deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

Well there it is. A reaction to the Activision deal…

Sony Interactive Entertainment today announced a deal to acquire Bungie for $3.6 billion, the latest in a string of big-ticket consolidation deals in the games industry.

After the deal closes, Bungie will be "an independent subsidiary" of SIE run by a board of directors consisting of current CEO and chairman Pete Parsons and the rest of the studio's current management team.

Sony has said Bungie will remain a multiplatform studio, with the option "to self-publish and reach players wherever they choose to play."

At present, the studio is working on maintaining Destiny 2, expanding the Destiny franchise, and working on new IP.

"We've had a strong partnership with Bungie since the inception of the Destiny franchise, and I couldn't be more thrilled to officially welcome the studio to the PlayStation family," said SIE president and CEO Jim Ryan.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12304 Posts

I thought they couldn't afford $3.6 billion dollars. I guess people were wrong. lol

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44179 Posts

Wow. That is a fairly big surprise. Hang on to your butts folks we could be in for a bumpy ride. 😅

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20105 Posts

Thought this would be a response joke thread lol. I actually predicted this move when the Activision news broke.

I don't know how popular Destiny is right now, but if they keep making it, it should stay on all platforms.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46296 Posts

Yay, now Sony can make the Halo-killer they always wanted to make.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56108 Posts

It's not as big news as Bethesda and totally nothing big on Activision but hey, this is still a good buy. At least Sony will have Destiny as it is the discount Halo of course and Sony always wanted their own Halo game since Killzone couldn't get the job done.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46296 Posts

@Nonstop-Madness: So one company (Bungie in this case) is worth half as much as Bethesda? It feels like they are just listing prices for companies with no rhyme or reason.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts

What a shit deal compared to Zenimax. For twice as much MS got SO much more.

3.6 billion just for Bungie?

Their best Halo was Halo 3 and since then it's just been Destiny.

What a waste of money. What a lame knee jerk reaction.

daredevils2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By daredevils2k
Member since 2015 • 5001 Posts

@davillain said:

It's not as big news as Bethesda and totally nothing big on Activision but hey, this is still a good buy. At least Sony will have Destiny as it is the discount Halo of course and Sony always wanted their own Halo game since Killzone couldn't get the job done.

LOL the creators of Halo is now owned by Sony, now this is crazy times we are living. Oh sorry, no one really cares for bugged Fallout series any more, but i guess you can wait for a life time for starfield to come out.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5557 Posts

isn't that cute

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20105 Posts

The real deal would be capcom, from, square, sega, or a combination of the 4. But they're running out of that 18 billion they said they had.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By deactivated-63d2876fd4204

@davillain said:

I don’t think Destiny is discount Halo… Not anymore.

But this is nothing more than a money play. Bungie will remain multi-platform. Meaning the only thing Sony gets from this deal is the software and DLC/microtransaction revenue. So this will be another MLB The Show type deal. Aka, PS Studios making games for other platforms.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45114 Posts

🤣 wow, they took the Halo developer from Xbox

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator

@Zero_epyon said:

Thought this would be a response joke thread lol. I actually predicted this move when the Activision news broke.

I don't know how popular Destiny is right now, but if they keep making it, it should stay on all platforms.

LOL at first, I thought so to but had to go check over at Twitter and see if Shinobi602 can confirmed this and so yeah, this is all legit.

We all knew Sony was gonna buy something but Bungie is a start and I can tell you know that Destiny 2 is still going and still fairly play. But of course, Activision still kinda holds the rights to Destiny and not sure if this will fall under MS/Activision or this is still Bungie's right to Destiny. Destiny 3 has yet to be announce so its likely it'll be Sony/PC only.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By HalcyonScarlet

@daredevils2k said:
@davillain said:

LOL the creators of Halo is now owned by Sony, now this is crazy times we are living. Oh sorry, no one really cares for bugged Fallout series any more, but i guess you can wait for a life time for starfield to come out.

If you say so... Deathloop 10/10.

MysticalDonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MysticalDonut
Member since 2021 • 2504 Posts

Terrible move. This is so getting so bad for the industry.

I thought Bungie had a 10 year deal in place with Activision anyways lol? Even if it expired it’s funny they would let Sony buy them out after Activision was just acquired by MS

ZeroTheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ZeroTheHero
Member since 2021 • 1391 Posts

@Archangel3371 said:

Wow. That is a fairly big surprise. Hang on to your butts folks we could be in for a bumpy ride. 😅

bumpy ride you said this was great when microsoft bought activision bliz

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#20 Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7202 Posts

What a dumb buy. Bungie will remain multiplat. 3.6 billion for one studio? Sony is so dumb.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

LUL wuuuuuut?! And why are they so cheap???

