SW Feedback: Why haven't you voted in SW Awards?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#51 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

@Zaibach said:

@DarkLink77 said:

@Zaibach said:

No point unless you are part of the Lounge clique.

all it does is encourage the trolls to ham up their douche-baggery for a shot of e-fame on a gaming forum.

You can't be a part of any community if you don't interact with it.

You don't post here, and then complain about the fact that there's no point in voting because you aren't a part of the community. Gee, I wonder why that is.

Well I do have over 13 thousand posts, been here since 07? I'd like to think I was part of the community lol

Yeah, but you don't post much anymore. This place changes a lot from year to year. If you're not here on a regular basis, you can't really complain about not getting recognized.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

@DarkLink77 said:

@Nengo_Flow said:

@Blabadon said:

@Nengo_Flow said:

I have no idea this existed, like most people I never click on those Sticky threads on the top of the forum (i have no idea what they are about)

You should post in the lounge dude, it's a pretty cool discovery to see something so fun that's right there that you were once missing out on.

nah, like 5 years ago I would try once in a while, but I dont like going into a thread that already had 2000 post and I have no idea what people are currently discussing cuz the conversation has been going on for like 25 pages.

So just pop in and say hi. I don't post in the Lounge much anymore, but the people who do post there are pretty welcoming.

Nah **** 'em, **** stickies and **** this site.

Zaibach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#53 Zaibach
Member since 2007 • 13466 Posts

@seanmcloughlin said:

@Zaibach said:

all it does is encourage the trolls to ham up their douche-baggery for a shot of e-fame on a gaming forum.

I never post in the lounge, like ever, and yet I somehow still got votes. Kind of goes against your theory

congratulations I guess?...

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

@Zaibach said:

@DarkLink77 said:

@Zaibach said:

You don't post here, and then complain about the fact that there's no point in voting because you aren't a part of the community. Gee, I wonder why that is.

Well I do have over 13 thousand posts, been here since 07? I'd like to think I was part of the community lol

I think they mean more like consistent interaction with other members. Not just posting a couple of times here and there over the course of a few years

Being part of something isn't the same as properly interacting with it

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 DarkLink77

To all of the people complaining about the number of awards:

What do you want cut?

We're more than open to feedback.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

User Lists: 5

#56 PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

@wolverine4262 said:

-Too many categories.

-Not enough decent posters.

-I dont give a shit.

You will vote.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#57 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

@princessgomez92 said:

@wolverine4262 said:

-Too many categories.

-I dont give a shit.

You will vote.

... or the princess will bombard you with extremely loud Selena Gomez music until you do!

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

@Zaibach said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

@Zaibach said:

I never post in the lounge, like ever, and yet I somehow still got votes. Kind of goes against your theory

Just saying don't go attacking the lounge regulars over something that isn't necessarily true

I wasn't trying to boast just making a point

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

User Lists: 5

#59 PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

@Bigboi500 said:

@princessgomez92 said:

@wolverine4262 said:

-Too many categories.

-I dont give a shit.

You will vote.

... or the princess will bombard you with extremely loud Selena Gomez music until you do!

That sounds amazing.

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#60  Edited By millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts

@Bigboi500 said:

@millerlight89 said:

@Bigboi500 said:

@millerlight89 said:

Also, you know what I always found weird. That one user, you know the one that had the SW King, 3 x respected user...and so forth in his sig. Name is the opposite of liquid...that guy? Yea, why does he get so much pleasure out of it. It's like nothing meaningful happens outside of this place.

There's a long story behind that. To make it short, at the beginning of last gen there was this union called GUFU. It consisted largely of Microsoft fans. SolidTy was a member of that union before I was in it, but shortly after I became a member he became the whipping boy of the union, probably because he's an ardent Sony fan, and has quite the ego, even more so than the rest of us that was there at the time.

It was very popular for a large portion of the members of that union to hate on him, until it reached the point where they kicked him out and he started the HYPE union.

I guess he still harbors a grudge against a lot of old SW members and feels absolved by the fact that he's still popular among some in the community. I can't say I blame him either.

