So now your console is only good for 3 years. Not worth buying consoles anymore.

• 69 results
tjandmia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By tjandmia
Member since 2017 • 3728 Posts

So now your super mega powerful PS5 is getting an upgrade after 3 years, before you really even get any great games for it. That's just fantastic. $500 down the drain after 3 years. Now your powerful console has been downgraded to the base model. 🤦‍♂️

It's not worth buying consoles anymore.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#2 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34614 Posts

So don't.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Silentchief
Member since 2021 • 6868 Posts

Imagine how PC gamers feel.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50561 Posts

Why is it 500 down the drain? Is my console going to stop working?

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Litchie

@silentchief said:

Being able to enjoy the best of everything, while upgrading however much you want whenever you want? Yeah, it sucks.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12572 Posts

@silentchief: That’s what I was thinking. Flawed logic. Imagine your GPU becoming obsolete every year because a better one comes out? That’s what this poster is basically saying.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Silentchief

@Litchie said:
@silentchief said:

Being able to enjoy the best of everything, while upgrading however much you want whenever you want? Yeah, it sucks.

Unless you bought the latest GPU/ CPU you are not enjoying the best of everything.

GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By GhostOfGolden
Member since 2023 • 2465 Posts
@tjandmia said:

Now your powerful console has been downgraded to the base model. 🤦‍♂️

But it was the base model when it launched in 2020. A low/low-mid tier PC from 2017. When you only spend $500, you get what you pay for. And the PS5 Pro won’t be all that powerful either. But what did you expect, your $500 purchase made years ago to keep you on the cutting edge? That’s not how technology works.

“Powerful” and “console” aren’t words that belong next to each other.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 GirlUSoCrazy  Online
Member since 2015 • 1055 Posts

The introduction of a Pro console doesn't make the launch console unviable.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44566 Posts

Since I don't game on PS5 much I wouldn't bother with an upgrade, just hold out for PS6. I'd splurge in an upgraded Xbox but doubt one is coming, but I would since I do most my gaming in it. I wouldn't blame someone who games on PS5 a lot to buy the upgraded PS5s if they game a lot on it and the improvements are substantial.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Litchie

@silentchief said:
@Litchie said:
@silentchief said:

Unless you bought the latest GPU/ CPU you are not enjoying the best of everything.

With consoles you are never enjoying the best of everything.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

Sorry, but unless pc invents an SSD on par with what's inside my PS5, i can't take hermits seriously.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Silentchief
@Litchie said:
@silentchief said:
@Litchie said:
@silentchief said:

With consoles you are never enjoying the best of everything.

But at least you're not paying $1500 for a rig that will be obsolete in 12 months.

ENI232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ENI232
Member since 2020 • 1005 Posts

I believe turds took over the video game industry. Things started becoming poop during the PS4 era. Video games were more fun all the way to the PS3 time.

adsparky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#15 adsparky
Member since 2006 • 2565 Posts

That's an exaggeration, and even if it wasn't; 3 years is a lot, most devices just get an average of 1 year and then there is a new better version of it.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7233 Posts

I buy my console knowing their will be another system in a few years it was the same last gen and games are still releasing for it today in 2024.

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 3056 Posts

Can't you apply that logic to any purchase? Cellphones, tvs, cars, washing machines, etc?

PC = Ferrari - faster, prettier, annoying maintenance,

Console = Toyota Camry - gets you to work, holds groceries, cheaper oil change

I would love if they quit trying to make consoles compete with PCs. Consoles should focus on couch co-op and LAN. I think it was Armored Core 3 or thereabout, that allowed you to hook up five PS2s (4 players and 1 spectator). That sounds so cool to me. Or what they should've done with WiiU is have a d&d like game where the tablet holder is the DM, dropping monsters, traps, buffs on the other players. Or play as the big boss. Or hook up your psp/Vita/ds to unlock a different way to play/interact. I'm sure you guys could come up with way better ideas I am, but there are so many ways to make/have more fun that aren't being explored. We're just stuck on "do the same thing, and add mtx". It's f#cking boring.

Get offline, and hangout with some real friends.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#18 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17810 Posts

How dare they give customers options to buy superior hardware while continuing to support existing hardware?!

Saint-George

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Saint-George
Member since 2023 • 1250 Posts

And by the time any games are available for it the ps6 will be due to release 🤣😂

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#22 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69488 Posts

Unless the PS5 stops playing games this thread is silly.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#23  Edited By Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7204 Posts

Meanwhile my Switch is going on year 8 and plays the latest Switch games just the same. 😎

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Last_Lap
Member since 2023 • 6048 Posts

@ghostofgolden: Nah it's Nintendo, powerful and console that doesn't belong together.

