Sony Studios' VP Doesn't Know Borderlands Is Out on Vita

• 50 results
#1 Edited by charizard1605 (58291 posts) -

Because this is how much Sony actually gives a fuck about Vita! Their biggest release for the system in ages (putting aside the fact that the Vita's biggest release in ages is a poorly done port of a two year old game), and the Vice President of their games division doesn't even know that it's out.

Michael Denny, vice president of Sony Worldwide Studios Europe, met with us at Gamescom and during our interview we discussed PlayStation Vita, the handheld console that got hardly any love during Sony's press event.

"For us Vita's still the best handheld dedicated gaming device out there. If you want quality handheld gaming, the Vita's for you, and there's a large array of content already out there for it, and more digital content that's coming. I mean Borderlands 2 is still to come to the platform..."

We didn't want to be the ones to break it to him that the game is already out, so we let him continue.

Someone then pointed this out to Yoshida. It must have been an egg on face moment for him:

Soon, I'll be at a point where Sony's continued transgressions against Vita will fail to have any effect on me. Soon.

#2 Posted by freedomfreak (41019 posts) -

That's pretty bad.

Sony is so done with that thing.

#3 Edited by bunchanumbers (1417 posts) -

lol that is so bad. Its getting to the heartbreaking phase. Poor vita never stood a chance from the start.

#4 Edited by SolidGame_basic (17972 posts) -

not exactly news or topic worth, but ok...

#5 Posted by charizard1605 (58291 posts) -

@SolidGame_basic said:

Sure it is. A company not caring for its own system, and essentially leaving it out to die is plenty news worthy.

This is just the latest episode in that series.

#6 Posted by MrYaotubo (2709 posts) -

Not even sony cares about the vita anymore,what a massive failure this console is.

#7 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (13745 posts) -

He's far too busy to concern himself with that trash. :p

#8 Posted by trugs26 (5589 posts) -

Wow. That's really quite embarrassing.

#9 Posted by SolidGame_basic (17972 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

Sure it is. A company not caring for its own system, and essentially leaving it out to die is plenty news worthy.

a company? I love how you spin things lol. in your last thread you said Sony won't be showcasing any Vita games. How do you know that? did they make a statement? now you're saying the entire company doesn't know about Borderlands 2 vita release date. it would be a lot more shameful if it was Shahid saying that. but quoting some Sony VP in Europe who's immediate focus and scope isn't Vita doesn't really mean much. you seem to be blaming Sony a lot for the Vita. people didn't buy the Vita and aren't buying it. Sony brought a ton of first party IPs and did get activision, ubisoft, and ea to at least put theirs on the console too for the first year. people just didn't show up.

#10 Edited by charizard1605 (58291 posts) -

@SolidGame_basic said:

@charizard1605 said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

a company? I love how you spin things lol. in your last thread you said Sony won't be showcasing any Vita games. How do you know that? did they make a statement? now you're saying the entire company doesn't know about Borderlands 2 vita release date. it would be a lot more shameful if it was Shahid saying that. but quoting some Sony VP in Europe who's immediate focus and scope isn't Vita doesn't really mean much. you seem to be blaming Sony a lot for the Vita. people didn't buy the Vita and aren't buying it. Sony brought a ton of first party IPs and did get activision, ubisoft, and ea to at least put theirs on the console too for the first year. people just didn't show up.

This guy is the VP of Sony Worldwide Studios. He handles Sony's games. He's not some dude who's in charge of all of Sony's electronics or TVs, he is a VP of their games division.

Stop damage controlling, stop making excuses like a corporate apologist, and most of all, actually read the OP and know what you are talking about before making a reply.

#11 Edited by foxhound_fox (88776 posts) -

They've probably realized at this point that the reason it failed was because they tried to make it a portable PS3 instead of a proper handheld. At least the PSP had games one could play in short bursts.

#12 Posted by charizard1605 (58291 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

They've probably realized at this point that the reason it failed was because they tried to make it a portable PS3 instead of a proper handheld. At least the PSP had games one could play in short bursts.

That's not the reason at all (and if we are talking about games you can play in short bursts, then the Vita has more such games than PSP or even the 3DS thanks to indie games). The Vita failed because Sony failed to commit to it, failed to bring its own distinct games to it, failed to advertise it, and failed to build its identity.

#13 Edited by SolidGame_basic (17972 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

@charizard1605 said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

This guy is the VP of Sony Worldwide Studios. He handles Sony's games. He's not some dude who's in charge of all of Sony's electronics or TVs, he is a VP of their games division.

Stop damage controlling, stop making excuses like a corporate apologist, and most of all, actually read the OP and know what you are talking about before making a reply.

Sony Worldwide Studios - EUROPE. now explain to me his role and scope with Vita and logically explain to me why we should care that he doesn't know about the Borderlands 2 Vita release date especially when a) Vita is just not a hot item b) Borderlands 2 isn't exactly a hot title c) PS4 is by far the biggest focus for their ailing company

Then, go back and explain exactly what Sony said about Vita games at TGS. I'm talking official statements. Not putting any spin.
And lastly, there's nothing to apologize for Vita. People didn't buy it. It's doing remotely well in Japan. You're telling me we won't see anything Vita related at TGS? Not just the presentation, but the convention itself?

