Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20125 Posts

@Stevo_the_gamer said:

This is hilarious! What a crazy turn of events to go from Microsoft to Activision to Independent to Sony.

I thought they were independent the whole time. They just made exclusive deals like the way Remedy does until now.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#52 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12063 Posts

Sony needed a FPS dev so I guess that fills this spot.

This can't be their answer though to what MSoft has done. Can it?

my_user_name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#53 my_user_name
Member since 2019 • 1253 Posts

Would be cool to see them develop a new Killzone or Resistance. Can't say I'd be too excited by a new bungie IP though.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 Gifford38
Member since 2020 • 7200 Posts

@nnoyinghusband said:

From my understanding, Destiny is done. There is no 3rd Destiny coming and no new content other than what’s already been announced coming to Destiny 2. Anyone aware of any other games Bungie is currently making? Or maybe…mother of God…maybe…they’ll task Bungie to make a new Socom, or remake some old ones…one can hope. A lot of people on Twitter saying this was a missed opportunity to buy a better studio.

missed opportunity? bungie been making 9 scored games for many years now. this is great news for sony fans. i rather have bungie over blizzard anyday. but I think buying third parties is getting out of hand.

regnaston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 regnaston
Member since 2008 • 4681 Posts

@pc_rocks said:

How the f**k is Bungie worth 3.6 billion? What do they have apart from Destiny?

I was wondering the same thing.. either inflation has hit or MS got a steal with the Zenimax acquisition and all those IPs/Studios

I am NOT downplaying this acquisition but 1 IP vs MANY

Not sure how accurate this list is but I am assuming everything published during and before MS is owned by MS .. which means Bungie has 1 or possibly 2 IPs

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Bungie_video_games

SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6953 Posts

Please edit the OP. This is NOT a response to MS buying Activision.

This is a multibillion $ acquisition that takes months to negotiate, due diligence, and obtain board endorsement, etc. It was in the works well before the MS deal. The only thing it may have done was get the lawyers off their asses to finalize the terms and structure.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20125 Posts

https://www.theverge.com/22910846/sony-bungie-acquisition-playstation-destiny-halo

Bungie will continue to be a multiplatform and independent studio and publisher, and it will sit alongside the company’s PlayStation Studios developers, Jim Ryan, the president and CEO of Sony Interactive Entertainment said in a post on the PlayStation Blog. “Bungie’s world-class expertise in multi-platform development and live game services will help us deliver on our vision of expanding PlayStation to hundreds of millions of gamers,” he said.

Bungie is telling the audience flatly that its future games will not become PlayStation exclusives. “No. We want the worlds we are creating to extend to anywhere people play games. We will continue to be self-published, creatively independent, and we will continue to drive one, unified Bungie community,” writes Bungie, in an FAQ about the deal. In that FAQ, Bungie also discussed how the acquisition will affect the long-running hit Destiny 2:

There you have it. I'm ok with this now. It'd be nice if more of these acquisitions ended up like this.

Tiklandian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Tiklandian
Member since 2020 • 126 Posts

1. Who cares Desiny 2 sucks ass.

2. The games will still come to PC and like 99% of PS5 games will be better on PC.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8487 Posts

@goldenelementxl said:
@judaspete said:

I'm guessing they want Bungie to make a new "Halo/CoD killer" IP, or reboot Killzone. Otherwise this deal doesn't bring much to the table.

It brings $$$ to the table. Destiny makes money. Now the Destiny money is Sonys money. They’ll make those few bills back in no time.

Eh...don't think so. We are forgetting that it was Activision who let Bungie free from their deal early without a 3rd game. So clearly Destiny didn't meet Activision's projections. It's probably something else in the works which Sony knows about and for which they bought it.

regnaston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 regnaston
Member since 2008 • 4681 Posts

@getyeryayasout said:

Maybe we'll finally see that Oni sequel that gamers have been clamoring for for all these years.

