Steambox: who is this for?

• 55 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts
The more and more I ask myself this question, the stranger it sounds to me. As it stands we're looking at a potential midrange PC with a Linux based operating system to run Steam based PC games and intended to be connected to a TV like a console. Who is honestly looking for this product? Soccer moms and retirement homes? Still happy with the Wii. Console frat boys? Perfectly happy playing CoD and sports games on their 360. Core console gamers? I could see a few converts, but anything serious? Why would they dive in now? Core PC gamers? They already have rigs that could run circles around the Steambox, and the ability to connect it to the TV, as they constantly bring up. The core gamer looking at PC gaming? Why limit themselves? Build a rig and get the full experience. A Linux based steam isn't exactly going to have the full library, probably ever. Windows is going to dominate PC gaming for a long time to come, right? This will probably be written off as a poor troll thread, but i hope some may be able to awnser this question. It's as obscure to me as the idea of Ouya succeeding on a major level. Where is the market here?
clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts
If it lets me install other programs I'll get one and use it as a media centre/folder.
el3m2tigre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 el3m2tigre
Member since 2007 • 4232 Posts

Correct me if im wrong but steambox allows you to change the hardware, correct? The only reason someone who already has a rig would buy this is for the ubermegasuperspecialawesome TF2 hat.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts
I'd be interested in one depending on the price. I think once we know more details about it we will be able to determine the type of demographic that it would appeal to.
iHarlequin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 iHarlequin
Member since 2011 • 1928 Posts

I hope it kicks off and developers start releasing more games on Linux. As soon as that happens, adieu Microsoft!

UCF_Knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 UCF_Knight
Member since 2010 • 6863 Posts
Seems like it's for console gamers that do not wish to build a PC to play PC games. Though we know next to nothing about it, so everything is just speculation.
Masenkoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#7 Masenkoe
Member since 2007 • 4897 Posts

The core gamer looking at PC gaming? Why limit themselves? Build a rig and get the full experience.darkspineslayer

From my experience most people downright refuse wanting to learn how to build, many people buy prebuilts, a good amount of PC gamers do, just not enthusiasts.

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

Been wondering myself. Could be an incoming flop. I have a console to play console games and a PC that does everything else.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

[QUOTE="darkspineslayer"]The core gamer looking at PC gaming? Why limit themselves? Build a rig and get the full experience.Masenkoe

From my experience most people downright refuse wanting to learn how to build, many people buy prebuilts, a good amount of PC gamers do, just not enthusiasts.

Fair enough, though even most (if not all) pre-builds would give you the ability to upgrade on your own. Personally, I would build a rig if I wanted to get into PC gaming, simply because its a better value-money ratio. That and I wouldn't fall for Alienware. :P
EliteM0nk3y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 EliteM0nk3y
Member since 2010 • 3382 Posts
Probably for those looking to getting into PC gaming but feel too intimidated.
Masenkoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Masenkoe

[QUOTE="Masenkoe"]

[QUOTE="darkspineslayer"]The core gamer looking at PC gaming? Why limit themselves? Build a rig and get the full experience.darkspineslayer

Fair enough, though even most (if not all) pre-builds would give you the ability to upgrade on your own. Personally, I would build a rig if I wanted to get into PC gaming, simply because its a better value-money ratio. That and I wouldn't fall for Alienware. :P

I know how you feel because I build my own too, I think everybody should.

savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 savagetwinkie
Member since 2008 • 7981 Posts

[QUOTE="darkspineslayer"][QUOTE="Masenkoe"]

Masenkoe

alienware isn't as bad any more, their desktops are probably only a couple of hundred more than if you built it yourself with support on the full system. There are more reasons than just cost, someone might want to be able to pick up the phone and ahve someone to yell at if something doesn't work right, you don't get that luxury with the "build it yourself" models.
Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#13 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
I'd rather spend the money upgrading my rig.
Avatar image for hartsickdiscipl
hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14 hartsickdiscipl
Member since 2003 • 14787 Posts

I have no idea why anyone would want/need one. I guess we'll have to see the price. For $300-350 you can build a fairly capable HTPC that can play some games, so I don't see the need for this personally.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#15 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

why we keep having this discussion? it's targeted at people who don't want a rig, it's targeted at people who think having a rig is "hard" or a hassle. yes it's targeted more towards consolelets.

