Steam surpasses 7.1m concurrent online users

• 162 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts

The master race continues to strenghten its numbers. In future, Steam OS will also provide a platform upon which even the stupid and inept console children can play games in the best hardware without console restrictions.

-RPGamer-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#2 -RPGamer-
Member since 2002 • 34283 Posts

Do PC gamers often feel the need to insult everyone? I mean I starting to think PC gamers are the same as CoD Gamers. They use different words, but the venom is the same.

Fishsticklover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Fishsticklover
Member since 2013 • 252 Posts

How can you call yourself a master race when 99% of your race has a horrible low spec computer? Infact next-gen consoles are better than most Hermit's PC's which means there is only one master race and that is the console master race.

PS: that number doesn't say much, i'm logged in on Steam as well, and i'm not even using it atm, it just starts up with Windows.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52427 Posts

Puckhog04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Puckhog04
Member since 2003 • 22814 Posts

So 1/7 of your community actually plays games? That number is astoundingly low. Valve simply moved to the Steam Box because they want a part of the massive Console Market. Just like with every new indie dev on PC; Eventually they move to Consoles where the majority of gamers are. Even Amnesia's developer is producing SOMA on the PS4.

gMcR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By gMcR
Member since 2004 • 216 Posts

Glory to Gaben. He shall devour the consoles and smite the unbelievers.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@fishsticklover said:

How can you call yourself a master race when 99% of your race has a horrible low spec computer? Infact next-gen consoles are better than most Hermit's PC's which means there is only one master race and that is the console master race.

PS: that number doesn't say much, i'm logged in on Steam as well, and i'm not even using it atm, it just starts up with Windows.

console master race

LOL

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

@-RPGamer- said:

Do PC gamers often feel the need to insult everyone? I mean I starting to think PC gamers are the same as CoD Gamers. They use different words, but the venom is the same.

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/head-of-the-console-master-race-checkin-in-30964655/#7

-RPGamer-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9 -RPGamer-
Member since 2002 • 34283 Posts

@clyde46: console gamers rarely unite. The term master race and calling console gamers idiots is a day to day activity from the hermit camp.

Avatar image for SirSlimyScrotum
SirSlimyScott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 SirSlimyScott
Member since 2013 • 275 Posts

@-Unreal-: You truly are a ****, anyway well done to Mr.Steam.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 clyde46
@fishsticklover said:

Its good to be the 1%. Also, since you are just "logged in", you'll know just how useless the Steam stats are.

MrYaotubo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12  Edited By MrYaotubo
Member since 2012 • 2884 Posts

@Puckhog04 said:

So 1/7 of your community actually plays games? That number is astoundingly low. Valve simply moved to the Steam Box because they want a part of the massive Console Market. Just like with every new indie dev on PC; Eventually they move to Consoles where the majority of gamers are. Even Amnesia's developer is producing SOMA on the PS4.

You do realise that this is over twice as much as the concurrent record on a console ever right?

I guess that´s why so many previously console only developers are putting their games on the PC these days unlike in the past,they know steam/PC is where the money is these days and where some of the most popular and most played games in the world reside.

And lets´s not forget that this is steam alone lol.

Puckhog04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Puckhog04

@MrYaotubo said:

@Puckhog04 said:

You do realise that this is over twice as much as the concurrent record on a console ever right?

I guess that´s why so many previously console only developers are putting their games on the PC these days unlike in the past,they know steam/PC is where the money is these days and where some of the most popular and most played games in the world reside.

Wrong. PC versions of games are virtually free as they make games through computers. Despite the fact that the games are pirated to hell and back on PC, it's still free revenue for them because it cost them virtually nothing to put it on PC as that's usually where the game is made. Nice try though. Have GTAV, yet? Yea, thought so.

