So why is XCOM 2 not a multiplat?

• 126 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

CroidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 CroidX
Member since 2013 • 1561 Posts

You would think a sequel to a game that was a multiplat would be one t but now its a exclusive for reason to developer will explain soon. We normally don't see this to games nowadays.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#2 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

Developer decided, plus if any genre is gonna be PC exclusive, might as well be this one

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

Are yout hat dense you dont look up history of series?

And maybe it will come to consoles

DeathLordCrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4 DeathLordCrime
Member since 2014 • 893 Posts

inb4 Mac and Linux are separate platforms

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

Maybe the console version didn't sell enough?

IGN already said Firaxis will explain the reason for exclusibity on Friday, so just wait. I still expect a port latter

StealthMonkey4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 StealthMonkey4
Member since 2009 • 7434 Posts

It will most likely be ported to consoles later down the road.

GodspellWH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By GodspellWH
Member since 2013 • 1078 Posts

@StealthMonkey4 said:

So waiting for a confirmation lol Can't wait to hear on Friday why they decided its as a exclusive

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

@deathlordcrime said:

A long argument with SW Mods that almost got me suspended.

If a piece of software is available on a WinPC and and Mac, those are two differentplatforms. That's truth in every world but SW, apparently...

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

Well according to steamspy xcom sold 2,6 million copies on pc so far while if i'm not mistaken both consoles together sold 1m so yeah not sure it worth the money putting it on consoles

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11  Edited By GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

It's likely due to console sales of the last game being disappointing and they want to gauge potential uptake before sinking resources into a console release. That and Firaxis are predominately a PC developer, so perhaps they just want to keep the home crowd happy by developing the game on PC first.

There are a few developers out there who like to cater for their core audience as a priority.

Or maybe they just think the new consoles are shit and don't want to waste good money on them :p

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

I don't understand why people get their nuts in a bunch when certain games aren't immediately announced as multiplat.

First of all, the previous game made shittons of cash and was on every platform in existence. 2K loves money and I'm sure they will port this game to the high heavens. It's probably scheduling or something.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58964 Posts

Sadly, simple movie games primarily appeal to the modern console consumer, sales of Call Of Duty, Beyond Two Souls and The Order 1999, all solidify this fact.

For games featuring extreme levels of substance, the pc is a more viable platform.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#14  Edited By jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

My guess is on they would like to avoid some recent launch issues there game has had and plan on buckling down and making sure the PC version gets the job done from the get go. It's the platform they are best equipped for. After that they will port it to consoles with hopes of avoiding some of the nasty bugs they had on consoles last time.

It's not some stupid "console plebs don't appreciate blah blah" routine, because the game did extremely well.

It's not some "they are making a true PC game", because it's a turn based strategy game for starters, and Enemy Within wasn't exactly UFO defense or Xenonauts.

Probably has more to do with making their job easier.

TheFadeForever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 TheFadeForever
Member since 2013 • 2655 Posts
@GarGx1 said:

It's likely due to console sales of the last game being disappointing and they want to gauge potential uptake before sinking resources into a console release. That and Firaxis are predominately a PC developer, so perhaps they just want to keep the home crowd happy by developing the game on PC first.

There are a few developers out there who like to cater for their core audience as a priority.

Or maybe they just think the new consoles are shit and don't want to waste good money on them :p

Firaxis was never really successful with console in any of their games in the past. Its good they focus on something they actually excel at.

BlueEyedCasva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By BlueEyedCasva
Member since 2015 • 599 Posts

Not all games need to be multi-plat and are do well on their own. I think this is a very good thing and the developer are playing it smart instead of trying get a quick buck that won't help them in the long run.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

Who knows...smaller team and they want to focus all their efforts on one version and port later.

@StealthMonkey4 said:

^

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

It'll come to consoles sooner or later. Most games do.

CroidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By CroidX

@locopatho said:

I can't wait to hear what they have to say on why they made it exclusive hopefully they mention poor sales that would be kicker

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

@TheFadeForever said:
@GarGx1 said:

Firaxis was never really successful with console in any of their games in the past. Its good they focus on something they actually excel at.

They traditionally make long, complex games that still have you playing at 4am on a weekday with work in the morning. No quick fix gaming with a Sid Meier production, also when they simplify them for console U.I. and controllers, they don't translate particularly well. Xcom EU for a decent game but could have been much better.

I'm fine with them putting games on console, the more people who get to play good games the better but these kind of games need to be done on PC first and then ported over and simplified.

They made the same mistake with Starships and going for the tablet crowd and it was shit.

ABtoxin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ABtoxin
Member since 2014 • 438 Posts

This is good news they are focusing on making it the best game possible.

-God-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By -God-
Member since 2004 • 3627 Posts

@StealthMonkey4 said:

Just like the other games from Firaxis...oh wait...

@locopatho said:

Happens to every system, even more so to the endangered species known as "console exclusives". It's simply how the industry works these days. And it's a great thing for the gamers.

But all things considering, probably not this game. Firaxis are mostly PC only, and the first one didn't sell that great on consoles.

StealthMonkey4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 StealthMonkey4

@-God- said:
@StealthMonkey4 said:

Just like the previous XCOM game, which was even ported to mobile...

GodspellWH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By GodspellWH
Member since 2013 • 1078 Posts

@StealthMonkey4 said:
@-God- said:
@StealthMonkey4 said:

Which didn't even sale well and mobile port were shit

-God-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By -God-

@StealthMonkey4 said:
@-God- said:
@StealthMonkey4 said:

Which sold poorly thus making this one an exclusive, straight from the devs mouth.

It's good though, it won't be dumbed and will be played to its strengths.

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#28  Edited By GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts

@StormyJoe said:
@deathlordcrime said:

A long argument with SW Mods that almost got me suspended.

If a piece of software is available on a WinPC and and Mac, those are two differentplatforms. That's truth in every world but SW, apparently...

I agree, PS3 and PS3 Slim are all different platforms.

TheFadeForever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 TheFadeForever

@-God- said:
@StealthMonkey4 said:
@-God- said:
@StealthMonkey4 said:

Which sold poorly thus making this one an exclusive, straight from the devs mouth.

Shit will hit the fans if the developer say the console sales were bad guess we going have to wait and here their response

StealthMonkey4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By StealthMonkey4

@-God- said:
@StealthMonkey4 said:
@-God- said:
@StealthMonkey4 said:

Show me where the devs said XCOM EU sold poorly on consoles? You say 5% PC sales on GTA V is good, yet criticize XCOM for low console sales?

I can't find exact numbers (except just US sales in the first month), but judging that 2K has said the game is a "commercial success" (source), and there are 112,000 game owners on the XCOM PSNP page alone (source) (PSNP only tracks 2.2m PS3 gamers out of the total 80m PS3 owners), I'd estimate that lifetime console sales are easily 500k.

DeathLordCrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By DeathLordCrime
Member since 2014 • 893 Posts

@StealthMonkey4 said:
@-God- said:
@StealthMonkey4 said:
@-God- said:
@StealthMonkey4 said:

Show me where the devs said XCOM EU sold poorly on consoles? You say 5% PC sales on GTA V is good, yet criticize XCOM for low console sales?

I can't find exact numbers (except just US sales in the first month), but judging that 2K has said the game is a "commercial success" (source), and there are 112,000 game owners on the XCOM PSNP page alone (source) (PSNP only tracks 2.2m PS3 gamers out of the total 80m PS3 owners), I'd estimate that lifetime console sales are easily 500k.

