So if console games are 1080p/high res textures, whats the point of PC?

• 134 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts
[QUOTE="ArchoNils2"]

PC already does everything better and will increase while next gen systems stay the same. Also PC keeps freedom (Mods, where to buy the games, what accessoirs to use etc.)

realguitarhero5
Plus it's cheaper. So why would you ever go console? Because you don't know any better or are in denial.

exclusives
Lumpy311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 Lumpy311
Member since 2013 • 2009 Posts
[QUOTE="realguitarhero5"][QUOTE="ArchoNils2"]

PC already does everything better and will increase while next gen systems stay the same. Also PC keeps freedom (Mods, where to buy the games, what accessoirs to use etc.)

PurpleMan5000
Plus it's cheaper. So why would you ever go console? Because you don't know any better or are in denial.

exclusives

We have lots of great exclusives too.
Rayne718

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 Rayne718
Member since 2011 • 184 Posts

Consoles will NOT be running native 1920x1080 at 60fps. They will be barely running at 1280x720. My PC has been doing this for the past 10 or so years. So yes, there is a point to a gaming PC. If you want the best possible experience. 

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#54 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

[QUOTE="AdrianWerner"]

It's like 720 in 2005. PCs will get higher res and better textures again. Even next-en games are plagued from low-res textures in some places and in other their quality could still be improved.

Then there's also 3D, occulous rift, multiple or ultra-wise monitors etc.

BeardMaster

displays seem to have plateaued at 1080p, at least for now. How much higher res can textures realisticallty get before people stop noticing?

What a dumb thing to say, not seen a 1440p monitor have you?

DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 DaBrainz
Member since 2007 • 7959 Posts
Consoles still lack good strategy games. They need to adapt kb&m standard before they can evolve.
Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#56 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

Assuming a non 1440 or 4k display, whats the benefit to be had for a triple SLI titan rig vs a next gen console? Typically this gen the PC advantage was 1080p and high res textures. Once consoles are running 1080p and high res textures, whats the benefit to PC? more particle effects? better lighting?

will it actually make a noticeable difference?

BeardMaster

Do you honestly think that resolution/framerate is the only thing worth owning a PC over a console?

Do you honestly think that PC hardware will remain static troughout the next generation?

I think you should have thought about those questions, and answered those questions yourself before making this thread.

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10310 Posts

This reminds me of an 8 year old thread but with the resolution value changed and the high res textures replacing online.

DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#58 DJ_Headshot
Member since 2010 • 6427 Posts

These are my reasons for spending $500 on upgrading my PC vs buying a PS4 or XB1

1. Tons of cheap games for sale on Steam,Humble Bundles, and other DD sites
  2. All the PC exclusive games I can't play anywhere else
  3. All the current gen game multiplatform games that run and look better on pc that won't be on next gen console like Bioshock Infinite,Sleeping Dogs, and Crysis 3
  4. Can use mouse and keyboard in games not everyone likes it but I do especially for fps which I'm a big fan of.
  5. I like having my pc being used for all my entertianment needs and not having to switch to another device.

PS4 or XB1 will only have a few games at luanch and cost $60 + having to pay yearly for online PC was defiantly the better choice for me personally.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#59 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

60 fps, 120 fps, higher res textures, multi tasking, multi monitor displays, mods, various genres, etc

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

I game at 2550 x 1440 so stick your 1080p where the sun don't shine.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46512 Posts

If you're spending over 3000 for graphics cards alone and only going with 1080p then you're doing it wrong.

Unetteh

this

If you can spend that money on graphics cards, get 3 4K monitors or something.

Plagueless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Plagueless
Member since 2010 • 2569 Posts

Assuming a non 1440 or 4k display, whats the benefit to be had for a triple SLI titan rig vs a next gen console? Typically this gen the PC advantage was 1080p and high res textures. Once consoles are running 1080p and high res textures, whats the benefit to PC? more particle effects? better lighting?

BeardMaster

Immediate problem.   You DON'T run triple Titans at 1080p.  Complete waste.  Triple Titans will push 3 1440p monitors in surround.  That's what Titans are for.

