System Wars Lounge V.68 Blame it on Chaz Edition

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#851 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64039 Posts

@PikminWorld said:
@jg4xchamp said:

Saw Batman v Superman with friends, wow what a shitty movie. Snyder's take on Batman might actually be shittier than his take on Superman.

Don't see what was so terrible about Ben Affleck's Batman. If anything, it was better than I'd say all of the movie Batman portrayals.

Get the **** out

Avatar image for deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95
deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#852 deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95
Member since 2011 • 2103 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:
@PikminWorld said:
@jg4xchamp said:

Saw Batman v Superman with friends, wow what a shitty movie. Snyder's take on Batman might actually be shittier than his take on Superman.

Don't see what was so terrible about Ben Affleck's Batman. If anything, it was better than I'd say all of the movie Batman portrayals.

Get the **** out

ok

I mean considering the only good one could arguably be Bale I mean...

Seriously though what was so terrible about his portrayal? It was far from perfect but it wasn't as bad as other portrayals, i.e. Tim Burton's movie, the George Clooney one, etc.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#853  Edited By jg4xchamp

@PikminWorld said:
@jg4xchamp said:

Get the **** out

ok

I mean considering the only good one could arguably be Bale I mean...

Seriously though what was so terrible about his portrayal? It was far from perfect but it wasn't as bad as other portrayals, i.e. Tim Burton's movie, the George Clooney one, etc.

That is a low fucking bar if that is your criteria for that being a good character "he's not as shitty as these indefensible shitty versions where nothing about the movie was good right down to the production". The new Batman isn't much of a Batman, he's fucking Kratos. He's like an edge lord's definition of what you want from Batman. The no kill rule is pretty central to what a superhero is, it's what separates the Superhero from a Vigilante (ala The Punisher), yes yes, well aware in the real world they'd be the same shit, but we're talking the realm of fiction.

And in the case of Batman the no kill rule is a central part of that character, because without that moral high ground Batman is a fucking absymal character. He's a stage 5 asshole, whose mopey as ****, whose defining characterstic is that he's as insane as his villains. His high ground is that because of the trauma caused by Bruce's parents dying, as a form of vengeance he will defend their city, but without ever crossing that one line. It's that one line that is usually explored in great batman stories from Red Hood to The Killing Joke on yeah Batman probably should have made exceptions, but here is why he can't make those exceptions. "Him being a tragic Batman"...that's all of them, that's the whole premise of him becoming Batman, Batman is the result of the trauma.

So this Batman kills, has no real high ground against Superman, and then as an added bonus is a certified fucking moron in the story between how many different ways Lex Luthor plays, which is fine on one level, except he fell for the pics because he seriously believed Space God over there needed passive aggressive way to shit on Bruce Wayne, he wouldn't do it to his face? Him being cruel in fights is fine, no one is saying Batman should be a saint (he fucking interrogates people), but the no kill rule is pretty central to a lot of the things that make that character and his interplay with his villains work. A batman that kills vs a pscyho joker only ends one way, Joker dies, pretty fucking easily. He's outclassed completely.

Plus for a guy who does kill why the **** isn't he using guns all around? Unless it's the grenade launcher for Supes, if you're going to ride with that direction you go all the way with it. It's why in Flash Point Paradox's Batman's dad who becomes Batman is that far gone and is a Batman who kills, who actually has fucking weapons that go straight for the kill because he never got over Bruce's death.

The only thing Nolan got wrong with Batman was that Bale isn't much of a detective, but that was a minor short coming for frankly better told plots in Batman Begins and The Dark Knight.

What hurts that movie even more is That Superman whose entire character is that he's the boyscout (and 90% of modern criticisms of Superman are mega shit like oh he's too strong or too nice, **** you) is this mopey, angst ridden, unsure of himself, selfish little shit with no real contrast to him and Batman other than one is a God who is a dick the other is a human who is a dick. And then they stop fighting because our moms have the same name, and SOME ASSHOLE got paid, got paid money, got paid in American dollars to write "No Martha is going to tonight". Bitch, are you serious?

That movie is offensive to anyone that mildly knows their superhero shit and actually possess the ability to think. The tone in that movie is completely unearned, and it's lack of fun is unjustified. Jessica Jones and Daredevil tackle way more difficult subject matters than Buttman v Superdweeb, and they have time to have fun. Snyder just blows dick. He made a Superhero flick with one Superhero, and she didn't show up until the finale.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#854 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts

@jg4xchamp:

So you didn't like the movie then?

