Sony's new patent supresses used games....

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Microsoft1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#101 Microsoft1234
Member since 2006 • 7683 Posts

[QUOTE="Microsoft1234"]not confirmed, and there were rumors over summer for this becoming standard. I don't like it at all though. on the other hand (sayonara gamestop, if it ever happened). nintendoboy16

On another hand, sayonara mom and pop stores, ebay and amazon sellers.

Seriously, why is Gamestop the only target in this mess?

it's the "small good" in an overall bad move. I hope it never becomes standard.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#102 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

I just see it as them patenting things to make their investors and make publishers happy. I don't see them utilizing it.

If they do, nothing will really change. People are really overblowing this. If anything you should all be demanding that retailer actually compete for your money. This $60 standard across all retailers is just 100% bullcrap. There is no incentive to shop at one store over another right now.

Rocker6

Retailer exclusive DLC is fairly common among high profile publishers, guess that's the way to provide the incentive...

That's terrible incentive. The best incentive is price. Right now I see $60 across all retailer while online through various DD services I see hundreds of great sales with all of the major distribute rs trying to get me to purchase through them through having great deals.

It's not that games launch at $60 that is the problem, it's that many stay at $60 for far too long. Since there are a few standards that everybody always plays, new games often die out quickly as everybody just goes back to CoD and Halo after playing a new game for awhile. Games just don't last that long. Even on the PC it's rare that a non single-player title lasts for more than 2-3 months before the servers are empty.

Retailer need to get the prices down quicker so that more people will purchase the games. Once the initial R&D for a game is done, continuing to supply distributors is not that expensive. All they have to do is make up their initial development cost and then all sales are pretty much profit, so the more people who buy the game, even at a lower price, the more money you make.

Publishers are insistent of leaving the prices at $60 which hurts overall sales. All of the big publishers got it in their heads that every game has to have a budget like the AAA games and have to sell millions of copies at a high price.

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#103 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

[QUOTE="Bruce_Benzing"]

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/384922/sony-patents-pre-owned-games-block/

Sony patents pre-owned games block

Technology 'tags' games that have been used in different consoles

Sony Computer Entertainment has filed a patent for technology designed to suppress pre-owned game sales.

blue_hazy_basic

About time, this is great news for the games industry.

+1. Its just as bad as piracy. Thank you Sony for looking out for us.

Its actually worse then piracy. Used game sale take money of of the industry and puts it in the hands of supermarkets, piracy does not.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#104 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts
I'm getting tired of these patent threads. People need to realize that Sony will only actually use a fraction of all the patents they file. This one I think has a close to zero chance of being used in the way this thread implies. Sony needs Gamestop and other retailers to sell their console and provide a lot of the marketing for it.
FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

The tough part being a game developer is making good games for the consumer and that has been very hard lately with budgets going over 10 million. It's even harder to sell millions to break even. I would support the developer if they actually make a good game and bug free, but this is ridiculous because that means I'm giving my money to a developer that made a bad game.

I don't care if they have kids to feed, so does everyone else with a hard paying job, that's the reality. I'm tired of gamers telling everyone "it's good for the industry, because it supports developers" NO! Whats good for the industry is when developers listen to the customers, not developers doing what they want.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 Sushiglutton
[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

[QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"][QUOTE="tenaka2"]

About time, this is great news for the games industry.

+1. Its just as bad as piracy. Thank you Sony for looking out for us.

Its actually worse then piracy. Used game sale take money of of the industry and puts it in the hands of supermarkets, piracy does not.

Lol you are such an idiot. Retailers are a part of the industry as they help with the distribution and marketing of games and hardware. That they make extra money from second hand sales means that they need smaller margins on new copies sold.
fueled-system

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 fueled-system
Member since 2008 • 6529 Posts
[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

[QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"] +1. Its just as bad as piracy. Thank you Sony for looking out for us.Sushiglutton

Lol you are such an idiot. Retailers are a part of the industry as they help with the distribution and marketing of games and hardware. That they make extra money from second hand sales means that they need smaller margins on new copies sold.

Don't use logic to support your arguments.. But in all seriousness a thing like this would KILL gamestop to the point where they would close up the majority of their stores
tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 tenaka2

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

[QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"] +1. Its just as bad as piracy. Thank you Sony for looking out for us.Sushiglutton

lol idiot, you consider supermarkets to be part of the gaming industry?

