The co-head of Everybody Has Gone to the Rapture studio quits and is not fond of working with Sony

• 86 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts

I'd like more details of what actually was the issue?

This forum went gung-ho "**** activision" "poor marty" after reading that venturebeat article about Bungie's case, and I'm like an educated human being who understands how English works should have realized Marty went full ego-maniac trying to sell an album.

So otherwise, she herself can't go into details about her issue with Sony. And I would argue it probably has more to do with publishers not willing to go all in on an uncompromised vision of what their end game product is. And that on some level should be pretty easy to accept isn't a Sony thing, but an everyone thing. Fuse was Overstrike when it was announced, look at that games announcement and what it became. They are like night and day. In the case of Bioshock Infinite there are numerous reports about the dev hell that game went through, and how many changes were made because Levine spent so much money and they had to make a commercial product, along with a video game.

The issue she did go into detail about, also isn't some "just another feminist wank" crap, it seems pretty fucking valid, she isn't getting the credit for her own work. She didn't do herself any favors waiting so long to say something, but I feel any human being on some level should empathize with her situation. Her ideas, someone else is getting credit for her ideas, as if she's just Robin to someone else's Batman.

She was unhappy, she is going for something else. Good for her.

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#52 misterpmedia
Member since 2013 • 6209 Posts

Complains about being badly treated, never explicitly mentions how...

Also 1 indie dev out of what must be of hundreds of other indie devs.

Definitely a Saltlem try hard topic.

funkmaster1233

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 funkmaster1233
Member since 2014 • 706 Posts

LMFAO. There have been a half dozen threads like this exposing Sony over the last few weeks and the DC just keeps on coming BAYBAY! BUU BUU THE LEMS HAVE IT IN FOR US! ROFL! IT'S SONY THAT YOU SHOULD BE WORRYING ABOUT!!

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts
@nintendoboy16 said:

One of the devs who helped work on the game mentioned in the OP? (She worked for Chinese Room, who is independent and NOT owned by Sony)

Sorry, but I don't care how well praised a game is. Remember, Nintendo is/was infamous for doing that and yet a lot of games from devs they alienated still got praised even during the NES/SNES era. It doesn't matter as long as they were treated like ass.

A single person was "alienated". A developer (ie studio) was not.

PS4 still got the game. They'll get the next game this dev makes too. So, this isn't an issue for PS4 gamers, at all.

"Nintendo is/was infamous for doing that and yet a lot of games from devs they alienated still got praised even during the NES/SNES era. It doesn't matter as long as they were treated like ass." Literally noone cares, so long as the games still come. No one cares if Square or Konami or Capcom were treated poorly on SNES because we still got Chrono Trigger, Castlevania and Street Fighter. It only became a problem when N64 STOPPED getting games.

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 zeeshanhaider
Member since 2004 • 5524 Posts
@ReadingRainbow4 said:

Sony probably wanted more gameplay and chinese room just couldn't deliver on that front.

Hahahahahaha

This is pure gold.

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#56 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

You can't go to publisher and expect full creative control. The cooperation will always be messy and forced, it's just the price you pay for bigger budget. Chinese Room obviously felt they needed to have amazing graphics and Sony was the one who could deliver the money for it./

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#57 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41598 Posts

@locopatho said:
@nintendoboy16 said:

One of the devs who helped work on the game mentioned in the OP? (She worked for Chinese Room, who is independent and NOT owned by Sony)

Sorry, but I don't care how well praised a game is. Remember, Nintendo is/was infamous for doing that and yet a lot of games from devs they alienated still got praised even during the NES/SNES era. It doesn't matter as long as they were treated like ass.

A single person was "alienated". A developer (ie studio) was not.

PS4 still got the game. They'll get the next game this dev makes too. So, this isn't an issue for PS4 gamers, at all.

"Nintendo is/was infamous for doing that and yet a lot of games from devs they alienated still got praised even during the NES/SNES era. It doesn't matter as long as they were treated like ass." Literally noone cares, so long as the games still come. No one cares if Square or Konami or Capcom were treated poorly on SNES because we still got Chrono Trigger, Castlevania and Street Fighter. It only became a problem when N64 STOPPED getting games.

Even one person can still be considered a dev. Just saying.

"No one cares so long as the games still come". Uh... no! If no one cared, would they be ranting about it? Any criticisms against Nintendo during the NES/SNES era started popping up when SEGA was kicking ass with the Genesis/Mega Drive (remember the censorship complaints over Wolfenstein and Mortal Kombat?) and was getting worse when Sony was nuking everything with the PlayStation 1 and 2. And no, lacking third party was a problem ALL through the N64 era, ever since day freaking one (I mean, only two games, both first party, none third, made it to the N64's launch in the west), when PlayStation got most of the games, not when the N64 "stopped getting games".

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

@misterpmedia said:

Complains about being badly treated, never explicitly mentions how...

Also 1 indie dev out of what must be of hundreds of other indie devs.

Definitely a Saltlem try hard topic.