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#855 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

I've heard that Wonderwomen is the only saving grace of this move.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#856 jg4xchamp

@Heil68 said:

@jg4xchamp:

So you didn't like the movie then?

No, not in any context. Even if you took out the "batman and superman" aspect of it, and just accepted the characters for what they are, you get Kratos vs Altair with God Powers the movie. No fucking thank you.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#857 ConanTheStoner  Online
Member since 2011 • 23718 Posts
@jg4xchamp said:

And then they stop fighting because our moms have the same name, and SOME ASSHOLE got paid, got paid money, got paid in American dollars to write "No Martha is going to tonight". Bitch, are you serious?

I had such a shit eating grin during that scene, I was actually excited about how stupid it was lol.

Most of the movie was a drag, but damn was I still entertained by the girl sitting to my left. She laughed hard at all the jokes, she cried at least twice, she jumped during the nightmare sequence, that shit was just an emotional roller coaster for her. On the flip side, I sat there with a blank expression the whole time, wondering if I should go for some nachos (I eventually did and they were damn good).

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#858 jg4xchamp

@ConanTheStoner said:
@jg4xchamp said:

And then they stop fighting because our moms have the same name, and SOME ASSHOLE got paid, got paid money, got paid in American dollars to write "No Martha is going to tonight". Bitch, are you serious?

I had such a shit eating grin during that scene, I was actually excited about how stupid it was lol.

Most of the movie was a drag, but damn was I still entertained by the girl sitting to my left. She laughed hard at all the jokes, she cried at least twice, she jumped during the nightmare sequence, that shit was just an emotional roller coaster for her. On the flip side, I sat there with a blank expression the whole time, wondering if I should go for some nachos (I eventually did and they were damn good).

did you hit it?

AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#859  Edited By AznbkdX
Member since 2012 • 4284 Posts

Never watched the new Super v. Batman movie, but from the previews I already thought it wasn't going to be all that great. In contrast I started watching Jessica Jones just today and thought it was pretty good.

Plus I don't care what you say, Superman would DESTROY Batman no contest. That shit would be over too fast.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#860 ConanTheStoner  Online

@jg4xchamp said:
@ConanTheStoner said:
@jg4xchamp said:

did you hit it?

I was there with the girl to my right, who was just as disillusioned with what we were watching as I was.

But yes, of course bro lol. I don't go to nice theaters to watch potentially shitty movies unless there's a guaranteed happy ending.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#861  Edited By Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

@Heil68: Come on we know it's rare for champ to actually like/praise something :P

Anyways, Ben was amazing as Batman

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#862 jg4xchamp
@ConanTheStoner said:
@jg4xchamp said:

did you hit it?

I was there with the girl to my right, who was just as disillusioned with what we were watching as I was.

But yes, of course bro lol. I don't go to nice theaters to watch potentially shitty movies unless there's a guaranteed happy ending.

Oh, well good show then. She doesn't like a shit movie and puts out, nice.

I took it as eventually sitting through all these shitty Superman movies, eventually I'll be rewarded with a movie that does my boy justice. Just have to make it through the dark ages that is Zach Snyder's directorial run.

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#863 93BlackHawk93
Member since 2010 • 8611 Posts
@AznbkdX said:

Plus I don't care what you say, Superman would DESTROY Batman no contest. That shit would be over too fast.

That shouldn't even be an argument.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#864 ConanTheStoner  Online

@jg4xchamp:

In time bro, in time. Gonna be a hell of a wait though.

@Ballroompirate said:

To be honest man, of all the things I thought were lulzy about the movie, Ben as Bats wasn't one of them. I think he can pull it off well, just give the dude something better to work with.

AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#865  Edited By AznbkdX

@93BlackHawk93: I've heard all kinds of crap online. Shouldn't even be a thing but Batman fans are a crazy bunch sometimes.

I like Batman (more of a Superman guy admittedly) but come on.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#866  Edited By jg4xchamp
@ConanTheStoner said:

@jg4xchamp:

In time bro, in time. Gonna be a hell of a wait though.