LOl yet your using steamspy that only estimates owners off of samples collected which also does not account for private account or copy bought outside of steam. 112,000 yep sounds about poor

StealthMonkey4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 StealthMonkey4

@deathlordcrime said:
@StealthMonkey4 said:
@-God- said:
@StealthMonkey4 said:
@-God- said:
@StealthMonkey4 said:

LOl yet your using steamspy that only estimates owners off of samples collected which also does not account for private account or copy bought outside of steam. 112,000 yep sounds about poor

PSNP is mainly a trophy website and only tracks less than 5% of PS3 gamers. So yes, if it has 112k players, that's actually fairly high. For reference, GTA V has 656k owners tracked on PSNP, while the actual number of PS3 sales is 10-15m+.

DarthRamms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 DarthRamms
Member since 2013 • 1128 Posts

@StealthMonkey4 said:
@deathlordcrime said:

PSNP is mainly a trophy website and only tracks less than 5% of PS3 gamers. So yes, if it has 112k players, that's actually fairly high. For reference, GTA V has 656k owners tracked on PSNP, while the actual number of PS3 sales is 10-15m+.

Yep so high there not even a confirm console version

-God-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By -God-

@StealthMonkey4 said:

GTAV has sold in the millions in only 1 month for PC. XCOM on Consoles sold in the low hundred thousands.

Those are great sales for GTAV, and one of the many reasons why more often console multiplats/exclusives reach PC than the other way around.

flashn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 flashn00b
Member since 2006 • 3949 Posts

While i'm a PC-first kind of guy, I will admit that PC or consoles, system exclusivity on third party title is figuratively chopping off your extremities.

StealthMonkey4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 StealthMonkey4

@-God- said:
@StealthMonkey4 said:

GTAV has sold in the millions in only 1 month for PC. XCOM on Consoles sold in the low hundred thousands.

Those are great sales for GTAV, and one of the many reasons why more often console multiplats/exclusives reach PC than the other way around.

XCOM is a much more niche, budget game, so you can't compare raw numbers and call it a day. GTA V sales on PC represented roughly 5% of the total sales, while XCOM console sale represented about 20% of the total sales. And many PC exclusives have been ported to consoles such as Killing Floor 2, Risk of Rain, DayZ, H1Z1, Tropico, The Talos Principle, Planetside 2, Vanishing of Ethan Carter, etc.

-God-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 -God-

@StealthMonkey4 said:

XCOM is a much more niche, budget game, so you can't compare raw numbers and call it a day. GTA V sales on PC represented roughly 5% of the total sales, while XCOM console sale represented about 20% of the total sales. And many PC exclusives have been ported to consoles such as Killing Floor 2, Risk of Rain, DayZ, H1Z1, Tropico, The Talos Principle, Planetside 2, Vanishing of Ethan Carter, etc.

Apparently thats too low sales to validate porting to consoles and taking the effort to make it work well.

Also, yes many PC exclusives are ported. But it happens more often for consoles. This is why PC has more exclusives than all three systems combined every year.

Skelly34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Skelly34
Member since 2015 • 2353 Posts

Cause console gamers are too dumb to like tactical games lel.

StealthMonkey4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 StealthMonkey4

@-God- said:
@StealthMonkey4 said:

Apparently thats too low sales to validate porting to consoles and taking the effort to make it work well.

Also, yes many PC exclusives are ported. But it happens more often for consoles. This is why PC has more exclusives than all three systems combined every year.

PC has more exclusives because it is the easiest to develop for and as a result has many niche, budget games that are exclusive. Pretty much the only AAA exclusives that PC gets are MOBAs, MMOs, and RTSes.

And as I have said before, it seems likely that a console port will be coming at a later time. PC gamers oftentimes get months or years late ports but then when it is the other way around and a game is not announced on consoles, they act as if it is impossible that it will ever be ported from PC to consoles later down the road.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

@StealthMonkey4 said:
@-God- said:
@StealthMonkey4 said:

PC has more exclusives because it is the easiest to develop for and as a result has many niche, budget games that are exclusive. Pretty much the only AAA exclusives that PC gets are MOBAs, MMOs, and RTSes.