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 dimebag667

@onesiphorus: Huh? How do warranties apply to this conversation? OP was insinuating that a product loses all value when a newer edition of that product is released. Which is objectively untrue. I don't understand how warranties are relevant.

I have no clue what the difference is between every product a person could buy. But even so, most cars cost considerably more than video game consoles. Same with washing machines. So a more robust warranty makes sense. Does the duration of a warranty not factor in the likelihood of failure? If a toaster is likely to last a lifetime, why wouldn't they put a lifetime warranty on it? It installs confidence in the customer, it probably won't need to be replaced, and is relatively cheap even if they have to. I doubt the same for a car. But you are correct that we live in a culture where most products are meant to be disposable. You can buy a new flashlight headlamp for less than the replacement batteries. It's ridiculous. We live in a society of oblivious excess. Buy, consume, dispose, repeat. Where do the materials to produce the products come from, who is gathering the materials, is it slave labor, who profits, are the products safe, where are they disposed, what effect does that have on the planet? I don't know, but it keeps me up at night.

But again, I'm not sure how this applies to the topic 😜

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#26  Edited By Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7204 Posts

@dimebag667: Stop buying cheap crap from China mate. Plenty of amazing quality creators out there still that last an insane amount of years. Yes, we still have tailors, stop buying pants sewed together by Chinese sweat shops. Your local tailor can sell you a custom pair of jeans that will last 10 times as long.

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 dimebag667

@mesome713: I dunno. Those little Chinese hands do a pretty good job on my off the rack jeans 🤣. They cost between $75-90, and last 5-10 years.

I've only ever had one thing tailored, and that was a suit. Other than that, I don't really care about clothes. I wear tshirts and shorts half the year, and jeans the other half.

But we weren't talking pants, we were talking about cars and cellphones. And that wasn't even the original topic either. I was just being silly with all the warranty stuff. I'm not sure why we're talking about any of this, when my point was that consoles should stop trying to be PCs. I don't know what is going on 🤷‍♂️. I feel like the next response is going to be about how I should get over my frivolous gas consumption and ride a train or something. Like WTF is going on? 🙃

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Last_Lap
Member since 2023 • 6048 Posts

Whaaaaat? Just because they release an upgraded console doesn't mean the one you currently own suddenly stops working. I think that's enough internet for you today OP 🤣

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#29 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58315 Posts

This is why you go PC.

Current-gen GPU's will last the current generation and next iteration, and likely half the iteration after that. Was rocking my GTX 980 well into the RTX 20xx iteration before I upgraded.

People often think that just because you're on PC you have to spend an arm and a leg but you really don't. It might be more expensive than a console, especially in the short term, but it's not prohibitively more expensive (especially in the long term).

To each their own, though. There's no shame in picking an inferior product like a console if you're happy settling 😀

@silentchief said:

Awesome? Validated? Comforted?

Or did you mean "completely unconcerned because we're too busy having fun playing on PC"?

Honestly, they're all true right now.

@Pedro said:

I don't know...is planned obsolescence a thing we should be worried about? It does exist. Not sure if it's something to be worried about with Playstations (or consoles in general).

Sam3231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 296

#30 Sam3231
Member since 2008 • 2951 Posts

Sadly OP I still turn on and use my base Xbox One... how SAD am I??

firedrakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31 firedrakes
Member since 2004 • 4365 Posts

@hardwenzen said:

Sorry, but unless pc invents an SSD on par with what's inside my PS5, i can't take hermits seriously.

you mean that out dated ssd...

we got way better ones

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

@firedrakes said:
@hardwenzen said:

you mean that out dated ssd...

we got way better ones

I don't believe that one bit.

NfamousLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 NfamousLegend
Member since 2016 • 1001 Posts

@mrbojangles25: yup if you know how to shop around and don't mind selling current gear to offset costs, pc is not really expensive. I sold both my 3070 and 3900X to get my current stuff and plan to hold on to it for some time.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#34 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69488 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:
@Pedro said:

I don't know...is planned obsolescence a thing we should be worried about? It does exist. Not sure if it's something to be worried about with Playstations (or consoles in general).

This is not planned obsolescence. You can argue it is perceived obsolescence which is the most common practice than planned obsolescence.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11099 Posts

There is an infinite amount of salt being poured on the PS5 Pro from Xbox fans solely due to MS not announcing an iterative console themselves. If Xbox doesn't do one, it's solely due to demand. Xbox made the Xbox One X and it only lasted a good two years on the market. They already have two SKUs on the market they have trouble selling, they're probably not going to strain what little marketshare they have with pubs by forcing them to cater to a third Series console.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#36 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15925 Posts

IKR? those PC loser with 3090 thinking they part of master race lmao.

