Sony Exec Confirms Vita's 10 Year Life Cycle

• 146 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by PSP107 (11659 posts) -

"The conversation turned to the PlayStation Vita, to which I pressed Koller bluntly on its poor sales, and what seems to be an insistence from Sony that Vita is doing just fine contrary to evidence suggesting otherwise. Its selling on target, so everything that youve heard from our execs is true, he said. We certainly entered the next-gen version of the dedicated handheld market with eyes wide open. We knew that this is a very challenging market. Theres certainly competition from tablets and mobile and other things that provides a challenge to the entire dedicated handheld market, not just something that we would enter.

But we did then and we do now feel very confident and very bullish on the platform, for a variety of reasons. First is, again, going to what I mentioned on the console side, the content. The content coming to Vita, not only this holiday [but] what were seeing over the next few years for Vita keeps that development spigot hot.

One of the major strengths of PlayStation Vita, according to Koller, is how ubiquitous the user base is with that of PS3s most hardcore players. We havent gone into the numbers publicly, Koller admitted, but I can tell you that a significant majority, as in most, of the Vita consumers are also PS3 owners. When we look at that, those are people we know very well. Thats a PlayStation Nation consumer who tends to be a loyalist. They buy multiple platforms from us. So we know their purchase behavior. We know the games they like. We know what makes them tick.

Koller also confirmed that -- like PS2 and PS3 before it -- Sony intends on supporting the PlayStation Vita for a full 10 years. Were in year one, so well be supporting it for some time. But yeah, it does have its own 10-year life cycle. All of our platforms do its a marathon, not a sprint. We expect long-term success from all our platforms.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/09/30/sony-exec-i-feel-great-about-whats-coming

#2 Posted by bobbetybob (19111 posts) -
Good luck with that.
#3 Posted by todd2r_Partdeux (780 posts) -
10 years?!? Sony wont be around in 10 years. Vita won't be around in 1 more year. I might help them out though. I might go buy one and bust it with a baseball bat just for the fuk of it.
#4 Posted by Gue1 (9354 posts) -
#5 Posted by BPoole96 (22784 posts) -
Longest funeral ever
#6 Posted by Ly_the_Fairy (8652 posts) -

It's been dead pretty much since release.

#7 Posted by Pittfan666 (8532 posts) -
It barely survived a single year, doubtful the thing makes it to 3 years.
#8 Posted by shadiezz2012 (2557 posts) -
the comments here are the same one about ps3 when it launched the same doom and gloom
#9 Posted by Bigboi500 (29062 posts) -

Playstation Vita will do just fine despite haters' worst intentions.

#10 Posted by rjdofu (9170 posts) -
[QUOTE="shadiezz2012"]the comments here are the same one about ps3 when it launched the same doom and gloom

I look at the present, not an unknown future. The current state of the Vita is not good at all.
#11 Posted by Blake135 (3994 posts) -

Bigboi500

Fine but not well, by any means.

#12 Posted by YoshiYogurt (5973 posts) -
10 years? Are they joking? Not even the game boy lasted 10 years!
#13 Posted by CoolSkAGuy (9665 posts) -
Sony needs a pokemang sort game :P. they're fun and addictive. Call it Vitamons jajaja
#14 Posted by shadiezz2012 (2557 posts) -
[QUOTE="rjdofu"][QUOTE="shadiezz2012"]the comments here are the same one about ps3 when it launched the same doom and gloom

I look at the present, not an unknown future. The current state of the Vita is not good at all.

i know that but the system only had a year i would give atleast another year before saying it will die
#15 Posted by Zaibach (13430 posts) -

Sony needs a pokemang sort game :P. they're fun and addictive. Call it Vitamons jajajaCoolSkAGuy

goddamn you that made me chuckle :P

#16 Posted by Bigboi500 (29062 posts) -

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

Blake135

Fine but not well, by any means.

It'll never overtake the 3DS, or have as many great games, but will be good enough to stick around and have unique and great games of its own.

#17 Posted by MFDOOM1983 (8453 posts) -
I'd be surprised if it's still around 12 months from now.
#18 Posted by danish-death (5314 posts) -
Sony sure must be betting everything they got on dat Assassin's Creed game and LBP + those buy-1-get-2 offers along with CoD this Winther. I'm not sure it'll work as they intent. In fact I'm not sure on what they are trying to accomplish. Maybe they already knew it would be a disaster the first year and is hoping it will pick up once the price cut hits. Meh. As long as I'm getting at least some games. This year is rather packed though.
#19 Posted by 23Jarek23 (2617 posts) -

He must be out of his damn mind, cell phones will out perform the Vita within 5 years.

#20 Posted by shadiezz2012 (2557 posts) -

He must be out of his damn mind, cell phones will out perform the Vita within 5 years.

23Jarek23
since when cell phones are facing Vita ?
#21 Posted by MFDOOM1983 (8453 posts) -

23Jarek23
Smart phones should either match or exceed PS Vita's hardware in another year.
#22 Posted by Zaibach (13430 posts) -

It will be discontinued any day now, right Danish and Blake?

#23 Posted by cloudff7tm (3975 posts) -

Kinda doubtful about that, but I hope it makes it that long.