I guess fish and chip shops are part of the reporting and newspaper industry as newspapers are used to wrap chips.

fadersdream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#110 fadersdream
Member since 2006 • 3154 Posts

Sequels sale better... that will change. Death to word of mouth advertising.

All this is is a move to shrink the market and make it so the big companies can crush the smaller ones.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#111 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

[QUOTE="Sushiglutton"][QUOTE="tenaka2"]

tenaka2

I guess fish and chip shops are part of the reporting and newspaper industry as newspapers are used to wrap chips.

Asda have started to deal in used games now.
Zen_Light

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 Zen_Light
Member since 2010 • 2143 Posts

Some people don't seem to realize that if there is no physical copies availabe, and no used game market, companies will raise the price of digital purchases by a lot. If there's only one option for buying a game from one source, why not charge an arm and a leg for it?

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 tenaka2

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

[QUOTE="Sushiglutton"] Lol you are such an idiot. Retailers are a part of the industry as they help with the distribution and marketing of games and hardware. That they make extra money from second hand sales means that they need smaller margins on new copies sold. clyde46

Yeah my local Asda does it.

But fear not ASDA are an essential part of the gaming industry!

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 Sushiglutton

tenaka2

*Facepalm* :lol:! They are a link in the chain. There is nothing forcing the game companies to let supermarkets sell their games. They choose to do so because the supermarkets can help them with distribution. That's how market economy works. Read a bit about economy before posting on topics like these again. But I suppose you prefer to get your "facts" from PC-pirate forums.

Valknut4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 Valknut4
Member since 2012 • 403 Posts

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

Your definition of extra money is 100% pure profit..

I would like to see what kind of cash you find between your couch cushions.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 clyde46

Some people don't seem to realize that if there is no physical copies availabe, and no used game market, companies will raise the price of digital purchases by a lot. If there's only one option for buying a game from one source, why not charge an arm and a leg for it?

Zen_Light
I'm not saying what these publishers are doing is right but its the direction they want to steer the industry in. Of course they would love a monopoly on games where they could charge what they like for games.
Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 Sushiglutton
[QUOTE="Valknut4"]

Your definition of extra money is 100% pure profit..

I would like to see what kind of cash you find between your couch cushions.

What's your point?
Ly_the_Fairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 Ly_the_Fairy
Member since 2011 • 8541 Posts

Zen_Light

Because the developers themselves have to compete for the customer's dollar.

The only way your example would exist is if there was one single distributer who controlled everything which is nowhere near happening.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 clyde46

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

[QUOTE="Sushiglutton"] Lol you are such an idiot. Retailers are a part of the industry as they help with the distribution and marketing of games and hardware. That they make extra money from second hand sales means that they need smaller margins on new copies sold. Sushiglutton

*Facepalm* :lol:! They are a link in the chain. There is nothing forcing the game companies to let supermarkets sell their games. They choose to do so because the supermarkets can help them with distribution. That's how market economy works. Read a bit about economy before posting on topics like these again. But I suppose you prefer to get your "facts" from PC-pirate forums.

You also have to know that these supermarkets have huge buying power, they can drive down the price of things they buy from the distributor and then jack up the price of said item to the consumer.
Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 Sushiglutton
[QUOTE="clyde46"][QUOTE="Sushiglutton"]

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

You also have to know that these supermarkets have huge buying power, they can drive down the price of things they buy from the distributor and then jack up the price of said item to the consumer.

So what?
clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 clyde46
[QUOTE="clyde46"][QUOTE="Sushiglutton"] *Facepalm* :lol:! They are a link in the chain. There is nothing forcing the game companies to let supermarkets sell their games. They choose to do so because the supermarkets can help them with distribution. That's how market economy works. Read a bit about economy before posting on topics like these again. But I suppose you prefer to get your "facts" from PC-pirate forums.Sushiglutton

So what?

So what? Is that your counter?
Zen_Light

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 Zen_Light

[QUOTE="Zen_Light"]

clyde46

I'm not saying what these publishers are doing is right but its the direction they want to steer the industry in. Of course they would love a monopoly on games where they could charge what they like for games.