She's not really an indie dev though. Not anymore. And real indies don't have to complain about Sony because they don't really work all that much with Sony. Sony just allows them to put their games on their platform. When the cooperation starts to get so tight that Sony finances the development then the game isn't really indie anymore.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

@nintendoboy16:

"If no one cared, would they be ranting about it?" - You're the only one ranting, fruitloop.

"Any criticisms against Nintendo during the NES/SNES" - There were virtually none. The NES and SNES were adored in their own time, as well as after.

"lacking third party was a problem ALL through the N64 era" - Yes, that's what I said. "Alienating devs" became a problem when the games stopped coming, which was the N64. It didn't matter to anyone that Konami and Square were miffed in the SNES era, because THEY STILL RELEASED GAMES.

How are you so, so, so unable to understand this? Literally the only thing that matters to gamers is GAMES. Not your crazy theories and conspiracies and grudges, just games. When gamers get games they are happy. When gamers don't get games, they are unhappy. Simple, nay?

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#60 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

@mesome713 said:

Nintendo must be an epic company to work for, nobody ever quits and they grab awesome developers from other studios. I feel bad for the dudes situation, he feels hes no respected enough and wants change, but he needs to understand a lot big companies are like this, this is just the way it is.

Just get well Jessica, focus on your health, your wise to leave the fight to the younger generation, they wont let you down, we have raised these youth to be beast, they will fight to the death, they have the eye of the tiger. In war one must always choose their battles, its time for you to find your place. Thanks you Jessica for your continued service.

What the Christ are you going on about?

Avatar image for deactivated-58ce94803a170
deactivated-58ce94803a170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 deactivated-58ce94803a170
Member since 2015 • 8822 Posts

@Jaysonguy: Jessica has a disease and was getting stressed from the work, she had to take a break.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

@mesome713 said:

@Jaysonguy: Jessica has a disease and was getting stressed from the work, she had to take a break.

So what's all that nonsense about youth and service?

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

I just can't believe someone would go to the press bad mouthing a publisher like that, obviously she does not want to work again. Who would hire her now with a risk of that happening to them.

It sounds like to me she doesn't understand that when a company pays you for a project they want something in return and treats you like an employee. Should have stayed independent if you didn't what that. I think someone like Kojima fully understands that and didn't winge about it, or maybe he will.

Avatar image for deactivated-58ce94803a170
deactivated-58ce94803a170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170
Member since 2015 • 8822 Posts

@Jaysonguy said:
@mesome713 said:

So what's all that nonsense about youth and service?

Its to help motivate her in getting well.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#65 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12073 Posts

Sony is scummy. Just look at this and the recent COD digital preorder being taken down from The One marketplace. Pure villainy and evil.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6
deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#66 deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6
Member since 2013 • 2638 Posts

@sovkhan said:

@acp_45

The truth is that there are problems in any corp!!!

Trying to use these "truths" common to all to downplay one corps...is debatable.

SW - System Wars

This place disgusts me....but sometimes some good threads are made.

If people see that one company does something that could make even the smallest spark....they'll post it here... whether it's for their benefit or not. But when it comes to fanboyism...it becomes something entirely different. If their beloved Sony or MS gets some flak....debates end up being mindless and without structure.

Debatable....?

Try then.

drinkerofjuice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#67 drinkerofjuice
Member since 2007 • 4567 Posts

Her frustrations seem valid, at least to the extent where her credit for the game more or less went unrecognized. But it also doesn't look like she quite understood what she was getting herself into when it came to working with a major publisher.

At any rate, this is clearly an industry issue and not a Sony one. But of course the majority of you don't seem to know how to read. Either that you're just choosing to be stupid.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

When was the last time someone actually claimed that Sony is a benevolent love spirit and not a company that acts on its interests? I see the point of the thread but I don't get the point of it. Is anyone ever really saying that Sony is something other than what it is?

Sometimes, well a lot of times, it seems like Lems are creating a straw man argument in System Wars so they have something to talk about while they're getting reamed everywhere else. It's weird.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#69 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@Salt_The_Fries said:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-10-09-everybodys-gone-to-the-rapture-studio-co-head-departs-pens-frank-blog-post-why

" [...] The post continues with a personal account of working for a publisher - an experience it is clear that Curry did not enjoy.

Everybody's Gone to the Rapture launched in August exclusively for PlayStation 4, in collaboration with Sony's own internal Santa Monica Studio.

"So much of the stress that I experienced was caused by what I see as the desperately toxic relationship that I was in," Curry writes. "I look back at the way we were treated and it still makes me shake my head with disbelief.

"I want to surround myself with honest, open people whom I can trust. I've heard so many people say, 'well, this is just the way publishers are' and 'this is just what the games industry is like'.

"What I would say to that is while we all keep accepting this, while we are so afraid to challenge this behaviour then it won't change and we all deserve nothing but the meager crumbs we are thrown."

--

Bu...bu...buu...but "Sony <3 Indies"

Accept it, frigging shills, it's just a corporation like every else company in the business.