Hmm makes that makes sense. That makes me view him in a different light. I always heard about GUFU, never really cared to find out what type of Union it was. I never really realized he was a huge Sony fan, he hides it well. Maybe I never really paid that much attention. I'll have to apologize to him for being such a prick to him over the years. Feel bad now.

I've been part of all the fanboy unions: GUFU (lemmings), HYPE (cows) and PUSH (sheep) and they all have five or six popular members in each that control most of the other members through peer pressure, and all have their little politics and drama inside them.

Watching them all was very entertaining and insightful stuff. I should write a book.

You should, I'm sure there are some great stories there. I could only imagine the way people over react when they get some power...even if it is as meaningless as a gaming forum. I use to do clans in online games...never again. People think GS Mods are power hungry, shit try dealing with clan officers and crap.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Bigboi500

@DarkLink77 said:

What do you want cut?

#61 Posted by getyeryayasout (5817 posts) - 38 seconds ago

Can't get the days off work I would need to fill out the ballot.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think that sums it up pretty well. The meaning would something like "keep it simple, stupid".

Zaibach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Zaibach

@charizard1605 said:

When exactly does voting end tomorrow?

@tonitorsi said:

@Zaibach said:

What this man has stated. Every syllable.

And the site redesign has put me off of this site almost completely.

Plus every year, is always the same inane shit with the same people/trolls/alts all for quick shot of e-fame.

I dont know. I just grew-out from this stuff on system wars.

Here's an idea, instead of treating the 'lounge clique' with disdain, you guys should maybe try getting along with that community. If you won't take part in the community, then no shit, the community won't recognize you, because they barely know who you are to begin with.

what 'disdain'? the awards thread has what like 23 posts? Disdain would infer that people actually cared.

I am merely giving my opinion on the matter, and please stop playing fast and loose with the word 'Community' the awards are called the SWAwards for EVERYONE who posts here, like I said to DL (who also reads from the same script) I have been around these parts nearly 7 years now with the post count to show for it. Don't lecture me about 'being part of the community'.

As for the awards themselves, they no longer serve a purpose, the best posters on GS are either gone or inactive and like second part of my post states, it just encourages trolls to up their game by having something to aspire to, (its clear when someone is gunning for Lem/cow king etc) sad but true.

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 millerlight89

@Zaibach said:

what 'disdain'? the awards thread has what like 23 posts? Disdain would infer that people actually cared.

I am merely giving my opinion on the matter, and please stop playing fast and loose with the word 'Community' the awards are called the SWAwards for EVERYONE who posts here, like I said to DL (who also reads from the same script) I have been around these parts nearly 7 years now with the post count to show for it. Don't lecture me about 'being part of the community'.

As for the awards themselves, they no longer serve a purpose, the best posters on GS are either gone or inactive and like second part of my post states, it just encourages trolls to up their game by having something to aspire to, (its clear when someone is gunning for Lem/cow king etc) sad but true.

You speak a lot of truth. This place could use more of you.

Zaibach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Zaibach

@seanmcloughlin said:

@Zaibach said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

@Zaibach said:

Just saying don't go attacking the lounge regulars over something that isn't necessarily true

I wasn't trying to boast just making a point

I spose its difficult to convey tone, especially here where everyone seems to pissed off 98% of the time.

I wasn't attacking anyone, even the TC understands to an extent what I mean.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#66 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

@Zaibach said:the best posters on GS are either gone or inactive

Lol, why didn't you just answer this earlier

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 DarkLink77

@Bigboi500 said:

@DarkLink77 said:

What do you want cut?

#61 Posted by getyeryayasout (5817 posts) - 38 seconds ago

Can't get the days off work I would need to fill out the ballot.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think that sums it up pretty well. The meaning would something like "keep it simple, stupid".

Gee, thanks, I couldn't have figured that out without you.

But since you didn't seem to read my post, I'll ask again. Whatdo you want cut? We get it, you want less categories, because leaving some blank is too complicated. For the record, the list is shorter than last year. Considerably shorter. But no one will tell me what they don't want, or what they like.

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts
@princessgomez92 said:

That sounds amazing.

