chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

User Lists: 0

#151 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

There were certain gripes I had with Skyward Sword like the Dowsing and the lack of stuff to do whilst flying a Loftwing but overall I thought some of the temples were actually pretty good. The one with the ship espically and the Ancient Cistern very clever. I also actually liked the Bug item as well.

The game is far from perfect and it's no Ocarina beater but still a game I play again and again on the Wii.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#152  Edited By bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts

@SexyJazzCat: xenoblade chronicles has the best soundtrack of all time.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#153  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

@Shinobishyguy said:

@MirkoS77:

A link between worlds is proof that you can freshen the series up (wall merging, non linear approach to dungeons) without getting rid of what makes a zelda game what it is.

You don't have to get rid of dungeon crawling, puzzle solving, and all the things that people play the series for to avoid stagnation

Yea I'd be ok with that. I suppose maybe I just would like Nintendo to bring the series up to modern standards in terms of presentation, and also go back to what made the series great: exploration. SS was a step back. I would love to see a Zelda look like that tech demo shown a few years ago. And I think most importantly, Nintendo needs to get rid of the handholding. ALBW leaves me hopeful.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154  Edited By MirkoS77

@charizard1605 said:

@locopatho said:

@charizard1605:

If you say so. I don't really see much connection between the handheld ones and the console ones.

The DS Zeldas both focused on new control schemes (namely the ones that their hardware enabled), and also focused on dungeon design over overworld exploration, leading to linearity, a segmented overworld, and a general loss of player agency. The DS Zeldas also focused on characterization. All of this was also true for Skyward Sword, which focused on new control schemes enabled by its hardware, focused on dungeon exploration over the overworld, leading to linearity, a segmented overworld, and loss of player agency, and it focused on characterization.

A Link Between Worlds is a 'back to the basics' approach- it focuses on an open world, a lack of linearity in dungeon progression, an attempt to introduce multiplayer to the series, and finally, it is an attempt at breaking away from the series' norms- all of these are also stated goals for the Wii U Zelda game.

The handheld Zelda titles always influence the console ones- if the 3DS's first Zelda game had been like the DS ones, I would have been worried. As it is, A Link Between Worlds is sort of an alpha test for what the Wii U game will be like.

After having had some time to reflect on ALBW, I've come to believe that making dungeon progression non-linear was a wrong step. In fact, at the end I though the whole buying your items mechanic drastically removed a large part of the enjoyment. Within a few hours of starting, I was pretty much able to go anywhere I wanted on the map. There was no wonder, no "remember to come back here later to see what I can get" feeling. It was like as if Metroid had a shop I could go to to open up any area......it's antithetical to what makes the games fun. To their very nature and design.

I'm not saying the execution wasn't there. ALBW is excellent in its own right but for a Zelda, the fun part, that feeling of accomplishment beating a boss to get an item to now access a new area, was relegated to the exchange of coin. It sucked and I hope that feature will not be present in the U game.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#155 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts

@MirkoS77: the item shop idea I agree wasn't as executed as well as it could've been. If it were up to me I'd have the items obtained in caves and sidequests that you could just stumble upon. Still I liked the end result of freeing up the game

Mario1331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156 Mario1331
Member since 2005 • 8929 Posts

@Shinobishyguy said:

@MirkoS77: the item shop idea I agree wasn't as executed as well as it could've been. If it were up to me I'd have the items obtained in caves and sidequests that you could just stumble upon. Still I liked the end result of freeing up the game

like this. who the hell complains about an item shop?

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 MirkoS77

@Mario1331 said:

@Shinobishyguy said:

It's a very valid complaint when the manner in which it was implemented ran counter to what makes so enjoyable.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#158 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

Skyward Sword has very good music but everyone knows Tropical Freeze is soundtrack of the forever.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#159 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@Mario1331 said:

@Shinobishyguy said:

Er, when the item shop is the basis of the game, a complaint against a perceived lack of execution of it is a pretty valid one :/

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#160  Edited By Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts

@charizard1605: still it's nowhere near game ruining. It sacraficed the feel of item progression which sucks but it resulted in a non linear experience with next to no handholding. I think the tradeoff was fair, epseically considering it was an experiment in them shaking up the flow of the game

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#161 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@Shinobishyguy said:

@charizard1605: still it's nowhere near game ruining. It sacraficed the feel of item progression which sucks but it resulted in a non linear experience with next to no handholding. I think the tradeoff was fair

It's not at all; I thought it formed a great base, and though it was lacking in execution by the end, it was a great first attempt, and can only be improved upon from here. But Mario's assertion that complaining about the item shop was nitpicking, as though the item shop was something trivial, was laughable. it makes me think that Mario hasn't actually played the game yet, and thought the item shop was a peripheral mechanic in ALBW, similar to how it is in other Zelda games.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#162  Edited By Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

@cainetao11: list is based on soundtracks, not overall quality

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#163 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

Ok, after beating Burial at Sea Episode 2, Bioshock Infinite might have my favorite soundtrack this gen.