I think this is a smart acquisition, tho.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 DaVillain  Moderator
@daredevils2k said:
@davillain said:

Jokes on you as I haven't play a Fallout game since the good old days of Vegas. So I don't really know what's happening with Fallout🤣

Like I said, not exactly a bigger news compare to Activision since MS also got Blizzard along for the process. Bungie is still a good developer so hey it's a start for Sony.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#23 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49568 Posts

This is hilarious! What a crazy turn of events to go from Microsoft to Activision to Independent to Sony.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#24 KvallyX
Member since 2019 • 12957 Posts

https://www.bungie.net/en/Explore/Detail/News/50989

FAQ: ​

Q. As a Destiny 2 player, does Bungie becoming part of PlayStation have any immediate impact on how I play and experience Destiny 2? ​

No. Our commitment to Destiny 2 as a multi-platform game with full Cross Play remains unchanged. ​We want you to play The Witch Queen on February 22, 2022, on the platform of YOUR choice. ​

Q. Will the Destiny 2 experience on non-PlayStation platforms be impacted by Bungie becoming part of PlayStation? ​No. We want to maintain the same great experience you already have on your platform of choice. ​

Q. Will any announced seasons, events, packs, or expansions be changed or impacted by Bungie becoming part of PlayStation? ​No. Bungie retains full creative independence for our games and our community. Our plans for the Light and Dark Saga are unchanged, all the way through The Final Shape in 2024. ​

Q. Will Destiny 2: The Witch Queen include any platform exclusives? ​No. The Witch Queen will not contain any platform exclusives. Every player should have an amazing Destiny experience, no matter where you choose to play ​

Q. Will cross platform features, like Cross Save, Cross Play, the Destiny 2 Companion App, or third-party apps like Destiny Item Manager (DIM) be changed or removed? ​No. Bungie’s commitment to cross-platform play and social features remains unchanged. We believe games are best shared with friends, wherever they choose to play, and will continue to invest in new features and platforms.

Q. Bungie has future games in development, will they now become PlayStation exclusives? ​No. We want the worlds we are creating to extend to anywhere people play games. We will continue to be self-published, creatively independent, and we will continue to drive one, unified Bungie community. ​

Q. I play Destiny on Steam, Xbox, or Stadia – will my platform still be supported? ​Yes.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22682 Posts

The cows must be livid at this news.... The consolidation of the industry has bothered them for days now... Nearly a month!

Sony took away a multiplat developer from gamers across the globe. It's time we burn the ship down. Gaming is dead.... At least we know all the Sony die hards will speak up and let their voices be heard at this agregious move.

daredevils2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 daredevils2k
Member since 2015 • 5001 Posts

@HalcyonScarlet said:
@daredevils2k said:
@davillain said:

If you say so... Deathloop 10/10.

OH yeah, such a good game on the PS5, that I enjoyed it so much :)

But I hope sony plays it smart and make tons of money off the lems by not keeping the games exclusive to only us Cows.

regnaston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By regnaston
Member since 2008 • 4681 Posts

Phil Spencer's response

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 HalcyonScarlet
@girlusocrazy said:

Nice that they let them remain multiplatform

Bring back Abuse

They all say that, it's so they'll have no problem during the buying process with anti monopoly I think. That's why MS said that with Bethesda. Come on, no one is paying 3.6 billion and releasing games multiplat. CoD will eventually be exclusive. MS didn't pay 68 billion for their health.

regnaston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 regnaston
Member since 2008 • 4681 Posts

Just curious.. other than Destiny what other IP's does Bungie have?

NNoyingHusband

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By NNoyingHusband
Member since 2020 • 1042 Posts

From my understanding, Destiny is done. There is no 3rd Destiny coming and no new content other than what’s already been announced coming to Destiny 2. Anyone aware of any other games Bungie is currently making? Or maybe…mother of God…maybe…they’ll task Bungie to make a new Socom, or remake some old ones…one can hope. A lot of people on Twitter saying this was a missed opportunity to buy a better studio.

ZeroTheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ZeroTheHero
Member since 2021 • 1391 Posts

Destiny 1 > Halo 4 (haven't played 5 or inf after 4 was a mess)

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45114 Posts

@TheEroica said:

The cows must be livid at this news.... The consolidation of the industry has bothered them for days now... Nearly a month!

Sony took away a multiplat developer from gamers across the globe. It's time we burn the ship down. Gaming is dead.... At least we know all the Sony die hards will speak up and let their voices be heard at this agregious move.

