System Wars Lounge v52: Happy 2015 Edition!!!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Cheleman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1351  Edited By Cheleman
Member since 2012 • 8198 Posts

I really hope the new fantastic 4 gets shit on by critics.

what they did to johnny storm... there's no coming back from that.

**** you fox. j-just **** you.

Avatar image for deactivated-586249e1b64ba
deactivated-586249e1b64ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1352 deactivated-586249e1b64ba
Member since 2004 • 7629 Posts
@jg4xchamp said:

999 is a shitty example against me, because yes I would argue to hell and back 999 isn't that good of a game, or effective as a game. The actual playing it part is the worst part of the experience sans a plot twist. Ditto for anything Telltale has done. Journey was a better argument in that context.

And yes we can continue to disagree especially on the "gameplay>all else", but if you suck at the interactive parts, you suck as a game to me. You suck at the thing that defines this medium. To me it's no different than Deadly Premonition, which has an awesome plot and characters, but the playing it part? sucks. It's a bad video game. Because I don't look at "you can have bad runs, and bad endings" as a positive. That's not much of a punishment, that's legit throwing bad writing at me, before I've suffered enough of your gameplay to get the ending worth my time. If I want a story, I can get better from a medium better suited to tell a story organically. Video games have been running on same lame defense of "it has so much potential". So did Ryan Leaf, he sucked.

The "I like it because story reason x, y, and z" wouldn't invalidate it's glaring short comings in its own medium, as in the type of things it should and better be good at.

The character thing is lazy, because we can both go down that path

-Chrome, Lucina, Robin= fucking bricks

-Frederick= typical loyal guardian of royal heir crap, who can't die because he's in cutscenes

-Lissa= dumb ass younger sibling, who can't die because she's in cutscenes

-Chrom's sister=a plot point

After that FE characters are characterized via some optional conversations, meanwhile Squad 7 main cast carry the plot, and everyone has just enough to be entertaining on the battlefield. Which I'm cooler with.

-The main bad dude=so aggressively there to be the main bad dude.

So yeah, I'm not exactly in the camp of acting like the Fire Emblem cast was good enough to be members of the Centurians, much less be a driving force. Valkyria's short comings are pacing and presentation related at best, with the worst being something gameplay related (some of the cheaper segments). But it's plot is no less effective, if anything I will definitely say I enjoyed it way the **** more, characters to boot. And the gameplay it's not even close. Neither of them have the argument of being particularly deep (it's rock, paper, scissors, let's not get carried away), but only one of them is actually unique and has a variety of different gameplay segments to show off. So yeah as a game, an experience, I would take the great strategy rpg (Valkyria Chronicles) over the good one (Fire Emblem Awakening).

I wasn't (intentionally) oversimplifying VC's characters there. That honestly is my memory of them. :s I asked you to refresh me there because you liked their characterization in the main plot and they're supposed to carry the entire game, unskippable cutscenes and all. If a game's gonna try to be a forced Movie Gear Solid with Tactical Turn-Based Action, I'd hope it does the movie part well. Obviously, I thought it failed there. Massively. The game part of the game has some great high points - I wouldn't be asking for VC 2+3 if the game was awful in that regard - but the non-game parts bring it to some serious lows; lows that unbalance the experience as opposed to keeping it at a consistent high; lows that I thought ultimately brought the overall experience to something negative, hence why I hate the game.

You did not find the overall experience negative. In fact, you found it great, plot and characters included, in which case you're gonna have to explain how Rosie is more than just a racist bitch 'cause that's how she came across as in the main plot and VC does little characterization outside of the main plot. On the flipside, FE:A does little characterization within the main plot but does lots of it outside. The main plot is also forgettable (Ugh, Valm arc) but it doesn't hold up your time for upwards of three minutes at a time. The actual game parts of the game could be better, I admit, but they still hold up well enough to at least garner a "good" in most people's books.

FE:A is, for better or worse, a mostly good, consistent experience. VC is bipolar as ****, being either great and a very refreshing experience or borderline insufferable. YMMV.

Complete tangent: What game has ever done racist characters well? Serious question. Only other game I can think of that even tried is Mass Effect and, well, uh...I'd like to emphasize the try part there.

