 3 "no level scaling at all" greatness inspired by the old Gothic games.

Apparently they stole some of the control clunkiness from Gothic games.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

Skyrim is better in just about every way. It's a real example of how far games progressed throughout last gen.

Both were amazing though

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts

Give me Gothic 1 & 2 over Oblivion and Skyrim any and every day

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#71 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

Skyrim definitely. Never played Morrowind or Daggerfall. Oblivion was repetitive with the "close portals" missions. Skyrim felt more varied and the combat was way better

Skelly34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Skelly34
Member since 2015 • 2353 Posts

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

Both suck.

Oblivion is ever-so-slightly better.

both are given some redemption by mods.

lol but even then.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#73 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

Oblivion has Patrick Stewart in it, Skyrim does not.....any questions? .... just kidding, I cannot chose honestly both are great, I guess I have nostalgia as far as Oblivion is concerned, it is hard for me to be objective with these 2 games....probably Oblivion, had more of am impact at the time

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#74 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

Honestly I preferred Cyrodiil to Skyrim, but Skyrim was a better game at almost anything that was different between the two except locale. So Skyrim gets the nod.

Although, I don't think it's elitist to wish for a return to some of what made Morrowwind so awesome...

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#75 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

Both suck.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#76 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Without mods:

Oblivion > Skyrim

With mods:

Skyrim >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Oblivion

I cannot fucking wait for SureAI's Enderal.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#77 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

Oblivion. Every Elder Scrolls game has lots of problems, but Oblivion had so many fun quirks and types of builds. Also, **** Skyrim for getting rid of Athletics and Acrobatics.