HOPEFULLY steam sticks to their price formal but charging full or o most full cost for the steambox so prices stay the same on steam. That's the beauty of a pc. MORE you play on your pc, MORE YOU SAVE. MORE you play on a console, MORE YOU SPEND due to the pricing system

even if it cost 600-700, IF stupid apple can get away stuff trice as much trash off namebrand they can get off selling for the cost of it

when dude gave that on hardware for living room stuff ECT. HE also said it was for the normal pc gamer and it most likely be less open source as a pc. Even if you want go the pc rig route that option is still there.

Masenkoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Masenkoe

[QUOTE="Masenkoe"]

[QUOTE="darkspineslayer"] Fair enough, though even most (if not all) pre-builds would give you the ability to upgrade on your own. Personally, I would build a rig if I wanted to get into PC gaming, simply because its a better value-money ratio. That and I wouldn't fall for Alienware. :Psavagetwinkie

alienware isn't as bad any more, their desktops are probably only a couple of hundred more than if you built it yourself with support on the full system. There are more reasons than just cost, someone might want to be able to pick up the phone and ahve someone to yell at if something doesn't work right, you don't get that luxury with the "build it yourself" models.

Yes you do, if a part is broken when you recieve it you can complain. Have you not looked at 70% of the user reviews on Newegg?

People are more likely to complain when something breaks rather than state when something worked spot on.

Either way, I find Alienware PCs to be incredibly inbalanced. An i7 isunnecessary for gaming, and usually the graphics cards they put in the more "reasonable" models are low-mid range cards. So do you really get a good value? No. I also wouldn't ever pay somebody $200 for something that is so easy to do.

Avatar image for deactivated-58b6232955e4a
deactivated-58b6232955e4a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-58b6232955e4a
Member since 2006 • 15594 Posts
Console gamers.
bad_fur_day

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 bad_fur_day
Member since 2008 • 1988 Posts

If it's a console with mouse support i'm in.

Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
People who are ignorant about PC's but want the games.
IAmNot_fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 IAmNot_fun
Member since 2010 • 3336 Posts
I will hold my judgment until we know more about what it actually is.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

why we keep having this discussion? it's targeted at people who don't want a rig, it's targeted at people who think having a rig is "hard" or a hassle. yes it's targeted more towards consolelets.

HOPEFULLY steam sticks to their price formal but charging full or o most full cost for the steambox so prices stay the same on steam. That's the beauty of a pc. MORE you play on your pc, MORE YOU SAVE. MORE you play on a console, MORE YOU SPEND due to the pricing system

even if it cost 600-700, IF stupid apple can get away stuff trice as much trash off namebrand they can get off selling for the cost of it

when dude gave that on hardware for living room stuff ECT. HE also said it was for the normal pc gamer and it most likely be less open source as a pc. Even if you want go the pc rig route that option is still there.

k2theswiss
Why would these apparently uninformed consolites suddenly decide they want what the PC scene is cooking now that Steambox is around. What about it is going to away them from their consoles?
p3anut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 p3anut
Member since 2005 • 6609 Posts

It's for the console players who can't afford a real gaming PC.

mlavinder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 mlavinder
Member since 2002 • 25 Posts

It is a competitive play. Gabe Newell is very concerned about the advent of Windows Store and Mac Store. The fear is that Microsoft will evenually only allow software from Windows Store to be installed. Apple has already done that with iOS and appears to be going that direction on Mac. Xbox, Playstation, and Nintendo all have their individual stores. The whole "walled garden" software distribution model seems to be taking shape everwhere. Gabe sees a world (in a not to distant future) where Steam is irrelevant.

Valve could realistically loose Steam everywhere but Linux. If PC gaming and Steam are to survive in its current form, Gabe believes it will have to be on Linux. Linux is the life boat. Gabe and Valve want to see Linux become the new Windows when it comes to PC gaming. They almost have enough power to make that happen, and porting Steam to Linux was a start, but something will have to entice developers. Enter Steam Box.