#24 Posted by PSP107 (11659 posts) -
[QUOTE="shadiezz2012"][QUOTE="23Jarek23"]

On a broader scale it is.
#26 Posted by danish-death (5314 posts) -

23Jarek23
Dunno. Dedicated gaming devices can hold out for some time and will have games with a bigger budget and more talent. Dedicated gaming devices will always be superior in one way or another. Sony is also launching PS Mobile next week. However, I'm not disregarding smart phones since they're starting to put out some rather good looking games. Although I'm not about to buy an Iphone 5 to play a racing sim that might look good, but plays like ass.
#27 Posted by MFDOOM1983 (8453 posts) -
[QUOTE="PSP107"][QUOTE="shadiezz2012"][QUOTE="23Jarek23"]

It would crazy to think that there wasn't any overlap.
#28 Posted by MFDOOM1983 (8453 posts) -
[QUOTE="23Jarek23"]

danish-death
Dunno. Dedicated gaming devices can hold out for some time and will have games with a bigger budget and more talent. Dedicated gaming devices will always be superior in one way or another. Sony is also launching PS Mobile next week. However, I'm not disregarding smart phones since they're starting to put out some rather good looking games. Although I'm not about to buy an Iphone 5 to play a racing sim that might look good, but plays like ass.

You don't have worry about real racing 3 playing great if the previous entries in the series are any indication. 2 in particular was fantastic. BTW you won't need a iPhone 5 to play it.
#29 Posted by TheDidact (3981 posts) -
It may not even make it to it's third year, let alone it's tenth.
#30 Posted by Slow_Show (2153 posts) -

Good to know. Because execs are always straightforward and truthful about these things, and definitely don't have any incentive to lie about how long their struggling handheld will be supported.

#31 Posted by louisfoxton (1383 posts) -

Longest funeral everBPoole96
The Thread

#32 Posted by cainetao11 (16454 posts) -
First off I own a Vita and really like it. I use this for field training a nd it's a god send when away from home for long stretches. Second, do you expect an exec to say, "yeah it's really bombing"? I enjoy it, and hope for more PSP BC from it (MGS PO and PW please) but its an open wound business wise.
#33 Posted by nameless12345 (15125 posts) -

Assuring your product will be supported 10 years when not even your previous product (i.e. PSP) lasted so long yet?

Good strategy, Sony :P

#34 Posted by DarkLink77 (31684 posts) -

Yeah, that'll be the day. Vita is on life support and it's not even a year old.

#35 Posted by cainetao11 (16454 posts) -

Assuring your product will be supported 10 years when not even your previous product (i.e. PSP) lasted so long yet?

Good strategy, Sony :P

nameless12345
True. But until the powers that be shut down major production, they will keep it out there. If that happens it will be MS' fault for ruining gaming somehow.
#36 Posted by TheEroica (13221 posts) -
Sony explains away shiity hardware launches and poor business approaches with "ten year life cycle"... kinda fukin brilliant to be honest.
#37 Posted by TheEroica (13221 posts) -
[QUOTE="PSP107"][QUOTE="shadiezz2012"][QUOTE="23Jarek23"]

Portable gaming... yup they are on the same scale. To me anyway. The vita would kicked so much a$s 5 years ago... now its like a little casket to remind us what handheld gaming coulda been if not for smartphones.
#38 Posted by bob__ (36 posts) -

The Vita was actually aborted

#39 Posted by istreakforfood (7749 posts) -
10 years of being dominated by Nintendo's handheld confirmed.
#40 Posted by CanYouDiglt (7288 posts) -
[QUOTE="shadiezz2012"]the comments here are the same one about ps3 when it launched the same doom and gloom

Well to be fair the PS3 has been last the entire time so those comments were not way off.
#41 Posted by mariokart64fan (19348 posts) -

alright sony you want a titanic you got one because i swear if you keep insisting on releasing nothing but games that are on wii u , your going to be on the short end of the stick ,

the 3ds is already out selling your handheld it would be sad if wii u ends up selling more then 5 million in its first 2 months world wide

if that happens it would already outsell the 3-4 million vitas sold world wide

#42 Posted by charizard1605 (55311 posts) -
I want to see it survive beyond this year first. Hell, the PSP didn't last ten years, and that did better than the Vita ever will
#43 Posted by PA_DUTCH (908 posts) -

Yeah. I love my Vita. Lots of hate here. That's fine i heard it all the time with the PSP. Looking forward to Ragmarok, Creed, Street X Tekken, maybe madden? That will keep be busy for a bit

#44 Posted by hoola (6422 posts) -

Too bad it has very few good games in the pipes. The 3DS honestly looks better to me.

#45 Posted by Mr_BillGates (3186 posts) -

Damn. By then, Angry Bird 2 will come out with better technical feats.:lol:

#46 Posted by shadiezz2012 (2557 posts) -
[QUOTE="CanYouDiglt"][QUOTE="shadiezz2012"]the comments here are the same one about ps3 when it launched the same doom and gloom

Well to be fair the PS3 has been last the entire time so those comments were not way off.

lol yeah the fastest selling console this gen that come after xbox 360 year and half later and manged to close the gap from 8m to 2m is doomed :lol::lol:
#47 Posted by TheDidact (3981 posts) -
[QUOTE="shadiezz2012"][QUOTE="CanYouDiglt"][QUOTE="shadiezz2012"]the comments here are the same one about ps3 when it launched the same doom and gloom

lol yeah the fastest selling console this gen that come after xbox 360 year and half later and manged to close the gap from 8m to 2m is doomed :lol::lol:

Fastest selling console this gen?! The Wii surpassed 95million units and came out after the PS3 :roll:
#48 Posted by shadiezz2012 (2557 posts) -
[QUOTE="shadiezz2012"][QUOTE="CanYouDiglt"]Well to be fair the PS3 has been last the entire time so those comments were not way off.TheDidact

Fastest selling console this gen?! The Wii surpassed 95million units and came out after the PS3 :roll:

lol didn't know that ok 2nd fastest ;)
#49 Posted by Nengo_Flow (9376 posts) -
Good luck with that.bobbetybob
#50 Posted by lundy86_4 (42805 posts) -

Longest funeral everBPoole96

Yup.