You can't swing a dead cat without hitting someone who's demanding Oni 2 these days.

MS bought Bungie and I assume bought the rights to that IP when they did...I doubt they allowed Bungie to take it with them when they left MS

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6851 Posts

@regnaston said:

Phil Spencer's response

Saw that, too. Phil is a class act/PR genius.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#63 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49576 Posts

@Zero_epyon: Oh, I'm probably mistaken. I do recall a 10 year(?) commitment with Activision and Destiny though so maybe they were independent? Either way, fascinating turn of events.

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Antwan3K
Member since 2005 • 8156 Posts

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#65  Edited By Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10475 Posts

ms and now sony doing their bit to keep the dwindling system wars flame burning. respect

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#66 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

lol, i thought this was a riff on the other faux-news and came here to yell at you for taking advantage of me :-P

That's pretty big, I guess? I'd say it was a less valuable purchase because of the narrower scope of Bungie, but I think if anything Sony needs to expand/reclaim some competence and its foothold with action oriented FPS titles and such. So this is probably a good move for them in terms of a healthy diversity in their portfolio

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#67  Edited By KvallyX
Member since 2019 • 13025 Posts

@Antwan3K said:

that's a nice grab by Sony, Destiny is a hugely popular IP..

Much like Microsoft, I don't see Sony pulling the game off other storefronts.. so as long as Destiny 2 continues to be an ongoing platform, like CoD Warzone, it'll remain everywhere..

but a Destiny 3 could very well be exclusive if it is ever released much like a Warzone 2 could be exclusive.. that's when things will get really interesting..

All future Bungie games are confirmed multiplatform and include Xbox according to Bungie. This is announced on their site. They were also interviewed and they were asked.

Q. Bungie has future games in development, will they now become PlayStation exclusives? No. We want the worlds we are creating to extend to anywhere people play games. We will continue to be self-published, creatively independent, and we will continue to drive unified Bungie community.

caryslan2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 caryslan2
Member since 2005 • 2486 Posts

I honestly don't understand Sony's play here.

If this is meant to counter Microsoft, they kinda paid a huge chunk of change for a single studio.

What do they get besides Destiny? Does Sony get pre-Halo games like Marathon?

Also, they still have to keep Bungie's games multiplat.

I honestly am confused by Sony's move here. This seems like a large chunk of change to pay for one studio and they can't even make those games exclusive.

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 3078 Posts

@getyeryayasout: Tell me about it! Just the other day I was at the store, and some old biddy grabbed me by the arm and yelled "WHEN ARE THEY RELEASING ONI 2!!!". And I said "soon, Agitha...soon".

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By tdkmillsy
Member since 2003 • 5964 Posts

Sony getting the cheap seats

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11132 Posts

Not only did they buy them, but they didn't force them to be exclusive unlike power hungry Phil Spencer aka CEO of video games or whatever title they crowned him with.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

@pc_rocks said:

Eh...don't think so. We are forgetting that it was Activision who let Bungie free from their deal early without a 3rd game. So clearly Destiny didn't meet Activision's projections. It's probably something else in the works which Sony knows about and for which they bought it.

Destiny 2 made $300 million from microtransactions in 2019 alone. And there’s a Forbes article claiming, (without actual numbers) that 2020 was en even bigger year. I’m not saying Destiny 2 is some smashing success. But it’s usually in the Steam top 10, most played Xbox and PS games, and there’s still new content dropping.

And you’re misrepresenting the breakup with Activision.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By PC_Rocks

@Zero_epyon said:

https://www.theverge.com/22910846/sony-bungie-acquisition-playstation-destiny-halo

Bungie will continue to be a multiplatform and independent studio and publisher, and it will sit alongside the company’s PlayStation Studios developers, Jim Ryan, the president and CEO of Sony Interactive Entertainment said in a post on the PlayStation Blog. “Bungie’s world-class expertise in multi-platform development and live game services will help us deliver on our vision of expanding PlayStation to hundreds of millions of gamers,” he said.