Who is the target market? Good question. Hopefully they'll have one, but ultimately it is a competitive move to keep Steam alive and kicking. If they launch it and make Half-Life 3 exclusive to Linux, they might be able to sell enough Steam Boxes, or encourage enough people to install Linux, so more developers consider Linux ports. It appears from the rumors that Valve would be perfectly happy working with todays PC makers. I forsee more than just a Valve built console/PC. I believe there will likely be some sort of Steam-centric Linux distro and development kit.

Ultimately I think the goal is to attempt to revolutionize PC gaming and make the Dells and HPs of the world start building hardware to take on, or provide an alternative to, consoles. Who will buy it is an after thought, but one they will ultimately have to provide an answer to.

jethrovegas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 jethrovegas
Member since 2007 • 5103 Posts

The core gamer looking at PC gaming? Why limit themselves? Build a rig and get the full experience. darkspineslayer

A daunting task for the novice. Someone looking to get into PC gaming might not want to go to the trouble at all, and probably wouldn't like the idea of paying for a ridiculously priced pre-built PC either.

Valve, I think, is trying to ease into that sweet-spot in between.

Masenkoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Masenkoe

[QUOTE="darkspineslayer"] The core gamer looking at PC gaming? Why limit themselves? Build a rig and get the full experience. jethrovegas

A daunting task for the novice. Someone looking to get into PC gaming might not want to go to the trouble at all, and probably wouldn't like the idea of paying for a ridiculously priced pre-built PC either.

I think to call it daunting is a bit much. The difficulty of building a computer is extremely exaggerated, while it may take a couple hours to learn enough to put one together it doesn't take much more than that a few google searches and youtube videos. It's quite simple.

Avatar image for hartsickdiscipl
hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#26 hartsickdiscipl
Member since 2003 • 14787 Posts

[QUOTE="darkspineslayer"] The core gamer looking at PC gaming? Why limit themselves? Build a rig and get the full experience. jethrovegas

Putting together and setting up a PC isn't much more difficult than building with legos nowadays. Everything snaps together, you install the OS, and you're good to go.

jethrovegas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 jethrovegas
Member since 2007 • 5103 Posts
I think to call it daunting is a bit much. The difficulty of building a computer is extremely exaggerated, while it may take a couple hours to learn enough to put one together it doesn't take much more than that a few google searches and youtube videos. It's quite simple.Masenkoe
Yes, the difficulty is exaggerated, but I was speaking to the perception of Valve's probable target audience, not to the reality. The thought, I guess, would be "oh my, all those wires and boxes and stuff, I can't do this" or simply "that's inconvenient, I'm feeling lazy." Steam has always been about convenience, so this approach seems natural on Valve's part.
Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#28 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts
It makes PC gaming less intimidating for console gamers. Same as Big Picture mode but on a larger scale. Many console gamers would come to PC if the platform just had a friendlier face on it. At least that's what Valve is banking on.
mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

[QUOTE="darkspineslayer"]The core gamer looking at PC gaming? Why limit themselves? Build a rig and get the full experience.Masenkoe

I bought a prebuilt one. couldn't be happier.
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts
My guess is that it's for everybody. Id almost bet that valve is going to make a bold move on the software size, price wise. I'll consider a new console contender, for sure. Edit: also, Half Life 3 will be exclusive to the console.
painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 painguy1
Member since 2007 • 8686 Posts

People who are ignorant about PC's but want the games.Zeviander

right here

Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

The same people that buy alienwares, prebuilts, gaming laptops as their go to pc gaming experience. Also curious newcomers that would like to try pc titles, but in a simpler form like a console that play pc games.

Seems like a niche system for me. I have not seen Valve pull off any serious marketting before besides portal 2 on tv, and even then they would need lottts more of it to be somewhat competitive. They need to create awareness on what is a steambox to the mainstream or else it will be a niche system(unless that is what they intended) or a complete failure.

Stream_Beta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Stream_Beta
Member since 2007 • 352 Posts

It is meant for all the gamers that complain about how complicated PC gaming is, how they prefer controllers and sitting on their couch.

