• 77 results
Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

Poll The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion vs The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (85 votes)

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion 35%
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 65%

I am purposefully ignoring Morrowind and Daggerfall because I know they will get all the votes and/or elitists will come in and shit up the thread. I'm not asking about either of those two games. This is a question about Oblivion and Skyrim- which was better, which did you like more, which one do you want Elder Scrolls VI to follow, and above all, why for all of these questions?

• 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

I am purposefully ignoring Morrowind and Daggerfall because I know they will get all the votes and/or elitists will come in and shit up the thread. I'm not asking about either of those two games. This is a question about Oblivion and Skyrim- which was better, which did you like more, which one do you want Elder Scrolls VI to follow, and above all, why for all of these questions?

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

Both suck.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Chutebox  Online
Member since 2007 • 50498 Posts

Need a "Both boring as ****" option.

Come on, man.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Well I enjoyed both almost equally. Guess I'd give the edge to Skyrim, not really sure why, maybe because I didn't care for the Oblivion gates very much.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95
deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#5 deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95
Member since 2011 • 2103 Posts

I would say personally that Skyrim despite being panned here usually, was quite enjoyable, overrated, yes, but it was fun to mess around in even if there was a lackluster story and characters. The quests were entertaining if somewhat repetitive and the graphics didn't bother me all that much. For Elder Scrolls VI I honestly just want a new location, if I had to choose between the two, I guess I would go with Skyrim as they left the whole civil war plot on a, "cliffhanger" (more likely due to the fact that again, the plot was lackluster :P). Oblivion is just so... dated. I do like it for what it is, but the graphics are bleh, the characters and plot are as bad as Skyrim's, the Oblivion Gates get obnoxious after a while and the combat was worse than Skyrim's.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

My answer would be Skyrim, mostly because the setting, the graphics, the soundtrack, the central storyline and the mechanics all worked far better than in Oblivion. Oblivion feels very awkward in retrospect, it's neither here nor there- it was a transition between Morrowind and Skyrim, and it feels like that.

Also, Cyrodil sucks.

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts

I could only get into oblivion

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61427 Posts

I think I put more time into Skyrim, and I definitely enjoyed it more.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

Oblivion was my first open world rpg. The memories i have from that game are legendary, i enjoyed it soooooooooo much. Skyrim was garbage, the only thing i enjoyed is installing a metric ton of mods until my 580 couldn't handle it

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

It's like making a "Best Burger Joint" thread and limiting the options to "McDonalds" and "Burger King". Good stuff.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf3bfcedc29b
deactivated-5cf3bfcedc29b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11 deactivated-5cf3bfcedc29b
Member since 2014 • 776 Posts

It's hard to compete with dragons lol Besides those, the combat in Skyrim was better all around. I enjoyed crafting in Skyrim also.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#12 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

Skyrim was a step back in the right direction. Now if they can get back to making more hand crafted dungeons and fixing the combat finally to go along with a better realized and logically designed setting Bethesda could make one for the ages.

Oblivion was boring.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58647 Posts

At the time of release, many pc gamers complained Oblivion was dumbed down, compromised by consoles. In comparison to Skryim it's Sid Sid Meier's Civilization.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23813 Posts

Daggerr... well,

Oblivion has less shitty quests. At least the thieves guild and dark brotherhood stuff are decent.

Skyrim was dumbed down compared to oblivion but actually ended up being a better game for it. Why? Because no RPG elements beats half assed RPG elements.

Edit: I want the next TES to be more akin to skyrim. Albeit with no smithing skill, but with the guild quests being more akin to Oblivion than Skyrim. More ambition equals more things to potentially **** up, and more resources spread out. Get a few things done right and then build from there but only if it expands on the core experience of the game.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By uninspiredcup

@Maroxad said:

Daggerr... well,

Oblivion has less shitty quests. At least the thieves guild and dark brotherhood stuff are decent.

Skyrim was dumbed down compared to oblivion but actually ended up being a better game for it. Why? Because no RPG elements beats half assed RPG elements.

Both are half assed, by about quarter of the way into Skyrim being a Rogue is basically god mode regardless of difficulty.

