Sony makes Nintendo & Microsoft studios look like they're artistically bankrupt. The lack of talent is obvious

• 133 results
hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39248 Posts

FIRSTLY, THERE ARE ENVIRONMENTAL SPOILERS FOR RANGAROK, SO IF YOU PLAN ON PLAYING IT, COVER YOUR EYES.

I planned on making a Sony Flagship vs MS Flagship thread, but comparing a bland looking title such as Halo Infinite to Ragnarok is simply not fair, and piling in on Infinite is literally the pure definition of beating a dead horse, which i have no problems of doing (🤗), but you, the average SW lemming, you deserve a brake.

Instead, we're talking about art directions and the variety of biomes, something that Nintendo, and ESPECIALLY Microsoft, has a lot of trouble with. Lets not lie to ourselves, and see it for what it is. When it comes to artistic skills, Nintendo and MS combined are not even 50% of what Sony studios can offer in their AWARD WINNING BANGERS.

Below are my own, skillfully taken pictures of Ragnarok. Yes, they're all wallpaper worthy, expertly taken pictures to salivate for. So please relax, and enjoy admiring my professional grade screenshots. When you're done, there is only one thing to remember; unless you own a Playstation home console, you can't touch this. No matter how much you wish to have a game with this much artistic diversity, your developers do not have the skills & talent needed to offer such a beauty.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#2 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14419 Posts

No one cares.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#3 Gifford38
Member since 2020 • 7206 Posts

but but but we have forza and flight sim lmao.

but but its a walking movie game with crappy game play.

but but starfield is coming.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 KvallyX
Member since 2019 • 13037 Posts

Those shots look like they were taken from the PS3.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By hardwenzen
@speedfreak48t5p said:

No one cares.

Nice try. You're literally never posting on SW anymore (understandable, lemmings are getting demolished as of late), and the thread you "don't care about", is the one you post in.

Don't think for a single second that i am not seeing the full picture here. You hate being reminded how far behind Microsoft has fallen.

simple-facts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 simple-facts
Member since 2021 • 2592 Posts

Only one thing worse than a cow,a fake cow with an Xbox🤣

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 hardwenzen

@simple-facts said:

Only one thing worse than a cow,a fake cow with an Xbox🤣

HaH

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44316 Posts

Oh boy! 😮

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16566 Posts

What an ugly looking game, and the fact you put gow in the same sentence as halo infinite is an insult to not just halo but gamers everywhere.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By hardwenzen
@blaznwiipspman1 said:

What an ugly looking game, and the fact you put gow in the same sentence as halo infinite is an insult to not just halo but gamers everywhere.

I know it hurts seeing your games being this far behind, but the end of 2022 is the time YOU LEARN.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts
Loading Video...

Obvious spoilers but this is 1 hour of the now-infamous Ironwood part. This section is over 2 hours long. Watch it (skip) and tell me if it looks like something that belongs in a God of War game.

Skip anywhere and there's an 80% chance that you'll either find yourself in a walking section or cutscene.

That director has no clue. Cory Barlog handed him a great game that he only had to improve upon and he ruined it.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#12 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

This means nothing when I compare the emergent gameplay of something like BOTW to GoW. Look, you’re a cow. I get it. You need to hate halo.

Ragnarok isn’t that wonderful. It’s good. I like it. But no, it isn’t this god send your cow anUs likes t to be.

Halo Infinite is a 9/10. Cry about it.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts

Great thread! SONY should send some creative assets to MS and Nintendo.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 hardwenzen

@cainetao11 said:

This means nothing when I compare the emergent gameplay of something like BOTW to GoW. Look, you’re a cow. I get it. You need to hate halo.

Ragnarok isn’t that wonderful. It’s good. I like it. But no, it isn’t this god send your cow anUs likes t to be.

Halo Infinite is a 9/10. Cry about it.

Nobody is talking about gameplay.🤷‍♂️But i do understand that we must change the subject because nothing from MS can compete artistically.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 hardwenzen

@Heil68 said:

Great thread! SONY should send some creative assets to MS and Nintendo.

You think they deserve that? Maybe Nintendo, but why would it matter when their system can't run video games? Simply put, neither deserve Sony's banger assets.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 cainetao11

@hardwenzen: I don’t compare something as subjective as art. It’s pointless. I always bring it back to gameplay. It’s what this medium is.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By hardwenzen
@cainetao11 said:

@hardwenzen: I don’t compare something as subjective as art. It’s pointless. I always bring it back to gameplay. It’s what this medium is.

