SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45115 Posts

Steam machines were supposed to destroy consoles, but PS4 is still kicking ass and taking names and now both PS4 and Xbox One are getting upgrades. And yet, we still don't hear much about Steam machines. Can we say game over to these things? Pun intended.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

Steam machines were supposed to destroy consoles,

Did any reasonable person actually believe that?

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#3  Edited By Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

Steam machines were supposed to destroy consoles, but PS4 is still kicking ass and taking names and now both PS4 and Xbox One are getting upgrades. And yet, we still don't hear much about Steam machines. Can we say game over to these things? Pun intended.

Steam machines were meant to put PC gamers into the living room. It was never meant to compete with consoles because it's practically a home theater PC. It's better to just build one yourself.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 dynamitecop
Member since 2004 • 6395 Posts

Steam Machines are just PC's, so no, they're not a failure.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#6 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

I think the pre-built ones are. Has anyone bought one? Steam OS may have value as the library continues to grow and people can build their own steam machines. Honestly, the target consumer for a steam machine is the type of person who can and will build one when the value is there (i.e., myself, other pc gamers).

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#7 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58975 Posts

Episodic gaming - Flop

Pay for mods - Flop

Steam Machines - Flop

Steam Controller - Flop

Steam VR - Flop

Making games - CBA

Kruiz_Bathory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#8 Kruiz_Bathory
Member since 2009 • 4765 Posts

It's just much better to build your own PC with a mainstream OS such as Windows because it is obviously better. SteamOS was for things like that shitty Alienware platform, to play on the living room but hell just move the tower there and hook it up to the tv. You can use the trusty xbox 360 controller with no issues and you're good.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9  Edited By navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17426 Posts

I bought a Alienware Alpha a while back to test and i can see the merit but i dont think they are marketed well. Console gamers arent really into tweaking settings and PC gamers want more power. They are ok for console gamers who just wamt to play pc games without modding or overclocking as usung steam big picture doesnt allow that. You'd have to boot in desktop mode.

thepclovingguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 thepclovingguy
Member since 2016 • 2059 Posts

The steam machine is just a waste of cash, but I really like the steam controller, much better than any other controller I ever tried.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts

They had zero impact on consoles and never will.

MISTER_Davis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 MISTER_Davis
Member since 2016 • 286 Posts

LMMFAO, what else would they be. LOL AT THE HERMS THAT THOUGHT THIS WOULD BE A SUCCESS.

Console gaming as always been the future eversince it stared. And pc gaming floats away into mindless mmo land.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17426 Posts

@mister_davis said:

LMMFAO, what else would they be. LOL AT THE HERMS THAT THOUGHT THIS WOULD BE A SUCCESS.

Console gaming as always been the future eversince it stared. And pc gaming floats away into mindless mmo land.

Hermits were laughing from the beginning. They knew these things were underpowered and overpriced and even the weakest versions were more powerful than the consoles. Console owners were hyping because they could play PC games and claim PC had no exclusives.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11797 Posts

It still has a long way to go. I'm impressed ever since Valve announced their Linux gaming plans the amount of support for Linux has drastically increased in 5 years Linux could be considered almost as viable as Windows as a gaming platform. I doubted that Linux would be anywhere viable for gaming but look at it now.

It seems clear that SteamOS is far from complete as Valve still calls it a beta. Valve needs to get apps like Geforce Experience, AMD Gaming Evolved, Netflix, Hulu, Twitch, and etc onto Steam Big Picture and SteamOS. Not to mention getting big publishers like EA, Activision, and Ubisoft to make SteamOS and Linux versions of their games.

They're also lacking in marketing.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@navyguy21: I never heard one console gamer hyping steam machines, maybe you're from an alternant universe or something?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
Member since 2015 • 2814 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

Steam machines were supposed to destroy consoles

Anybody that ever thought that Steam Machines were going to destroy consoles is very out of touch with reality.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@thepclovingguy: i'd be interested in hearing more about the controller - i'm intrigued

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44564 Posts

Steam machines weren't designed to destroy consoles, they were out to push a new custom Linux OS build that Valve could profit from in the long run by subverting the Microsoft / Windows for gaming paradigm, they failed. They tried to push a narrative that Windows was a closed system. It obviously wasn't, and Gabe knew that, he just saw an opportunity to make a power play and he took it. I mean, sure he failed, but what did they fail at? They didn't take over the PC world, they're still the top dog digital retailer for gaming. And, at least out of it they got MS giving them lip service to guarantee Windows 10 wouldn't interfere with Steam's ability to work on their new OS, which if anything is nothing more than ego massage for Gabe.

svaubel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 133

#19 svaubel
Member since 2005 • 4571 Posts

Of course they are.