@Ballroompirate said:

To be honest man, of all the things I thought were lulzy about the movie, Ben as Bats wasn't one of them. I think he can pull it off well, just give the dude something better to work with.

Ben isn't even remotely close to the problem, he's great, the Batman he plays however is fucking terrible. Every bit of praise that role is getting is entirely "Ben Affleck can act and is masking (haha get it? do you get it?) how shitty this character is". It's like a more egregious version of when the internet felt Rust Cohle was this deeply profound character because of his amazing lines, and if you put any thought into it you realize; he's just saying incoherent bullshit, it's entirely pretentious writing being saved by how good of an actor Matthew Mcconaughey is.

Difference is True Detective's first season (and only season they ever had) was fucking fantastic sans the lame philosophy mumbo jumbo, The buttman flick sucks ass through a coffee straw.

The Wonder Woman part of the action though, **** yeah. That character isn't used and abused, none of the comic book female characters that have been in movies quite have the presence of a Wonder Woman (Storm is the closest thing I can think of that has that level of pedigree, Phoenix is more in villain/anti-hero territory), the music they picked for her is badass as **** with them drums, plus she wasn't snyder'd in the movie. She had no real time to do anything, and for the action it was simple, let her look like a top tier ass kicker, and they did. Even something as little as actually let her smirk and be into the fight, was able to convey a character trait, without bludgeoning you to death with some exposition or some cynical Snyder thing. So she worked well all around.

If Rocksteady is doing another superhero joint next, I'm down for a Wonder Woman. Shit I'd like Wonder Woman to get her time properly, I'd almost humor the idea of playing a Wonder Woman game done by Ninja Theory. Nah, let's not go that far.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#867 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

@ConanTheStoner said:
@jg4xchamp said:

I did too. It reminded me of the part in Step Brothers when they suddenly became best friends out of nowhere. Although didn't Batman stop because of the nightmare he had where he visited his mother's grave and didn't understand what it meant?

Avatar image for deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95
deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#868 deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95
Member since 2011 • 2103 Posts

@93BlackHawk93 said:
@AznbkdX said:

Exposure to Kryptonite not only can kill Superman but also physically weakens him. Also Kryptonite can give humans the type of powers he has (with side effects). Obviously if Superman wanted to, (with his powers unaffected) he could easily beat Batman or even kill him. Batman however, can build armor that makes him resistant to things like being thrown i.e. like he does in BvS.

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#869  Edited By 93BlackHawk93
Member since 2010 • 8611 Posts

@PikminWorld said:
@93BlackHawk93 said:
@AznbkdX said:

Exposure to Kryptonite not only can kill Superman but also physically weakens him. Also Kryptonite can give humans the type of powers he has (with side effects). Obviously if Superman wanted to, (with his powers unaffected) he could easily beat Batman or even kill him. Batman however, can build armor that makes him resistant to things like being thrown i.e. like he does in BvS.

In a fight based on their own merits without the help of a super (haha) convenient plot device, there really is absolutely no way in which Batman could defeat Superman.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#870 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@AznbkdX said:

@93BlackHawk93: I've heard all kinds of crap online. Shouldn't even be a thing but Batman fans are a crazy bunch sometimes.

I like Batman (more of a Superman guy admittedly) but come on.

Batman can and has defeated Superman before multiple times. Superman may be invincible, but with proper planning, he can and has been taken down by Batman. That is what the movie tried to show, admittedly awfully.

A-new-Guardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#871 A-new-Guardian
Member since 2015 • 2458 Posts

@charizard1605: This is true. The batman taking superman down. Superman is just emotion and power. Plan it and you can take him down. Batman revealed his identity easily in the DC animation.

I have not seen the movie but if what I read about batman breaking his own rule then they really messed up.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#872 ChubbyGuy40

Almost done with Fates Conquest. Whoever at IS/Nintendo that let this plot go through production needs to be fired. I went into it knowing it was going to be bad but I just got past ch 21 (was surprisingly easy) and this is a lot more stupid than I expected. Everything that attempts to pull emotional strings is done in such a terribly forced way. Character dialogue and supports are still good but damnit how could they **** up the plot this much?

AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#873  Edited By AznbkdX

@charizard1605: I've heard Batman has won before yes. Proper planning? Always thought that was funny. Of course anyone can beat anyone with proper planning. That's how all good leaders won battles.