Bungie is telling the audience flatly that its future games will not become PlayStation exclusives. “No. We want the worlds we are creating to extend to anywhere people play games. We will continue to be self-published, creatively independent, and we will continue to drive one, unified Bungie community,” writes Bungie, in an FAQ about the deal. In that FAQ, Bungie also discussed how the acquisition will affect the long-running hit Destiny 2:

There you have it. I'm ok with this now. It'd be nice if more of these acquisitions ended up like this.

I don't want to be a conspiracy theorist but let me put on my tin foil hat and be the first to say, I wouldn't be surprised if there's a mutual understanding/deal going on b/w MS and Sony on carving up the industry b/w them behind the scenes. Wouldn't be the first time that has happened or the first industry to have happened in. It's better to share the pie between them then let it be threatened by a new party (Amazon/Google/Apple etc.). Very possible while the world is distracted with this supposed 'competition', they are actually consolidating for their ecosystems.

Another thing if Bungie costed $3.6B then we can very safely assume that the price tag of Capcom etc. isn't in 5-8B range what people were hoping. We can easily double that now.

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 AcidTango
Member since 2013 • 3231 Posts

Seems like a waste to be honest, I mean I never cared for the Destiny games and Marty O'Donell no longer works there anymore. If Sony bought a major game company such as Konami or Sqaure-Enix it would be major news just like when Microsoft bought Bethesda and Activision-Blizzard. I hope Bungie makes an interesting new ip for Sony or something similar to the Halo games but we will have to wait and see in the future.

IAmTheTruth101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 IAmTheTruth101
Member since 2021 • 262 Posts

@Nonstop-Madness said:

I thought they couldn't afford $3.6 billion dollars. I guess people were wrong. lol

It's definitely a desperation buy...staying multiplatform....this was done soley to keep MS from buying them

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By tdkmillsy

@BenjaminBanklin: so they spent all that money and they won't make anything exclusive to Sony in any way.

Yup that sounds like a smart move. Honest.

IAmTheTruth101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 IAmTheTruth101
Member since 2021 • 262 Posts
@pc_rocks said:

How the f**k is Bungie worth 3.6 billion? What do they have apart from Destiny?

They aren't....Bungie wanted MS to acquire them but MS told them to **** right off because they were asking too much

3.6 billion yet Mojang was 2.5 billion and Minecraft is massively bigger than Destiny is.

Only Sony was dumb enough to pay and did so out of desperation

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 tdkmillsy

@iamthetruth101: price went up as soon as Microsoft started spending the mega bucks.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@caryslan2: well, i think the "play" is to diversify their portfolio and beef up their FPS chops which had somewhat faded away in recent memory. This could make them a lot of money... isn't that why they buy these businesses?

I think they may change their tune on the multiplat nature (as MS had done in the reverse direction) but I see a couple of reasons why they won't:

1) they are currently multiplatifying their other games, at least to the extent that they are embracing PC

2) Sony loves playing the good guy - you can find a lot of examples in the history of the console wars where Sony waited for MS to do something and then responded the opposite way. MS was a meanie and is locking some games behind their walls? Don't worry gamers, Sony is your special friend :-)

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12063 Posts

Really I am confused now. What exactly is Sony buying?

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 KvallyX

@tiklandian said:

1. Who cares Desiny 2 sucks ass.

2. The games will still come to PC and like 99% of PS5 games will be better on PC.

The games are coming to Xbox as well, which is great for all of the gaming community.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 KvallyX
@caryslan2 said:

If this is meant to counter Microsoft, they kinda paid a huge chunk of change for a single studio.

This is been in process for 5 months.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By PC_Rocks

@goldenelementxl said:
@pc_rocks said:

Destiny 2 made $300 million from microtransactions in 2019 alone. And there’s a Forbes article claiming, (without actual numbers) that 2020 was en even bigger year. I’m not saying Destiny 2 is some smashing success. But it’s usually in the Steam top 10, most played Xbox and PS games, and there’s still new content dropping.