It's funny how you keep defending Microsoft. They literally spent almost $80 billion dollars to buy up a huge chunk of the market. What do you think Sony is going to do?

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 TheEroica  Moderator

@SolidGame_basic: the last game they made for halo franchise was Reaxh in 2010... Since then they've made only 2 games. There's an entirely different developer having wonderful success making halo games. Microsoft has lost nothing in reality.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-63d2876fd4204

@davillain: You really think I would make a response joke thread?!?! I’m hurt and insulted…

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44179 Posts

@zerothehero said:
@Archangel3371 said:

bumpy ride you said this was great when microsoft bought activision bliz

Never said the Microsoft deal was “great”. I said that it was huge and a massive bombshell in the gaming industry because it was/is. Have said that I’m not particularly fond of these big acquisitions. Also when I said get ready for a bumpy ride I meant in the sense of all these big corporations acquiring more game developers.

BlessedbyHorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 BlessedbyHorus
Member since 2010 • 189 Posts

Buh... Buh... sOnY iS bRoKe!!

HOLY SHIT! This was unexpected. I KNEW Sony was gonna respond. Yea..... Bungie is not AB yea... But still gives Sony/PS a fight in multiplayer! But man... This gen gonna be WAR.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 HalcyonScarlet
@hardwenzen said:

3.6 billion sound like WAY too much. Either that or MS underpaid for Bethesda considering all the studios and ips they got for that 7 billion.

I think Sony over paid for Bungie and MS WAY over paid for Activision. MS should have bought EA for that. That would have been worth it. And in the HIGHLY unlikely situation Fifa could have been made exclusive, that would have been a straight killer blow in Europe.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7271 Posts

I'm guessing they want Bungie to make a new "Halo/CoD killer" IP, or reboot Killzone. Otherwise this deal doesn't bring much to the table.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#41 Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7202 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: Go out of business.

NNoyingHusband

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By NNoyingHusband

@getyeryayasout: us Socom fans have been banging the drum for years. Sony has ignored us. They let Killzone die. Haze was a bust. The Resistance didn’t last. Every Sony shooter dies and Sony pretends it doesn’t exist. They just keep focusing on single players movies, that I enjoy, but it’s time to diversify your lineup.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-63d2876fd4204

@TheEroica said:

I know, right?

NNoyingHusband

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 NNoyingHusband

@judaspete: Socom, Socom, Socom, Socom, Socom, Socom

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Antwan3K
Member since 2005 • 8068 Posts

that's a nice grab by Sony, Destiny is a hugely popular IP..

Much like Microsoft, I don't see Sony pulling the game off other storefronts.. so as long as Destiny 2 continues to be an ongoing platform, like CoD Warzone, it'll remain everywhere..

but a Destiny 3 could very well be exclusive if it is ever released much like a Warzone 2 could be exclusive.. that's when things will get really interesting..

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

@HalcyonScarlet said:
@hardwenzen said:

3.6 billion sound like WAY too much. Either that or MS underpaid for Bethesda considering all the studios and ips they got for that 7 billion.

I think Sony over paid for Bungie and MS WAY over paid for Activision. MS should have bought EA for that. That would have been worth it. And in the HIGHLY unlikely situation Fifa could have been made exclusive, that would have been a straight killer blow in Europe.

Bungie are big, and their games are always successful. 3.6bil doesn't sound that much knowing their next game that they've developing for years is gonna be massive.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-63d2876fd4204

@judaspete said:

I'm guessing they want Bungie to make a new "Halo/CoD killer" IP, or reboot Killzone. Otherwise this deal doesn't bring much to the table.

It brings $$$ to the table. Destiny makes money. Now the Destiny money is Sonys money. They’ll make those few bills back in no time.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 TheEroica  Moderator

@SolidGame_basic said:
@TheEroica said:

It's funny how you keep defending Microsoft. They literally spent almost $80 billion dollars to buy up a huge chunk of the market. What do you think Sony is going to do?

Defending Microsoft? I'm hoping to be reading all the principled gamers acting out in anger that another multiplat developer has been bought up.... Aren't you mad? This same act was what everyone was filthy angry at last week... No?

Unless of course were saying it's ok for one and not the other? Or there's a "limit" to how much someone can spend on acquisition? Certainly Sony has no creative stake in the success of bungie, much like Microsoft and activitsion. We can probably agree that this is similar then?

Why aren't Sony faithful raging in anger?

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8471 Posts

How the f**k is Bungie worth 3.6 billion? What do they have apart from Destiny?

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7271 Posts

@nnoyinghusband: Ha! SOCOM could be another possibility.