And as I have said before, it seems likely that a console port will be coming at a later time. PC gamers oftentimes get months or years late ports but then when it is the other way around and a game is not announced on consoles, they act as if it is impossible that it will ever be ported from PC to consoles later down the road.

Just a point here. The only AAA exclusives consoles get are the ones payed by manufacturers.

AAA development is far to expensive to keep to a single platform nowadays.

-God-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By -God-

@StealthMonkey4 said:
@-God- said:
@StealthMonkey4 said:

Hey, I'll take exclusive AAA Moba, Twitch Shooters, TBS, RTS, MMO, Sims, and A/CRPGs over Interactive-Movies, Sports, and CoD clones.

Facts are facts, consoles lose exclusives at a far higher rate. Small or Big. Don't expect this on consoles any time soon, if ever.

DarthRamms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By DarthRamms

@StealthMonkey4 said:
@-God- said:
@StealthMonkey4 said:

Rarely played any games ported years down the line on PC. Funny how you mention games that aren' t even on the console yet. Where Day Z, Planetside 2 , H1ZI ,and Vanishing of Ethan Carter? Not even a release date and Planetside 2 may never even come.

StealthMonkey4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 StealthMonkey4

@DarthRamms said:
@StealthMonkey4 said:
@-God- said:
@StealthMonkey4 said:

Rarely played any games ported years down the line on PC. Funny how you mention games that aren' t even on the console yet. Where Day Z, Planetside 2 and Vanishing of Ethan Carter?

Releasing in the coming months. I could understand waiting for a niche game like the ones I listed, but I don't know how PC gamers waited two years to play GTA V, the biggest game in years. Then again, based on the sales, not too many of them even bought the game.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#44 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

My theory is this.. It will be multiplat and will come out for consoles at a later date.. For a turn based game there really isn't a reason not to have it on the console.. I mean you have all the time in the world to decide, so your not hampered by a controller.. My theory on why they are releasing on the pc first imo has pretty much to do with the fact of the Long War Mod which completely revamped the game in numerous ways.. That the developers saw just how much a dedicated modder can do for their game as well as make it popular again later on.

DarthRamms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By DarthRamms

@StealthMonkey4 said:
@DarthRamms said:
@StealthMonkey4 said:
@-God- said:
@StealthMonkey4 said:

Rarely played any games ported years down the line on PC. Funny how you mention games that aren' t even on the console yet. Where Day Z, Planetside 2 and Vanishing of Ethan Carter?

Releasing in the coming months. I could understand waiting for a niche game like the ones I listed, but I don't know how PC gamers waited two years to play GTA V, the biggest game in years. Then again, based on the sales, not too many of them even bought the game.

You never gave any official sales number for GTA V and that's good estimates considering its been out for a bit over a month on PC. Planetside 2 isn't niche and it wasn't release 2 years on PC.

BlueEyedCasva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 BlueEyedCasva
Member since 2015 • 599 Posts

@StealthMonkey4:

A game that release barely a month ago and your saying those sales are bad. Why XCOM probably never pulled anywhere close to those numbers on console in three years.

TheFadeForever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 TheFadeForever

@blueeyedcasva said:

@StealthMonkey4:

A game that release barely a month ago and your saying those sales are bad. Why XCOM probably never pulled anywhere close to those numbers on console in three years.

Yep somehow being a but over a month old with those sales are somehow bad.

CroidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By CroidX

@StealthMonkey4:

If your going to pull shit like that I might as well use vgchartz which puts the game barely at around 600,000 in three years since its been out.

StealthMonkey4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 StealthMonkey4

@CroidX said:

@StealthMonkey4:

If your going to pull shit like that I might as well use vgchartz which puts the game barely at around 600,000 in three years since its been out.

That's a much more impressive percentage than GTA V PC sales.

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

Basically what Deadline Zero said. Answer is coming Friday, so no need to guess.