Everyone instantly forgot about them shortly after release.

The are overpriced and underspecced compared to just building a gaming PC or going to BestBuy.

Avatar image for deactivated-583c85dc33d18
deactivated-583c85dc33d18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-583c85dc33d18
Member since 2016 • 1619 Posts

There used to be a time when consoles were good, and now they clearly aren't.

I attribute this to Steam Machines.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#21 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Yeah. I called it too, but I remember quite a few Valve fanboys on this board arguing with me, calling me ignorant, and saying I would be wrong.

I wonder where they all are now.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#22 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

No sales data.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@beardmad: Maybe you haven't heard, but consoles are selling like crazy, pretty sure they're still good.

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

The good thing to come about from it all, was the Steam Controller. It's pretty good.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

As a software platform, SteamOS is a failure.

Avatar image for shadowchronicle
Shadowchronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#26 Shadowchronicle
Member since 2008 • 26969 Posts

With the steam consoles they seem to be prepared for a specific audience so they were definitely not going to sell like hotcakes. I mean if you think about it, its for the people who don't want to deal with the complications of installation and building a pc. Its also nice it is a steam console meaning it should work with games on steam while introducing the Linux os.

I don't really consider them PCs though, they're really just advanced consoles with no console exclusives.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

I wish I was in charge of some of these companies.

Valve: Let's Build steam machines against the ps4/xb1/wiiU (you're fired)

Microsoft: Lets Build windows phones vs all the ios/android (you're fired)

Sony: Lets build PS Vita vs all the smartphones/tablets (you're fired)

Think how much money some common sense would help these companies? It's not like you can't see these things getting utterly annihilated. Let's get rekt'd by a saturated market.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

They were a failure, a big failure. Too underpowered for PC gamers and nothing interesting for console gamers. Poor marketing, I could walk into my nearest GAME and pick up a PS4 or X1 console yet I couldn't buy a "Steam machine".

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17819 Posts

overall yes but to break it down.

OEM steam boxes: a failure. not one OEM managed to get the balance of price and performance just right. OEMs have a long history of making a mess of initiatives to try and sell PCs. i suppose one of the big problems is that OEMs dont make games so they have to sell the hardware at a profit. but they still didnt do anything to try and attract people to steam boxes.

Steam OS: sadly, so far, it hasnt made any sort of dent. the reality at the moment is that linux is still not ready for gaming. as i have said, it could be a fabulous gaming OS. but developers dont develop for 1% of the market. personally i continue to use steam on ubuntu and buy my games using a linux based OS as much as possible but i wouldnt recommend it to anyone who just wants to sit down and play some games. if you are curious and have a spare or old gaming computer though then it can certainly be interesting.

drivers are still an issue. on the AMD side we may finally, finally, be getting the drivers sorted with more open drivers which is great, but polaris will be in a bit of a no mans land in terms distro releases until october.

there has been a lot of progress in terms of game engine support, tools, debugging and so on it has to be said and, in fairness, the games i have played on linux generally just work (serious sam 3 is the only anomoly so far). games also keep coming. not the AAA blockbusters (which would certainly help) but it has better 3rd party support than the wiiu at least :P. but its still very much a work in progress.

at the moment i just dont see where the breakthrough will come from though in terms of more people using it. the desktop is pretty much the only area where linux is not thriving. unless HL3 is announced as a steam OS exclsuive (which would be a disaster) or there is a sudden breakthrough and all of a sudden all games are working faster on linux it is a hard sell at the moment. i do hope there is a breakthrough though.

on a side note though...my old PC (using a Phenom 2 X5 955BE and 4GB of ram and ubuntu 16.04) just clobbered windows 8.1 on a core i7 4700mq on boot speed (both using SSDs). linux distros are properly quick and i reckon if games were developed for linux (and the drivers were sorted) then gaming on linux would also be quite the performer.

steam controller: absolutely brilliant and i think its doing pretty well. there are active communities around it. for a lot of games itll beat a traditional controller. the trackpads are awesome, the flappy paddles should become industry standard and, overall, its just a pleasure to use. there are some issues on the software side but there has already been a ton of improvements since launch and they are still coming with each steam update. as a concept i think its a great success. the only major change i would make is make the left trackpad small and have it stick out a bit more so that it can be used like a proper d-pad.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#30 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

They filled a hole in a niche market. Not a failure, just not a success either.

Xaviersx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Xaviersx
Member since 2003 • 213 Posts

I'd like seeing the sales figures put into perspective with the announces from Valve, it's boss, and the surrounding press/media's expectations and proclamations. It was hyped "politically" (Valve vs Microsoft Windows version x that's not game friendly...) as much as commercially . . is it a failure'success on some level that touts the beginnings or just trots along forgetting that scuffle?

