So is VGChartz accurate?

• 51 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for BattlefieldFan3
BattlefieldFan3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BattlefieldFan3
Member since 2012 • 361 Posts

"lol vgchartz"

Yes, they make questionable predictions, but considering that they have Xbone total sales at 2.9 million by the end of December 28th and that Microsoft has just announced they sold slightly more than 3 million by the end of 2013, I'd say VGChartz's numbers have very low margins of error.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

No they're not accurate.

Stop creating threads and go away

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10502 Posts

They guess.

They're not a means of determining accurately, and they do get laughed at, but they are generally fairly close with their estimates.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts

Not really.

BattlefieldFan3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By BattlefieldFan3

@Desmonic said:

They're as accurate as your usual FPS AI companion. Which is to say they shoot a lot, but they never actually make a single kill. They suck.

They were awfully close to the official numbers released by microsoft.

Microsoft announced over 3 million, meaning it was less than 3.1 million, else they would have said greater than or equal to 3.1 million (See sales data released 18 days after Xbone release).

Going by Vgchartz's estimates, 3 million would have been possible with 3 more days of sales.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@BattlefieldFan3 said:

@Desmonic said:

They're as accurate as your usual FPS AI companion. Which is to say they shoot a lot, but they never actually make a single kill. They suck.

Microsoft announced over 3 million, meaning it was less than 3.1 million, else they would have said greater than or equal to 3.1 million (See sales data released 18 days after Xbone release).

Going by Vgchartz's estimates, 3 million would have been possible with 3 more days of sales.

Estimates...still not accurate

killzowned24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 killzowned24
Member since 2007 • 7345 Posts

Accurate enough to be put on Halo's 4 box.

BattlefieldFan3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BattlefieldFan3

@Desmonic said:

@BattlefieldFan3 said:

@Desmonic said:

Like I said. They shoot a lot, but don't actually kill/hit any target.

I don't expect them to have the exact number of units sold, but a margin of error of only .1 million is great in my opinion.

menes777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 menes777
Member since 2003 • 2643 Posts

@killzowned24 said:

LOL they don't care about accuracy

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

They can not account for Digital Copies. How many Digital Xbox Ones were sold? ROFL........LOL no.

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jakandsigz
Member since 2013 • 6341 Posts

@BattlefieldFan3 said:

"lol vgchartz"

Yes, they make questionable predictions, but considering that they have Xbone total sales at 2.9 million by the end of December 28th and that Microsoft has just announced they sold slightly more than 3 million by the end of 2013, I'd say VGChartz's numbers have very low margins of error.

Vg had them at 2.5 and have the PS3 ahead of what sony announced shipped so it could be ahead of the 360. it also is off by more than 60% with most games sales, and not, they usually do not fix them after announcements.

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By glez13
Member since 2006 • 10310 Posts

They basically estimate stuff. That's their limit.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

Yes, they are very accurate, all things considered.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61481 Posts

You're basing this off of a singular occurrence? Their software tracking is horrendous. AFAIK, they were also botching the WiiU sales.

Shottayouth13-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Shottayouth13-
Member since 2009 • 7018 Posts

About as accurate as trying to aim in the toilet after you've had sex.

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts
@lundy86_4 said:

You're basing this off of a singular occurrence? Their software tracking is horrendous. AFAIK, they were also botching the WiiU sales.

yip

this is an isolated incident. i agree with lundi.

BlessedChill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 BlessedChill
Member since 2013 • 697 Posts

@FoxbatAlpha said:

They can not account for Digital Copies. How many Digital Xbox Ones were sold? ROFL........LOL no.

wut?

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 lundy86_4

@BlessedChill said:

@FoxbatAlpha said:

wut?

He meant digital games, I think. VGChartz are known not to track digital, at least for the PC.

Micropixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23  Edited By Micropixel
Member since 2005 • 1383 Posts

VGCHARTZ is not as inaccurate as all of you are claiming. There is a video somewhere from an financial firm that demonstrates how VGCHARTZ collects their tracking data. It's done through retailers. It's a very big operation that requires a lot of time and research by VGCHARTZ (which is why their updates are slow). Sometimes retailers will provide inaccurate numbers which lead to over/under tracking. They do get identified and fixed, but it's usually done late.

Even with their occasional tracking discrepancies, VGCHARTZ is widely used by many financial analysts and advisers in our industry; including Michael Pachter.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 lundy86_4

@Micropixel said:

VGCHARTZ is not as inaccurate as all of you are claiming. There is a video somewhere from an financial firm that demonstrates how VGCHARTZ collects their tracking data. It's done through retailers. It's a very big operation that requires a lot of time and research by VGCHARTZ (which is why their updates are slow). Sometimes retailers will provide inaccurate numbers which lead to over/under tracking. They do get identified and fixed, but it's usually done late.

Even with their occasional tracking discrepancies, VGCHARTZ is widely used by many financial analysts and advisers in our industry; including Michael Pachter.

Could you find that video? I don't think anybody is denying the work they put in... It's just that the work is known to be rather inaccurate.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Chutebox  Online
Member since 2007 • 50558 Posts

No bud, no.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

@killzowned24 said:

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Watch this get completely ignored by the Lems.

Micropixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Micropixel

@lundy86_4 said:

@Micropixel said:

Could you find that video? I don't think anybody is denying the work they put in... It's just that the work is known to be rather inaccurate.