StealthMonkey4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 StealthMonkey4
Member since 2009 • 7434 Posts

Skyrim was the much better game but I enjoyed Oblivion more. Oblivion's main flaws was having only one person in charge of developing every dungeon in the game, so it was copy pasted and terrible, and the level scaling was also awful.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#17 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

Preferred the quests and music in Oblivion, and overall thusly. But it's not as though I feel it's vastly better than Skyrim, just a smidgen better (or it is in my memory, haven't played Oblivion in 5+ years at least).

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

The modded versions are better.

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

#19 zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

Loved both. Never beat both. But hundreds of hours in each.

I'll go with Skyrim.

-God-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 -God-
Member since 2004 • 3627 Posts

Oblivion spell system >>>>>>> Skyrim.

SpellCrafting was so much better.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#21  Edited By WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9479 Posts

Glad to see my vote put Oblivion back in the lead. The fact that Skyrim is even neck and neck is disgusting... Did all of you that picked that garbage game come into the series on it? I just can't see any longtime fan of the series not hating Skyrim. It had a horrible crafting system, horrible spell system, took the everyman of every other game out of the equation and pretty much made you a god... give me a break. Skyrim is hot garbage compared to Morrowind or Oblivion, and pretty much anything besides Arena.

Don't even get me started on the generic settings, same overused character models, butchered audio from the Argonians and Khajiit. Small towns that were not lively... out of place conversations, etc. Skyrim was an attempt to pull in the casual masses with more funding going toward advertising and gimmicks and it paid off, but not in a good way for the fans... I'll stop now though.. Skyrim is and will always be the black sheep of the ES franchise (at least I hope so moving forward).

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#22 inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10502 Posts

Oblivion, it has a beautiful soundtrack, the better artstyle and atmosphere (read: artstyle, not graphics quality). It is also the game that got me into both rpgs and making mods.

Cyrodil was also the nicer World with great guild quest lines, even if the main story for both games sucks.

The only things i preferred in Skyrim over Oblivion was the voice acting and combat.

AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By AznbkdX
Member since 2012 • 4284 Posts

Skyrim by a long long long shot.

Hated the levelling system in Oblivion so much that I quit playing after only a few hours. Just can't stand it since I tend to micromanage when point distribution is like that. Bugs the crap out of me.

Ross_the_Boss6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Ross_the_Boss6
Member since 2009 • 4056 Posts

I personally prefer Oblivion. The Dark Brotherhood quest line is fantastic, and unlike in Skyrim, you actually get to steal things for the Thieves Guild.

I just enjoyed being in that world more. Skyrim is too drab.

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 inggrish

@charizard1605: you suck.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@_Matt_ said:

You don't actually mean that :-3

Avatar image for deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa
deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

Oblivion. The atmosphere in that game was much better than that of Skyrim, and even though Skyrim was better mechanically, I couldn't get into it as much. The guild quests were disappointing, and the civil war plot had so much potential that was not explored.

Avatar image for 001011000101101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 337

#28 001011000101101
Member since 2008 • 4395 Posts

Both of those games are incredible.

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 inggrish

@charizard1605 said:
@_Matt_ said:

You don't actually mean that :-3

You bad talked Oblivion. I mean it.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

Skyrim all day every day cause holy shit does Oblivion look like crap (namely the character models).

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#31  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Nostalgia : Oblivion

Real Life : Skyrim

Exploration is main focus of these games. Without good looks, exploration ain't that fun. Oblivion has not aged well at all. It looks so bad and empty. It's unplayable and better RPG elements don't help either. While Skyrim has dumbed down RPG elements, its map is smaller but it feels more alive than Oblivion. Its world is more fun to explore. So, Skyrim is a better game imo.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44503 Posts

I liked Oblivion better, the main meat of a TES game is its quests and Oblivion did it better, Skyrim relied too heavily on auto-generated quests.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#33  Edited By Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19551 Posts

Oblivion is hands-down the worst game in the series.

Skyrim is a rubbish RPG which launched in an unfinished state, and features awful writng and generally bad design decisions everywhere...but it's still a solidly entertaining action game.

Oblivion didn't even have that - on top of being bland and shallow, and punishing you for trying to roleplay, the combat was crap and the enemies were realy boring to fight.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By uninspiredcup

@Ballroompirate said:

Skyrim all day every day cause holy shit does Oblivion look like crap (namely the character models).