Good looking graphics is not subjective. Some art styles are, but not this one. There is no way a sane person would ever say that the art direction in Ragnarok is ugly, like there is no sane person would ever call the art direction in Ori being ugly. I don't believe it.

On the other hand, gameplay is VERY subjective.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8304 Posts

GOW has pretty painted backgrounds.

Too bad it's got mediocre gameplay/combat.

firedrakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 firedrakes
Member since 2004 • 4384 Posts

@speedfreak48t5p said:

No one cares.

i love that was the first reply to OG person post!!!!!

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#20 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69830 Posts

This reads like a Ghost thread.😎

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61511 Posts

Ragnarok from an artistic standpoint looks great for the most part. It falls apart everywhere else, which is a problem. This is coming from someone who sunk ~40hrs into the game and thoroughly enjoyed about 80% of it.

Avatar image for deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b
deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b
Member since 2021 • 1870 Posts

@gifford38: 'but but starfield is coming.'

They also have The Elder Scrolls VI, Fallout, Doom, Quake, Wolfebstein, Dishonored, Fable, The Outer Worlds 2, Perfect Dark and most importantly Call of Duty as exclusives.

The next 5 years will be hell on Earth for Sony fanboys.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 hardwenzen

@theam0g said:

@gifford38: 'but but starfield is coming.'

They also have The Elder Scrolls VI, Fallout, Doom, Quake, Wolfebstein, Dishonored, Fable, The Outer Worlds 2, Perfect Dark and most importantly Call of Duty as exclusives.

The next 5 years will be hell on Earth for Sony fanboys.

And who said that ES6, Perfect Dark, Next Doom and Fable are for this millennium?

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Warm_Gun
Member since 2021 • 2460 Posts

Your screenshots give me PTSD. Such an awful camera for a melee action-adventure game.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 hardwenzen

@warm_gun said:

Your screenshots give me PTSD. Such an awful camera for a melee action-adventure game.

The further the camera is, the less satisfying and brutal the combat becomes. The reason is clean why it looks like it does.

It bothered me at the beginning of gow2018. Now, i don't even notice it, its perfectly fine as is (just like RE4 is perfectly fine as it is).

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Warm_Gun
Member since 2021 • 2460 Posts

Dad of War "brutal," lol.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By hardwenzen
@warm_gun said:

Dad of War "brutal," lol.

And brutality is all it had. Its like what Ghost likes in games and movies, boom boom violence with no meat on the bone.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23718 Posts

Damn, guess Ninja Gaiden wasn't satisfying or brutal.

Loading Video...

Can definitely have a more dynamic camera and still get in there when it matters.

-

Anyways, aside from the most braindead fanboys, don't think anyone is complaining about how these games look lol. That's never the issue. Sony obviously makes great looking games. Even if the art style isn't your jam (and no wenzen, that shit is not objective), still impressive stuff either way. The craft is undoubtedly strong. It's the main selling point, they hire some of the best in the biz.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23944 Posts

@Juub1990: Holy crap, that looks so bad. Not visualwise, itis very pretty, but that looks like an absolute slog. Games like this is why I cancelled the plans for getting a 3060 card, and decided to go with a Steam Deck instead.

Was only considering a better card because mine was having some issues, but I managed to get those fixed.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By cainetao11

@hardwenzen: nope. You’re wrong. You can’t see past your own preferences. You basically admit it.

Art is always subjective to the individuals preferences.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Juub1990
@Maroxad said:

@Juub1990: Holy crap, that looks so bad. Not visualwise, itis very pretty, but that looks like an absolute slog. Games like this is why I cancelled the plans for getting a 3060 card, and decided to go with a Steam Deck instead.

Was only considering a better card because mine was having some issues, but I managed to get those fixed.

It is an absolute slog and widely considered the worst section in the entire series. I don't know wtf the dev was thinking. It just goes on and on and on. When you think it's over, you do more stuff for another hour. I wanted to blow my brains out playing through this.

The worst part is that it is 100% unskippable so subsequent playthroughs will require you to go through this. That's what these fucking game journos don't talk about. They turned a character action game into The Last of Us with a mythological twist. Just awful.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23944 Posts

@Juub1990 said:
@Maroxad said:

It is an absolute slog and widely considered the worst section in the entire series. I don't know wtf the dev was thinking. It just goes on and on and on. When you think it's over, you do more stuff for another hour. I wanted to blow my brains out playing through this.

The worst part is that it is 100% unskippable so subsequent playthroughs will require you to go through this. That's what these fucking game journos don't talk about. They turned a character action game into The Last of Us with a mythological twist. Just awful.