Guess what? Superman is no moron. He can plan too and at occasions has against enemies. This is no one way street.

Another thing is that Superman can handle things before plans even come into fruition. The guy doesn't need gadgets, floor plans or whatever to destroy buildings and take out baddies, which gives him a ton of time in stressful circumstances to do things quickly. Not trying to downplay the last statement about planning but this is another option that he could always go first with.

There is plenty more stuff against Bats as well, and of course the other way against Superman but I bet its a smaller list. In the end I know that the circumstances are different (admittedly for the movie I don't entirely know of it) but it would have to be one hell of a situation for Bats to get any upper hand. Once again I'm no huge fan of either one but seriously.

A-new-Guardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#874 A-new-Guardian

Sucks that Grant Gustin won't be playing the Flash in the DC movies. He is the perfect flash.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#875 Ballroompirate

@a-new-guardian said:

@charizard1605: This is true. The batman taking superman down. Superman is just emotion and power. Plan it and you can take him down. Batman revealed his identity easily in the DC animation.

I have not seen the movie but if what I read about batman breaking his own rule then they really messed up.

As a Batman fan for the past 25 years, people complaining about how he acted is not only stupid but dumb (there's reasons why he did what he did) the first one it was a "dream" or a vision and it was end of the world there's no reason to have morals when you're fighting for your life, hell Superman literally melted two captured rebels with his lazer beams . Number 2 most of the villains in Gotham are ether dead or gone, same with Robin and Batmans allies, this isn't a young Batman this is a Batman that has seen it all and went through hell and what Sups did finally broke the man

I love what Snyder did with Batman in BvS, he's brutal and it's awesome. As for the whole Batman vs Sups, Batman has defeated him multiple times (hell Lex has defeated Sups) and it's not impossible so people need to get that shit together. If it was a straight up fist fight yeah Sups would win but how many fights end up being like that.

If people want to talk crap about how Sups and Batman acted in BvS lets go down the list on how many comic characters act differently in movies or were straight up changed.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#876 DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56253 Posts

@Ballroompirate said:
@a-new-guardian said:

As a Batman fan for the past 25 years, people complaining about how he acted is not only stupid but dumb (there's reasons why he did what he did) the first one it was a "dream" or a vision and it was end of the world there's no reason to have morals when you're fighting for your life, hell Superman literally melted two captured rebels with his lazer beams . Number 2 most of the villains in Gotham are ether dead or gone, same with Robin and Batmans allies, this isn't a young Batman this is a Batman that has seen it all and went through hell and what Sups did finally broke the man

I love what Snyder did with Batman in BvS, he's brutal and it's awesome. As for the whole Batman vs Sups, Batman has defeated him multiple times (hell Lex has defeated Sups) and it's not impossible so people need to get that shit together. If it was a straight up fist fight yeah Sups would win but how many fights end up being like that.

If people want to talk crap about how Sups and Batman acted in BvS lets go down the list on how many comic characters act differently in movies or were straight up changed.

I actually love the movie, Batman kills in this movie, he kill a shitons of enemies, Batman tosses his morals right out the window and I love this Batman version and Ben Afflect did a hell of a job then Bale. Also as a DC guy and a Superman fan at that, I wasn't mad about the whole thing with the fight, I expected Snyder go for Frank Miller's The Dark Night Returns Part 2 route so it was cool with me. I however didn't expect DC to kill Superman and thought they were gonna just use Doomsday as a brute to get Bats/Sups together for the showdown but we all know Superman isn't dead so I'm totally looking forward to Justice League movie hopefully next year.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#877 Ballroompirate

@davillain-: Amen that fight scene (both scenes) was hella awesome

A-new-Guardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#878  Edited By A-new-Guardian

Wow so much spoilers. Now I get what it feels like to be spoiled on a movie.

I'm outta here

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#879 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20251 Posts

@ChubbyGuy40 said:

Almost done with Fates Conquest. Whoever at IS/Nintendo that let this plot go through production needs to be fired. I went into it knowing it was going to be bad but I just got past ch 21 (was surprisingly easy) and this is a lot more stupid than I expected. Everything that attempts to pull emotional strings is done in such a terribly forced way. Character dialogue and supports are still good but damnit how could they **** up the plot this much?

