Sony Studios' VP Doesn't Know Borderlands Is Out on Vita

• 50 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Because this is how much Sony actually gives a **** about Vita! Their biggest release for the system in ages (putting aside the fact that the Vita's biggest release in ages is a poorly done port of a two year old game), and the Vice President of their games division doesn't even know that it's out.

Michael Denny, vice president of Sony Worldwide Studios Europe, met with us at Gamescom and during our interview we discussed PlayStation Vita, the handheld console that got hardly any love during Sony's press event.

"For us Vita's still the best handheld dedicated gaming device out there. If you want quality handheld gaming, the Vita's for you, and there's a large array of content already out there for it, and more digital content that's coming. I mean Borderlands 2 is still to come to the platform..."

We didn't want to be the ones to break it to him that the game is already out, so we let him continue.

Someone then pointed this out to Yoshida. It must have been an egg on face moment for him:

Soon, I'll be at a point where Sony's continued transgressions against Vita will fail to have any effect on me. Soon.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 freedomfreak  Online
Member since 2004 • 52427 Posts

That's pretty bad.

Sony is so done with that thing.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3  Edited By bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

lol that is so bad. Its getting to the heartbreaking phase. Poor vita never stood a chance from the start.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45110 Posts

not exactly news or topic worth, but ok...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@SolidGame_basic said:

Sure it is. A company not caring for its own system, and essentially leaving it out to die is plenty news worthy.

This is just the latest episode in that series.

MrYaotubo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 MrYaotubo
Member since 2012 • 2884 Posts

Not even sony cares about the vita anymore,what a massive failure this console is.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

He's far too busy to concern himself with that trash. :p

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

Wow. That's really quite embarrassing.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SolidGame_basic  Online

@charizard1605 said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

Sure it is. A company not caring for its own system, and essentially leaving it out to die is plenty news worthy.

a company? I love how you spin things lol. in your last thread you said Sony won't be showcasing any Vita games. How do you know that? did they make a statement? now you're saying the entire company doesn't know about Borderlands 2 vita release date. it would be a lot more shameful if it was Shahid saying that. but quoting some Sony VP in Europe who's immediate focus and scope isn't Vita doesn't really mean much. you seem to be blaming Sony a lot for the Vita. people didn't buy the Vita and aren't buying it. Sony brought a ton of first party IPs and did get activision, ubisoft, and ea to at least put theirs on the console too for the first year. people just didn't show up.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@SolidGame_basic said:

@charizard1605 said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

a company? I love how you spin things lol. in your last thread you said Sony won't be showcasing any Vita games. How do you know that? did they make a statement? now you're saying the entire company doesn't know about Borderlands 2 vita release date. it would be a lot more shameful if it was Shahid saying that. but quoting some Sony VP in Europe who's immediate focus and scope isn't Vita doesn't really mean much. you seem to be blaming Sony a lot for the Vita. people didn't buy the Vita and aren't buying it. Sony brought a ton of first party IPs and did get activision, ubisoft, and ea to at least put theirs on the console too for the first year. people just didn't show up.

This guy is the VP of Sony Worldwide Studios. He handles Sony's games. He's not some dude who's in charge of all of Sony's electronics or TVs, he is a VP of their games division.

Stop damage controlling, stop making excuses like a corporate apologist, and most of all, actually read the OP and know what you are talking about before making a reply.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#11  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

They've probably realized at this point that the reason it failed was because they tried to make it a portable PS3 instead of a proper handheld. At least the PSP had games one could play in short bursts.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@foxhound_fox said:

They've probably realized at this point that the reason it failed was because they tried to make it a portable PS3 instead of a proper handheld. At least the PSP had games one could play in short bursts.

That's not the reason at all (and if we are talking about games you can play in short bursts, then the Vita has more such games than PSP or even the 3DS thanks to indie games). The Vita failed because Sony failed to commit to it, failed to bring its own distinct games to it, failed to advertise it, and failed to build its identity.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SolidGame_basic  Online

@charizard1605 said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

@charizard1605 said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

This guy is the VP of Sony Worldwide Studios. He handles Sony's games. He's not some dude who's in charge of all of Sony's electronics or TVs, he is a VP of their games division.

Stop damage controlling, stop making excuses like a corporate apologist, and most of all, actually read the OP and know what you are talking about before making a reply.