Please no!

psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 psymon100
Member since 2012 • 6835 Posts

Because they are used as a vector for butthurt.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#70  Edited By jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

Best blab thread ever? best blab thread ever.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Bigboi500

I will say this with all sincerity: One doesn't need approval of places like the lounge, or city council or anywhere else to be part of the community. Just posting here, whether it be all day, erry day, or once in a blue moon is valid enough.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 DarkLink77

@jg4xchamp said:

Definitely better than when he's making threads about the Vita.

Zaibach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Zaibach

@Blabadon said:

@Zaibach said:the best posters on GS are either gone or inactive

Lol, why didn't you just answer this earlier

I assumed it was common knowledge

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Bigboi500

@wolverine4262 said:
@princessgomez92 said:

That sounds amazing.

Please no!

"if you want it, come and get it"

tonitorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By tonitorsi
Member since 2006 • 8692 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

When exactly does voting end tomorrow?

@tonitorsi said:

@Zaibach said:

What this man has stated. Every syllable.

And the site redesign has put me off of this site almost completely.

Plus every year, is always the same inane shit with the same people/trolls/alts all for quick shot of e-fame.

I dont know. I just grew-out from this stuff on system wars.

Here's an idea, instead of treating the 'lounge clique' with disdain, you guys should maybe try getting along with that community. If you won't take part in the community, then no shit, the community won't recognize you, because they barely know who you are to begin with.

Damn fair point. lol :P

I guess I'll just have to cool off my shit and just chat it all away every now and then since i originally never gave the lounge a shot. 'Tis be true tea.

But, honestly, that wouldn't really solve the issue of the site's low traffic which is why I guess the votes are royally taking a hit this year.

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts

@Bigboi500 said:

@wolverine4262 said:
@princessgomez92 said:

That sounds amazing.

Please no!

"if you want it, come and get it"

:chun:

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 jg4xchamp

@DarkLink77 said:

@jg4xchamp said:

Eh some of those are funny.

When he downplays(or rightfully calls the game out, depending on your camp) the 3DS stuff is really entertaining. The same nintendo apologists fall for it everytime. And then bitch that he's consistently putting up "flame bait" or whatever. It amuses me. I have faith in this thread though. I want someones ego to be offended. Go for it Blab, be that guy.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 DarkLink77

@jg4xchamp said:

@DarkLink77 said:

@jg4xchamp said:

When he downplays(or rightfully calls the game out, depending on your camp) the 3DS stuff is really entertaining. The same nintendo apologists fall for it everytime. And then bitch that he's consistently putting up "flame bait" or whatever. It amuses me. I have faith in this thread though. I want someones ego to be offended. Go for it Blab, be that guy.

Well, Nintendo fans are easy, but yeah, there's occasionally a gem there.

This thread may be the best thing to come out of the Awards this year. I'll take it.

tonitorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 tonitorsi
Member since 2006 • 8692 Posts

@Bigboi500 said:

I will say this with all sincerity: One doesn't need approval of places like the lounge, or city council or anywhere else to be part of the community. Just posting here, whether it be all day, erry day, or once in a blue moon is valid enough.

Oh, and I just want to majestically agree with this sentiment too.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 Bigboi500

@DarkLink77 said:

@jg4xchamp said:

Well, Nintendo fans are easy, but yeah, there's occasionally a gem there.

This thread may be the best thing to come out of the Awards this year. I'll take it.

Agreed. The most fun I've had on SW in years.

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 millerlight89

@tonitorsi said:

@Bigboi500 said:

It's a nice sentiment, I wish that was how it worked. Sadly, to most here it doesn't. I do agree with it though.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 DarkLink77

@millerlight89 said:

@tonitorsi said:

@Bigboi500 said:

It's a nice sentiment, I wish that was how it worked. Sadly, to most here it doesn't. I do agree with it though.

I think people misunderstood what I meant.

On topic, I agree. Anyone who posts here is a member of the community, and no one needs anyone else's approval. Which is part of what makes this place great.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#83 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:

@DarkLink77 said:

@jg4xchamp said:

It's Tearaway. This game has revived some creative talent I've been suppressing for ages.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 jg4xchamp

@Blabadon said:

@jg4xchamp said:

@DarkLink77 said:

@jg4xchamp said:

It's Tearaway. This game has revived some creative talent I've been suppressing for ages.