MrYaotubo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MrYaotubo

@Puckhog04 said:

@MrYaotubo said:

@Puckhog04 said:

Wrong. PC versions of games are virtually free as they make games through computers. Despite the fact that the games are pirated to hell and back on PC, it's still free revenue for them because it cost them virtually nothing to put it on PC as that's usually where the game is made. Nice try though. Have GTAV, yet? Yea, thought so.

lol GTA is really the only thing the desperate console fanboys like you have as ammo these days,but that path is really thorny for you fellas when you start mentioning the number of games that consoles don´t get as well,and its a much,much higher nuumber,so keep hailing the GTA V desperation until next year when you won´t have that argument anymore lol.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By clyde46

@Puckhog04 said:

@MrYaotubo said:

@Puckhog04 said:

Stop chatting shit, you are making a fool of yourself.

Puckhog04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Puckhog04

@MrYaotubo said:

@Puckhog04 said:

@MrYaotubo said:

@Puckhog04 said:

lol GTA is really the only thing the desperate console fanboys like you have as ammo these days,but that path is really thorny for you fellas when you start mentioning the number of games that consoles don´t get as well,and its a much,much higher nuumber,so keep hailing the GTA V desperation until next year when you won´t have that argument anymore lol.

I'm actually somewhat bored of GTAV now. I'm waiting for Amnesia developers SOMA on the PS4. Going to be a good one.

MK-Professor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 MK-Professor
Member since 2009 • 4214 Posts

This thread cause butthurt to some console peasants, nice...

Nanomage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Nanomage
Member since 2011 • 2371 Posts

@Puckhog04 said:

@MrYaotubo said:

@Puckhog04 said:

Dude,don´t embarass yourself anymore than you already have lol.

Puckhog04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Puckhog04

@Nanomage said:

@Puckhog04 said:

@MrYaotubo said:

@Puckhog04 said:

Who's embarassed? My point still stands. Every dev that started on PC ends up on Console because that's where the majority of users are. And I'm correct. Even the likes of DayZ will be appearing on PS4.

MrYaotubo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MrYaotubo

@Puckhog04 said:

@MrYaotubo said:

@Puckhog04 said:

@MrYaotubo said:

@Puckhog04 said:

I'm actually somewhat bored of GTAV now. I'm waiting for Amnesia developers SOMA on the PS4. Going to be a good one.

Sure will,gonna enjoy that on the PC,alongside the seminal and one of the very best(if not the) horror games ever made Amnesia The Dark Descent wich will never see a console release ever lol.

Also will be enjoying Dark Souls 2 quite a bit,as well as so many upcoming previously top console only titles than now are PC games as well,getting the best of both world is awesome,no wonder PC gaming is growing so much and as of last year was making over 20 Billion,more than all home consoles and handhelds combined,the devs know where the action is now,missing the PC is missing a lot of money.

Also,PC versions are virtually free? lol,you really know nothing of game development,unsurprisingly.

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

@Puckhog04 said:

@Nanomage said:

@Puckhog04 said:

@MrYaotubo said:

@Puckhog04 said:

Who's embarassed? My point still stands. Every dev that started on PC ends up on Console because that's where the majority of users are. And I'm correct. Even the likes of DayZ will be appearing on PS4.

What I'm seeing is PC devs going to consoles and console devs going to PC.

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#22 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

@-RPGamer- said:

looks posts on system wars

Head of the Console Master Race checkin in

Aside from good graphics why would anyone want to PC game?

Nanomage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Nanomage
Member since 2011 • 2371 Posts

@Puckhog04 said:

@Nanomage said:

@Puckhog04 said:

@MrYaotubo said:

@Puckhog04 said:

Same as pretty much almost every dev that started console only now is on the PC as well aside from platform exclusives because PC gaming is growing uinsanely in the last few years so no console only developer that likes money wants to miss the train,plenty of them even already report how much more money some of their games are making compared to the console released of the same titles,and you say DayZ is coming tothe PS4? Dean just stated last week that nothing is confirmed and all depends on the sucess of the PC version and even if it´s very sucessful a console port will be dowscaled and not be on any console for a long time,but the funny part is that console devs are putting their games on the PC willingly but PC games to console isn´t like that,it´s the hardware manufacturers that aproach them waiving cash so iobviously any sane person would want to make more money,but they don´t go running after the consoles like console devs go these days to the PC like there´s no towmorrow and all by themselves,that says a lot.

So no,your point doesn´t stand.