I don't know, they were trying too hard to follow stupid high school drama's and cliche anime plotlines. As well as trying to force Azura as the standard Waifu..... One thing I only enjoyed is the challenging gameplay in Conquest, as it feels like what a Fire Emblem game should be. If they plan on making a new FE title, they need to get rid of the Waifu simulator as it's unneeded and try to rehire Shozou Kaga to refine the gameplay and story.

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#880 finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

DC after reading superman v batman reviews

Them reviewers got wrecked once again, no one in the real world gives a single f**k about reviews once again lool

looking forward to watching the movie sometime tomorrow!

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#881 FireEmblem_Man

@finalstar2007 said:

DC after reading superman v batman reviews

Them reviewers got wrecked once again, no one in the real world gives a single f**k about reviews once again lool

looking forward to watching the movie sometime tomorrow!

Why are you such a troll?

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#882 zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

Finished up Twilight Princess HD. I'll go back later when I have more free time to work on 100% it, but I'm all good on it for now.

Hero mode provided a dose of challenge which was nice. Game balance is so wonk though. Why are enemies from early in the game doing more than the final boss?

All in all, it definitely remains as a top game for me. It's a wonderful journey.

Also gonna beat Captain Toad tonight (finally). And I purchased GTAV today so I think I'm going to try some GTA Online.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#883  Edited By ConanTheStoner  Online

This new Gief costume is so fucking great lol.

Other new costumes here.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#884 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14419 Posts

Everyone here is talking comic book movies with characters I know nothing about, and I'm just here masturbating.

lol jk I'm deciding between getting Pokemon platinum and heartgold. Gotta feed my pokemon addiction.

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#885 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts

Would like to just watch Batman vs Superman for the hell of it.

But im not that much into Marvel comics..

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#886 zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

@speedfreak48t5p: Absolutely 100% Heart Gold. Don't make the wrong choice and go with one of the best games around.

Also: WOW for one of the biggest twists in gaming! I had no idea Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker is a PREQUEL to Super Mario 3D World! Man, I'm on kind of a high right now after finding that out!

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#887 FireEmblem_Man

Don't be a troll

@illmatic87 said:

Would like to just watch Batman vs Superman for the hell of it.

But im not that much into Marvel comics..

Loading Video...
GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#888  Edited By GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9735 Posts

Gameplay footage and Story Mode images of Alex in Street Fighter 5

https://youtu.be/Gn7z6x6ZvGM

Loading Video...

Alex's jazzy, New York City theme in Street Fighter 5 is a perfect update to a franchise classic

http://i.imgur.com/impO89H.jpg

Images, footage of Street Fighter 5's new alternative costumes

http://www.eventhubs.com/imagegallery/2016/mar/28/new-street-fighter-5-alternative-costumes/1

https://youtu.be/JfuudEoJHpk

http://www.hitbox.tv/dantarion

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/895976-street-fighter-v

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#889 ChubbyGuy40

@FireEmblem_Man said:

I don't know, they were trying too hard to follow stupid high school drama's and cliche anime plotlines. As well as trying to force Azura as the standard Waifu..... One thing I only enjoyed is the challenging gameplay in Conquest, as it feels like what a Fire Emblem game should be. If they plan on making a new FE title, they need to get rid of the Waifu simulator as it's unneeded and try to rehire Shozou Kaga to refine the gameplay and story.

Azura's support is the only one I haven't liked so far. It starts with Corrin crying about killing people when the game so far had specificed stated multiple times they don't kill the soldier, so it made no sense. Then it was just more of Corrin crying. And yeah, she's was really forced to be the canon/standard waifu. (Azura a shit, Soleil best girl.) I don't think they need to get rid of the relationship things, just make it something different than a standard task thing you do for no reason after every battle/day.

The gameplay is ace though. Maps, balance, everything feels amazing. Only played Awakening and PoR so far but damn this feels like a solid and well balanced challenge with hard classic. Disappointed to hear Revelation doesn't continue the trend but at least it's supposed to be better than Birthright, which I'm gonna play next. I really hope the next Fire Emblem is on consoles though.

CountBleck12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#890 CountBleck12
Member since 2012 • 4726 Posts

@speedfreak48t5p said:

Everyone here is talking comic book movies with characters I know nothing about, and I'm just here masturbating.

lol jk I'm deciding between getting Pokemon platinum and heartgold. Gotta feed my pokemon addiction.