That game looks superneat. Want to play, but Vita. Not at a jew enough price for me.

How does it play mechanically?

Zaibach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Zaibach

@DarkLink77 said:

@Zaibach said:

@DarkLink77 said:

@Zaibach said:

Yeah, but you don't post much anymore. This place changes a lot from year to year. If you're not here on a regular basis, you can't really complain about not getting recognized.

It has nothing to do with recognition especially not here, I don't covet e-fame.

not true, have I been less active, sure but that merely highlights your true obstacle to getting these awards to work; site traffic.

your true enemy is the site re-design, its fucking off-putting

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 DarkLink77

@Zaibach said:

@DarkLink77 said:

@Zaibach said:

@DarkLink77 said:

@Zaibach said:

It has nothing to do with recognition especially not here, I don't covet e-fame.

not true, have I been less active, sure but that merely highlights your true obstacle to getting these awards to work; site traffic.

your true enemy is the site re-design, its fucking off-putting

It kind of does, man. I'm not saying covet e-fame. That's nonsense. Nobody fucking cares about it here. What I'm saying is this: We've lost a lot of people, and a lot of the new kids don't know who the older posters are. Hell, a lot of people have trouble remembering other people's usernames. At this point, you have to be a constant presence to be remembered. It's nothing against you, man, or anything like that. I've got nothing against you. I thought you were cool. But if you only post a few times every now and then, it's difficult for other people to recognize you.

But yeah, site traffic is a bitch. It's hard to make this work when no one is here in the first place.

PhazonBlazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#87 PhazonBlazer
Member since 2007 • 12013 Posts

Well, I just voted and I feel like a good citizen

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 Bigboi500

@jg4xchamp said:

That game looks superneat. Want to play, but Vita. Not at a jew enough price for me.

Since Blab is his slow self, I'll answer.

The platform mechanics are less floaty than LBP. The use of the back panel lets your fingers poke through holes and kill enemies and help you reach places with touch controls. The game is a bit on the gimmicky side, but very creative and fun.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#89  Edited By Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

I don't vote because I don't care.

This.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21700 Posts

Cuz, I don't give a shit.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 jg4xchamp

@Bigboi500 said:

@jg4xchamp said:

The platform mechanics are less floaty than LBP. The use of the back panel lets your fingers poke through holes and kill enemies and help you reach places with touch controls. The game is a bit on the gimmicky side, but very creative and fun.

So it's a platformer for the most part? How overly reliant is it on its gimmicks?

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Bigboi500

@jg4xchamp said:

@Bigboi500 said:

@jg4xchamp said:

So it's a platformer for the most part? How overly reliant is it on its gimmicks?

Very. On occasion I'm asked to touch the front screen to roll a ribbon up or down to progress, but it's unresponsive. It doesn't happen all the time, but just enough to annoy.

Most of the gimmicks are pretty cool though, like tapping the back touch pad while your character is on a drum, then watching him bounce up to the next level.

What amazes me about the game is the imagination and creativity of a stunning and alive world made completely out of construction paper, and the excellent musical score.

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 millerlight89

@DarkLink77 said:

@millerlight89 said:

@tonitorsi said:

@Bigboi500 said:

I think people misunderstood what I meant.

On topic, I agree. Anyone who posts here is a member of the community, and no one needs anyone else's approval. Which is part of what makes this place great.

I wouldn't call this place great, at all. It use to be a really nice place to come and post and get the latest gaming news for me. I use to look forward to coming here. You may ask, "then why are you still here?" To that, I say I have no clue. I just can't let it go. I'm so used to coming here and posting. People want to blame the site redesign as the reason behind this place's fall, which i do not think it was. I agree it may have been a big reason, but I think that maybe it was the last straw for many.

So much is wrong. Most new accounts are nothing but the same few people making fakeboy accounts, and there isn't enough new people to get to know. I don't have that opportunity to create relationships here, because there aren't any new people coming in.

I've seen a lot of double standards here. Say we have 2 users. User A and User B. User A is the more respected and well know user that has been in that "clique." User B is known, but not really that well respected and not in that "clique." User B makes a thread baiting people and trolling for personal laughs. People jump on him and call him out for it. User A turns around and makes his own bait thread. People laugh and think it's awesome that he is trolling people. It happens far too often.