I'm more for consumer rights than big business profitability. If these companies think they can get away with it, it's their right to do as they please, but then again it's also the consumers' right to vote with their wallets and not support such practices. If Sony actually tries such a douche move, I can easily see them becoming a totally niche gaming company.

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 tenaka2

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

[QUOTE="Sushiglutton"] Lol you are such an idiot. Retailers are a part of the industry as they help with the distribution and marketing of games and hardware. That they make extra money from second hand sales means that they need smaller margins on new copies sold. Sushiglutton

A link in the chain? You realise that that includes everything?

Games companies love supermarkets to sell *new* copies of there games, I am not so sure they enjoy supermarkets selling one copy of their game 4 times and taking all the profit for themselves.

For every 10 bucks a supermarket makes on a used game it is -10 bucks for the publisher/devs.

I know you find this confusing, but I cant think of anyway to make it simpler.

Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 Rocker6
Member since 2009 • 13358 Posts

[QUOTE="Rocker6"]

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

I just see it as them patenting things to make their investors and make publishers happy. I don't see them utilizing it.

If they do, nothing will really change. People are really overblowing this. If anything you should all be demanding that retailer actually compete for your money. This $60 standard across all retailers is just 100% bullcrap. There is no incentive to shop at one store over another right now.

Wasdie

Retailer exclusive DLC is fairly common among high profile publishers, guess that's the way to provide the incentive...

That's terrible incentive. The best incentive is price. Right now I see $60 across all retailer while online through various DD services I see hundreds of great sales with all of the major distribute rs trying to get me to purchase through them through having great deals.

It's not that games launch at $60 that is the problem, it's that many stay at $60 for far too long. Since there are a few standards that everybody always plays, new games often die out quickly as everybody just goes back to CoD and Halo after playing a new game for awhile. Games just don't last that long. Even on the PC it's rare that a non single-player title lasts for more than 2-3 months before the servers are empty.

Retailer need to get the prices down quicker so that more people will purchase the games. Once the initial R&D for a game is done, continuing to supply distributors is not that expensive. All they have to do is make up their initial development cost and then all sales are pretty much profit, so the more people who buy the game, even at a lower price, the more money you make.

Publishers are insistent of leaving the prices at $60 which hurts overall sales. All of the big publishers got it in their heads that every game has to have a budget like the AAA games and have to sell millions of copies at a high price.

Yeah, I agree, providing the consumers with the described pricing model is one of the main reasons why Steam is so succesful. Though I'd still like to see some flexibility in release prices, honestly, many games simply aren't ever worth the $60 price, and should be priced more appropriately right from the start. Take Red Faction Armageddon, for example. It's a decent shooter to kill a boring afternoon, but selling it at $60 price is a recipe for the disaster. The game simply doesn't pack anywhere near enough content to justify such a price, has no replay value whatsoever, and it obviously flopped at sales. Even the discounts couldn't save it, as gamers simply moved on. But if it was priced lower, for like, $30, it might've stood a chance...

-----

True, retailer exclusive DLC is a bad way to provide incentive, and to make things worse, some people like me don't even have any of those retailers nearby, which means we miss out on it completely. Still, publishers insist on it, which is why I brought it up. A bad thing, but it's there, and I sadly don't see it going away anytime soon...

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 Sushiglutton
[QUOTE="Sushiglutton"][QUOTE="clyde46"] You also have to know that these supermarkets have huge buying power, they can drive down the price of things they buy from the distributor and then jack up the price of said item to the consumer. clyde46
So what?

I don't understand your point. If game companies don't want to sell their games to retailers they don't have to. If the retailer is able to drive down the price it's becaue the service they provide to the game company is highly valuable.
clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 clyde46

[QUOTE="clyde46"][QUOTE="Zen_Light"]

Zen_Light

I'm more for consumer rights than big business profitability. If these companies think they can get away with it, it's their right to do as they please, but then again it's also the consumers' right to vote with their wallets and not support such practices. If Sony actually tries such a douche move, I can easily see them becoming a totally niche gaming company.

Unfortunately, this is the cross roads where consumer rights run head long into profitability. There has been massive lobbying by the entertainment industry to add massive price levies on blank media to try and gouge more money from consumers who want to back up their purchased media. Hell I remember where the industry tried to get the law changed to stop people from backing up movies they rightly purchased.
Tykain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 Tykain
Member since 2008 • 3887 Posts

[QUOTE="clyde46"][QUOTE="Bruce_Benzing"] So renting a game is a bad thing now?