@Maroxad said:

Remove The internal character level cap system. Because eventually everything will give only 4 exp even at only levle 1, making for a really grindy and tedious experience.

Stat resets would accomplish that reclassing would no longer quickly lead to you quickly building OP characters by abusing class resets.

Subclassing wouldnt work with Fire Emblem's current ruleset. Reclassing at least makes sense with the rules. And with 2 choices, that would mean 2 choices at at tier 1, and 2 choices for both of those choices.

Perhaps sub-classing wasn't the right word to use. Dual-classing? Dual-speccing? I'll just go into detail on how I think things should work to make this less confusing:

• Lv. 10 is an auto-promotion. Mercenaries, for example, can promote into a Hero or Bow Knight. Lv. is not reset. Soft cap at 30 where all skills are obtained. Cannot switch Hero to Bow Knight (Ew, Bow Knight) and vice versa; skills from promotion not taken are locked out.
  • On auto-promotion, also get to choose a second class that you can switch to at any time outside of battle. Our Mercenary-turned-Hero can have Wyvern Knight or Barbarian as a second class. The class not taken is locked out along with related skills.
  • Upon hitting Lv. 10 in the second class, our Hero+Wyvern Knight can become a Hero+Wyvern Lord or Hero+Griffon Rider. Again, the promotion not taken is locked out along with related skills. You cannot pick a third class, so no Berserk Wyvern Hero.

-----

• Dual-classing becomes a natural part of the game. Also doesn't require items to make the process a little more quick and not cost you gold.
  • Due to lockouts, characters should end up unique in thier class+skill combinations unlike FE:A's in the post-game.
  • Galeforce will be nerfed or outright removed. It just has to.
  • To make re-classing smooth, stats will not be reset (We're trying to make things less grindy, not more! Why even have re-classing if it just means more work?)
  • Scenarios will be designed to accomodate units who've hit the total level soft cap of 60 as opposed to FE:A which wasn't really designed with re-classing in mind.
  • Internal level cap will be kept because stats are kept on re-classing. Will be set to 60.
  • Enemies can have an internal level of 60 to make sure late-game/end-game levelling is quick. FE:A's internal cap of 40 for them made levelling slow when your units were well above that.
@Blabadon said:

Techno sounds like he'd defend Assassin's Creed Revelations or Devil May Cry 2.

No, I sound like someone who'd defend one of their favourite games, which AC:R and DMC2 are not. FE:A's also the best-selling FE and the most well-received by critics, so I am curious when somebody's opinion doesn't fall in line with the majority, let alone my own.

@mmmwksil said:

January is taking too long to end. I want it to be February already.

Possible new junk from Club Nintendo! New 3DS! Dragon Quest Heroes!

Edit: Google Fiber is headed to my area! HOT DAMN

I'd hope there's new stuff. If I recall, Club Nintendo Europe is getting more OSTs.

mmmwksil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1353 mmmwksil
Member since 2003 • 16423 Posts

Query for fellow nerds: what are your opinions on Atelier Totori?

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1354 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

@Technoweirdo said:
On the flipside, FE:A does little characterization within the main plot but does lots of it outside.

Wish they would've had PoR style talks/events between chapters. That would've added much needed characterization between other units during the main story. Awakening had some really bad pacing issues with the story and it suffered overall because of it.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#1355 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

Wish they would have thought out Fire Emblem Awakening with what they can add, not take out.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#1356 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@Blabadon said:

Wish they would have thought out Fire Emblem Awakening with what they can add, not take out.

Fire Emblem Awakening is the Persona 3 of the Fire Emblem series.

The beauty of that sentence being that I construe it as a great compliment, you as a scathing criticism, and we both still feel that it is right.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1357 Blabadon

@charizard1605: Please don't insult Persona 3 like that.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#1358 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@Blabadon said:

@charizard1605: Please don't insult Persona 3 like that.

If you can't see the similarities, I wouldn't know what to say to you.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1359 deactivated-586249e1b64ba
@ChubbyGuy40 said:

Wish they would've had PoR style talks/events between chapters. That would've added much needed characterization between other units during the main story. Awakening had some really bad pacing issues with the story and it suffered overall because of it.