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#24 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23286 Posts

Oh,the consolite butthurt is truly showing in this thread,so amusing to watch lol.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 clyde46

Puckhog getting schooled again.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

@MK-Professor said:

This thread cause butthurt to some console peasants, nice...

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Krelian-co

@Puckhog04 said:

@MrYaotubo said:

@Puckhog04 said:

SamiRDuran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28  Edited By SamiRDuran
Member since 2005 • 2758 Posts

the x1 and ps4 won't even dream of reaching 7m concurrent users even at the end of this generation. console gaming has fallen so much behind in the past few years all pc gaming needed was a place for the insane amount of pc gamers in the world to gather... steam gave us that.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Cranler
Member since 2005 • 8809 Posts

@MrYaotubo said:

@Puckhog04 said:

People leave their pc's on all the time. If console users left their consoles on as much as pc users do then the concurrent users would be significantly higher for console.

MrYaotubo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By MrYaotubo

@Cranler said:

@MrYaotubo said:

@Puckhog04 said:

People leave their pc's on all the time. If console users left their consoles on as much as pc users do then the concurrent users would be significantly higher for console.

Sure,but you can leave your PC on without being logged into steam,and again like I said let´s not forget that this is steam alone,when you add the number from origin wich has for instance the most played version of BF4 being the only version almost always above 100k concurrent players,add that the still very high BF3 numbers and the overall servive wich has over 30 million users and the number on the PC platform grwos significantly, Oh wait,there´s also Blizzard´s Battle.net with super popular games like WoW,SC2,HS and D3 wich overall have millions of players logging in everyday further grwoing the PC overall numbers way more high up...and then there´s all the games that have the clients of their own and not available on any service other than their own websites such as Minecraft and the millions that play it(about 13 million copies sold on PC) or the most played game in the world,League of Legends wich has almost as many active accounts than the whole xbox live lol,iRacing etc...when you add those numbers all together,cuncurent or not no console comes even remotely close. And then there´s GOG,etc...

Steam alone has these amazing numbers and it´s all but one of many services on the PC while the stats from ps and xbla reflect that userbase overall,and lets not forget that sony has boasted of having so many millions of accounts that in the end...also include PC games like Everquest or Planetside lol.

Cyberdot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Cyberdot
Member since 2013 • 3928 Posts

PC is the most played platform.

That's why it has the most games, most developers and biggest community.

nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts

@-RPGamer- said:

Do PC gamers often feel the need to insult everyone?

Always. Most insecure group of fanboys around here.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Cranler
Member since 2005 • 8809 Posts

@MrYaotubo said:

@Cranler said:

@MrYaotubo said:

@Puckhog04 said:

Sure,but you can leave your PC on without being logged into steam,and again like I said let´s not forget that this is steam alone,when you add the number from origin wich has for instance the most played version of BF4 being the only version almost always above 100k concurrent players,add that the still very high BF3 numbers and the overall servive wich has over 30 million users and the number on the PC platform grwos significantly, Oh wait,there´s also Blizzard´s Battle.net with super popular games like WoW,SC2,HS and D3 wich overall have millions of players logging in everyday further grwoing the PC overall numbers way more high up...and then there´s all the games that have the clients of their own and not available on any service other than their own websites such as Minecraft and the millions that play it(about 13 million copies sold on PC) or the most played game in the world,League of Legends wich has almost as many active accounts than the whole xbox live lol,iRacing etc...when you add those numbers all together,cuncurent or not no console comes even remotely close. And then there´s GOG,etc...

Steam alone has these amazing numbers and it´s all but one of many services on the PC while the stats from ps and xbla reflect that userbase overall,and lets not forget that sony has boasted of having so many millions of accounts that in the end...also include PC games like Everquest or Planetside lol.

Steams default setting is to log the user in automatically. Why would a steam user want to log out of steam?

No way to prove this but logic dictates that most origin users are on steam as well. Every pc gamer I know, including me, uses both. Same could be said for Battlenet as well.

