R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46299 Posts

That is on IGN at least, Gamespot isn't willing to commit to any score yet.

Gotta say from what little I've seen and played from the game I like how true to its roots this seems and there isn't gimmicky stuff like Street Fighter's colors or Mortal Kombat 1's companion system.

Seems like a fun 3D fighter, will you be getting this?

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44066 Posts

lol :P

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By GirlUSoCrazy
Member since 2015 • 1055 Posts

I thought it's an 8 on GameSpot?

What's this "in progress" but they give it a score already? How does that work?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#5 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58977 Posts

@girlusocrazy said:

It means they can quickly bang out a review for clicks rather than have integrity and finish it first.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58318 Posts

I'm happy for fighter fans, seems like they don't get a lot of games these days outside of MK and Street Fighter.

Spelamera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7 Spelamera
Member since 2024 • 72 Posts

Looks good, have any fighting game ever got 10/10 ?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By uninspiredcup
@mrbojangles25 said:

I'm happy for fighter fans, seems like they don't get a lot of games these days outside of MK and Street Fighter.

Not true. Masses of fighting games active. Albeit in small communities.

The problem is that to be remotely good at even "one" have to invest a staggering amount of time.

Notice Conan died as soon as SF6 released?

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 GirlUSoCrazy

@uninspiredcup said:
@girlusocrazy said:

It means they can quickly bang out a review for clicks rather than have integrity and finish it first.

😁

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By GirlUSoCrazy

@spelamera: I'd give Virtua Fighter 4 a 10/10

Gamespot gave it a 9.3...

Edit: I just saw they gave Soul Calibur a 10. So I guess that's the one. VF is better tho.

Spelamera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Spelamera
Member since 2024 • 72 Posts

@girlusocrazy said:

@spelamera: I'd give Virtua Fighter 4 a 10/10

Gamespot gave it a 9.3...

Edit: I just saw they gave Soul Calibur a 10. So I guess that's the one. VF is better tho.

Oh cool, no surprise i guess, Soul Calibur was awesome back in the day

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#12 Litchie  Online
Member since 2003 • 34615 Posts

No, probably not. I'd be all over it if I had friends who were fighting game fans, but I do not. Playing against AI or sweatlords online ain't much fun.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 R4gn4r0k

@uninspiredcup said:
@girlusocrazy said:

Finishing as in unlocking all the fighters?

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 R4gn4r0k

@Litchie said:

No, probably not. I'd be all over it if I had friends who were fighting game fans, but I do not. Playing against AI or sweatlords online ain't much fun.

Even playing with friends is not ideal as the skillgap can be really wide. The difference between someone who somewhat knows what they are doing and someone who somewhat knows what they are doing ever so slightly more is already huge.

That is why I far prefer Smash Bros if I'm looking for a cool fighting game with friends where anyone can have fun.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 R4gn4r0k
@spelamera said:

Looks good, have any fighting game ever got 10/10 ?

Yeah Soul Calibur 2 did in a lot of places, not sure if the first one did but it was close though.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By uninspiredcup

Part of the fun of a fighting game is learning to overcome the overwhelming wall of failure.

It's just like DragonballZ but irl.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 R4gn4r0k

@uninspiredcup said:

Part of the fun of a fighting game is learning to overcome the overwhelming wall of failure.

Dragon Ball Z is already the Dragon Ball Z of fighting games, why do we need any more?

Get rid of 'em I say.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By GirlUSoCrazy

@R4gn4r0k: Probably finishing as in spending some time doing online matches with real players and not just the review community.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts

@SecretPolice said:

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 R4gn4r0k

@girlusocrazy said:

@R4gn4r0k: Probably finishing as in spending some time doing online matches with real players and not just the review community.

Lol I've seen some truly funny reviews where the testing batch was all closed off with journalists. And in the reviews you'd see the same footage over and over from different perspectives.

Anyway, back in the 90s unlocking fighters was a huge part of these games, but due to the rise of preorder bonusses and DLC this has disappeared, so I as kinda making an in-joke ^^

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44066 Posts

@Heil68 said:
@SecretPolice said:

Fighting games just don't do it for me these dayzzz. ;o

But...

lololol :P

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 R4gn4r0k
@Heil68 said:
@SecretPolice said:

Get outta my thread you fighting game heathens :p

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By GirlUSoCrazy

@R4gn4r0k: OIC, that's funny, I never watched the videos so I didn't notice. I liked back when everything was included. I'd rather buy a new Turbo & Super version of a game if all the characters, costumes, and balancing were included than get the piecemeal DLC.