That would be nice. Think the inclusion of kids made it a little complicated since their entrances aren't set at a specific time unlike the rest of the cast, so convos carrying on from point to point in the main plot might end up being lost. Yet to be seen if Fire Emblem IF will have children too, but I doubt they'll be in there.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#1360 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64039 Posts

@Technoweirdo said:

Complete tangent: What game has ever done racist characters well? Serious question. Only other game I can think of that even tried is Mass Effect and, well, uh...I'd like to emphasize the try part there.

Wouldn't argue for Rosie, because her appreciation of the desians or whatever was a plot point one could see coming a mile away. Though I do think she ends up being more than a sassy racist, the sass and how they all grow over the course of that game makes her work.

As for a game that makes an honest to god racist, and does something meaningful or interesting with said character? literally stumped right now. Arcanum has some anti-semetic stuff, Comstock is clearly a racist, but neither of those I would argue does anything with any purpose, nor does the character transcend their short coming as something you just accept ala every character in a mobster flick.

The rest of it at this point I'm like whatever. I don't even know how this wild ass tangent began.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#1361 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

So it seems like the only thing the new Fantastic Four has in common with the source material is that there are 4 characters with the same names and powers

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#1362  Edited By deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts

@lostrib said:

So it seems like the only thing the new Fantastic Four has in common with the source material is that there are 4 characters with the same names and powers

Marvel has to be kicking themselves about now for giving up film rights to some of these properties.

Desmonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1367 Desmonic  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 19990 Posts

@charizard1605

Oh snap! :O WiiU is actually fighting with the XB1 for second place! It's at 9.20 million WW (XB1 is estimated to be at 10-11 based on ~12million shipped). The WiiU is doing better in Europe, so if it can do slightly better in NA it may just be reality. On the other hand, it sold slightly less this last quarter than in the same period last year...sooo.... uuhh... it's some sort of comeback? XD

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2015/150128e.pdf

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1368  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23933 Posts

Bow Knights and archers in general were pretty good in the good fire emblems though.

The problem I have with reclassing is that it resets a characters level but does not reset the stats, which means that everyone can hit their caps on every stat. If what you suggest ensures that everyone wont cap everything, then I might be fine iwth it.

Would be great if we could choose our protagonist's class too instead of starting as some generic swordsman. The closer my avatar is to Hector, the better.

@charizard1605: That actually works.

In Japan, the new Fire Emblem game has the subtitle if. Does that sound familiar?

Which eventually spun into Persona.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1369 Blabadon

Gah, it seems February's PS+ offers will be announced tomorrow, not today

Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 107

#1370  Edited By Demonjoe93
Member since 2009 • 9869 Posts

I'm really getting a Zelda vibe out of this Beyond Oasis game I've been playing lately.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#1372 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

@Maroxad: SMT If... is only called that because of the film of the same name with Malcolm McDowell. I doubt the new Fire Emblem will have anything to do with the SMT game or even the film.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1373 lostrib

@Blabadon said:

Gah, it seems February's PS+ offers will be announced tomorrow, not today

isn't it always announced on a Thursday

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1374  Edited By lostrib

looks like we can't use the FreedomFreeLife gif anymore

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1375 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

@Slashkice said:
@TheGuardian03 said:

Guys Bakuman anime or manga?

Neither are worth your time. It starts off interesting, but then just drags and meanders along until it reaches an ending.

This.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1376 Blabadon

@lostrib: @Slashkice: desperately hoping that we don't get Thief, let alone the PS3 version.

I think we usually get updates on Tuesday

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1377 lostrib

@Blabadon said:

@lostrib: @Slashkice: desperately hoping that we don't get Thief, let alone the PS3 version.

I think we usually get updates on Tuesday

pretty sure it's store updates Tues, and PS+ announcements on Thursday before they start

Xaero_Gravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1378  Edited By Xaero_Gravity
Member since 2011 • 9856 Posts

I hope Thief is all they offer on PS4 and PS3.

CountBleck12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#1381 CountBleck12
Member since 2012 • 4726 Posts

@TheGuardian03 said:

The latest RE Revelations gameplay with barry and some kid is basically a beta or shitty version of the last of us lol. The voice acting sort of reminds me of RE1 barry believe it or not.