Brendissimo35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 1

#63 Brendissimo35
Member since 2005 • 1934 Posts

You mean besides mods, superior controls, better deals, and endless backwards compatibility? The fact that a wide variety on PC hardware out there already outpaces the consoles yet to be released, or the fact that 1920x1080 is simply not that high res. I am glad for the next gen of console hardware though. That pitiful amount of RAM that has been limiting level design in multiplats for years will finally be gone.

mastershake575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 mastershake575
Member since 2007 • 8574 Posts

BeardMaster

For sure (even at 1080p). All of the main settings (such as shadows/textures/water....ect) will be at least 1 if not 2 levels/settings above the consoles (even at launch). You also have 60/120FPS and advanced settings such as 16xAF and 8xAA (both of which make a huge difference).

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#65 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

I guess this console owner doesn't know anything about previous gens...

Ly_the_Fairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Ly_the_Fairy
Member since 2011 • 8541 Posts

The point of PC?

On Steam alone 17 new games released last week.

Seems like a good enough reason to continue having a PC.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

Because PC games will still be ahead in gfx and performance,  + perks like mods and better online more competative scene more games more exclusives more gamers more sales etc

naz99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 naz99
Member since 2002 • 2941 Posts

What a tool...

Do you really think the  only reason people game on pc is for grahics?....

1.Its an open platform

2.different types of games and more genres of games

3.mods

4.20+ years of a back catalog

There you go 4 out of many simple reasons why we own and prefer Pc's

As usual another dumbass thread from System Wars..oh how we love it so :P

DefconRave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#69 DefconRave
Member since 2013 • 806 Posts

Many more options for controls: Kb/m, controller, joy stick, fight pad, occulus rift, heck even kinect

Freedom to upgrade as little or as much as you want, when you want. No need to wait 8 frickin years :lol:

Superior graphics that improve over time.

Higher resolution, higher framerate

Great sales and full price games that are $10 cheaper than console prices.

Mods Many competing Digital retailers which bring down prices even more.

Genres like RTS/TBS/simulators only possible/or play best on pc

Indie games/kickstarter/ports from ios/android

Freetoplay games that don't suck (mostly)

Free online :lol:

Apart from games can be used for work/surfing the net etc.

PC exclusives like Star Citizen/Total War series

Superior multiplats

Oh, can watch movies/netflix/skype etc ;)

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26649 Posts
Keyboard and mouse > controllers for most games.
millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts
Im with you TC. Can't think of many .
Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

you tell me when consoles can do 1080p and constant 60 fps, with all the eye candy enabled. Consoles to me, an enthusiast of hardware are already old and low spec. They aren't even out and their specs are garbage, i cant even imagine in 4-5 years, and i highly doubt they can do 1080p and 60 fps right now.

menes777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 menes777
Member since 2003 • 2643 Posts

you tell me when consoles can do 1080p and constant 60 fps, with all the eye candy enabled. Consoles to me, an enthusiast of hardware are already old and low spec. They aren't even out and their specs are garbage, i cant even imagine in 4-5 years, and i highly doubt they can do 1080p and 60 fps right now.

Krelian-co

1080p is even yesterdays technology.  ;)

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Krelian-co

Many more options for controls: Kb/m, controller, joy stick, fight pad, occulus rift, heck even kinect

Freedom to upgrade as little or as much as you want, when you want. No need to wait 8 frickin years :lol:

Superior graphics that improve over time.

Higher resolution, higher framerate

Great sales and full price games that are $10 cheaper than console prices.

Mods Many competing Digital retailers which bring down prices even more.

Genres like RTS/TBS/simulators only possible/or play best on pc

Indie games/kickstarter/ports from ios/android

Freetoplay games that don't suck (mostly)

Apart from games can be used for work/surfing the net etc.

PC exclusives like Star Citizen/Total War series

Superior multiplats

Oh, can watch movies/netflix/skype etc ;)

DefconRave

this, im too lazy to explain the peasants, ofc they will ignore it anyway and keep telling themselves there is no difference :lol:

menes777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 menes777

[QUOTE="DefconRave"]

Krelian-co

this, im too lazy to explain the peasants, ofc they will ignore it anyway and keep telling themselves there is no difference :lol:

Paying for online has always been a plus for Xbots now Cows think the same thing too! 

