The co-head of Everybody Has Gone to the Rapture studio quits and is not fond of working with Sony

• 86 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-10-09-everybodys-gone-to-the-rapture-studio-co-head-departs-pens-frank-blog-post-why

" [...] The post continues with a personal account of working for a publisher - an experience it is clear that Curry did not enjoy.

Everybody's Gone to the Rapture launched in August exclusively for PlayStation 4, in collaboration with Sony's own internal Santa Monica Studio.

"So much of the stress that I experienced was caused by what I see as the desperately toxic relationship that I was in," Curry writes. "I look back at the way we were treated and it still makes me shake my head with disbelief.

"I want to surround myself with honest, open people whom I can trust. I've heard so many people say, 'well, this is just the way publishers are' and 'this is just what the games industry is like'.

"What I would say to that is while we all keep accepting this, while we are so afraid to challenge this behaviour then it won't change and we all deserve nothing but the meager crumbs we are thrown."

--

Bu...bu...buu...but "Sony <3 Indies"

Accept it, frigging shills, it's just a corporation like every else company in the business.

By the way I truly feel sorry for her. Her life story makes me really sad :(

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22389 Posts

Hmmmm... sad.

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

This isn't system wars fodder. Get a life.

I remember watching of an interview with her in the lead up to Rapture's release and being impresssed. Shame things worked out like that.

Daious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4 Daious
Member since 2013 • 2315 Posts

It seems to be a general issue with publishers in the vg industry overall.

I think Bungie's legal issues have really brought that to light.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11803 Posts

If only they had just stuck with PC

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59100 Posts

Dat Sony support.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

@StrongBlackVine said:

This isn't system wars fodder. Get a life.

I remember watching of an interview with her in the lead up to Rapture's release and being impresssed. Shame things worked out like that.

Indystation4 isn't even the best at indies. Man. I guess you guys get an exclusive movie game now and then. lol.

dankeykang37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 dankeykang37
Member since 2015 • 33 Posts

Another lemming overreaction thread because OP is scared of the price cut. lmao.

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

@Jankarcop: That was weak even for you.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By NyaDC
Member since 2014 • 8006 Posts

@dankeykang37 said:

Another lemming overreaction thread because OP is scared of the price cut. lmao.

How screwed up do you have to be to even come to a conclusion like that... Not even for a second did this come to my head, even after you saying it it's just as dumb.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#12 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Yeah,,, should've thought about it before you turned your PC game into PS4 exclusive.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

Who cares? That game looks like shit. She should have been fired for making lame ass walking simulators.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50597 Posts

Salty calling other shills? Yikes.

OT, two sides to every coin.

davem1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15  Edited By davem1992
Member since 2009 • 4068 Posts

So that's 1 indie dev that has had one bad experience working with Sony, show me more and I'll believe that they're bad to work with.

Least Sony works with indie devs unlike a certain other company who only wants their fanboys to be "first rate gamers"

intotheminx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 intotheminx
Member since 2014 • 2608 Posts

Game looks terrible, but hopefully devs learn from this.

soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 soulitane
Member since 2010 • 15091 Posts

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

Who cares? That game looks like shit. She should have been fired for making lame ass walking simulators.

Fired for making the game she was hired to make?

sovkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By sovkhan
Member since 2015 • 1591 Posts

Picking up a testimony that serves your agenda is dishonest at best...

Anyone can provide you with many others saying the exact opposite, so what is your point exactly???

Nice try though!!!

Avatar image for deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6
deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19 deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6
Member since 2013 • 2638 Posts

@dankeykang37 said:

.....this point still stands...

What now ?

Run away ?

Avatar image for deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6
deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6
Member since 2013 • 2638 Posts

@sovkhan said:

Picking up a testimony that serves your agenda is dishonest at best...

Anyone can provide you with many others saying the exact opposite, so what is your point exactly???

Nice try though!!!

Even so...

The truth is that in this case .....

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

Looks like she's gone to Rapture, literally.

sovkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By sovkhan
Member since 2015 • 1591 Posts

@acp_45

The truth is that there are problems in any corp!!!

Trying to use these "truths" common to all to downplay one corps...is debatable.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 LJS9502_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 178858 Posts

An employee isn't happy with the boss. In other news.....water is wet. Non story. Sad that SW is reduced to this.