I still like getting each character's ending fwiw, and becoming familiar with their moves/strategy so you become knowledgeable about all the opponents you could face.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts

@SecretPolice said:
@Heil68 said:
@SecretPolice said:

Fighting games just don't do it for me these dayzzz. ;o

But...

lololol :P

That's what I meant to say! I don't care for them..haha

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 R4gn4r0k

@girlusocrazy said:

@R4gn4r0k: OIC, that's funny, I never watched the videos so I didn't notice. I liked back when everything was included. I'd rather buy a new Turbo & Super version of a game if all the characters, costumes, and balancing were included than get the piecemeal DLC.

I still like getting each character's ending fwiw, and becoming familiar with their moves/strategy so you become knowledgeable about all the opponents you could face.

Yup, same here, I like waiting for complete editions. In fact right around MK1 launch they sold MK11 complete with all DLC for 5 bucks.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By uninspiredcup
@R4gn4r0k said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Dragon Ball Z is already the Dragon Ball Z of fighting games, why do we need any more?

Get rid of 'em I say.

Need to play at least 40-50 hours of getting continually beat on to reach competent, after about 400-1000 hours of playing where you reach Super Ultra level (smurfing against new players) realize actually wasted a massive amount of time on nothing constructive on a game with a community you mostly hate.

Smash is for children. The adults playing are typically on a list.

DanishAnwar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By DanishAnwar
Member since 2023 • 348 Posts

Looks like a definite buy for me. I already have SF6. Most likely add this to my collection of recent fighting games.

I am amazed by players who put in 100s of hours in this game to target ranking. There is no real achievement in attaining a specific rank. Instead, get an arcade stick, and practice for offline tournaments. The payout is huge.*

*Gamers8 event payout for this game alone was $1,000,000. The TWT Finals event payout was $100,000. And this sum is likely gonna increase overtime.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By GirlUSoCrazy

@R4gn4r0k: That's a sweet deal. I find myself ignoring more fighting games because of all the content that isn't included. Sounds like I should stick to one generation behind and I'll be good.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44183 Posts

Excellent. Got it pre-ordered myself. Hopefully it’ll be shipped soon so I get it this Friday. With so many good fighting games available these days it’s a great time to be a fan.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 R4gn4r0k

@uninspiredcup said:

Need to play at least 40-50 hours of getting continually beat on to reach competent, after about 400-1000 hours of playing where you reach Super Ultra level (smurfing against new players) realize actually wasted a massive amount of time on nothing constructive on a game with a community you mostly hate.

I understand that inching ever so closer to peak masculinity (much muscles, very big) is satisfying, you're basically asking people to lose to random strangers on the internet for match after match. Which isn't a great proposition.

I know because I play RTS games and one of the main problems with that genre is keeping a playerbase. People don't really like match after match improving very little every time.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 R4gn4r0k
@girlusocrazy said:

@R4gn4r0k: That's a sweet deal. I find myself ignoring more fighting games because of all the content that isn't included. Sounds like I should stick to one generation behind and I'll be good.

Honestly that is not a bad idea and has worked so far for me. If you buy Soul Calibur 6 and MK 11 around these days they can be very cheap AND with all the DLC/fighters included.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By uninspiredcup
@R4gn4r0k said:
@uninspiredcup said:

I understand that inching ever so closer to peak masculinity (much muscles, very big) is satisfying, you're basically asking people to lose to random strangers on the internet for match after match. Which isn't a great proposition.

I know because I play RTS games and one of the main problems with that genre is keeping a playerbase. People don't really like match after match improving very little every time.

This is essentially the purpose of single player, for both genres. Brain-dead AI to give easy gratification.

The long term gratification is more finite appeal but a far better reward. Less vapid in nature.

Strategy as an example isn't quite the same. It generally hasn't got the visual appeal to lure casual players in that fighting games have unless it's something specific like Total War.

Even if playing a traditional RTS casually, much of the time it is still entirely mechanics doing the heavy lifting. (Bassman will not play these)

Fighting games now specifically try to be all things to all people. Going so far now as to have glorified anime movies where much of the time aren't even touching the controller.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By R4gn4r0k

@uninspiredcup said:
@R4gn4r0k said:
@uninspiredcup said:

This is essentially the purpose of single player, for both genres. Brain-dead AI to give easy gratification.

The long term gratification is more finite appeal but a far better reward. Less vapid in nature.

