SW Feedback: Why haven't you voted in SW Awards?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#201 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

To Stevo's idea:

I think we should keep Old Guard, Writer or Reviewer, Most Respected, Finest Taste, and Should Post More. That brings us to 20. Split it into two groups of 10 and one of 9. Have King be it's own thing.

Do nominations of some kind. Top 5, but everyone can only list 3, and do it via points. Then have final voting on all of 'em. I think that'll be good, and we'll allow for lots of people to be mentioned. That's basically what I was thinking of while I was trying to figure stuff out, and I think it'll make it simpler but also allow for a lot of users to be recognized.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#202  Edited By AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@Stevo_the_gamer said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@Stevo_the_gamer said:

Idear here, hear me out my fellow SW warriors.

I suggest we cut it down to the following categories (15 in all):

1. SystemWars King
  2. SystemWars Manticore
  3. SystemWars Cow
  4. SystemWars Lemming
  5. SystemWars Sheep
  6. SystemWars Hermit
  7. Game of the Year
  8. Flop of the Year
  9. Platform of the Year
  10. Best Debater
  11. Best Thread Creator
  12. Funniest User
  13. Best Signature
  14. Classiest User
  15. Best New User

Have three nomination threads with the above categories. (First Thread will include 2-9, second thread will include 10-15, third thread will include just 1)

Have users vote their top 2 to 3 users for each category (User 1 receives 5 points, User 2 receives 3 points, User 3 receives 1 point). The top four users with the most points in each category will be inserted into the ballot processes for 2 through 15 via Google forms. The 1 (SW King vote) will be a SystemWars poll thread where users will vote on the poll and thread. For each of the threads, the timing will be one week. After that week, the thread or form will be closed.

Just some brainstorming.

#13 should be removed. With sigs now so limited thanks to the new sig rules, it seems like a pointless category.

Possibly. What would you replace it with?

Why does it need replaced with something? I mean I guess if I thought about it, maybe avatar (no new limits on those from the old site that I have noticed). I would say most rude poster, but I can see that causing huge issues. Maybe most contributing user. Meaning a user that actually post a lot of none trolling useful info. I will sit and let this roll around in my head a bit and edit more into the post as I surf SW.

EDIT:

Best thread of the year

Worst thread of the year-this would have to be a thread that was allowed and was never locked and got a lot of post anyways and was NOT a troll thread. I can not stress the troll part enough. We have enough trolls as it is, we don't need more trying to win this award.)

Worst game of the year

best/worst system of the year-this should be influenced by the systems game releases for that year

best/worst artstyle of the year

best/worst controls of the year-This should not be confused with best controller. I am talking about games with good controls and bad controls.

best/worst dev of the year-can vote both on company as a whole and individual dev

best/worst publisher of the year

Best/worst OST of the year

Seeing people are wanting less, I am just tossing out ideas. I don't expect them all to be used if any are at all.

Updated.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#203 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22763 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

There we go, I did my part and I voted

Thread of the year is right on :D thanks Char...

dr_jashugan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#204 dr_jashugan
Member since 2006 • 2665 Posts

@millerlight89 said:

I just don't see the point. The same reason I don't care to watch that podcast thing. I didn't vote when this place had a good community, sure as hell not going to when it has fallen this far. I come here for the lols and the occasional good discussion, plus it use to be a great place to find out the latest news. Now I come here because it's a habit. It seems there is a certain select group that is desperately trying to cling to how this place once was.

THIS. 8-\

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#205 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49576 Posts

@DarkLink77 said:

To Stevo's idea:

I think we should keep Old Guard, Writer or Reviewer, Most Respected, Finest Taste, and Should Post More. That brings us to 20. Split it into two groups of 10 and one of 9. Have King be it's own thing.

Do nominations of some kind. Top 5, but everyone can only list 3, and do it via points. Then have final voting on all of 'em. I think that'll be good, and we'll allow for lots of people to be mentioned. That's basically what I was thinking of while I was trying to figure stuff out, and I think it'll make it simpler but also allow for a lot of users to be recognized.

The reviewer option is something I know that a lot of users wouldn't have a clue on who to vote for, and best writer seems redundant with respect to best debator. Finest taste is alright, and user who should post more are fine additions. I'm just trying to cut it down as much as possible since the more things we ask of users, the less theyre likely to vote, especially in relation to have them list up to 3 persons per category. Top 5 or top 4 matters little, I'm fine with either.

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#206  Edited By Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

Why does it need replaced with something? I mean I guess if I thought about it, maybe avatar (no new limits on those from the old site that I have noticed). I would say most rude poster, but I can see that causing huge issues. Maybe most contributing user. Meaning a user that actually post a lot of none trolling useful info. I will sit and let this roll around in my head a bit and edit more into the post as I surf SW.

EDIT:

Best thread of the year

Worst thread of the year-this would have to be a thread that was allowed and was never locked and got a lot of post anyways and was NOT a troll thread. I can not stress the troll part enough. We have enough trolls as it is, we don't need more trying to win this award.)

