Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#201 Chutebox  Online
Member since 2007 • 50568 Posts

@madsnakehhh said:

Damn ... game's success is living rent free in @texasgoldrush head, the meltdown is real, i haven't seen such a meltodown since GoW went to PC and Cows were on suicide watch.

Nah, he was doing the same thing in the FF16 thread.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#202 texasgoldrush
Member since 2003 • 14905 Posts

@madsnakehhh said:

Damn ... game's success is living rent free in @texasgoldrush head, the meltdown is real, i haven't seen such a meltodown since GoW went to PC and Cows were on suicide watch.

What meltdown?

Oh, that is the FFVII fans. They are the ones having meltdowns over sales not being good.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#203 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16542 Posts

damn this thread delivered, but personally im not a big ff fan either, and mostly texas has good takes on rpg games. I've always prefered the art style of DQ over ff, and felt that persona is a better jrpg than ff.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#204 SargentD  Online
Member since 2020 • 8240 Posts

@blaznwiipspman1 said:

damn this thread delivered, but personally im not a big ff fan either, and mostly texas has good takes on rpg games. I've always prefered the art style of DQ over ff, and felt that persona is a better jrpg than ff.

Same

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#205 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3480 Posts

@blaznwiipspman1 said:

Persona is awesome! I could say it's the new king of JRPGs nowadays.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#206 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61491 Posts

@blaznwiipspman1: Persona is one of my favourite series, but really seals itself into a niche (thankfully a larger one) with regards to the actual day-to-day planning and clearing dungeons. I tend to follow guides, as multiple ~100hr playthroughs just isn't happening.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3480 Posts

@texasgoldrush: It begs the questions, when is DQ XII coming out? Feels like Square-Enix have neglected DQ.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#208  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19563 Posts
@davillain said:
@Jag85 said:
@texasgoldrush said:

And now SquareEnix may have to look at Dragon Quest XII to turn things around.

It's looking increasingly likely that DQ12 could be the first flagship DQ game to outsell flagship FF games since the 16-bit era. DQ11 (6M) had already come fairly close to FF7 Remake (7M). Since DQ has been trending upwards and FF trending downwards, it's quite likely that DQ12 would outsell FF16 and FF7 Rebirth. DQ12 probably still won't sell as much as FF16 or Rebirth in the West, but DQ12's Japanese sales alone could potentially surpass the worldwide sales of FF16 and Rebirth.

I think fans are going back to Dragon Quest franchise since the passing of Akira Toriyama last month shocked everyone, I can see DQ12 could be the last in which we'll see traces of the original trio (Horii, Sugiyama, Toriyama) direct work. I can see Horii retiring after XII or becoming a consultant at most is what I'm thinking. All in all, I can't see SE stop making Dragon Quest. No doubt DQ12 could surpass FF.

Oh yeah, almost forgot about the Akira Toriyama factor (RIP). His passing is still fresh in the minds of Dragon Ball fans. With the right marketing, DQ12 has breakout potential outside Japan. Dragon Ball is a massive global franchise, so it would be smart marketing to promote it with Toriyama's name (in a respectful way) and do crossover promo to tap into the massive DB fanbase. I was suggesting crossover promo with DB years ago, but Square Enix dropped the ball by failing to market DQ to the DB audience.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#209 Pedro  Online
Member since 2002 • 69548 Posts

Daniel Ahmad, director of research and insights at Niko Partners, tweeted to say Rebirth was “underperforming” sales wise, and that it was selling about half of what Remake sold in the same timeframe.

ShadyAcshuns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#210 ShadyAcshuns
Member since 2023 • 275 Posts

You know it's bad if Yong says something about it. Face it ponies, PlayStation isn't good enough to carry exclusives these days.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16542 Posts

@lundy86_4 said:

@blaznwiipspman1: Persona is one of my favourite series, but really seals itself into a niche (thankfully a larger one) with regards to the actual day-to-day planning and clearing dungeons. I tend to follow guides, as multiple ~100hr playthroughs just isn't happening.

its not even a nice at this point. Persona 5 sold 9 million copies. How the heck is that a nice? I doubt ff7 will get that much.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#212  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19563 Posts
@blaznwiipspman1 said:
@lundy86_4 said:

its not even a nice at this point. Persona 5 sold 9 million copies. How the heck is that a nice? I doubt ff7 will get that much.

You mean "niche"... But yes, Persona is not "niche" in any sense of the word. It was niche a decade ago, but it's now one of the biggest RPG franchises.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#213  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61491 Posts
@blaznwiipspman1 said:

9 million across the PS3/4/5, PC, NS, Xbox S/X (not sure if you're including digital)? Not to mention Atlus releases the extended versions only in full, and not DLC. I'm by no means dissing the series, as it's among my favourites in JRPG... Just not sure of the argument being made. Regardless, the number defined as niche is largely up to a individual interpretation.