Saint-George

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Saint-George

@BenjaminBanklin said:

There is an infinite amount of salt being poured on the PS5 Pro from Xbox fans solely due to MS not announcing an iterative console themselves. If Xbox doesn't do one, it's solely due to demand. Xbox made the Xbox One X and it only lasted a good two years on the market. They already have two SKUs on the market they have trouble selling, they're probably not going to strain what little marketshare they have with pubs by forcing them to cater to a third Series console.

It's ok kid,you're allowed to say the ps5 pro specs are underwhelming and the possibility of more 30fps from another upgrade just won't do.....on 2nd thoughts just stick to the bu bu bu xbox damage control...you're a lost cause.

You're a pathetic Sony Shlong Slurper aren't you.
You're a pathetic Sony Shlong Slurper aren't you.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#38 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9548 Posts

Three and a half years... but who's counting right? On that note ill be getting one day one and I don't give a flying rats balls who doesn't like it... just saying.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 robert_sparkes

The gaming console market is different than pc gaming. The consoles are already dated when released and we all know it.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6848 Posts

It'll be four years by the time the thing releases, not three.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Silentchief

@mrbojangles25 said:

This is why you go PC.

Current-gen GPU's will last the current generation and next iteration, and likely half the iteration after that. Was rocking my GTX 980 well into the RTX 20xx iteration before I upgraded.

People often think that just because you're on PC you have to spend an arm and a leg but you really don't. It might be more expensive than a console, especially in the short term, but it's not prohibitively more expensive (especially in the long term).

To each their own, though. There's no shame in picking an inferior product like a console if you're happy settling 😀

@silentchief said:

Awesome? Validated? Comforted?

Or did you mean "completely unconcerned because we're too busy having fun playing on PC"?

Honestly, they're all true right now.

@Pedro said:

The hypocrisy in your argument is mind boggling. Just so you know any current GPU you have bought right now will most likely be getting trounced by the next gen consoles( PS6 etc).

You are saying planned oobsolescence is something to worry about even though if it's true for consoles it's certainly true for PC.

Put this in the record books, this may be the first time I agree with Pedro.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Silentchief
@saint-george said:
@BenjaminBanklin said:

It's ok kid,you're allowed to say the ps5 pro specs are underwhelming and the possibility of more 30fps from another upgrade just won't do.....on 2nd thoughts just stick to the bu bu bu xbox damage control...you're a lost cause.

You're a pathetic Sony Shlong Slurper aren't you.th

The XSX struggled to beat the PS5 despite superior specs. How is it going to do now that it's getting trounced?

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 GirlUSoCrazy  Online
Member since 2015 • 1055 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

Current-gen GPU's will last the current generation and next iteration, and likely half the iteration after that.

About how many years is that now?

Was rocking my GTX 980 well into the RTX 20xx iteration before I upgraded.

Does that mean it lasted you about 5 years?

Saint-George

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Saint-George

@silentchief said:
@saint-george said:
@BenjaminBanklin said:

The XSX struggled to beat the PS5 despite superior specs. How is it going to do now that it's getting trounced?

Another Bu bu bu xbox

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 robert_sparkes

Think ms will try and outjump the ps6 in 2026 but will need an elder scrolls 6 type launch title to get anywhere.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#46  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58976 Posts

This has been the way of PC gaming since Tomb Raider II.

Every 3 years, a card is worth about the price of a console.

They get to play games like Dragons Dogma 2, at a price of £800 - £1000, where it won't hit 30fps. (9 out of 10)

Very exciting time.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts

@hardwenzen said:

Crucial T705 Gen5 SSD specifications and highlights

• Micron LPDDR4 DRAM, 1GB per 1TB of NAND flash
  • Sequential reads/writes up to 14,500/12,700MB/s
  • Random read/write speeds up to 1,550K/1,800K IOPs
  • Nearly 2x faster than the fastest PCIe Gen4 SSDs
  • Available in premium fan-less heatsink and non-heatsink options
  • Spacious capacity options: 1TB, 2TB, 4TB
  • Microsoft DirectStorage optimized with Phison I/O+ technology
  • Works with PCIe 5.0 desktops and workstations
  • Backward compatible with PCIe 3.0 and 4.0
  • Built with Micron 232-layer 3D TLC NAND
  • PCIe 5.0 and NVMe 2.0
  • M.2 2280, double-sided
  • Phison PS5026-E26 controller
  • Built-in security with AES256 encryption, TCG OPAL 2.01 support, and digitally signed firmware for secure field updates
  • Limited 5-year warranty
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts

@Pedro said:

Yup

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Silentchief

@saint-george said:
@silentchief said:
@saint-george said:
@BenjaminBanklin said:

Another Bu bu bu xbox

You can't really talk about it's specs if you're a console gamer when it will be the most powerful console on the market.