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

I would say no, Steam Machines are just custom PCs like have always been sold. Just like all PC parts, people will buy them. Steam Machines were never expected to over take consoles or windows, it was meant to take Linux and SteamOS gaming to the next level, which was a success.

Steam Machines dont have to sell a million, all they have to sell are about 1-2K. Just like all expensive PC parts, they are designed for low sales. Yall think because only 2K people buy a Asus GTX 1080 its a failure? Nahh, the world dont work like that.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

Juub1990

Aside from a handful of exclusives, consoles have nothing to offer over PC any more.

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/gabe-newell-valves-steam-machines-outperform-conso-32735680/

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/are-console-gamers-scared-of-the-alienware-steam-m-31018735/

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/steam-machine-500-pc-impact-on-pc-gaming-30955240/

Memorieeeeeesssssss..

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By iandizion713

@tormentos: Now with the release of new cards like the Asus GTX 1080, Steam Machines just got cheaper. Gone be good!

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

If it weren't for SW, I wouldn't even remember that they exist.

Seriously, outside of this forum I've only talked to one person about it and he was just bashing the idea.

Pretty sure if I went around asking random people what a Steam Machine is, they'd think it's some kind of wrinkle remover.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56109 Posts

Steam Machines are like micro consoles in the way that they're good ideas with a poor executions.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Tons of hermits on this board said they would destroy consoles. lol

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#38 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

@cainetao11 said:

No sales data.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts

I never expected much from them. Never saw the point. Why get a PC and limit yourself like that.

Flyincloud1116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Flyincloud1116
Member since 2014 • 6418 Posts

@lostrib: Look below, nyadc did and still does.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61486 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

Steam machines were supposed to destroy consoles

Who honestly said that in any serious way? They would be a literal moron.

Anyway, I haven't seen sales figures, so it's hard to say... Though they have seemingly fallen off the radar. Still, they were only small form-factor PCs at the end of the day.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

I never thought they'd make an impact on console or PC gaming.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#43 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14496 Posts

Conceptually a modular console could've been a thing, but it required more money to get off the ground than Valve appeared ready to commit. And it now seems MS is beating them to it (stay tuned).

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#44 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts
  1. Steam Machines weren't made to kill Consoles. They were made for people, who are looking to get into PC Gaming but don't know where to begin.
  2. It's a long term plan and it's too early to say anything. Valve's bigger plan is to make linux more mainstream, and it'll take several years, just like how Steam took several years to become mainstream. In early years, people use to laugh at Steam and bash it, today it's biggest distribution platform on PC. So, I'll wait patiently and see where they go next in coming years first before concluding anything. Valve likes to take baby steps.
GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#45 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Episodic gaming - Flop

Pay for mods - Flop

Steam Machines - Flop

Steam Controller - Flop

Steam VR - Flop

Making games - CBA

You forgot

Game store - Unbelievably successful.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44564 Posts

Yes and no. No because Valve let third parties make them at non risk to themselves. Yes, it was a failure since it's real purpose was to scare PC gamers into abandoning Windows for Linux and hopefully adopting their OS build, which to plan future revenues from, over scare tactics that Windows would be a closed system, which still persists. Why don't people ever rebel and condemn Apple products for such reasons?

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By iandizion713

@lamprey263: They do, Apple use to be more closed, but now they accept other media formats then ones they own. Its a battle over accessibility. If Apple were in Microsoft shoes, they be under attack just as much. Microsoft can never be trusted because of how much control they have over the market and how closed they are.

Its why we give so much power to Linux, Google, Steam, and other open source supporters. We must find balance to counter such closed source control in the future.

Many countries around the world are uniting under the open source flag. These helps regulate greed and keep them in check. Even Nintendo sided with open source long ago. Nintendo even developed an open source OS and gives open source code. Can all be found here at Nintendos website.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 cainetao11

@Ant_17 said:
@cainetao11 said:

No sales data.

And yet a SW user bought one. So there is at least one sale LOL

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#49 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

@cainetao11 said:
@Ant_17 said:
@cainetao11 said:

No sales data.

Seriously? Who?

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 cainetao11

@Ant_17 said:
@cainetao11 said:
@Ant_17 said:
@cainetao11 said:

No sales data.

Seriously? Who?

Cant remember their name, but they had a female avatar with her butt partly uncovered; bought an Alienware Alpha steam machine. He didn't like it because the steam OS doesn't support every game at this point rendering his library partly useless.