Blake135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Blake135
Member since 2008 • 3994 Posts

My PC can barely play Far Cry 3 I have to use the Ultra Low Mod for it to get it in a stable sate. Im holding off buying a new PC to see what the Steambox is about before I make any decision. It will be interesting to see what they come up with I believe Valve said games experienced a 15%-20% increase in performance when they run on Linux maybe games would run even better if they were optimised properly for it, hell I don't know never touched Linux before In my life. But the idea of a more Focused PC OS catered towards gaming without all the BS Microsoft shoves into it sounds like a good idea to me.

Valve doesn't have to pay MS to run a modified version of its OS so that saves them money on each unit, plus if it is true that games could potentially run better on a Linix OS, could mean the SteamBox could use Cheaper hardware and games would still run reasonable well on them,cheaper for Valve cheaper for the consumer.

Valve takes a 30%? cut of Sales from the games it puts on steam, what if they cut it down to 20% if the Developer ports their game to the Steambox, might get more Publishers and developers interested in porting their games. Hell we have nothing to go on so for now we can only guess, valve is a smart company and obviously a smart business so I have faith in them. System sounds great for people like me that are not hardcore PC gamers but want the freedom of PC Gaming and the cheap games that come along with it.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts
I really don't have a clue who this would be for. I could see buying one for my kids so they could get into PC gaming. But the only way that would happen is if both my kids (on their Steamboat) and me (on my PC) could play on my Steam account at the same time. If not, then I wouldn't have any interest in getting it for my kids. But really, it can't be for people like me and my example of why I would get one. Just not enough sells there. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out next gen.
Masenkoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Masenkoe

As it stands, you can use your steam account on multiple computers a time just not online on multiple computers at once.

I don't see that really changing anytime soon.

ultraking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ultraking
Member since 2004 • 6904 Posts
yea, im not really seeing the point of it either.
NEWMAHAY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 NEWMAHAY
Member since 2012 • 3824 Posts
Its a PC with a different OS that isn't a resource hog.
ArisShadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ArisShadows
Member since 2004 • 22784 Posts
Probably for those looking to getting into PC gaming but feel too intimidated. EliteM0nk3y
The one with the lovely siggy hits it straight on the head.
DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts

I won't be bothering with it. I have a top of the line rig, a medium rig hooked up to another monitor and a minor rig hooked up to my TV, I also have a PS3 and a Wii U, I really don't need anything else.

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 jhonMalcovich
Member since 2010 • 7090 Posts

The more and more I ask myself this question, the stranger it sounds to me. As it stands we're looking at a potential midrange PC with a Linux based operating system to run Steam based PC games and intended to be connected to a TV like a console. Who is honestly looking for this product? Soccer moms and retirement homes? Still happy with the Wii. Console frat boys? Perfectly happy playing CoD and sports games on their 360. Core console gamers? I could see a few converts, but anything serious? Why would they dive in now? Core PC gamers? They already have rigs that could run circles around the Steambox, and the ability to connect it to the TV, as they constantly bring up. The core gamer looking at PC gaming? Why limit themselves? Build a rig and get the full experience. A Linux based steam isn't exactly going to have the full library, probably ever. Windows is going to dominate PC gaming for a long time to come, right? This will probably be written off as a poor troll thread, but i hope some may be able to awnser this question. It's as obscure to me as the idea of Ouya succeeding on a major level. Where is the market here?darkspineslayer

It all depends on pricing. If Valve can offer a real gaming PC at a price of a nextgen console, i mean, 500-600$ then there a lot of people who want to incurse into PC gaming but they are not willing to pay for a $800-1000$. They are not willing to deal with OS installations, etc. The only thing they want is plug-and-play.

Besides Valve was consistenly reporting that Linux-based OS, perform 30% more efficient for gaming. So basically they want to develop an OS dedicated to PC gaming and not general tasks like Windows. That would allow, GTX660 on Steam OS,for example, have the same performance as 670 on Windows.

You see, PC dedicated to PC gaming, at 500-600$ that is plug-and-play would sell like hotcakes.