I remember hearing people panning the Arterus sections. And if that is anything to go by, I can see why. To think Hardwenzen tried pushing me to buy this game. Naturally I am glad I didnt listen to him, because EVERY time I see this game, the less I think of it.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Juub1990
@Maroxad said:

I remember hearing people panning the Arterus sections. And if that is anything to go by, I can see why. To think Hardwenzen tried pushing me to buy this game. Naturally I am glad I didnt listen to him, because EVERY time I see this game, the less I think of it.

I beat it out of principle. Never replaying it again.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 hardwenzen

@cainetao11 said:

@hardwenzen: nope. You’re wrong. You can’t see past your own preferences. You basically admit it.

Art is always subjective to the individuals preferences.

You're the one who's wrong. Art and gameplay can both be very subjective, and if that's the case, why even bring the subjectivity into the conversation? Some SW haters don't like the game. Millions of others do. So you can say that gameplay is subjective, but you would be the extreme minority of people who moan about Ragnarok's gameplay.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 hardwenzen

@Maroxad: After you insulted Elden Ring time and time again, i don't want you to ever even approaching Ragnarok. This game is simply too beautiful and well written for you. Stick to 2D indies please.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8437 Posts

As an individual that has had a lifelong passion for the arts, with art and design in his professional life; nothing about Ragnarok screams unique or interesting to me from an artistic level. Pretty graphics sure, but just looks like a glossy manufactured product, kinda like a Disney movie.

Kinda reminds me of those uninspired but talented kids I've run into college. Kids that can draw a tiger photorealistic yet when asked "what inspired you?" That's when there was literally no process behind it other than it looked cool. Well cool exercise I guess.

Oof85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Oof85
Member since 2021 • 78 Posts

@hardwenzen:

All that lovely art with so little interactive geometry....

I got bored of the prerendered backgrounds in the ps1 era.

Imagine, in a new Zelda all that would be playable but you're out here settling for 6x6 playable arenas and shafts/corridors/pathways.

You're so identified with Sony that you don't even want more for yourself.

Game design>> pretty midjourney tier art design.

And the sales reflect this.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23718 Posts
@oof85 said:

And the sales reflect this.

Agree with your general sentiment, even if I think people are going too hard on GoWs actual gameplay. Meeting hyperbole with equal hyperbole.

But I would never go to sales as a metric. Strong sales mostly mean mainstream appeal, strong marketing, brand recognition, etc. Plenty of great things sell like shit. Plenty of shit things sell great.

BotW sold very well and it seems Ragnarok is doing the same.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By hardwenzen
@jaydan said:

As an individual that has had a lifelong passion for the arts, with art and design in his professional life; nothing about Ragnarok screams unique or interesting to me from an artistic level. Pretty graphics sure, but just looks like a glossy manufactured product, kinda like a Disney movie.

Kinda reminds me of those uninspired but talented kids I've run into college. Kids that can draw a tiger photorealistic yet when asked "what inspired you?" That's when there was literally no process behind it other than it looked cool. Well cool exercise I guess.

Here we go again, as soon as you want to bash something, you compare it to Disney cuz Disney bad bad bad!!!

I also don't know what you're on about the visuals being that great. It looks like a sharp ps4 game, and its art direction is what makes it look above the rest. This game doesn't excell technically, and only artistically.

This is what Nintendo has released at the same time as Ragnarok. Dat Nintendo superior 1st lineup btw. I think its safe to say that Nintendo is generations behind what Sony can offer these days. No wonder you're constantly hearing Nintendo and their "we don't compete with MS/Sony", they simply can't even if they wanted to😂

And this is Sony offerings.🤷‍♂️Pretty sad tbh.

Even @BassMan is currently like WOW BRO HOLY SHIT, look at that difference!!!

Randy_Lahey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Randy_Lahey
Member since 2022 • 1803 Posts

Good thread OP. Ragnarok certainly brings in lemming tears. Meanwhile at Xbox HQ, ambassadors are panicking over the upcoming marching orders given to them.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By jaydan

@hardwenzen: What? Not sure what you're talking about in your first two paragraphs.

Just looks like a factory video game to me. Very glossy, aesthetically pleasing, game. Very plastic.

Pokemon looks like shit so not sure what your point about that is either.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By hardwenzen

You can tell that threads with screenshots clearly demonstrating Sony superiority are the ones that lems and sheep have a lot of trouble with. From now on, every Sony banger that i buy, i will create a similar thread to wake the ones in denial, and to remind them how far behind their company is when compared to Sony.