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

Join the loving arms of MS....they changed baby, you'll see. Phil is an honest cat.

darklight4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 darklight4
Member since 2009 • 2094 Posts

@chikenfriedrice said:

Join the loving arms of MS....they changed baby, you'll see. Phil is an honest cat.

I seriously hope you are being sarcastic.

One employee being pissed off hardly warrants attention however if this was a regular occurrence with other devs you would have a point.

Also lol at fries calling people shills.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

System Wars whines and cries, but PS4 still got another AAA game. Deal with it *puts on shades*

Avatar image for deactivated-58ce94803a170
deactivated-58ce94803a170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#27  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170
Member since 2015 • 8822 Posts

Nintendo must be an epic company to work for, nobody ever quits and they grab awesome developers from other studios. I feel bad for the dudes situation, he feels hes no respected enough and wants change, but he needs to understand a lot big companies are like this, this is just the way it is.

Just get well Jessica, focus on your health, your wise to leave the fight to the younger generation, they wont let you down, we have raised these youth to be beast, they will fight to the death, they have the eye of the tiger. In war one must always choose their battles, its time for you to find your place. Thanks you Jessica for your continued service.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#28 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41561 Posts

Another fucking example that even Sony alienates third party devs.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

@nintendoboy16 said:

What 3rd party did they alienate? Everybody's Gone To The Rapture just came out for PS4 (scored AAA here, btw) and they'll almost certainly get the next game from this developer as well.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@locopatho said:
@nintendoboy16 said:

What 3rd party did they alienate? Everybody's Gone To The Rapture just came out for PS4 (scored AAA here, btw) and they'll almost certainly get the next game from this developer as well.

^

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

Sony probably wanted more gameplay and chinese room just couldn't deliver on that front.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 nintendoboy16

@locopatho said:
@nintendoboy16 said:

One of the devs who helped work on the game mentioned in the OP? (She worked for Chinese Room, who is independent and NOT owned by Sony)

Sorry, but I don't care how well praised a game is. Remember, Nintendo is/was infamous for doing that and yet a lot of games from devs they alienated still got praised even during the NES/SNES era. It doesn't matter as long as they were treated like ass.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

Not surprised that Sony is full of misogynist pigs. They are the home of Cod and Destiny after all.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#35 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

An employee isn't happy with the boss. In other news.....water is wet. Non story. Sad that SW is reduced to this.

>Implying System Wars wasn't already at this level

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

This employee is obviously a Lem that can't handle all that #SDC

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#37 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

I am not fond of any chinese room games but I think they should've stuck with their original fanbase and kickstarted EGTR. Atleast then they couldn't complain about big publishers being "mean" to them.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By SolidTy

@nintendoboy16 said:
@locopatho said:
@nintendoboy16 said:

One of the devs who helped work on the game mentioned in the OP? (She worked for Chinese Room, who is independent and NOT owned by Sony)

Sorry, but I don't care how well praised a game is. Remember, Nintendo is/was infamous for doing that and yet a lot of games from devs they alienated still got praised even during the NES/SNES era. It doesn't matter as long as they were treated like ass.

Yes, but you said, "Another fucking example that even Sony alienates third party devs."

You said, "Another", then you used "3rd party Devs" plural. As if you are pointing to a recent trend of them alienating 3rd party devs. You also threw in "fucking" showing some sort of animosity and emotion on the event but haven't explained what other 3rd party devs besides the music composer in the OP.

What was the other "fucking examples" and truth be told, this example isn't much of an example at all. It's a personal blog written by someone who is quitting an indie studio and she has issues with her husband (and she is quitting his studio to follow music, what she did for the last game) and she has big problems with the game industry among other things.

There is nothing here to get worked up for or any tangible evidence of anything other than she doesn't feel well as she is sick and suffering from a degenerate disease.

The woman in the OP suffers from a degenerative disease and refuses to go into detail on what she is talking about so this is all vague and in her blog. We know that she did music for the independent 3rd party dev (The Chinese Room) and that she also is leaving the 3rd Party studio (The Chinese Room) ran by her husband as well, so she has issues with a lot of things.