Also remember that most multiplat games still sell better on console. Record breakers are always on console. It's very likely that theres more ps 3's and 360's than pc's capable of playing multiplats. And multiplats is what the guy i was responding to was mentioning.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@Cranler said:

@MrYaotubo said:

@Puckhog04 said:

Although I love Puckhog being schooled, this man speaks the truth. My steam and many other people's start when windows starts... i am not "concurrently" doing anything with steam atm. the REAL concurrent users are "Those playing a game now" which is a fraction of what those figures suggest. yes some people leave consoles on, but far less... because they barely do anything else other than play films and some crap apps you can use on your phone.

That being said, pleanty of games not represented by steam, the three major missing games World of Tanks, World of Warcraft and League of Legends players, even minecraft players are not represented by steam let alone the thousands of "lesser popular" titles.

Dota 2 however through steam gives you a good idea of the popularity of top-popular PC games... often peaking over 600k ... only Cod ever comes close or halo and thats only for a month or 2.... dota 2 has been out 2 years. league has even higher numbers, though no specifics lets say 800-1000k. and world of tanks. WoW probably has a couple 100ks.

and consoles think their games are bigger... laughable, only cod....

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@nethernova said:

@-RPGamer- said:

Do PC gamers often feel the need to insult everyone?

Always. Most insecure group of fanboys around here.

Nice way to try and justify the situation to yourself like every other sore-loser that cannot beat "bragging rights" with any real rebutal, but keep telling yourself this, maybe you will start believing it, or cry less.

Avatar image for APiranhaAteMyVa
APiranhaAteMyVa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 APiranhaAteMyVa
Member since 2011 • 4160 Posts

Steam is a fantastic service, great numbers.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#37 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58965 Posts

@-RPGamer- said:

It's hard being the best.

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

No wonder 103 games released for Steam in November alone. Devs can't pass up that big of an audience.

It'll only get better too. That's what's so great about it.

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By jhonMalcovich
Member since 2010 • 7090 Posts

It´s amazing. Just a year ago it was only 6M.

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#40 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts

@-Unreal-: How many of them only play DOTA 2?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@hiphops_savior said:

@-Unreal-: How many of them only play DOTA 2?

who cares

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#42 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts

@lostrib: Because the numbers could just be fools gold, aka people who has no intention of purchasing games on Steam and use double accounts for DOTA 2 without consequences.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 lostrib

@hiphops_savior said:

@lostrib: Because the numbers could just be fools gold, aka people who has no intention of purchasing games on Steam and use double accounts for DOTA 2 without consequences.

Well steams concurrent peak is 7 million+, and the peak for DOTA 2 is only 543K.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

@clyde46 said:
@fishsticklover said:

Its good to be the 1%. Also, since you are just "logged in", you'll know just how useless the Steam stats are.

We need to start a new group called the 1%ers :P. I am also a member.

jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#45 jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts

That's pretty darn cool. Steam is a beast of epic proportions, rightly so too.

Always good to see the PC crowd plentiful!

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Krelian-co

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@clyde46 said:
@fishsticklover said:

We need to start a new group called the 1%er :P. I am also a member.

hey a lot of 1% users around here, me too, lets laugh at the peasants.

SteXmaN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#47 SteXmaN
Member since 2012 • 550 Posts

Domination continues...

Gargus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Gargus
Member since 2006 • 2147 Posts

7 million out of 7 billion isn't a lot.

145ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 145ty
Member since 2005 • 564 Posts

The Steam numbers are pretty good. Especially if you compare a very popular game for consoles like Battlefield 4 which PC usually has more players playing concurrently. There was 115k on PC VS like 65k on Xbox 360. Hell even Skyrim is still hitting 60-70k concurrent (garuntee that its not even close on console) as well as games like PoE and Warframe hitting 20k concurrent is pretty impressive.

Add in LoL, Blizzard games + other MMOs (SWTOR, FFXIV, GW2 etc.,) plus many others and the PC gaming community is huge. Compare it to console where shooter games reign supreme (CoD,BF4 ETC., are their big number games (and PC BF4 is probably 50% larger then the consoles) it really shows how much PC gaming is growing.

Hell in Killzone Shadow Fall the multiplayer is a wasteland like 2k players, a indie game I bought called Chivalry had a bit over 5k when I compared them today.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 lostrib

@Gargus said:

7 million out of 7 billion isn't a lot.

what?