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Krelian-co

[QUOTE="Krelian-co"]

menes777

my tv / monitor are 1080p :(

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#77 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

The pc is still needed for work, so I guess it's not useless.

ramonnl
That's true and posting crazy comments on this site. lol!!
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#78 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

If you have to ask what is the point of a PC then you've clearly never played games on a PC before. Playing games on a PC is a much more personal experience that has far more breadth and depth than a console. Not only is the game library significantly larger, the types of games available shadow anything any console has to offer.

PC gaming excels in ways that can't be described to people who have never actually sat down with a real gaming PC and played a variety of games. Once you do it, there is no going back to a simple console.

Consoles are just that, very simple devices. They have one real function and they aren't even that great at it. Even with the new features of the next gen consoles they still greatly lag behind what a PC can do for a gamer.

It's not about graphics or controls, it's about the experience you get on a PC. You totally customize your gaming experience for yourself. Each person who plays on a PC has their own way of approaching everything. The way they buy games, the way they control games, the way they view games, they way they play the games. All of it is tailored just for the individual gamer. It's something you can only get if you put some time into building a gaming station for yourself. 

Consoles are a great addition to PC gaming as they compliment the highly customizable experiance with something that is much more relaxed and casual. They can never compete with what you can do with a PC.

menes777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 menes777

[QUOTE="menes777"]

[QUOTE="Krelian-co"]

Krelian-co

my tv / monitor are 1080p :(

My response is mostly tongue in cheek.  My tv only does 768p (720p) so I am kind of behind the curve there.   Kind of just poking fun at the TC for making such a big deal out of 1080p.  :)

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#80 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

Im with you TC. Can't think of many .millerlight89
Didn't you used to be a hermit?

nitekids2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 nitekids2004
Member since 2005 • 2981 Posts

If you have to ask what is the point of a PC then you've clearly never played games on a PC before. Playing games on a PC is a much more personal experience that has far more breadth and depth than a console. Not only is the game library significantly larger, the types of games available shadow anything any console has to offer.

PC gaming excels in ways that can't be described to people who have never actually sat down with a real gaming PC and played a variety of games. Once you do it, there is no going back to a simple console.

Consoles are just that, very simple devices. They have one real function and they aren't even that great at it. Even with the new features of the next gen consoles they still greatly lag behind what a PC can do for a gamer.

It's not about graphics or controls, it's about the experience you get on a PC. You totally customize your gaming experience for yourself. Each person who plays on a PC has their own way of approaching everything. The way they buy games, the way they control games, the way they view games, they way they play the games. All of it is tailored just for the individual gamer. It's something you can only get if you put some time into building a gaming station for yourself. 

Consoles are a great addition to PC gaming as they compliment the highly customizable experiance with something that is much more relaxed and casual. They can never compete with what you can do with a PC.

Wasdie

Get off your high horse. The best games this gen are all on consoles. 

Bebi_vegeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 Bebi_vegeta
Member since 2003 • 13558 Posts

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

nitekids2004

Best games... they're on every platform.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#83 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

Even higher resolutions and even better textures.

Was that really so hard? It's like you don't understand that technology continues advancing between console generations, and that PC capabilities aren't topped out a certain level, waiting for consoles to catch up.

menes777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 menes777

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

nitekids2004

LOL Which are you pot or kettle?

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 the_bi99man

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

nitekids2004

Oh look at that, more opinions being thrown around like they're a legitmate counter to facts. 

Just another day in system wars.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 the_bi99man

[QUOTE="AdrianWerner"]

It's like 720 in 2005. PCs will get higher res and better textures again. Even next-en games are plagued from low-res textures in some places and in other their quality could still be improved.

Then there's also 3D, occulous rift, multiple or ultra-wise monitors etc.

BeardMaster

displays seem to have plateaued at 1080p, at least for now. How much higher res can textures realisticallty get before people stop noticing?

I don't know. Quite a bit, though. I've seen 1440p, and it's an extremely noticeable step up from 1080p. Seen 2K, and it's a huge step from 1440p. Seen 4K, and it's still a massive improvement. Not surprised that a console fanboy doesn't get it, though. You've probably only even seen real 1080p half a dozen times.

slimjimbadboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 slimjimbadboy
Member since 2006 • 1731 Posts

I can't wait for next gen consoles to come out so I can always play 1080/60fps.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd
deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

User Lists: 1

#88 deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd
Member since 2008 • 4403 Posts

slimjimbadboy

Facepalm_animated_gif.gif

Showing up pretty late to the thread, I see...