Get Soul Silver.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#891 jg4xchamp
Loading Video...

Avatar image for deactivated-586249e1b64ba
deactivated-586249e1b64ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#892  Edited By deactivated-586249e1b64ba
Member since 2004 • 7629 Posts
@ChubbyGuy40 said:

I really hope the next Fire Emblem is on consoles though.

tl;dr: On 3DS, information is clean, readable, and quickly accessible. On another system, it'd be the opposite.

Not long; actually read: Personally, I'd be against that. Much as I like the idea of actual gameplay looking like the CGs, something like the WiiU would impede the basic information flow that's critical to surviving Conquest when it gets downright evil with what it gives enemies, being evil a part of what makes Conquest fun.

Assuming it'd use a copy-pasted version of Fates' UI, merely having the second screen detached adds a 1-second delay looking down at the gamepad and another second looking back at the TV -- 2 seconds wasted every time you want to just examine an enemy. It's noticeable, it adds up, and you'll be doing it a -lot-. Even in Splatoon, I'm not very fond of having to look down at the gamepad to look at the map or super jump. Don't have to do it that often, but I still find it a hassle. Having to repeat that several dozen times before I even begin attempting a map? Definition of annoying, annoyed being something you shouldn't ever make a player feel and god forbid you do it on a consistent basis.

Assuming it doesn't and tries to fit as much as possible on the first screen, you'd get something uglier than Radiant Dawn's UI (which was pretty damn ugly to begin with). I'd prefer not to be reminded of that game.

@jg4xchamp said:

[Anyone who doesn't call Platinum Games their Lord and Savior is a terrorist infidel who hates good things]

Don't think this could've been better-timed with Star Fox Zero on the horizon and in the spotlight for that recent EZ MODO controversy. The idea that someone can suck at a game is a surprisingly foreign concept these days. Funnily enough, the people railing against EZ MODO (because f***ing kids these days are spoiled and oughta git gud like we did) are the same people who used the Konami Code back in Ye Olde Days Where Konami Was Liked (because we were f***ing kids those days and nobody was gud -- not even the devs).

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#893 jg4xchamp

Star Fox could suck, but it would have nothing to do with some EZ mode or for the "casuals" (you are a fucking disease if you use that term as a negative), and would have more to do with the following.

1. Gyro controls
2. In an effort to make the game run 60 faps on both screens, compromises get made on scale, this is a type of game that needs Platinums brand of bat shit insane scale to actually have some fun action
3. The shmup levels in Platinum Games suck, like objectively, so technically we had warning signs.
4. Platinum's big enough to have multiple teams these days, you don't really know which Platinum you are getting, albeit a collab with Nintendo would imply a good game.

Platinum to their credit finds a great balance between having genuine gameplay depth for people that like mastery of mechanics, while also lowering the skill floor. The scoring system hurts their cause because gamers can't accept that they suck more at games than they think they do, and tone wise, I mean shit they could only be more Japanese if they were making trash like jrpgs or something, but pure mechanics, nah they are an elite company in that regard. Bayonetta is a fantastic example of that as witch time and the controls do everything possible to lower the skill floor, but the game has plenty of hidden mechanics for more experienced players to learn which also benefits from Witch Time. So in one swoop they've made mechanics that both make the DMC styled action game more accessible for people who never could really good at DMC, and still maintain that high skill ceiling that makes those games fantastic to play. It's like what actual good game design looks like. They need to get better at explaining some of their systems though, The Wonderful 101 and Revengeance are like extra shitty at fucking up explaining the bare bones basics.

It's the same shit with the Tanooki suit stuff, who fucking cares, you have to choose to take that move. You want to play it clean, play it clean.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#894  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23944 Posts
@FireEmblem_Man said:
@ChubbyGuy40 said:

Sadly these "stupid high school drama's and cliche anime plotlines", is a plague that taints jRPGs (especially modern ones). So I would agree, getting rid of Waifu Simulator would probably be for the best. And while they are at it, they should go back to focusing on politics and whatnot, the dialogue there was at least more entertaining than this filler writing that seemingly only existed as an excuse to raise Support levels.