The actual majority of her blog was complaining about the game industry and portion complained about her husband who runs the indie studio.

However, the click-bait summary in the OP painted a far, far different picture and huge spin. She didn't even go into any details and she is now pursuing a large-scale music project.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b0367b217732
deactivated-5b0367b217732

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#39 deactivated-5b0367b217732
Member since 2014 • 1697 Posts

@FoxbatAlpha said:

Looks like she's gone to Rapture, literally.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 nintendoboy16

@SolidTy said:
@nintendoboy16 said:
@locopatho said:
@nintendoboy16 said:

Yes, but you said, "Another fucking example that even Sony alienates third party devs."

You said, "Another", then you used "3rd party Devs" plural. As if you are pointing to a recent trend of them alienating 3rd party devs. You also threw in "fucking" showing some sort of animosity and emotion on the event but haven't explained what other 3rd party devs besides the music composer in the OP.

What was the other "fucking examples" and truth be told, this example isn't much of an example at all. It's a personal blog written by someone who is quitting an indie studio and she has issues with her husband (and she is quitting his studio to follow music, what she did for the last game) and she has big problems with the game industry among other things.

There is nothing here to get worked up for or any tangible evidence of anything other than she doesn't feel well as she is sick and suffering from a degenerate disease.

The woman in the OP suffers from a degenerative disease and refuses to go into detail on what she is talking about so this is all vague and in her blog. We know that she did music for the independent 3rd party dev (The Chinese Room) and that she also is leaving the 3rd Party studio (The Chinese Room) ran by her husband as well, so she has issues with a lot of things.

The actual majority of her blog was complaining about the game industry and portion complained about her husband who runs the indie studio.

However, the click-bait summary in the OP painted a far, far different picture and huge spin. She didn't even go into any details and she is now pursuing a large-scale music project.

Okay Ty, you want "another" example of Sony alienating third parties? How about with Shinji Mikami during the PS2 era, much to the point where he said "cut his head off" (I know that's not literal) if he ever saw RE4 come to PS2?

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#41 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

I can't wait till the internet fem***** turn this into a "sexist" issue.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Chutebox

@nintendoboy16 said:
@SolidTy said:
@nintendoboy16 said:
@locopatho said:
@nintendoboy16 said:

Okay Ty, you want "another" example of Sony alienating third parties? How about with Shinji Mikami during the PS2 era, much to the point where he said "cut his head off" (I know that's not literal) if he ever saw RE4 come to PS2?

Haha, you went to the PS2 era for an example?

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 nintendoboy16

@Chutebox said:
@nintendoboy16 said:
@SolidTy said:
@nintendoboy16 said:
@locopatho said:

Do you expect history to erase? Hell, I've mentioned the NES/SNES era in terms of how bad Nintendo's relationship was with third parties when the right arguments arose.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#44 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58408 Posts

Started out by making game for all platforms

Dollar signs in eyes means PS exclusive

Hates on Sony after release

...I Have a problem with this person blaming Sony, when their choices led them to only Sony, and they could have gone any where.

Also she likely made a crapload of money and is now badmouthing the people that fattened her bank account. Poor form.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Chutebox

@nintendoboy16 said:
@Chutebox said:

Do you expect history to erase? Hell, I've mentioned the NES/SNES era in terms of how bad Nintendo's relationship was with third parties when the right arguments arose.

What? Where did you get this from? I'm just pointing out that their relationship with third parties is pretty damn good if that's the example you came up with.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By SolidTy

@nintendoboy16 said:
@SolidTy said:
@nintendoboy16 said:
@locopatho said:

You said, "Another", then you used "3rd party Devs" plural.

As if you are pointing to a recent trend of them alienating 3rd party devs.

You also threw in "fucking" showing some sort of animosity and emotion on the event but haven't explained what other 3rd party devs besides the music composer in the OP.

Perhaps you missed my post:

"As if you are pointing to a recent trend of them alienating 3rd party devs."

Keyword was "recent".

Your example wasn't recent at all.

I understand if we go back through Atari, Nintendo, Sega, Capcom, Konami, Sony, Namco, etc history we will find something somewhere.