Wasdie

Think of it this way, every time a game gets rented, its a lost sale.

No it's not. Rental copies cost far more to purchase and keep licensed. They get their money from rentals. You don't rent out retail copies, you get into agreements with the publisher on how the rental contracts will work.

I think this only apply for movies, there is no rental copies and agreements with publishers like there is with movies for video games. They just buy games the same way any consumer do and rent it, so devs and publishers get nothing other than just that 1 sale. It's why where i live (Belgium) the court ruled it illegal to rent video games years ago. Might be different in the US tho, but i've never heard of such agreements with publishers like the way there is with movies.
clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 clyde46
[QUOTE="clyde46"][QUOTE="Sushiglutton"] So what?Sushiglutton

I don't understand your point. If game companies don't want to sell their games to retailers they don't have to. If the retailer is able to drive down the price it's becaue the service they provide to the game company is highly valuable.

Supermarkets and retailers in general will always try to drive prices of what they buy down because they want to maximise profits. The issue comes when supermarkets drive the price down too far and the developers do not get a fair return. Its happened many times before. Lots of supermarkets have got in trouble for trying to control the price of milk and how much they pay farmers for it.
Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 Sushiglutton

Games companies love supermarkets to sell *new* copies of there games, I am not so sure they enjoy supermarkets selling one copy of their game 4 times and taking all the profit for themselves.

For every 10 bucks a supermarket makes on a used game it is -10 bucks for the publisher/devs.

tenaka2

Ofc the game company prefers if the supermarket sells a new copy instead. However you were wrong when you said that the money disappears from the industry. The profit from used game sales is part of the equation when retailers negotiate with the game companies. Since they can make extra money on the side they will, all other things equal, demand less margin on the new copies sold.

For every 10 bucks a supermarket makes on a used game it is -10 bucks for the publisher/devs.tenaka2
Really now :lol: ???? You are dumber than I thought.

Zen_Light

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 Zen_Light

[QUOTE="Zen_Light"]

[QUOTE="clyde46"] I'm not saying what these publishers are doing is right but its the direction they want to steer the industry in. Of course they would love a monopoly on games where they could charge what they like for games. clyde46

Unfortunately, this is the cross roads where consumer rights run head long into profitability. There has been massive lobbying by the entertainment industry to add massive price levies on blank media to try and gouge more money from consumers who want to back up their purchased media. Hell I remember where the industry tried to get the law changed to stop people from backing up movies they rightly purchased.

I guess as long as there are people who believe anything corporations tell them, there will always be profit in screwing people over. I can't help but scowl when I see these PC gamers saying that no used games are "good for the industry", when they really know it's just good for PC gaming only and it will virtually put consoles out of business.

GrayF0X786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#131 GrayF0X786
Member since 2012 • 4185 Posts

if true then fvck you Sony.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 clyde46

[QUOTE="clyde46"][QUOTE="Zen_Light"]I'm more for consumer rights than big business profitability. If these companies think they can get away with it, it's their right to do as they please, but then again it's also the consumers' right to vote with their wallets and not support such practices. If Sony actually tries such a douche move, I can easily see them becoming a totally niche gaming company.

Zen_Light

I guess as long as there are people who believe anything corporations tell them, there will always be profit in screwing people over. I can't help but scowl when I see these PC gamers saying that no used games are "good for the industry", when they really know it's just good for PC gaming only and it will virtually put consoles out of business.

No used games is bad for the industry. The problem we have here is that the publishers want to try and control that revenue stream, they want to tap into that market where they currently get nothing from. A game could be sold 6-7 times over after the original point of sale, meaning the publisher has missed out on 7 lots of sales. This pisses them off. As for PC gamers, we need used game sales for consoles. If they're not used games then we will lose these fantastic prices we currently enjoy as publishers will start to control the price points of games.
Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 Rocker6

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

Sushiglutton

Ofc the game company prefers if the supermarket sells a new copy instead. However you were wrong when you said that the money disappears from the industry. The profit from used game sales is part of the equation when retailers negotiate with the game companies. Since they can make extra money on the side they will, all other things equal, demand less margin on the new copies sold.

That's a good point, it should work in theory, but I wonder, does it apply to reality?