#14 Posted by LJS9502_basic (151504 posts) -

Eh not really a big deal. I doubt he knows when most games are released.

#15 Posted by SolidGame_basic (17972 posts) -

Dude, I've had both the Vita and 3DS since launch. Telling me Sony didn't support the Vita is laughable. Also, what Western support does 3DS have? Why doesn't Nintendo try to get Western support on board for 3DS?

#16 Posted by Blabadon (26665 posts) -

@foxhound_fox: This whole handheld game and short burst thing is kinda ridiculous. Sleep mode exists on these systems. The DS, 3DS, PSP, and Vita all have their share of more cinematic games with longer missions and as Char said, the Vita arguably has more.

It's an argument using buzzwords and less logic.

#17 Edited by Blabadon (26665 posts) -

@SolidGame_basic: Sony doesn't support the Vita man. That's plain and simple.

#18 Edited by charizard1605 (58291 posts) -

@SolidGame_basic said:

@charizard1605 said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

@charizard1605 said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

Sony Worldwide Studios - EUROPE. now explain to me his role and scope with Vita and logically explain to me why we should care that he doesn't know about the Borderlands 2 Vita release date especially when a) Vita is just not a hot item b) Borderlands 2 isn't exactly a hot title c) PS4 is by far the biggest focus for their ailing company

Then, go back and explain exactly what Sony said about Vita games at TGS. I'm talking official statements. Not putting any spin.

And lastly, there's nothing to apologize for Vita. People didn't buy it. It's doing remotely well in Japan. You're telling me we won't see anything Vita related at TGS? Not just the presentation, but the convention itself?

Well, for starters, Sony Worldwide Studios ported Borderlands to the Vita. So that's one reason. Secondly, Borderlands 2 was positioned as a flagship title and the biggest game Vita has had in a while (going so far as to bundling it and launching a new model right alongside it). So that's the second one/

Lastly, amusingly enough, you keep bringing TGS into this, whereas that has nothing to do with this thread, but I am saying we won't see any original titles for Vita (we might see PS3/PS Vita or PS4/PS Vita multiplats) from Sony at TGS, yes.

#19 Posted by kuu2 (7373 posts) -

TC what is a Vita?

#20 Posted by charizard1605 (58291 posts) -

@SolidGame_basic said:

Dude, I've had both the Vita and 3DS since launch. Telling me Sony didn't support the Vita is laughable. Also, what Western support does 3DS have? Why doesn't Nintendo try to get Western support on board for 3DS?

Sony doesn't support the Vita. I don't care if you disagree, but the facts are laid out there. You can enjoy your Vita and still accept the facts, you know.

Nintendo doesn't get western support for 3DS because Nintendo is not stupid enough to try. Western support on handhelds is a lost cause, the idea itself is laughable, PSP and DS, with their unprecedented sales performances, barely managed it, you think the 3DS and Vita, which are selling at a third and an eighth of the rate of their predecessors respectively, will?

#21 Posted by foxhound_fox (88776 posts) -

@Blabadon said:

@foxhound_fox: This whole handheld game and short burst thing is kinda ridiculous. Sleep mode exists on these systems. The DS, 3DS, PSP, and Vita all have their share of more cinematic games with longer missions and as Char said, the Vita arguably has more.

It's an argument using buzzwords and less logic.

My experience with handheld gaming was always short bursts. If I wanted to play a game for more than an hour at a time, I had a console to do that with at home. The best games to play on the go are usually score-based, and have short periods of interaction and high levels of replayability.

So, something that isn't a 100+ hour JRPG. The whole concept that you can play console-like games on-the-go is why the Vita didn't succeed. Look at mobile gaming's popularity. People open their favourite game app for 5 minute intervals, do a couple things, then close it and move onto whatever other task they have at hand.

Tell me then, why the Vita didn't succeed if people truly want console-like experiences on the go?

#22 Edited by charizard1605 (58291 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

My experience with handheld gaming was always short bursts. If I wanted to play a game for more than an hour at a time, I had a console to do that with at home. The best games to play on the go are usually score-based, and have short periods of interaction and high levels of replayability.

So, something that isn't a 100+ hour JRPG. The whole concept that you can play console-like games on-the-go is why the Vita didn't succeed. Look at mobile gaming's popularity. People open their favourite game app for 5 minute intervals, do a couple things, then close it and move onto whatever other task they have at hand.

Tell me then, why the Vita didn't succeed if people truly want console-like experiences on the go?

Because:

@charizard1605 said:

That's not the reason at all (and if we are talking about games you can play in short bursts, then the Vita has more such games than PSP or even the 3DS thanks to indie games). The Vita failed because Sony failed to commit to it, failed to bring its own distinct games to it, failed to advertise it, and failed to build its identity.

#23 Posted by SolidGame_basic (17972 posts) -

@charizard1605: again, your lack of specifics and facts really show how weak your argument is. the 3DS sold 11+ million units its first year, the Vita has yet to reach that after 2.5 years. and you expect Sony to just keep plunging financially because people decided not to buy it.