You're not ready for this. IT WILL BE VERY PAINFUL. But you will learn, learn the hard way. 2023 will be the year that you'll begin agreeing on the fact that Sony is simply superior. The faster this happens, the better you will feel. I will convert you into a Sony Professional, and there's nothing you can do about it.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 jaydan

@hardwenzen: Lol that's funny. You seem to be the one that has the most trouble with accepting not everyone has the same taste in video games as you.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 hardwenzen

@jaydan said:

@hardwenzen: Lol that's funny. You seem to be the one that has the most trouble with accepting not everyone has the same taste in video games as you.

Give me some time, and y'all will have my taste. Soon, you will be 100% TLOU2 like i did. Trust me.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56229 Posts

As someone who really enjoy God of War: Ragnarok, the visuals on PS5 were great IMO but I think the best location that has the best art style is in Asgard. Really like the setting and glad they didn't go the MCU Thor version cause I actually never like their own Asgard to begin with. Oh yeah, I gotta agree with @Juub1990 regarding Ironwood section. There have been gamers complaining about that section. I didn't sign on the pick fruit, critic art, ride yaks, and skip rocks. Total pain. Not sure who thought, "This'll be great!" when they made this game. Just so that we're all clear, I get that they are trying to build the relationship between Atreus & Angrboda but that section should have been shorter, but at least the mini-boss battle made up for the buildup but still. I don't think I'll bother replaying the game whenever they drop the NG+ unless they had skippable cutscenes.

Nintendo has good art styles on there exclusives that rivals Sony's exclusive as well, MS? Not so much.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By cainetao11

@hardwenzen: if I’m wrong then prove it.

See a fact is something like: human lungs cannot process the oxygen atom when it’s attached to a hydrogen atom in the form of water. It’s provable by submerging your head in water and attempting to breathe. The drowning process begins.

When your argument hinges on nonsense like “any sane person won’t say blah blah” you’re basically admitting your argument is wrong. You need to pigeon hole the people that may feel differently about some art than you do. But it doesn’t negate the fact that being subjective to the individual is the truth.

Now popular opinion isn’t fact. It’s still just opinion meaning the topic is subjective.

As I said earlier I like GoW. I’m not in love with it as u seem to be.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56229 Posts

@cainetao11: You tell'em Mr. J🤭

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By hardwenzen
@cainetao11 said:

@hardwenzen: if I’m wrong then prove it.

See a fact is something like: human lungs cannot process the oxygen atom when it’s attached to a hydrogen atom in the form of water. It’s provable by submerging your head in water and attempting to breathe. The drowning process begins.

When your argument hinges on nonsense like “any sane person won’t say blah blah” you’re basically admitting your argument is wrong. You need to pigeon hole the people that may feel differently about some art than you do. But it doesn’t negate the fact that being subjective to the individual is the truth.

Now popular opinion isn’t fact. It’s still just opinion meaning the topic is subjective.

As I said earlier I like GoW. I’m not in love with it as u seem to be.

Lungs, breathing under water WHAT? Bro, you sound lost.

Your argument is that the good looking art style is subjective, and that the gameplay is just ok. My argument is that the gameplay is VERY subjective. So if you're here to live in subjectivity, be my guest. And if you're, then what kind of conversation are you expecting to have with anybody on a forum, when you can literally be quoting everyone with "its just your opinion, bro"? Responding with "its subjective" or "its your opinion", is simply not wanting to have a conversation. It is what it is.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Techhog89
Member since 2015 • 5430 Posts

I immediately knew who wrote this lol.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Techhog89
Member since 2015 • 5430 Posts

@hardwenzen said:
@jaydan said:

Here we go again, as soon as you want to bash something, you compare it to Disney cuz Disney bad bad bad!!!

I also don't know what you're on about the visuals being that great. It looks like a sharp ps4 game, and its art direction is what makes it look above the rest. This game doesn't excell technically, and only artistically.

This is what Nintendo has released at the same time as Ragnarok. Dat Nintendo superior 1st lineup btw. I think its safe to say that Nintendo is generations behind what Sony can offer these days. No wonder you're constantly hearing Nintendo and their "we don't compete with MS/Sony", they simply can't even if they wanted to😂

And this is Sony offerings.🤷‍♂️Pretty sad tbh.

Even @BassMan is currently like WOW BRO HOLY SHIT, look at that difference!!!

Protip: You should show games actually made by Nintendo for these comparisons.