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#89 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15583 Posts

PC's have already moved well beyond 1080p. Try checking out multi-monitor setups sometime, or hell, just a 2560x1600 monitor. And yes, it makes a difference.

slimjimbadboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 slimjimbadboy
Member since 2006 • 1731 Posts

[QUOTE="slimjimbadboy"]

realguitarhero5

Facepalm_animated_gif.gif

Showing up pretty late to the thread, I see...

swarriors getting riled

nitekids2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 nitekids2004
Member since 2005 • 2981 Posts

[QUOTE="nitekids2004"]

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

Bebi_vegeta

Metacritic and Gamespot disagrees with you. 

Bebi_vegeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 Bebi_vegeta
Member since 2003 • 13558 Posts

[QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

[QUOTE="nitekids2004"]

nitekids2004

Metacritic and Gamespot disagrees with you. 

Oh really, where can you find the best game simulator ?

Heck Metacritic disagrees with you... when looking at the best games of all time, I find just about every platform in the top 10.

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 jhonMalcovich
Member since 2010 • 7090 Posts

BeardMaster

You´d better ask yourself what is the point of consoles ? Why should choose platforms that take 5 years to get up-to-date with average PC Gaming quality.

I don´t like second places and being ripped-off.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#94 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
I'll be quite surprised if PS4/Xbone games are all 1080p, 60fps, 8xMSAA and 16x anisotropic filtering.
tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

You´d better ask yourself what is the point of consoles ? Why should choose platforms that take 5 years to get up-to-date with average PC Gaming quality.

jhonMalcovich

Rip off.?

Build me a PC with $399 that can compete with the PS4.

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 jhonMalcovich
Member since 2010 • 7090 Posts

[QUOTE="jhonMalcovich"]

tormentos

Rip off.?

Build me a PC with $399 that can compete with the PS4.

Online Subscription. Plus find me a console deal that allows me to buy all these games for one dollar.

https://www.humblebundle.com/

• Game boxDead Space
    Origin icon Steam icon
  • Game boxBurnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box
    Origin icon Steam icon
  • Game boxCrysis® 2
    Maximum Edition
    Origin icon Steam icon
  • Game boxMirror's Edge
    Origin icon Steam icon
    Game boxDead Space 3Origin icon
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#97 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Online Subscription. Plus find me a console deal that allows me to buy all these games for one dollar.>jhonMalcovich
Or pay a few more and get another two whole games. I bought two copies of the bundle, one for me and one for my GF.
Mcspanky37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 Mcspanky37
Member since 2010 • 1693 Posts
There are more to graphics than resolution and textures. PC's can still exceed consoles in physics, lighting, shaders, animations, and a million other things. And the textures on PC will still be better.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#99 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

nitekids2004

Best games this gen have been multiplats. A great game doesn't stay exclusive for long. Only the biggest fanboys here believe the best games were exclusive games. 

Scores mean absolute jack shit in the long run. They are relevant for the game's launch, that's about it. Time is the only true judge of a game. The perfect 10s that Gamespot gave out this gen didn't stand the test of time at all. Hell recent games like TLoU have fallen out of the spotlight. 

Very few games ever truely stand the test of time and the vast majority of the ones that do are on the PC as it's the only platform where you can continue to play those games for years to come. 

Ly_the_Fairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 Ly_the_Fairy
Member since 2011 • 8541 Posts

[QUOTE="jhonMalcovich"]Online Subscription. Plus find me a console deal that allows me to buy all these games for one dollar.>foxhound_fox
Or pay a few more and get another two whole games. I bought two copies of the bundle, one for me and one for my GF.

It's not only the insanely cheap games, but c'mon. Who expects a PC with infinite functionality to come near the price of a $400 close-environment box direct from Sony?

You might spend an extra $200-$400 for a PC up front (I'm using one from 2009 that cost me $650), but the value is what really matters.

17 games released on Steam alone in the last week (Steam is not the entirety of PC gaming). What are the numbers like for consoles?

On top of that it's all the free content, the insanely awesome game deals, and every game performs better.