It's true, the PS2 was hard to code for. Mikami had confirmed he was frustrated developing for PlayStation 2, which was tough to work with. Mikami signed a deal with Nintendo to release five games and there was a huge PR stunt where Mikami shook hands with his idol Miyamoto. People stated they would wait for the RE4 PS2 port and Mikami wanted to make sure RE4 sold well on the Nintendo Gamecube. So, you when Mikami said in circa 2003-2004 in the PS2 era that if his RE4 game released on the PS2 he would cut his own head off, he was telling people to buy the Gamecube version because there wasn't going to be a PS2 version (clearly that wasn't true.).

My point:

You waited a nearly 13 years when Mikami first said in a PR statement that if his RE4 released on PS2 he would cut off his head and then saw you saw this "sickly" music composer complaining about her husband, working with her husband at his indie studio, quitting the 3rd party studio, complaining about her disease, she even made a vague reference to her stress in making the game, and she complained about the entire game industry in her blog and you then opted to finally post after the long 13 year wait:

"Another fucking example that even Sony alienates third party devs."

I just expected more since you used profanity and seemed upset at "another" f****ing example. I didn't realize that you had been thinking of Mikami's RE4 promo back in the PS2 era (2000). Then with this entire OP being far to vague and I had to read the blog myself, it just seemed you were too eager to jump the gun and point a finger; it looks like that at least.

It terms of describing Sony alienating 3rd parties, and given the context and time of this thread, it seemed like your post was pointing out an awful current trend with Sony "alienating 3rd parties" and your post seemed fused with emotion. It turns out, after my post, that you meant something else entirely and were speaking of Mikami's 2003-2004 statement about RE4.

You are right, in that time, Mikami wasn't a fan of the PS2 platform and how hard it was to make games on it. It took some PS3 humble pie to get where we are today. Today for instance, we have access to this sickly lady's incredibly vague blog about her quitting an indie studio run by her husband. At this studio she composed music for the game and worked with her husband there. She didn't quit Sony, she just quit game development (well the music part) leaving the indie studio, while her husband will stay and run the studio as he was doing. She seems upset at the game industry as well, as the majority of her blog is dedicated to the game industry and she had gripes about working with her husband (that part of the blog was far more detailed than anything about Sony, in fact she only mentioned the word "Sony" once).

This was the sentence with Sony in her blog: "Dan went to LA and while he was there he told Sony about it" (Her husband's name is Dan, btw).

TBH, after reading the blog...the blog is SUPER vague, we honestly shouldn't even be talking about it as news, let alone a "fucking example" of anything. The blog was just used as ammo for an agenda, which we all know should know by now.

That's the beauty of this spin piece, it omits the majority of content from the blog to point a finger at Sony. Even the title of this thread is funny once one reads the blog. People get paid to be misinforming and create clickbait. I just wish it wasn't as effective as it is, that's all.

Thanks though for responding. I hope you are having a good weekend! :)

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By SolidTy

@mrbojangles25 said:

Started out by making game for all platforms

Dollar signs in eyes means PS exclusive

Hates on Sony after release

...I Have a problem with this person blaming Sony, when their choices led them to only Sony, and they could have gone any where.

Also she likely made a crapload of money and is now badmouthing the people that fattened her bank account. Poor form.

Yeah, she worked with her husband's indie studio and she composed music for the game.

She's quitting her husband's studio to go make music with a poet. However, since she is married, she'll still have access to the game studio's future successes and $$$.

They will just have to hire a new music composer to fill her shoes in the next game.

She's an artistic music type and goes on to say, "Big business and the creation of art have always been extremely uncomfortable bedfellows...".

It's the age old Creatives vs. the Suits. Her husband will continue to run the indie studio and she's quitting, partially because she's sick.

I agree, it's poor form. I've noticed though, people will overlook their money when complaining about their boss or whatever. It's easy to bite the hand that feeds.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

Another feminist load of bullshit.

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#49 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

@Salt_The_Fries: Dude, your Sony hate is the most fanboyish and hilarious thing is SW today. It's like you're a cartoon character.

Remember when you you wondering why everyone called you a fanboy? Here you go.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

@santoron: You Yourself are a fanboy even if you pretend to not have preferences or bias. There was one particular time 4 months ago when you showed your true colors but I decided not to point it out. I guess I should have.