By the way I truly feel sorry for her. Her life story makes me really sad :(

That is one person describing his situation, so that describes an entire company, not just that the entirety of everyone working with Sony? Fucking hell dude, tell me you're not that stupid? It's a shame he didn't have a good experience, not everyone goes along with each other unfortunately

oflow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#70 oflow
Member since 2003 • 5185 Posts

@Shewgenja said:

Sometimes, well a lot of times, it seems like Lems are creating a straw man argument in System Wars so they have something to talk about while they're getting reamed everywhere else. It's weird.

Pot meet kettle. You are like the Scarecrow of strawmanning and SW is your Oz. Pretty much all of your posts are pretty much strawman conjecture BS. Only person worse than you is probably Xboxstache.

davem1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 davem1992
Member since 2009 • 4068 Posts

@kuu2 said:

Sony is scummy. Just look at this and the recent COD digital preorder being taken down from The One marketplace. Pure villainy and evil.

Stop talking.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 kuu2

@davem1992: The Cows are so fragile.

davem1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 davem1992
Member since 2009 • 4068 Posts

@kuu2 said:

@davem1992: The Cows are so fragile.

Yet I'm playing Ace Attorney 5 on the Nintendo 3DS, stop talking lem.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

@kuu2: you do know that Activision flatly denied being the ones who took down the preorder, right?

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 kuu2

@Shewgenja: all of a sudden Activision and Soony are trustworthy. Ha! And there is nothing from them on Twitter about it. It was also on Amazon too. Scummy.

sovkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By sovkhan
Member since 2015 • 1591 Posts

@acp_45 said:
@sovkhan said:

@acp_45

Trying to use these "truths" common to all to downplay one corps...is debatable.

SW - System Wars

If people see that one company does something that could make even the smallest spark....they'll post it here... whether it's for their benefit or not. But when it comes to fanboyism...it becomes something entirely different. If their beloved Sony or MS gets some flak....debates end up being mindless and without structure.

Debatable....?

Try then.

The very purpose of this thread is pretty clear for everyone but you!!!

No need to be a fanboy to figure it out!!!

Or maybe you are trying a bit too hard???

Avatar image for carljohnson3456
carljohnson3456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#78 carljohnson3456
Member since 2007 • 12489 Posts

@SolidTy: You destroyed this thread. Props. Very entertaining. lol.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#79 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@carljohnson3456: Truly I say to you...Thanks carl!

I had a blast writing the respectful but surefire ownage, lol.

I wasn't sure anyone else enjoyed it, but now I'm glad I went forward with that submit button, haha!

starripper1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 starripper1
Member since 2015 • 8 Posts

Their paychecks probably bounced, or Sony tried to pay them with Walkmans instead of cash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6

@sovkhan said:
@acp_45 said:
@sovkhan said:

@acp_45

SW - System Wars

Debatable....?

Try then.

The purpose of this thread was to put a spotlight on a recent event that involved a problem in a corp ( as you said...). You have a problem with this since problems in corps is common knowledge.

Or did I misunderstand.

sovkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 sovkhan
Member since 2015 • 1591 Posts

@acp_45 said:
@sovkhan said:
@acp_45 said:
@sovkhan said:

@acp_45

SW - System Wars

Debatable....?

Try then.

The purpose of this thread was to put a spotlight on a recent event that involved a problem in a corp ( as you said...). You have a problem with this since problems in corps is common knowledge.

Or did I misunderstand.

social thread in SW...How cute :)

Better move it to another section and it's fixed.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6

@sovkhan said:
@acp_45 said:
@sovkhan said:
@acp_45 said:
@sovkhan said:

@acp_45

SW - System Wars

Debatable....?

Try then.

Or did I misunderstand.

social thread in SW...How cute :)

Better move it to another section and it's fixed.

You're avoiding the point I'm trying to make.

But I might have misunderstood.

You not wanting to clear it up.....is suggesting something.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46709 Posts

It's a sad story indeed, but I have no clue as to why she does this.

Why would she speak against Sony, when that is still the only place you can get their games. This kind of PR hurts your sales and your company.

@NoodleFighter said:

If only they had just stuck with PC

Yeah well, sometimes companies have to hit their head to realise PC wasn't that bad after all. Look at Epic, Crytek, ...

Avatar image for deactivated-58abb194ab6fb
deactivated-58abb194ab6fb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By deactivated-58abb194ab6fb
Member since 2010 • 3984 Posts

Look at the fanboys now in attack mode saying the game was trash when I'm pretty sure I seen quite a few of you'll in here hyping up the game when it was launched and how it got higher score than the Halo remakes on gamespot lol. So predictable. I even saw some of you'll putting down the list of Playstatoin games this year and putting "AAA" next to this title lol.

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 AM-Gamer
Member since 2012 • 8116 Posts

Is this the bitch who cried about women being treated bad in the gaming industry?

The only thing her game is good for is to use it as another AAA in SW but in all honesty I could give two shits about this game.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#87 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

I wouldn't be surprised, the AAA industry are ran by a bunch of marketing executive shills that have experience in retail (and are obsessed with Margin) with no experience in game development.... This has led to much of the industry pushing for the bottom line over anything else..

Livecommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 Livecommander
Member since 2009 • 1388 Posts

This still doesnt compare to the amount of xbox articles i read that are similar. So if anything this thread is basically saying "finally sombody got mistreated at sony" lol