#24 Posted by NoodleFighter (7088 posts) -

Vita at this point is nothing more than some accessory to make the PS4 a wannabe Wii U

#25 Posted by charizard1605 (58291 posts) -

@SolidGame_basic said:

@charizard1605: again, your lack of specifics and facts really show how weak your argument is. the 3DS sold 11+ million units its first year, the Vita has yet to reach that after 2.5 years. and you expect Sony to just keep plunging financially because people decided not to buy it.

Yes. That is what a first party does.

#26 Edited by SolidTy (43855 posts) -

That's a pretty silly goof on that European Sony VP's part.

#27 Posted by Caseytappy (2149 posts) -

Even more silly is that people are actually damage controlling it .

#28 Posted by SolidGame_basic (17972 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

maybe if you're Nintendo and have a ton of change to spare. but that doesn't seem to be working for Wii U - is it? meanwhile PS4 is tearin' it up with anything but. and they're porting games too.

#29 Posted by charizard1605 (58291 posts) -

@SolidGame_basic said:

@charizard1605 said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

maybe if you're Nintendo and have a ton of change to spare. but that doesn't seem to be working for Wii U - is it? meanwhile PS4 is tearin' it up with anything but. and they're porting games too.

Sony actually has the biggest first party of the three, they have more studios than Nintendo.

So...

#30 Posted by Telekill (4721 posts) -

Unless the third season of Walking Dead comes to PSV, I'll be done with the system after season 2 releases on it this Oct.

RIP Vita - 2012-2014

#31 Edited by charizard1605 (58291 posts) -

@Telekill said:

Unless the third season of Walking Dead comes to PSV, I'll be done with the system after season 2 releases on it this Oct.

RIP Vita - 2012-2014

Aren't episodes from Season 2 already available on it?

#32 Posted by Heil68 (45224 posts) -

Western support on handhelds is a lost cause

Yup

#33 Posted by Telekill (4721 posts) -

@charizard1605: Yes, but I'm waiting till all episodes are available in physical form.

#34 Posted by charizard1605 (58291 posts) -

@Telekill said:

@charizard1605: Yes, but I'm waiting till all episodes are available in physical form.

Ah, alright.

#35 Posted by silversix_ (14810 posts) -

its really sad because the tech inside the vita is great and i'd buy one if it received at least as many 'acceptable' titles the 3ds is getting.

#36 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (8214 posts) -

LOL Vita

#37 Edited by charizard1605 (58291 posts) -

@silversix_ said:

its really sad because the tech inside the vita is great and i'd buy one if it received at least as many 'acceptable' titles the 3ds is getting.

Then just buy a 3DS -_-

#38 Posted by lostrib (37786 posts) -

Oh for the love of god...

#39 Posted by ninjapirate2000 (3062 posts) -

lol fuck man. That vita slim purchase is looking worse and worse for me. I'll hold on to it for a just a little bit more I guess.

I really thought I was gonna like Dragon's Crown from PS+ but I'm just not digging it.

#40 Edited by blackace (20890 posts) -
@freedomfreak said:

That's pretty bad.

Sony is so done with that thing.

They launched the PSVita bundled with Borderlands 2. How the hell did they forget about that so quickly? It sucks that we may never see any new IP for this thing. Nothing but Indie for the rest of the Vita's life.

#41 Posted by farrell2k (6378 posts) -

@Caseytappy said:

Even more silly is that people are actually damage controlling it .

Jesus Christ, does it really matter? He's the vp of the company. The people under him handle everything. None of these higher management people know specifics on shit like this. They are prepped for these interview and most times even given questions in advance.

#42 Posted by LordQuorthon (5350 posts) -

For gamers, by gamers. SDC. TYS.

#43 Edited by KBFloYd (13845 posts) -

vita is such a wonderful piece of kit.

what a shame
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

#44 Edited by KBFloYd (13845 posts) -

vita is such a wonderful piece of kit.

what a shame

#45 Posted by bbkkristian (14957 posts) -

To be fair, I wouldn't want to remember borderlands 2 vita either....:p

But yeah, the only games the vita will get now are indies and japanese games. If you don't like those two types of games, then you may want to consider if your vita is worth keeping.

#46 Posted by PhazonBlazer (11921 posts) -

Vita(lol)

#47 Posted by Nengo_Flow (9860 posts) -

@silversix_ said:

i'll buy it if it got as much quality experiences that they PSP had.

#48 Posted by AutoPilotOn (8524 posts) -

You know what's funny. I bought a bl2 vita bundle. When I went to get it I actually had to fight with GameStop clerk. He swore it wasn't out yet. Then when I made him check he thought they got it early and checked system if it was on to sell and not breaking street date.

#49 Posted by LJS9502_basic (151504 posts) -

@bbkkristian said:

To be fair, I wouldn't want to remember borderlands 2 vita either....:p

But yeah, the only games the vita will get now are indies and japanese games. If you don't like those two types of games, then you may want to consider if your vita is worth keeping.

Man every console is worth keeping...that includes handhelds.

#50 Edited by AcidTango (615 posts) -

LOL