Sony Worldwide Studios - EUROPE. now explain to me his role and scope with Vita and logically explain to me why we should care that he doesn't know about the Borderlands 2 Vita release date especially when a) Vita is just not a hot item b) Borderlands 2 isn't exactly a hot title c) PS4 is by far the biggest focus for their ailing company

Then, go back and explain exactly what Sony said about Vita games at TGS. I'm talking official statements. Not putting any spin.
And lastly, there's nothing to apologize for Vita. People didn't buy it. It's doing remotely well in Japan. You're telling me we won't see anything Vita related at TGS? Not just the presentation, but the convention itself?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178845 Posts

Eh not really a big deal. I doubt he knows when most games are released.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SolidGame_basic  Online

Dude, I've had both the Vita and 3DS since launch. Telling me Sony didn't support the Vita is laughable. Also, what Western support does 3DS have? Why doesn't Nintendo try to get Western support on board for 3DS?

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#16 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

@foxhound_fox: This whole handheld game and short burst thing is kinda ridiculous. Sleep mode exists on these systems. The DS, 3DS, PSP, and Vita all have their share of more cinematic games with longer missions and as Char said, the Vita arguably has more.

It's an argument using buzzwords and less logic.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17  Edited By Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: Sony doesn't support the Vita man. That's plain and simple.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@SolidGame_basic said:

@charizard1605 said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

@charizard1605 said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

Sony Worldwide Studios - EUROPE. now explain to me his role and scope with Vita and logically explain to me why we should care that he doesn't know about the Borderlands 2 Vita release date especially when a) Vita is just not a hot item b) Borderlands 2 isn't exactly a hot title c) PS4 is by far the biggest focus for their ailing company

Then, go back and explain exactly what Sony said about Vita games at TGS. I'm talking official statements. Not putting any spin.

And lastly, there's nothing to apologize for Vita. People didn't buy it. It's doing remotely well in Japan. You're telling me we won't see anything Vita related at TGS? Not just the presentation, but the convention itself?

Well, for starters, Sony Worldwide Studios ported Borderlands to the Vita. So that's one reason. Secondly, Borderlands 2 was positioned as a flagship title and the biggest game Vita has had in a while (going so far as to bundling it and launching a new model right alongside it). So that's the second one/

Lastly, amusingly enough, you keep bringing TGS into this, whereas that has nothing to do with this thread, but I am saying we won't see any original titles for Vita (we might see PS3/PS Vita or PS4/PS Vita multiplats) from Sony at TGS, yes.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12063 Posts

TC what is a Vita?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@SolidGame_basic said:

Dude, I've had both the Vita and 3DS since launch. Telling me Sony didn't support the Vita is laughable. Also, what Western support does 3DS have? Why doesn't Nintendo try to get Western support on board for 3DS?

Sony doesn't support the Vita. I don't care if you disagree, but the facts are laid out there. You can enjoy your Vita and still accept the facts, you know.

Nintendo doesn't get western support for 3DS because Nintendo is not stupid enough to try. Western support on handhelds is a lost cause, the idea itself is laughable, PSP and DS, with their unprecedented sales performances, barely managed it, you think the 3DS and Vita, which are selling at a third and an eighth of the rate of their predecessors respectively, will?

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#21 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@Blabadon said:

@foxhound_fox: This whole handheld game and short burst thing is kinda ridiculous. Sleep mode exists on these systems. The DS, 3DS, PSP, and Vita all have their share of more cinematic games with longer missions and as Char said, the Vita arguably has more.

It's an argument using buzzwords and less logic.

My experience with handheld gaming was always short bursts. If I wanted to play a game for more than an hour at a time, I had a console to do that with at home. The best games to play on the go are usually score-based, and have short periods of interaction and high levels of replayability.

So, something that isn't a 100+ hour JRPG. The whole concept that you can play console-like games on-the-go is why the Vita didn't succeed. Look at mobile gaming's popularity. People open their favourite game app for 5 minute intervals, do a couple things, then close it and move onto whatever other task they have at hand.

Tell me then, why the Vita didn't succeed if people truly want console-like experiences on the go?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@foxhound_fox said:

My experience with handheld gaming was always short bursts. If I wanted to play a game for more than an hour at a time, I had a console to do that with at home. The best games to play on the go are usually score-based, and have short periods of interaction and high levels of replayability.

So, something that isn't a 100+ hour JRPG. The whole concept that you can play console-like games on-the-go is why the Vita didn't succeed. Look at mobile gaming's popularity. People open their favourite game app for 5 minute intervals, do a couple things, then close it and move onto whatever other task they have at hand.

Tell me then, why the Vita didn't succeed if people truly want console-like experiences on the go?