Resident Evil pretty much sucks now.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#1382  Edited By nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41538 Posts

Browsing around Steam and... SEGA is selling the extra content found in Sonic Adventure 2's GameCube port SEPARATELY. I know I'm WAY late on this, but considering how long the GameCube version has been out, that is freaking dirty.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1383 Blabadon

Beat Mirror's Edge. Great stuff.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1384  Edited By clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

My new knife for work. Stupid phone.

PhazonBlazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#1385 PhazonBlazer
Member since 2007 • 12013 Posts

Say what you want about Destiny, the soundtrack is amazing

Loading Video...

mmmwksil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1386 mmmwksil
Member since 2003 • 16423 Posts

We're like three days away from potential new rewards from Club Nintendo.

I'm needlessly hyped for this. Expect me to be crabbier than a woman on the rag following lousy reward reveals.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#1387 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

I'm so jelly of Green Arrow because he has sex with nearly every woman that appears in the show. It doesn't matter if it's a villian or a hero, a cousin, or the sister of his prior lover, a cop, a scientist, a member of the league of shadows... Every woman in the show falls in love with him at first sight and there's a sex scene (edited of-course) in nealy every episode no joke. Not even Bruce Wayne, Tony Stark and James Bond combined are this promiscuous.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#1388 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

@PhazonBlazer said:

Say what you want about Destiny, the soundtrack is amazing

Loading Video...

One of the few good things about that game...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1389 deactivated-586249e1b64ba
#@TheGuardian03 said:

Saw some Dying Light gameplay. Looks really good and love the lighting and visuals. Dead island had some parts which i thought were mediocre and badly designed but also because it was in development hell and ambitious so i forgave a little. Still got a lot of enjoyable gameplay out of it despite the crap parts and bugs and glitches so a 7 is i would give.

Dying light is exactly what they wanted to do with last gen but it wasn't possible to achieve it seems, maybe because of low memory? Or lack of power. Anyways can't wait to get my hands on it in Feb.

The parkour's not as solid as Mirror's Edge, overcompensating on ledge grabs which makes for a visually jarring experience. I've seen a few jumps where you grab the ledge despite a noticeable distance between yourself and the ledge and a few others where you're clearly short on a jump, fall, but then pull yourself up. I've seen this happen in the frickin' tutorial of all places. Might be because it's an open-world game and they didn't get the layout quite right, might be because they want you to stay above ground at all times, but I'd rather they just let me fall. Would be more exciting, especially at night. Besides, combat seems fun once your character stops being a wimp which I hope is quickly.

@Maroxad said:

Bow Knights and archers in general were pretty good in the good fire emblems though.

The problem I have with reclassing is that it resets a characters level but does not reset the stats, which means that everyone can hit their caps on every stat. If what you suggest ensures that everyone wont cap everything, then I might be fine iwth it.

Would be great if we could choose our protagonist's class too instead of starting as some generic swordsman. The closer my avatar is to Hector, the better.

Point #1: Bow users didn't get much love in FE:A, yeah. The generally open fields of FE:A's maps made it hard enough to position them - conversely, I like the lack of chokepoints and walls and lack of turtling with a General, but I digress - and if you do use them, where are you supposed to put the Priests? So long as FE:IF varies up the maps, the problem should solve itself.

Point #2: Having extra skills is nice, but they aren't worth a stat drop and subsequent grinding. Just make the enemies tougher to compensate.

Point #3: Who wouldn't like to be Hector? Alas, I think we've got a swordsman.

@jg4xchamp said:

Wouldn't argue for Rosie, because her appreciation of the desians or whatever was a plot point one could see coming a mile away. Though I do think she ends up being more than a sassy racist, the sass and how they all grow over the course of that game makes her work.

As for a game that makes an honest to god racist, and does something meaningful or interesting with said character? literally stumped right now. Arcanum has some anti-semetic stuff, Comstock is clearly a racist, but neither of those I would argue does anything with any purpose, nor does the character transcend their short coming as something you just accept ala every character in a mobster flick.