Out of curiosity, I'd really like to see some proof of successful used-game retailers decreasing these margins for new copies...

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 Sushiglutton
[QUOTE="Sushiglutton"][QUOTE="clyde46"] So what? Is that your counter?clyde46

Supermarkets and retailers in general will always try to drive prices of what they buy down because they want to maximise profits. The issue comes when supermarkets drive the price down too far and the developers do not get a fair return. Its happened many times before. Lots of supermarkets have got in trouble for trying to control the price of milk and how much they pay farmers for it.

In general it's not good for the supermarkets if they push their distributors out of business either ofc. And yeah negotiations can be tough. Thing is though that the producers need a way to get their product to the customer. This is paid for by giving away margin to the supermarket, but this is a choice the producer makes. In the short runs retailers may push some producers out of business. But this leads to new, more efficient, producers emerges.
Ly_the_Fairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 Ly_the_Fairy

[QUOTE="Zen_Light"]

[QUOTE="clyde46"] Unfortunately, this is the cross roads where consumer rights run head long into profitability. There has been massive lobbying by the entertainment industry to add massive price levies on blank media to try and gouge more money from consumers who want to back up their purchased media. Hell I remember where the industry tried to get the law changed to stop people from backing up movies they rightly purchased. clyde46

No used games is bad for the industry. The problem we have here is that the publishers want to try and control that revenue stream, they want to tap into that market where they currently get nothing from. A game could be sold 6-7 times over after the original point of sale, meaning the publisher has missed out on 7 lots of sales. This pisses them off. As for PC gamers, we need used game sales for consoles. If they're not used games then we will lose these fantastic prices we currently enjoy as publishers will start to control the price points of games.

Where do you guys get the idea that if there was only digital distribution that game prices would never go down, and would actually increase in price?

Basic economics tells you otherwise.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 clyde46

[QUOTE="clyde46"][QUOTE="Zen_Light"]I guess as long as there are people who believe anything corporations tell them, there will always be profit in screwing people over. I can't help but scowl when I see these PC gamers saying that no used games are "good for the industry", when they really know it's just good for PC gaming only and it will virtually put consoles out of business.

Ly_the_Fairy

Where do you guys get the idea that if there was only digital distribution that game prices would never go down, and would actually increase in price?

Basic economics does apply but it doesnt take into account the greed of publishers.
blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#137 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts
[QUOTE="clyde46"][QUOTE="blackace"][QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"]Rentals in movies are part of a chain of revenue stream and has always been such. There's no equivalent in the gaming industry. Movies: Cinema-rental-DVD-TV Gaming: play and done.

That's up to the gaming industry to create their own "chain of revenue stream". No reason why they can't create their own Gamefly type company and rent out their older games to consumers for a profit. The problem is the gaming industry wants profits and turnarounds quickly. They don't want to invest money and take risks on creating a business that would give them their own "chain of revenue stream". Hurting the consumers by trying to take away their used games market isn't the right approach. DD is a good start for the gaming industry. They need to expand that market. EA has the right idea with Origins, but other companies will need to do the same thing or work together and make their own STEAM business.

You think the game industry is any different from Hollywood? They don't care about the consumer, just as long as the shareholder is happy.

They'll care when consumers stop buying their products, their stocks tank and shareholder pull their money. I bet they will care then.
Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 Sushiglutton
[QUOTE="clyde46"][QUOTE="Ly_the_Fairy"]

No used games is bad for the industry. The problem we have here is that the publishers want to try and control that revenue stream, they want to tap into that market where they currently get nothing from. A game could be sold 6-7 times over after the original point of sale, meaning the publisher has missed out on 7 lots of sales. This pisses them off. As for PC gamers, we need used game sales for consoles. If they're not used games then we will lose these fantastic prices we currently enjoy as publishers will start to control the price points of games.clyde46

Basic economics does apply but it doesnt take into account the greed of publishers.

Actually that's exactly what it does :). Most models assume that everyone is greedy.
Ly_the_Fairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 Ly_the_Fairy

[QUOTE="Ly_the_Fairy"]

[QUOTE="clyde46"] No used games is bad for the industry. The problem we have here is that the publishers want to try and control that revenue stream, they want to tap into that market where they currently get nothing from. A game could be sold 6-7 times over after the original point of sale, meaning the publisher has missed out on 7 lots of sales. This pisses them off. As for PC gamers, we need used game sales for consoles. If they're not used games then we will lose these fantastic prices we currently enjoy as publishers will start to control the price points of games.clyde46

And that means what?