And you’re misrepresenting the breakup with Activision.

I'm not misrepresenting the break up but actually putting the light on it as I did back then when they became independent. While it was blown away on the media and forums that Bungie took a bold step against the evil Activision by saying no to them. People forget that it was Activision who held more cards with the deal not Bungie, so it was essentially them making it happen before the 10 years and a 3rd game.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#84 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17443 Posts

Seems expensive for Bungie

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 tdkmillsy

@gifford38: they have produced destiny 1 and 2 in the last 10 years. Hardly producing 9 scoring games for years.

Moistcarrot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 Moistcarrot
Member since 2015 • 1478 Posts

But why though? Almost all of bungies talent left over a decade ago.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8277 Posts

Lmao nice, I loved Halo 1-3 the golden days of Bungie. Destiny is not my jam tho, actually hate Destiny.

I had no idea Bungie was worth that much. 3.6 bill??

Sony always failed at making an FPS at the same caliber as Halo. Maybe with Bungie they can make something happen.

Let Bungie make killzone and maybe it will finally be a great FPS 😂😂😂😂

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 3078 Posts

@getyeryayasout: 😊

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#90  Edited By Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44275 Posts

Apparently Bungie has been working on something else for awhile now. Interested on seeing what it might be.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#91 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12321 Posts

@iamthetruth101: Regardless of the reasoning, they just dropped nearly $4B on a single studio and confirmed they aren't done with acquisitions. That should end all of the nonsense around how Sony / PlayStation can't afford to spend billions. They just did.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#92 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69716 Posts

This has to be the worse buy ever. 😂

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44591 Posts

Will be curious to see if they want to keep Destiny going or make something new. If they keep Destiny alive maybe they can finally focus on a more story driven experience this time, as Destiny 2 got more content it felt like they archived all that stuff, took the fun out of it by giving players upgraded characters.

Makes more sense they'd go with a single western studio as it's cheaper just to throw a few million at Japanese devs for exclusivity rights than to buy a publisher outright.

See some commenting if this was a good use of money. Sony definitely needs something to respond to the Activision-Blizzard acquisition and this is at least something to signal competitive posture going forward, and timely announcement too. Better than say spending more to buy out a whole publisher. And, depending on what they plan on doing, may be worth the investment. We'll have to see.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By Pedro

@lamprey263: Their future games are going to remain multi-platform. Which begs the question? What is the point? The prices is insane for a single studio.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13668 Posts
@Pedro said:

This has to be the worse buy ever. 😂

In context, it makes the Zenimax deal look like an absolute bargain. The amount of ips, studios and talent MS got for twice as much is unreal.

Bungie sporadically releases some fps games. 3.6 billion is insane.

I don't see how this isn't a knee jerk reaction. MS obviously has a plan with Activision. Sony suddenly decided they need to look strong and paid up the ass for Bungie.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9407 Posts

Hey maybe we'll get Oni 2!

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9554 Posts

Wow this is getting ridiculous. We're going to have 3 gaming companies controlling everything if this continues.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44591 Posts

@Pedro: like putting them on Xbox or PC too? I figured Sony would be putting all their stuff on PC eventually.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17838 Posts

Is that just for Destiny and the Bungie studio? Of course they didnt get Halo (still MSs IP). what else did they get?

Hmm. on the other side Sony have a good track record of introducing new IP. A new bungie IP backed by sonys resources could be of interest. They also dont have a FPS outside killzone (which has been idle for quite some time). so maybe they are thinking of taking a punt at that.

Or a Marathon reboot. Do bungie still own that? Ah marathon...i could never get it to run well on my crappy mac back in the day...but it looked cool. I also love the name :P.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 Pedro

@lamprey263: It seems both.