Steam has the worst achivement system EVER

• 75 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for EducatingU_PCMR
EducatingU_PCMR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By EducatingU_PCMR
Member since 2013 • 1581 Posts

No one gives 2 sh**s about achievements.

Achivements/trophies were introduced because publishers need to somehow increase the value of their overpriced garbage content-lacking games. They are just a way to keep dumb sheep from reselling the game too early by making you complete the game over and over again so you can't contribute to the used market (more damaging than piracy)

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#52  Edited By clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@foxhound_fox said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@foxhound_fox said:

So that makes what... a list with a single point on it?

the list is so big at this point im not even going to bother to list everything but here is a snippet

1. bang for the buck

2. customer support

3. compatibility

4. ease of use

1. $400 USD + tax for something that can't achieve 1080p60. Yep.
  2. I've heard absolutely horrid things about MS and Sony customer service. Not seeing the plus here.
  3. Because the PS4 and Xbone only play PS4 and Xbone games respectively. No backwards compatibility because they want you to rebuy all your games.
  4. Maybe in the days of true plug-n-play, but now there are more mandatory updates and installations than on PC.

I'm not sure how people can justify paying an arm and a leg for either the PS4 or Xbone when they barely have any worthwhile software and try so hard to be a PC-like platform, but fail so miserably since they have to remain closed to any sort of real customization.

I'd like to see the rest of this "list" because there are very few reasons to own a console (non-Nintendo) these days if you have access to even a halfway decent PC. All the worthwhile (non-Nintendo) games this generation have been multiplatform. Hell, most of the Platform and GOTY's for this year have been multiplatform.

1. is there $400 pc that can do 1080p/60fps? nope. ps4/x1 are much cheaper now anyway usually $350+ game, no way any pc can offer more bang of the buck

2. bullshit. ms/sony customer services is miles better than steam or origin. i bought moh airbourne and the bloody thing doesnt even work and origin customer service was fukin clueless.

3. all x1 games will work on x1, will all pc games work on pc? nope. compatibility/performance issues, bad ports et.

4. offline mode, dont have to update anything. and installs literally take 3-4min on ps4 for most games

1. The PS4 struggles with 1080/60 with most not even reaching that target at all. Steam sales, best bang for buck on the planet.

2. Anecdotal evidence

3. MCC didn't work as you so kindly pointed out on multiple occasions...

4. Updates takes seconds on Steam, hell I don't even know its actually updating the game as its all done in the background.

PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#53 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts

I wish Steam would get rid of the silly achievements and trading card BS, they're just unnecessary clutter.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11796 Posts

People still care about achievements? All of my achievements have been gotten unintentionally or for doing stuff you're suppose to be doing.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#55  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61485 Posts

@clyde46 said:

3. MCC didn't work as you so kindly pointed out on multiple occasions...

That was a pretty fucking lulzworthy blow to @ghostwarrior79 Nice.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts
@NoodleFighter said:

People still care about achievements? All of my achievements have been gotten unintentionally or for doing stuff you're suppose to be doing.

If it wasnt for achievements had you really cared about all collectibles in games like papers/notes/dogtags/whatever spread out all over our games?

I bought Assassins Creed 3 at WiiU launch and i thought hmm wtf am i collecting this shit when i dont get achievements for it:P

Avatar image for harry_james_pot
harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#57 harry_james_pot  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 11414 Posts

On the other hand, Steam let's you compare achievements from any game with your friends, and you can see the completion percentage for each achievement. You can even make a showcase on your profile with the rarest achievements that you have, or make a custom showcase.
So if you care about achievements that much there's plenty to do.. Not seeing a list of your friend's perfect games isn't a big deal.

RageQuit4Life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#58 RageQuit4Life
Member since 2010 • 527 Posts

Sometime I wish Steam's achievement system is more like Playstation or Xbox One's system with points/trophies.

thedude-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 thedude-
Member since 2009 • 2369 Posts

Achievements rarely are put in a game correctly.

Roler42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#60 Roler42
Member since 2013 • 1067 Posts

I have 152 hours in games like Terraria, and that game has no achievements whatsoever

I wonder how TC managed to replay games back when the achievement system was... nonexistant

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#61 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5249 Posts

It seems to me that achievements are nothing more than bragging rights.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

what surprises me the most is that someone actually played a Steam game that long instead of moving to the next one without finishing it.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19571 Posts

Getting "platinum" on Steam means absolutely nothing, since there are games with 1 achievement, and games like Tales of Maj'Eyal with over 1300 achievements.

In any case, it's easy to compare achievements with friends on Steam. Just click their stats for their games, and a comparison option will be in the corner of the window.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

who cares? the only achievement system that matters is on XBL and even that is irrelevant now.

Bardock47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Bardock47
Member since 2008 • 5429 Posts

Used to be an achievement whore myself; always added some fun challenges to try and get. Gotta say that is an odd omission

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#66 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts

Being someone that was OCD about Achievements on Xbox 360 from 2005 to 2010, I'm glad Steam doesn't put a huge focus on Achievements/Trophies like LIVE/PSN does.

Now I can actually enjoy the game and play it the way I want, instead of having to grind or change my play style to satisfy to a dumb achievement requirement.:)

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#67 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts

Just ask them? if they're your friend they'll tell you.

Although the features are gated behind levels. You can show it if you choose to for those that care for them. People that dont care about achievements can competely hide their achievement panel.

Why complain about achievements when Steam gives you trading cards that you can sell for Steam credit for just playing the game? lol

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#68 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Today I learned: People actually care about Achievements.

Lol.

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#69 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

Lol.

TYou ever going to drop that pitiful act of yours? Stuffed into too many lockers in school? Have to act like a smart ass on here lol. Of course people care. A lot.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#70 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@millerlight89 said:

@charizard1605 said:

Lol.

TYou ever going to drop that pitiful act of yours? Stuffed into too many lockers in school? Have to act like a smart ass on here lol. Of course people care. A lot.

What in the world are you talking about?

Did you have a bad day and decide to randomly take it out on me or something?

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

It seems like I get roughly 20 achievements on most games I play. None of them are intentional. They just pop up to annoy me at random points.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

Lol.

i care more about achievements than i ever will about mario kart 8 and smash bros. at least achievements are fun

nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts

I can't help but laugh at those "Who cares?" posts when PC gamers have been obsessed with shit like k/d ratios in some crappy shooters for like forever.

Know something else nobody cares about? When idiots post their complete PC specs in their signature. "Oh wow, look at the PSU that guy is using!" Lulz. Achievements can be fun and having options is never wrong. Something else hermits have been bragging about by the way. Having options. "Bu-bu-but I can choose different resolutions and use different controllers! Options are teh awesomez!" Well, suddenly they aren't.

Silly hypocrites.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#75 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

@millerlight89 said:

@charizard1605 said:

Lol.

What in the world are you talking about?

Did you have a bad day and decide to randomly take it out on me or something?

sooo...every day for him then? :P