In another my thread I already showed a gaming pc at 607$ with the following build:

AMD FX-8150 6-Core 3.5 GHz
Gigabyte AMD 760G Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance 8 GB ( 2 x 4 GB ) DDR3 1600 MHz
EVGA GeForce GTX 660 SUPERCLOCKED 2048MB GDDR5
Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 500w
Seagate ST2000DM001 Barracuda 7200RPM 2 TB SATA 6 GB/s

Cooler Master Elite 430 - Mid Tower

If I can build 600$ pc with quality components that can run BF3 in ultra 50fps, imagine what Steam can make for the same price if they go for bigger scale like contracts with AMD, Nvidia and other brand manufactures.

And this, with Steam OS, will be dedicated to PC gaming...

At a price of 500-600$...

You see potential now.

Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Chris_Williams
Member since 2009 • 14882 Posts

steam fanboys

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts

Maybe the casual gamer looking to get into PC gaming.

Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Malta_1980
Member since 2008 • 11890 Posts

Although its still early for now am not interested in Steambox, since I'd rather spend that money into building a new gaming PC..

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts
People are looking into the situation as if the steam box is different from any other console. it isn't, its a console that happens to run on linux (instant pirate machine confirmed). Its to compete with consoles, its to take market share from nintendo/sony/microsoft because Valve believes they have a shot, why? THE BUSINESS MODEL IS FAR BETTER FOR THE CONSUMER and in return far better for them. It has every chance as microsoft did with the first xbox (everyone said they would fail... they are now beating the giant sony. and are in the most lucrative position.).
Lightning_fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Lightning_fan
Member since 2012 • 351 Posts

Probably because if you seek help in buliding a PC on the PC forum you get a ton of snide remarks and people insulting your intellect rather than expanded the market for the platform.
mlavinder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 mlavinder
Member since 2002 • 25 Posts

If Steam can get this out early enough so that it beat the next Xbox and Playstation to market, and if they can show it is capable of high-end PC experience at a fraction of the cost, they might be able to appeal to enough console people and PC gamers to sell it. Those are some VERY big IFS and I have doubts.

That said I don't think that's what they are trying to do. What I actually believe is this is more or less a concept device. I have seen some articles that Valve would welcome PC makers building their own Steam Box, presumably with Valve providing the software to make the whole thing work. I think they are attempting to be the Google Android of gaming. They are not trying to knock Sony, Microsoft, or Nintendo off a throne. The even said you need to buy a PC if you want a full PC experience. They want to revitalize the PC gaming market and ensure Steam's survival by creating a new type of device.

I am someone that use to play games on my console AND my PC. Once I got married, it would be hard to convince my wife to spend a fortune on a gaming right, especially when I wasn't sure I saw the value I once did. I would have fought for it if I thought it was worth it, but I was much better with dual analog sticks and the differences between console graphics and PC were harder to spot, especially with what I was willing to pay for a PC. I abandoned PC gaming willingly, and I wasn't alone. The market for high-end games on PC is not what it once was.

Something like Steam Box might be enough to entice myself and other like me back to PC gaming, but that probably won't be enough to start a revolution. I get what they want to do and why, but based on this forum, I think they have a very hard road ahead.

But then again you never know in this industry. The Wii and iPad were both devices that many people wrote off until it was apparent they had been wrong. The competitors to Wii from Microsoft and Sony took a while to materialize because no one expected the level of success. Also, the iPad got a big head start with almost no competition as well. There's always the chance Valve is holding an ace they haven't shown and will surprise everyone with something we're not expecting. I will say this: if it is more or less a Linux PC you hook to your TV for gaming without an ace in the hand, they had better have some masterful marketing planned.

(Even a Half-Life 3 exclusive would be a pretty good ace)

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts
[QUOTE="Masenkoe"]

[QUOTE="darkspineslayer"]The core gamer looking at PC gaming? Why limit themselves? Build a rig and get the full experience.Lightning_fan

Probably because if you seek help in buliding a PC on the PC forum you get a ton of snide remarks and people insulting your intellect rather than expanded the market for the platform.

If you only ask on /g/. Go to OCN then you'll get proper answers.