Worst game of the year

best/worst system of the year-this should be influenced by the systems game releases for that year

best/worst artstyle of the year

best/worst controls of the year-This should not be confused with best controller. I am talking about games with good controls and bad controls.

best/worst dev of the year-can vote both on company as a whole and individual dev

best/worst publisher of the year

Best/worst OST of the year

Seeing people are wanting less, I am just tossing out ideas. I don't expect them all to be used if any are at all.

Updated.

Not a fan of the worst game, publisher, developer, or thread of the year. That will typically end up being something that does not warrant such attention. Worst platform of the year seems like a valid addition along side best platform; although, I wouldnt want both end up being the same platform, that would be silly. So perhaps no on that as well.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#207 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

@Stevo_the_gamer said:

@DarkLink77 said:

To Stevo's idea:

The reviewer option is something I know that a lot of users wouldn't have a clue on who to vote for, and best writer seems redundant with respect to best debator. Finest taste is alright, and user who should post more are fine additions. I'm just trying to cut it down as much as possible since the more things we ask of users, the less theyre likely to vote, especially in relation to have them list up to 3 persons per category. Top 5 or top 4 matters little, I'm fine with either.

Eh, I think best writer warrants its own thing. We have plenty of people who write up awesome posts without debating.

Jynxzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208 Jynxzor
Member since 2003 • 9313 Posts

You almost need to take the System Wars Awards OFF of system wars and host it externally where you can have a nice interface for it instead of the shitshow these forums let you make.

@Stevo_the_gamer said:

@Jynxzor said:

@DarkLink77 said:

@Jynxzor said:

Used to vote, but dispair at the utter lack of notice for me anywhere.

I'm not cool enough for awards.

I think the system Eroica and I were talking about may be able to fix that.

But, on another note, glad to see you, Jynx. Haven't seen you post in a while.

Eh like many others have said the sight re-design killed the forums for me among other things. I put in real hard into SWM and kind of burnt myself our with it. Been thinking of getting back into it but hit a few roadblocks in what I wanted to implement.

That happened to me too with SWM, I wish I had the time now a days to get back into the good ol' days of SWM.

I feel ya man, I really wanted to push to take SWM to a E-Magazine but jesus christ I almost fainted when I seen the cost of entry. I might still give it a shot with Apple devices (Even though I don't own one) But even then I need to buy a Developer permit from Apple for 100 smackers.

Then again I did spend a fair bit of cash on the print magazine when I was doing them like that!

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

@DarkLink77 said:

Eh, I think best writer warrants its own thing. We have plenty of people who write up awesome posts without debating.

That's true, although I still think the two are pretty synonymous.

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210  Edited By Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

To bring this topic up for discussion again, I created an example of what a google form voting would look like. Here.

Again, what the process would look like to get the "options filled" will be a nomination thread ordeal. Have three nomination threads with the categories.

Have users vote their top 2 to 5 users for each category (User 1 receives 5 points, User 2 receives 3 points, User 3 through 5 receive 1 point). The top five users with the most points in each category will be inserted into the ballot processes for 2 through 15 via Google forms (see link in first sentence). However, the SW King vote will be a SystemWars poll thread where users will vote on the poll and thread. For each of the threads, the timing will be one week. After that week, the thread or form will be closed.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#211 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

LolSWAwards

That being said, I like the idea. Let's do it.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212  Edited By Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Because its a crappy way to determine whats really the best. The winners are just popular stuff.

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#214 zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

@Stevo_the_gamer: The idea is great. Nominations may be even more of a hassle now since you'd be asked to list more than one nominee, but voting would be incredibly streamlined. Separating the nominations threads would be great. That way you're not overwhelmed by the categories and can take more time thinking about each individual one.

My question with the proposed change is this: once you take the voting to the form voting on Google, is there a way to track the users who voted? Or will we just have to accept that anyone, regardless of level/post count can vote as many times as they want?

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

because i don't believe in the democratic process.

also corruption.

the sw awards are completely bought out by the forces of big fanboy.

mrintro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#216  Edited By mrintro
Member since 2004 • 1354 Posts

Has nothing to do with games

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217  Edited By Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

@Zassimick said:

@Stevo_the_gamer: The idea is great. Nominations may be even more of a hassle now since you'd be asked to list more than one nominee, but voting would be incredibly streamlined. Separating the nominations threads would be great. That way you're not overwhelmed by the categories and can take more time thinking about each individual one.

My question with the proposed change is this: once you take the voting to the form voting on Google, is there a way to track the users who voted? Or will we just have to accept that anyone, regardless of level/post count can vote as many times as they want?

That is the kink that is the biggest drawback to the new change. A simple fix I just added is a text insert where you have to insert your Gamespot username so I (and whoever else is helping) can see who's voting.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts

I voted, because when you fight for truth, justice and freedom while all the while educating the masses, you need to lead by example.