But it isnt just jRPGs where I want to see the cancer that is gaming romances purged. The same applies to pretty much any game out there. As far as I am concerned, the unholy trinity of trash for RPGs would be this:

1. Dumbing Down
  2. Relationship Management (Supports, Social Linking, FATE, Relationship meters, ect)
  3. Comprimising balance (Designing the game so that the player will never be at a disadvantage the devs didnt plan for)

I didnt like Super Mystery Dungeon because it was a good game, I liked it because it was an escape from the sorry state of the RPG genre atm. Reminded me of what I liked about the genre in the first place.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#895 FireEmblem_Man

@ChubbyGuy40: I don't think the relationship/support should go away neither, I'm talking about the bond/confession scenes as it brings nothing new but to only improve relationships. My castle is okay, but I feel like we need more of a defend your castle mission

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#896 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

I'm playing FF VII and Crisis Core. Aerith theme making me so sad :(

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#897  Edited By jg4xchamp

jrpgs have always been a synonym for shitty anime plot lines. Albeit shitty anime is redundant.

Avatar image for deactivated-583c85dc33d18
deactivated-583c85dc33d18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#898 deactivated-583c85dc33d18
Member since 2016 • 1619 Posts

@jg4xchamp: I can agree with his concept of depth, though he seemed to spend a lot of time describing CoD having depth. I assume that's his guilty pleasure, and he wants to make it seem like the distance between a novice and a master in CoD is some grand chasm. It's not. The skill ceiling in CoD is incredibly low, often due to the hectic and random nature of the game which can dictate match outcomes far above any individual skill in many cases. Also, the more moms you can bang typically translates to victories versus your skill with the controller... or so I've heard... I'm not a big hit with the moms.

It wasn't a bad video since it feels as if most people attribute lots of button presses, bigass skill trees, dialogue trees, sets of three nearly identical paths giving the illusion of "choice" in gameplay, and even grinding as "depth". It's lost on people. It's more about how you personally manipulate gameplay to gain new experiences or advantages. A rare thing these days. I think most devs opt to just give everyone a homogeneous experience while providing the illusion of depth via dialogue trees that amount to "Do you want to be bad, or good" or quest paths where you can kill someone or not, or some other form of video game fuckery.

Avatar image for deactivated-586249e1b64ba
deactivated-586249e1b64ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#899  Edited By deactivated-586249e1b64ba
Member since 2004 • 7629 Posts

Random musing:
Looking at Metroid Prime: Federation Force, if I had any position in the gaming press, I'd walk up to a Nintendo rep and ask "What the hell? How can you release this in a post-Splatoon world? This is, like, the anti-thesis of a game you guys made just one f***ing year ago. Speaking of Splatoon, why isn't this Splatoon: Splat Force? You've already built the foundation for a great shooter. Why not just throw darts at the board with the IP and see what sticks?"

(Yes, yes, I'm aware Federation Force was in development before Splatoon was out, but damn, way to shoot an old IP of yours in the foot, Nintendo.)

@jg4xchamp said:

[Star Fox Zero stuff]

On gyro controls:
Just learned recently that it's actually possible to disable gyro aiming (not my vid, also excuse quality) by pressing Y for more classic-style aim, so I don't think you'll have to worry unless they designed the game to be more or less impossible without gyro use. That said, think I'll be using gyro controls. Sure it just looks bad because the players are bad.

Personally, more concerned with how often using the second screen is necessary. Already worried by the gyrocopter sections.

On scale:
Yeah, I see the two-screen thing messing up scale. How much? I don't know. However much though, a part of me says: "Dude, it's a (mostly) on-rails game on the WiiU. How can you not have scale greater than SF64? God forbid they be unable to top Area 6 in terms of shit thrown at you. It's not even that much in retrospect. Surely, the WiiU does not suck that hard."

On Platinum sucking at shmups:
...I'll write it off as throw-aways for pacing purposes and that this is an honest attempt. >.>

On Platinum not sucking otherwise:Yep. It's amazing nonetheless that their games don't sell when they manage to accomodate the entire skill spectrum pretty well. lol

mmmwksil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#900 mmmwksil
Member since 2003 • 16423 Posts
@jg4xchamp said:

jrpgs have always been a synonym for shitty anime plot lines. Albeit shitty anime is redundant.

We can thank Squaresoft and Final Fantasy for that.

But because of juggernauts like Dragon Quest and SMT I keep coming back to the genre.