All the publishers are competing with each other.

If Activision wants to charge $60 for CoD then EA will charge less for Battlefield. If Battlefield starts selling a lot more copies than CoD then Activision would drop the price of CoD.

It has no bearing on how a game is distributed. Supply and demand rules over all pricing.

Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 Rocker6

[QUOTE="Ly_the_Fairy"]

[QUOTE="clyde46"] No used games is bad for the industry. The problem we have here is that the publishers want to try and control that revenue stream, they want to tap into that market where they currently get nothing from. A game could be sold 6-7 times over after the original point of sale, meaning the publisher has missed out on 7 lots of sales. This pisses them off. As for PC gamers, we need used game sales for consoles. If they're not used games then we will lose these fantastic prices we currently enjoy as publishers will start to control the price points of games.clyde46

Hm, yeah, guess it's always possible for them to play the "server maintenance" card, or something of a kind. After all, they wish to maximize their profits, but the problem is, they often go in the wrong direction.

The current "AAA game" model of huge development and advertisment costs that needs millions of copies sold just to break even is unsustainable, for example...

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 clyde46
Why do I get the feeling I'm in for one hell of schooling in economics....
The_Game21x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#142 The_Game21x
Member since 2005 • 26440 Posts

It begins...

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 Sushiglutton
[QUOTE="Rocker6"]

[QUOTE="Sushiglutton"]

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

That's a good point, it should work in theory, but I wonder, does it apply to reality?

Out of curiosity, I'd really like to see some proof of successful used-game retailers decreasing these margins for new copies...

I only like theory :lol:! But about your second sentence: it doesn't happen like that. I mean used games have been around for ages. It's not like a retailer will renegotiate their terms etc. It has more to do with game theory equillibrium solutions.
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#144 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41534 Posts
[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

[QUOTE="Sushiglutton"] Lol you are such an idiot. Retailers are a part of the industry as they help with the distribution and marketing of games and hardware. That they make extra money from second hand sales means that they need smaller margins on new copies sold. clyde46

Makes sense considering Wal-Mart in the US was doing the same for quite sometime.
Zen_Light

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 Zen_Light

[QUOTE="clyde46"][QUOTE="Ly_the_Fairy"]

Ly_the_Fairy

And that means what?

All the publishers are competing with each other.

If Activision wants to charge $60 for CoD then EA will charge less for Battlefield. If Battlefield starts selling a lot more copies than CoD then Activision would drop the price of CoD.

It has no bearing on how a game is distributed. Supply and demand rules over all pricing.

We're talking about the console company business structure here, not an open platform service like steam, but stores like PSN and XBL. Notice that thier prices are almost always set in stone at the highest level as opposed to retail prices/amazon prices for retail games. Now take away any retail competition and you'd have those stores (the only way to get those games) at very inflated prices. What's to stop them from selling their exclusives for upwards of $100 per purchase?

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 clyde46
[QUOTE="clyde46"][QUOTE="tenaka2"]

nintendoboy16

Makes sense considering Wal-Mart in the US was doing the same for quite sometime.

Wal-mart own Asda.
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#147 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41534 Posts
[QUOTE="clyde46"][QUOTE="nintendoboy16"][QUOTE="clyde46"] Asda have started to deal in used games now.

Wal-mart own Asda.

Exactly why I said that. :|
clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 clyde46
[QUOTE="clyde46"][QUOTE="nintendoboy16"]Makes sense considering Wal-Mart in the US was doing the same for quite sometime.nintendoboy16
Wal-mart own Asda.

Exactly why I said that. :|

Oh, I misread your post.
tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 tenaka2

Sushiglutton

Except of course that you just made this up.

Unless you actually think that retailers that dont deal in sloppy seconds get the games cheaper then those that do? lol moron.

Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 Rocker6

[QUOTE="Rocker6"]

Sushiglutton

I only like theory :lol:! But about your second sentence: it doesn't happen like that. I mean used games have been around for ages. It's not like a retailer will renegotiate their terms etc. It has more to do with game theory equillibrium solutions.

You have me at a disadvantage here! :P