I know some of you do not want to agree this place has one main clique. I have to disagree. I was in one in my HS and college years, I know what they look like. A couple have said, "you can't be apart of the community if you don't interact with it." That right there sends out a message that is stating that posting here isn't good enough, but you have to interact with a certain group of people. At least that is what it seems to me. Before I put on the whole persona I do now, I use to try to be apart of this so called "community." A year or so ago I would post in the lounge and my post would go unnoticed. I would post later and the same thing would happen again. So, I just gave up.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By jg4xchamp

Sounds fun that and Gravity Rush I really want to try. Just need the Vita at a more throwaway price. Or that PS4/Vita Bundle someone pitched on SW. That bundle being a real thing would be cool.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Too much work

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#96 zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

Damn man, you don't know me! I voted! >_<

The hardest part is going through the threads to come up with users for each of the nominations. But I've done it years before and I thought why the hell not?

@DarkLink77 said:

What do you want cut?

I could probably post this in the Awards Discussion, or just PM you if you like, but here's my opinion on what should be cut. But if categories are cut then we run into a problem of so few categories that only a select few people could be the winners, taking away from the idea of a "community awards." No right or wrong cutting categories if you ask me, but here's my opinion:

• The "Bad Poetry + Pretty Pictures = Win" Award for Best Designer/Artist:
    • this one was neat back when the community had a couple of different activities promoting more designs aside from just sigs. It's a neat thought but it appears to be phoned home a lot of the time.
  • The "Wait, We Still Have Blogs?" Award for Best Blog:
    • I'm all for promoting blogs further, but if we really want this category maybe we should promote a "For your consideration" section. There aren't many that "blog it" on site, and even if some do many may not know of it.
  • The "How's That Novel Coming, Bro?" Award for Best Writer /// The "/Thread" Award for Best Debater:
    • Yes, these are very different categories, but they could easily be condensed into one.
  • The "Tom McShea" Award for Finest Community Reviewer:
    • This is similar to the blog category. Good category, but since it takes place off of the System Wars board it can't be as recognized as other categories, thus I believe one that should be considered cut.
  • The "Like A Fine Wine" Award for Best Member of the System Wars Old Guard:
    • Eh? I just personally think this category has overstayed its welcome.
  • The "Grand Master Lulz" Award for Funniest User /// The "Climbing in Your Window, Snatching Your People Up" Award for Most Outgoing/Crazy User:
    • Similar categories if you ask me. They certainly are different, but I don't know if by much. If each category was further defined, maybe then it'll be fine but that's just more work to make it work when what we're looking at is cutting down.
  • The "Did He Seriously Just Start Talking About Ludonarrative Dissonance?" Award for Most Intelligent User:
    • Best writer or debater perhaps?
  • The "Needs Moar Charts" Award for Best Troll /// The "LOL I TROLL YOU" Award for Worst Troll:
    • When voting, I had no clue what the difference was. Was it what I was okay with and what I wasn't? Why not just a basic Troll Award or something; why continue to promote those who take away from the quality the board can be?
  • The "arbitor365" Award for Mastery in the Art of Self-Ownage /// The "Michael Patcher" Award for Worst Predictions /// The "Barrel Scraper" Award for Special Recognition in the Field of Hyping Terrible Games/Systems:
    • These are all different categories but I bet two out of the three could be cut and not much would be lost.

soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 soulitane
Member since 2010 • 15091 Posts

Too many awards and not enough good users to vote for.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 Bigboi500

@jg4xchamp said:

Sounds fun that and Gravity Rush I really want to try. Just need the Vita at a more throwaway price. Or that PS4/Vita Bundle someone pitched on SW. That bundle being a real thing would be cool.

I'd love to get my hands on that Vita TV device that lets you play most Vita games with a controller on your TV, especially since it's only $99, but with the way it's (not) selling outside of Japan, it's unlikely we'll ever get it it over here.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 DarkLink77

@soulitane said:

Too many awards and not enough good users to vote for.

So vote for the ones you think deserve it and leave the rest blank?

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

Too much to think about