I'm looking for it now. I have it somewhere, but the title of it pertained to something else entirely, so I'm having to go through all of them. As soon as I come across it, I'll link it. I'm leaving for work in 20 minutes so I may not have it up until tonight.

Now that I'm thinking about it, it might have been on one of Micheal Pachter's "Pach Attack" shows.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 lundy86_4

@Micropixel said:

I'm looking for it now. I have it somewhere, but the title of it pertained to something else entirely, so I'm having to go through all of them. As soon as I come across it, I'll link it. I'm leaving for work in 20 minutes so I may not have it up until tonight.

Now that I'm thinking about it, it might have been on one of Micheal Pachter's "Pach Attack" shows.

Thanks. It would be interesting to see.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#29 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

@menes777 said:

@killzowned24 said:

LOL they don't care about accuracy

that actually hurt halo 4 than give validity to vgchartz

Micropixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Micropixel

@lundy86_4 said:

@Micropixel said:

Here it is! I was right, it was one of the Pach Attack shows.

Anyway, it starts about 1:50 into the video (the first two minutes he discusses how much money programmers make).

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

VGCHARTZ doesn't include 80% of PC sales since they are digital.

Very accurate.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 lundy86_4

@Micropixel said:

@lundy86_4 said:

@Micropixel said:

Here it is! I was right, it was one of the Pach Attack shows.

Anyway, it starts about 1:50 into the video (the first two minutes he discusses how much money programmers make).

Cool! So, essentially, they are great if you are tracking historical figures, rather than current... Which makes sense. Still, AFAIK, their software tracking is off... Especially for the PC.

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

They're pretty close, but Lems would like to think otherwise. They're the ones with the biggest issue with VG Chartz.

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Jakandsigz
Member since 2013 • 6341 Posts

@Shewgenja said:

@killzowned24 said:

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Watch this get completely ignored by the Lems.

"Best selling Halo franchise in America" -source, sales data from Microsoft Studios information center.

Maybe the old Halo 4 boxes.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 lundy86_4

@clr84651 said:

They're pretty close, but Lems would like to think otherwise. They're the ones with the biggest issue with VG Chartz.

Evidence? Actual evidence, and not just bullshit.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#36 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19544 Posts

Depends what you're looking for. If all you're looking for is estimates to give you a rough idea of how much a product may have sold, then VGChartz is fine, since their margin of error rarely goes beyond 10%. If you're looking for accurate figures of how much has actually been sold though, then VGChartz is indeed unreliable in that regard.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11775 Posts

@MonsieurX said:

No they're not accurate.

Stop creating threads and go away

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

@clr84651 said:

They aren't close at all for PC. Missing 80% which is all digital.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11775 Posts

@clr84651 said:

They're pretty close, but cows would like to think otherwise. They're the ones with the biggest issue with VGChartz.

See I can do it as well. VGChartz becomes important when it favors the cow/lem/sheep at that point in time. All factions have used it in an argument one time or another. It's lame of you to just single out 1 faction.

Mazoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Mazoch
Member since 2004 • 2473 Posts

I think a big part of the issue with VGChartz comes from their handling of PC Game Sales. As others have mentioned, VGChartz doesn't track digital sales, since they account for the clear majority of sales on the PC (In some cases all sales), it lead to VGChatz sometimes being not just off or inaccurate but bizarrely inaccurate (situations like 'guessing' that a game sold 100k while it turns out that it sold millions).

I'd imagine that they are reasonably accurate when it comes to console games sold through retailers. Because that also where they have the most data to work with it's also where they are likely to be best at guessing. The problem is that while they are probably a good guess much of the time in some areas, other times they are way way off the mark. This means that everything they do becomes somewhat dubious.

OhSnapitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 OhSnapitz
Member since 2002 • 19282 Posts

@Jankarcop said:

@clr84651 said:

They aren't close at all for PC. Missing 80% which is all digital.

Exactly! ..but cows would say otherwise.. since Vgchartz always seem to inflate sony numbers.. hmmm

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 freedomfreak  Online
Member since 2004 • 52427 Posts

If it helps my argument.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#43  Edited By Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

@BattlefieldFan3 said:

"lol vgchartz"

I don't follow them enough to comment on this personally, but from what I have read others say they are definitely not very reliable in terms of accuracy of numbers, however it seems that in most cases they simply "under track" , so usually when I look at their numbers I just use that as a point of reference and tell myself we know the actual figure must be higher(? but who knows by how much).

Also, digital sales will increase this generation, and as far as I know they don't have the digital sales numbers.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

People love to hate on VGC, but what they don't love to do is provide a better source.

PsychoLemons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 PsychoLemons
Member since 2011 • 3183 Posts

No.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By lundy86_4

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

People love to hate on VGC, but what they don't love to do is provide a better source.

No need. If the original source is in question, then it isn't necessary. We aren't talking a peer-reviewed source...

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@BattlefieldFan3 said:

"lol vgchartz"

Very close in deed 2.9 by the 28th is real close i wonder how close is for the PS4.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

stormtroopers are more accurate

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

@lundy86_4 said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

No need. If the original source is in question, then it isn't necessary. We aren't talking a peer-reviewed source...

And without a source to back up your claim that it is in question, all I can say is

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

@freedomfreak said:

If it helps my argument.

lol...pretty much this.