Because:

@charizard1605 said:

That's not the reason at all (and if we are talking about games you can play in short bursts, then the Vita has more such games than PSP or even the 3DS thanks to indie games). The Vita failed because Sony failed to commit to it, failed to bring its own distinct games to it, failed to advertise it, and failed to build its identity.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SolidGame_basic  Online

@charizard1605: again, your lack of specifics and facts really show how weak your argument is. the 3DS sold 11+ million units its first year, the Vita has yet to reach that after 2.5 years. and you expect Sony to just keep plunging financially because people decided not to buy it.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11796 Posts

Vita at this point is nothing more than some accessory to make the PS4 a wannabe Wii U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@SolidGame_basic said:

@charizard1605: again, your lack of specifics and facts really show how weak your argument is. the 3DS sold 11+ million units its first year, the Vita has yet to reach that after 2.5 years. and you expect Sony to just keep plunging financially because people decided not to buy it.

Yes. That is what a first party does.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

That's a pretty silly goof on that European Sony VP's part.

Caseytappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Caseytappy
Member since 2005 • 2199 Posts

Even more silly is that people are actually damage controlling it .

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 SolidGame_basic  Online

@charizard1605 said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

maybe if you're Nintendo and have a ton of change to spare. but that doesn't seem to be working for Wii U - is it? meanwhile PS4 is tearin' it up with anything but. and they're porting games too.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@SolidGame_basic said:

@charizard1605 said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

maybe if you're Nintendo and have a ton of change to spare. but that doesn't seem to be working for Wii U - is it? meanwhile PS4 is tearin' it up with anything but. and they're porting games too.

Sony actually has the biggest first party of the three, they have more studios than Nintendo.

So...

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

Unless the third season of Walking Dead comes to PSV, I'll be done with the system after season 2 releases on it this Oct.

RIP Vita - 2012-2014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Telekill said:

Unless the third season of Walking Dead comes to PSV, I'll be done with the system after season 2 releases on it this Oct.

RIP Vita - 2012-2014

Aren't episodes from Season 2 already available on it?

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts

Western support on handhelds is a lost cause

Yup

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

@charizard1605: Yes, but I'm waiting till all episodes are available in physical form.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Telekill said:

@charizard1605: Yes, but I'm waiting till all episodes are available in physical form.

Ah, alright.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

its really sad because the tech inside the vita is great and i'd buy one if it received at least as many 'acceptable' titles the 3ds is getting.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#36 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

LOL Vita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@silversix_ said:

its really sad because the tech inside the vita is great and i'd buy one if it received at least as many 'acceptable' titles the 3ds is getting.

Then just buy a 3DS -_-

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Oh for the love of god...

Avatar image for ninjapirate2000
ninjapirate2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ninjapirate2000
Member since 2008 • 3347 Posts

lol **** man. That vita slim purchase is looking worse and worse for me. I'll hold on to it for a just a little bit more I guess.

I really thought I was gonna like Dragon's Crown from PS+ but I'm just not digging it.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts
@freedomfreak said:

That's pretty bad.

Sony is so done with that thing.

They launched the PSVita bundled with Borderlands 2. How the hell did they forget about that so quickly? It sucks that we may never see any new IP for this thing. Nothing but Indie for the rest of the Vita's life.

LordQuorthon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 LordQuorthon
Member since 2008 • 5803 Posts

For gamers, by gamers. SDC. TYS.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#43  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

vita is such a wonderful piece of kit.

what a shame
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#44  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

vita is such a wonderful piece of kit.

what a shame

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#45 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts

To be fair, I wouldn't want to remember borderlands 2 vita either....:p

But yeah, the only games the vita will get now are indies and japanese games. If you don't like those two types of games, then you may want to consider if your vita is worth keeping.

PhazonBlazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#46 PhazonBlazer
Member since 2007 • 12013 Posts

Vita(lol)

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

@silversix_ said:

i'll buy it if it got as much quality experiences that they PSP had.

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts

You know what's funny. I bought a bl2 vita bundle. When I went to get it I actually had to fight with GameStop clerk. He swore it wasn't out yet. Then when I made him check he thought they got it early and checked system if it was on to sell and not breaking street date.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178845 Posts

@bbkkristian said:

To be fair, I wouldn't want to remember borderlands 2 vita either....:p

But yeah, the only games the vita will get now are indies and japanese games. If you don't like those two types of games, then you may want to consider if your vita is worth keeping.

Man every console is worth keeping...that includes handhelds.

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By AcidTango
Member since 2013 • 3223 Posts

LOL