The rest of it at this point I'm like whatever. I don't even know how this wild ass tangent began.

This tangent began because it'd take a saint to put up with the same person with the same subject for more than a few days. :P

But as for racist characters done well, only one I can think of right now and I'm not sure if this counts, but Shadowrun: Dragonfall's Vauclair. He's hailed as a hero for stopping the dragon Feurschwinge, but the devastation he saw first-hand left him deeply scarred. Meanwhile, the remaing dragons had re-awoken and in a few decades became world powers, being able to manipulate entire nations to their will. His hatred of dragons became justified not just because of one bad experience, but because they're a genuine threat when humanity's losing control to them. His plan to destroy them not as justified, but eliminating them would help humanity in the long term and given his leukemia, his own term's about to end; he wants to see it through as he feels he's the only one who can. After all, he did get one. No one else can claim that.

Honestly, if I didn't get the feeling it'd lead me to a bad end, I'd have sided with them.

-

Should get back to Arcanum one of these days, but losing all my progress sucked out my will to play. ._.

As for BioShock Infinite, there's a lot the game does without any purpose. World feels so underdeveloped.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#1390 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts

So strangly, it seems that I'm unlocking OlliOlli trophies while playing Geometry Wars 3...

PhazonBlazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#1391 PhazonBlazer
Member since 2007 • 12013 Posts

Bow users were shit in Awakening.

Hopefully we get Pirates back in If

darklight4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1392 darklight4
Member since 2009 • 2094 Posts

After pre ordering dying light on psn I can't play it because devs fucked up. Due to a licence mix up from what I have gathered. It has also been completely removed it from the store so can't download at all. I'm in uk and other people are having issues too. They need to sort it out because I spent a lot of money on it.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1393 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

The Americans Season 3.

Still. Fucking. Great.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1395  Edited By nintendoboy16

So tomorrow, I'm going to my first ever convention, and not some mini-con like I did in my Jr. High years for Pokemon's 10th Anniversary, a full on geek con.

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#1396 zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

Finally beat Oracle of Seasons. Only five more Zelda games left to beat.

@nintendoboy16 said:

So tomorrow, I'm going to my first ever convention, and not some mini-con like I did in Jr. High for Pokemon's 10th Anniversary, a full on geek con.

Jealous. A friend is trying to get me to go to PAX with him this next summer. Not sure if I'll be able to but that will be my first geek con!

@TheGuardian03 said:

What if ND decides to make Last Of Us open world like Dying Light? I was just imagining how it would be like during night time and perhaps third person parkour.

Personally, I hope that a sequel to The Last of Us won't take an open-world direction. We have so many open-world games, and I'm actually a fan of Naughty Dog's direction as it focuses everything. I'd like to see some developers move back towards more focused, linear games, honestly, even if I am in the minority on it. :P

Plus, if Naughty Dog does open-world again we might get another Jak 2. Ew.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1397 lostrib

GS seems confused. They just posted an article of games for a Dry January...even though it's almost February

Also, good job stealing the "upvote" from reddit and the thumbs up icon from Facebook

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1398 nintendoboy16

@Zassimick said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

So tomorrow, I'm going to my first ever convention, and not some mini-con like I did in Jr. High for Pokemon's 10th Anniversary, a full on geek con.

Jealous. A friend is trying to get me to go to PAX with him this next summer. Not sure if I'll be able to but that will be my first geek con!

Heh, I never thought I was going to go to one of those, but members in my family convinced me especially so for the con here in my homestate (Utah) with some of the stars they mentioned being there (plus some I found out on my own).

-Carrie Fisher

-Christopher Lloyd

-Felicia Day

-Tom Felton (Draco Malfoy in Harry Potter)

-Matt Smith

-Karen Gillian

-Morena Baccarin (Inara Serra in Firefly)

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#1399 zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

@nintendoboy16: Utterly jealous.

CountBleck12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#1400 CountBleck12
Member since 2012 • 4726 Posts

@lostrib said:

GS seems confused. They just posted an article of games for a Dry January...even though it's almost February

Also, good job stealing the "upvote" from reddit and the thumbs up icon from Facebook

Don't forget their bias articles like this one.