Mods

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 freedomfreak  Online
Member since 2004 • 52420 Posts

Oblivion. Hated the setting of Skyrim. And the dragons became lame so fast, because they just popped up. Knocked 'em on the head, and went on my way again.

Put like 200 hours into Oblivion, both PC and 360, and I've only put like... 30 or so in Skyrim.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15541 Posts

Both are decent but kinda shitty in a lot of ways. My nod goes to Skyrim though, for a much more interesting world design and art, a better -though still largely mediocre- story, and a lot of improved design elements to help mask some of the weaker aspects of these games, like the level scaling and copy/paste dungeons.

I would also argue that the mod scene for Skyrim is way better. I mean Oblivion's mod scene is huge, but Skyrim's is something else entirely. Everything from complete system overhauls, to 30 hour long fully voiced expansions, to just about any and every item and character you could ever want, all have made their way into Skyrim in some fashion.

OdiusOdium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 OdiusOdium
Member since 2015 • 55 Posts

Skyrim. I struggle going back to Oblivion even with mods. Wish you hadn't ruled out Daggerfall and Morrowind. Ah the good old days.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Ballroompirate

@uninspiredcup said:
@Ballroompirate said:

Mods

Skyrim mods (hell I didn't even pick the best texture mod ether)

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 uninspiredcup

@Ballroompirate said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@Ballroompirate said:

Mods

Skyrim mods (hell I didn't even pick the best texture mod ether)

Considering the age of Oblivion, the above picture impresses me more.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Maroxad

@uninspiredcup said:
@Maroxad said:

Daggerr... well,

Both are half assed, by about quarter of the way into Skyrim being a Rogue is basically god mode regardless of difficulty.

While Skyrim may have had shit mechanics, they were nowhere near as bad as Oblivion's. And it was not rogues that broke skyrim, it was the weapon upgrade system.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By uninspiredcup

@Maroxad said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@Maroxad said:

Daggerr... well,

While Skyrim may have had shit mechanics, they were nowhere near as bad as Oblivion's

Oblivion is considerably harder and thus, more engaging. That alone elevates it above Skryim. When the game has no challenge, it has no point of being played.

All the "perks" might as well be "click here to win".

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Maroxad

@uninspiredcup said:

Oblivion is considerably harder and thus, more engaging. That alone elevates it above Skryim. When the game has no challenge, it has no point of being played.

The only challenge in Oblivion was getting past the massive tedium. Every enemy in the game was nothing but a chore. A game has never needed a challenge to be good, all a game needs to do is to be good at what it strives to do.

Why do you think Mario games, Pillars of Eternity and some Visual Novels like 999 are so well recieved both by gamers and critics alike despite lacking challenge?

ProtossX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 ProtossX
Member since 2005 • 2880 Posts

okay so skyrim = fantasy beautiful open world

oblivion = boring medicore wooden

its a lot like comparing gta 4 to gta 5

ones just meh get this crap outa my face

the other is like wow look what they did etc

ffs man why is this even a question imo

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14788 Posts

I played Oblivion a lot more and had more fun when it came out at the time. I do think Skyrim is the better game though.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Ballroompirate

@uninspiredcup: It's ok, we all know you got shit tastes anyway

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11124 Posts

Overall, I think Skyrim is a better game. But I enjoyed Oblivion and its world, atmosphere and soundtrack a lot more than Skyrim's which feels a little bland to me.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 uninspiredcup

@Maroxad said:
@uninspiredcup said:

The only challenge in Oblivion was getting past the massive tedium.

Nope, objectively Oblivion is harder game.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By uninspiredcup

@Ballroompirate said:

@uninspiredcup: It's ok, we all know you got shit tastes anyway

As a hardcore gamer, eye of tiger, challenge is welcomed.

Sadly, as a hardcore gamer, I (i.e. me) don't like either game, being objective, I simply answered the qeastion correctly and more objectively than anyone else.

bulby_g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 bulby_g
Member since 2005 • 1861 Posts

Skyrim. All the Oblivion Gates got boring after a while. So did Skyrim mind but I still enjoyed it more!

Avatar image for deactivated-597794cd74015
deactivated-597794cd74015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#50 deactivated-597794cd74015
Member since 2012 • 961 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

"Elitist"

Just because you're incapable of playing a game doesn't mean it's bad....................