Strategy as an example isn't quite the same. It generally hasn't got the visual appeal to lure casual players in that fighting games have unless it's something specific like Total War.

Even if playing a traditional RTS casually, much of the time it is still entirely mechanics doing the heavy lifting. (Bassman will not play these)

Fighting games now specifically try to be all things to all people. Going so far now as to have glorified anime movies where much of the time aren't even touching the controller.

I agree with a lot of what you're saying. My eyes truly got opened when I started playing RTS online and left the AI behind me.

I played over 2000 hours of Company of Heroes 2 and hundreds of hours of Age of Empires series online.

It's like Plato stepping out of the cave.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7271 Posts

@girlusocrazy: @R4gn4r0k: Now that 8 is out, I might actually buy Tekken 7.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16539 Posts

@SecretPolice: gamepass or bust? Lol

GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By GhostOfGolden
Member since 2023 • 2466 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:
@girlusocrazy said:

They even had a freelance writer do the review. That tells you what GameSpot thinks of Tekken.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8223 Posts

Can't wait Tekken is awesome, will be maining king and dragonov

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 uninspiredcup

@ghostofgolden said:

They even had a freelance writer do the review. That tells you what GameSpot thinks of Tekken.

I think most of the staff swaps round the clock anyways. Only people that seemed to remain are Lucy James, Tamoor Hussain and Eddie The Eagle Clickbait Makuch.

But yea, as a concept I hate "review in progress", think IGN does it as well. Smacks of "lets bang this shit out as soon as possible".

As a PC guys as well reviewers on Gamespot are also largely useless as they typically only review the review copy (console) and just copy paste shit for PC.

The platforms should be reviewed completely independently with someone who has a basic understanding of the PC platform.

Partly why Youtube reviewers started overtaking them as a source for info, shit like TotalBiscuit back in the day

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3479 Posts

It's Tekken. The king of iron fist tournament. There's a reason why it's the gold standard of fighting games.

Nothing beats the mighty Tekken 3 that made Virtua Fighter and Street Fighter look like shit.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Last_Lap
Member since 2023 • 6051 Posts

Never played a Tekken game, I always saw it as a poor man's VIrtua Fighter.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3479 Posts

@last_lap: Watch some comparison videos. Tekken 3 was revolutionary.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 uninspiredcup

@last_lap said:

Never played a Tekken game, I always saw it as a poor man's VIrtua Fighter.

Tekken 3 is vastly inferior to Virtual Fighter.

Everyone knows this but Tekken fans.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Archangel3371

I always gravitated more towards Tekken over Virtua Fighter myself. Just found the presentation and story aspect of VF way too bland for my liking compared to Tekken.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By judaspete

@uninspiredcup: @last_lap: Virtua Fighter is better than Tekken, but Tekken is not a "poor man's" anything. That would be Dead or Alive.

Edit: Actually, it would be Battle Arena Toshinden.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Archangel3371

I thought that it was Street Fighter that was a poor man’s Tekken. 😅

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Last_Lap
Member since 2023 • 6051 Posts

@judaspete: I'd take Dead Or Alive over Tekken any day.

As for Toshinden, be careful.there as that series is what Sony leant on heavily during the Saturn/PS1 era to battle Sega with because they had little to no first party games.

Actually, scratch that most cows here are too young to know what Toshinden was and how it helped Sony back in the PS1 era, lol.

GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 GhostOfGolden
Member since 2023 • 2466 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

As a PC guys as well reviewers on Gamespot are also largely useless as they typically only review the review copy (console) and just copy paste shit for PC.

The platforms should be reviewed completely independently with someone who has a basic understanding of the PC platform.

Yeah, those are gripes of mine as well. Most publications receive consoles and the staff uses them for coverage, so I get it. But these folks having a basic understanding of the PC platform might be asking a little much. I trusted the former Giant Bomb staff with PC coverage until they tried to build a new office gaming PC on stream. It was REALLY eye opening. Now I use a mix of reviews from people I trust mixed with performance benchmarks for PC coverage. It’s too bad consumers have to do so much work to get the full story on PC games.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 judaspete

@last_lap: Honestly, I'm with you. DOA, VF, and Soul Calibur are all more fun to me than Tekken. But Tekken is bigger, deeper, more complex, and absolutely trounces all else content wise. Everything is the poor man's game in comparison.

Which I guess makes me the poor man.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45120 Posts

That’s awesome. Seems like we’re in the golden era of fighting games.